Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 1 User in Chat
Top 4G63 Technical 4G63 Tech topic #6417
View in linear mode

Subject: "Looking for another BB" Previous topic | Next topic
FakeIDJul-06-03 04:52 AM
Member since Nov 02nd 2002
73 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#6417, "Looking for another BB"

Can anyone recommend a different board? I'm looking for one that is focused on the turbo cars. Maybe one that will recognize a newbie and not avoid replying.?.
I've gone to DSMTuners and they won't accept my MSN hotmail account. And DSMTalk isn't accepting registrations.
I've been able to find alot of good info on boh of these boards, as well as this one But not being able to share info, either this BB won't answer or the other I can't post, SUCKS.

TIA, Sam

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: Looking for another BB, TeamJeff_99gs, Jul-06-03 06:14 AM, #1
RE: Looking for another BB, ModeratoreclipzGST, Jul-06-03 07:46 AM, #2
      RE: Looking for another BB, FakeID, Jul-06-03 05:03 PM, #3
           RE: Looking for another BB, Diceman19, Jul-06-03 05:57 PM, #4
                RE: Looking for another BB, TeamJeff_99gs, Jul-07-03 06:36 AM, #5
                     RE: Looking for another BB, FakeID, Jul-07-03 06:18 PM, #6
                          RE: Looking for another BB, TeamJeff_99gs, Jul-07-03 06:29 PM, #7
                          RE: Looking for another BB, HybriDSM, Jul-07-03 06:40 PM, #8
                               RE: Looking for another BB, FakeID, Jul-08-03 08:13 AM, #9
                                    RE: Looking for another BB, TeamJeff_99gs, Jul-08-03 08:24 AM, #10
                                         RE: Looking for another BB, FakeID, Jul-08-03 04:46 PM, #11
                                              RE: Looking for another BB, ModeratoreclipzGST, Jul-08-03 05:09 PM, #12
                                                   RE: Looking for another BB, TeamJeff_99gs, Jul-08-03 05:51 PM, #13
                                                        RE: Looking for another BB, FakeID, Jul-09-03 06:27 PM, #14
                                                             RE: Looking for another BB, TeamJeff_99gs, Jul-09-03 08:21 PM, #15

TeamJeff_99gsJul-06-03 06:14 AM
Donating 2GNT member
5473 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#6418, "RE: Looking for another BB"
In response to Reply # 0
Jul-06-03 06:15 AM by Jeff_99gs

Umm...you actually need to post questions in order for them to be answered

I can probably answer any questions you will come up with. Just stick it out here!

Newbies are very welcome here.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

ModeratoreclipzGSTJul-06-03 07:46 AM
Old School 2GNTer
7335 posts,
#6419, "RE: Looking for another BB"
In response to Reply # 1

Yes, Jeff will never let a post in this section go neglected.
If you ASK, he will ANSWER.

-Tony '98-GST
eclipzgst@charter.net

http://eclipzgst.webhop.net
http://www.newengdsm.org/

turboclipz on AIM

FakeIDJul-06-03 05:03 PM
73 posts,
#6420, "RE: Looking for another BB"
In response to Reply # 2

OK I guess I shouldda said that I haven't had any experience in the 4g63 forum cause I haven't asked any Q's here. My problem area's were created be Q's not being answer that I had another user ask. He's got a 2gnt so the Q's were not asked in here. Nor were they answered. A few got whored but no worthwhile answers.

Yah, instead of asking for a new BB I shouldda give you guys a chance. And I will. I guess I'll introduce myself.
Hi, I'm the newbie... My name is Sam, I usually go by GOTSWRV but the BB was having issues when I tried to first get on. Nothing was working so just for shitts I put in a "fake id". I'm an apprentice toolmaker for GM. 27, married, 2 kids. I dig going around corners in a big way.
I recently bought a 95' TSi AWD as a beater. I needed something to drive while I do some of that down time type of custom work on my S-10. Starting with my in-progress 6spd swap
Well right off I started thinking about switching which was the beater. The S might get a turbo but it won't be the monster I was going for anymore. It's in pretty bad shape(the TSi). Looks to have been wrecked at some time, had the motor out, and some punk that knew nothing about wiring standards was incharge at some point. Many of my Q's will be about how this supposed to be as not much is Next spring I think I should have the monies to do a 6 bolt with a G25 and an AEM stand alone. So I'm trying to just patch the TSi up for the now. SRS, ABS, cruise, bad idle, shitfer-clutch, won't close sunroof, surging turbo, oil leaks, transmission/ transfercase leaks, 15's??, drivetrain slop, droopy orginal suspention.. Just to name a few.

OK, nice book Sam. Sure anytime. Yah, well TTFN.

Diceman19Jul-06-03 05:57 PM
Donating 2GNT member
4629 posts,
#6421, "RE: Looking for another BB"
In response to Reply # 3

dang, better get to work. 1st things first, get a chiltons and a service manual. you can find the electronic version of the service manual floating around here somewhere.

TeamJeff_99gsJul-07-03 06:36 AM
Donating 2GNT member
5473 posts,
#6422, "RE: Looking for another BB"
In response to Reply # 4

Welcome to the board Sam

It sounds like the car needs some work. I'm sure once you get it the way you want, you will realize the potential of these cars and the Talon will be the one getting the upgraded turbo

Feel free to ask questions. I'm here all the time.

FakeIDJul-07-03 06:18 PM
73 posts,
#6423, "RE: Looking for another BB"
In response to Reply # 5

I'm gonna try and swing a turbo for the S. But, the Talon is already the one thats gonna be for the weekends I've been getting taxes back on the order or 8 and am looking foward to another fat check. I've got a list that is at 8600+ and doesn't include wheels or repair/maintance, just goodies. I've informed the wife and strangely she seemed supportive of my new quest.

Now if I could just get a little luck finding the right parts for the 6spd clutch assy. I could finish the S for now and get to tearing apart the TSi.

TeamJeff_99gsJul-07-03 06:29 PM
Donating 2GNT member
5473 posts,
#6424, "RE: Looking for another BB"
In response to Reply # 6

By the way, you don't need a stand-alone computer for the Talon. The stock one works quite well

HybriDSMJul-07-03 06:40 PM
Member since Aug 07th 2002
2407 posts,
#6425, "RE: Looking for another BB"
In response to Reply # 6
Jul-07-03 06:43 PM by HybriDSM

welcome to the board. Any question you have, Jeff should know, and anything he misses might be mopped up by other people here as well, so fire away. If there is something really technical, or you don't wanna wait for an answer from one person, try searching DSMtalk.com or dsmtuners.com, but try here first. Very little gets past Jeff, and as I can attest, he knows a donkey load about these cars.

Again Welcome. And are we going to be seeing you at the shootout to fully indoctrinate you to DSM life? Hope so.

Matt

P.S. I stress search the other boards, as most every question you could possibly have has been answered in depth before.

It's running again shitheads.

http://www.dsmregistry.com/detail.php?carid=791

HybriDSM@gmail.com ; HybriDSM@hotmail.com

Think for yourself. Question authority does not always mean disagree with authority.

If life were perfect, I'd be Calvin and you'd be Hobbes.

FakeIDJul-08-03 08:13 AM
73 posts,
#6426, "RE: Looking for another BB"
In response to Reply # 8

I use the other boards for search. Alot of the time I need a little clarity as the engineering on these car still seems somewhat wacked to me. Not being able to log in kinda invalidates anything I think I can trust.?.

I've read the stock ECU can do well but, when contacting companies about there products(software cables), I don't feel very secure. Some say the '95s are a hit and miss. Some say I have OBDII others don't. After looking at what it'll take to get the ECU into shape, and the cost of the add-ons, the pain of getting them to work together, and the perks of a stand alone(data acquisition/logging, complete control, etc.). I can't see putting the money and time into the wiring and poor support I think I'll get trying to work with stock.

Thanks for the warm welcome guys. Expecally after the way I started this post

TeamJeff_99gsJul-08-03 08:24 AM
Donating 2GNT member
5473 posts,
#6427, "RE: Looking for another BB"
In response to Reply # 9
Jul-08-03 08:25 AM by Jeff_99gs

Well I say the stock ECU is fine because all you need is DSMlink. You already have the 95 ecu, which is most likely EPROM anyway. Check out www.dsmlink.com. Trust me, you won't need a stand alone. DSMlink does everything a stand alone does for a fraction of the cost, plus more.

FakeIDJul-08-03 04:46 PM
73 posts,
#6428, "RE: Looking for another BB"
In response to Reply # 10

I do have the EPROM unit. I have contacted them and after there eply I decided to go with the AEM. The responce I got from them was infact the deciding factor. Probally the least informative and convincing of any I got. And they are supposed to be the best.

ModeratoreclipzGSTJul-08-03 05:09 PM
Old School 2GNTer
7335 posts,
#6429, "RE: Looking for another BB"
In response to Reply # 11

Hey Sam,
what exactly did they say to make you go another more expensive route?
-Tony

-Tony '98-GST
eclipzgst@charter.net

http://eclipzgst.webhop.net
http://www.newengdsm.org/

turboclipz on AIM

TeamJeff_99gsJul-08-03 05:51 PM
Donating 2GNT member
5473 posts,
#6430, "RE: Looking for another BB"
In response to Reply # 12

Regardless of the professionalism of the company, DSMlink is the best route. No point in spending more money for a lesser product. It is kind of silly to go with an overly expensive stand-alone unit when DSMlink works just as well if not better for a fraction of the cost.

FakeIDJul-09-03 06:27 PM
73 posts,
#6431, "RE: Looking for another BB"
In response to Reply # 13

Tony, the main thing was a comment about the ablity to pull real time data being in question.

I'd really like a few extra out puts from the ECU also. I have yet to find out if a model specific AEM unit still allows for the extra controls teh race model does. Turn on and off extra fans, pumps, maybe a little N20?☺☻☺?

After the fighting all the way through the limited amount of things I've done, I've found it better to pay the premium for professoinalism. Otherwise I seem to pay for that and the going the other way too. And waste too much time. That and after factoring in boost controller, the DSM Link, the (enter list here), The stand alone comes out to about the same price or less. Without the hassle of trying to get a bunch of generic crap to work with an encripted ECU a small company, that might be gone tomorrow, holds the key to.

I guess I've made my mind up on this one. Been looking into stand alones since I started thinking about putting boost on the S. I'm not try to be close minded about it. I just don't see a case for not going this way. Expecally when theres a well supported PnP system for $1600.

TeamJeff_99gsJul-09-03 08:21 PM
Donating 2GNT member
5473 posts,
#6432, "RE: Looking for another BB"
In response to Reply # 14
Jul-09-03 08:21 PM by Jeff_99gs

That's just it. You will be paying WAY over price for something that does less of what you need. You can get a standard $45 boost controller that works better than the electronic crap out there that costs 4 times the amount of money.

Well, it is your car Spend your money as you wish.

Though I urge you to talk to someone who actually has DSMlink before deciding away from it.

Top 4G63 Technical 4G63 Tech topic #6417 Previous topic | Next topic