Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 4G63 Technical 4G63 Tech topic #6229
View in linear mode

Subject: "1G vs. 2G head install issues" Previous topic | Next topic
techboyMay-10-07 04:35 AM
Member since May 20th 2002
1662 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#6229, "1G vs. 2G head install issues"
May-10-07 04:35 AM by techboy

I picked up a 1G head over the winter and had it all machined, and was going to put it on my 2G 7-bolt block. I didn't realize until last night however, when I removed my 2G head that it doesn't look like it's going to be a direct swap.

I did a search and came up with this thread:
http://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=68&topic_id=1528&mesg_id=1528&listing_type=search
which was helpful ... but I'm looking more for install issues. It looks to me like the 2G thermostat housing will not work on a 1G head, and it also looks like there is going to be some issue with the cam position sensor.

I know putting 1G heads on 2G blocks is a fairly common thing, so there must be some solutoin to this. Anybody try this on here .... I don't want to have to visit dsmtuners

1999 Eclipse GST 4G63

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

techboyMay-11-07 07:21 AM
Member since May 20th 2002
1662 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#6230, "RE: 1G vs. 2G head install issues"
In response to Reply # 0

Well, for anyone who is interested in doing this mod in the future I found a great detailed article on how to do it posted up by the tech guys at RRE. Click on the link below:

http://www.roadraceengineering.com/1g2gheadswaptechtip.htm

Basically, to do this my assumptions were correct .... you need to some "extra stuff". You need a 1G head, a 1G intake manifold and throttle body, all the 1G water tubing, and you'll have to modify the head to accept the cam sensor and some other things ...

I'm at a crossraods as to whether I'm going continue w/ this since I discovered it's more involved than I thought. Although, I already I have the 1G head and I paid to have it machined. Oh, and already own a 1G intake mani. If I can find the rest of the parts in a junkyard I'll probably proceed. I'll keep you posted.

In hindsight, I should have invesigated it more before getting halfway into it. Oh well, that's part of the fun I guess.

1999 Eclipse GST 4G63

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

greygooseMay-13-07 04:33 PM
Member since Dec 11th 2005
274 posts,
#6231, "RE: 1G vs. 2G head install issues"
In response to Reply # 1

You'll be alot happier when you get the head installed. =)

navygunsAug-05-08 05:32 PM
Member since May 13th 2008
43 posts,
#6232, "RE: 1G vs. 2G head install issues"
In response to Reply # 2
Aug-06-08 12:49 PM by navyguns

msg me if you decide not to and want to off load that head super hella cheap

erm, yep, year old post, my bad.

Top 4G63 Technical 4G63 Tech topic #6229 Previous topic | Next topic