Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 1 User in Chat
Top 4G63 Technical 4G63 Tech topic #6211
View in linear mode

Subject: "BIG BACK FIRE....1997 gsx" Previous topic | Next topic
sadcJul-19-08 11:25 PM
Member since Jun 23rd 2007
47 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#6211, "BIG BACK FIRE....1997 gsx"

I have 97 gsx.....So its going to have been the 2nd time swaping out the alternator with a 1g alternator on my 2g car. I used this method http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/newbie-forum/233232-installing-1g-alternator-2g-merged-5-08-a.html post number 7

Anyways, after I swapped out the 2nd time turned on the car and everything was fine. Changed my spark plug wires (forgot the brand) Instantly when I changed them, turned on the car I heard a loud POP. And from there on in I had no boost and low power. Smelt unburnt fuel. So I thought it was my spark plugs, went to checkers to buy some
Went back to my car and turned it on and still the same. Also theres hesatation when I gas it. So looking at my FPR theres a guage and its reading around 42-45 When I gas it, it goes up to 50ish. Looking at my boost guage it reads -10hmg at idle when gas'ed it goes up to 0hmg then drops to -20hmg then goes right back to -10hmg. Anytime I gas it a few times it backfires. Pretty dam loud. Like someone getting shot. Any ideas ppl?

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: BIG BACK FIRE....1997 gsx, Remy, Jul-31-08 10:46 AM, #1
RE: BIG BACK FIRE....1997 gsx, ModeratoreclipzGST, Aug-10-08 06:31 PM, #2
      RE: BIG BACK FIRE....1997 gsx, Matt_95tgs, Dec-08-08 05:58 PM, #3
           RE: BIG BACK FIRE....1997 gsx, 95eclipse420A, Dec-08-08 11:58 PM, #4
                RE: BIG BACK FIRE....1997 gsx, AdministratorStar Turbo Talon, Jan-15-09 07:28 AM, #5
                     RE: BIG BACK FIRE....1997 gsx, ModeratoreclipzGST, Jan-21-09 03:07 PM, #6

RemyJul-31-08 10:46 AM
Donating 2GNT member
6156 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#6212, "RE: BIG BACK FIRE....1997 gsx"
In response to Reply # 0

What are you tuning with? Seems your car is pig rich. Also run ngk plugs.

-Remy

----------------------------------------
TSI AWD-500hp Beater
2007 Honda Civic

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

ModeratoreclipzGSTAug-10-08 06:31 PM
Old School 2GNTer
7335 posts,
#6213, "RE: BIG BACK FIRE....1997 gsx"
In response to Reply # 1
Aug-10-08 06:34 PM by eclipzGST

did you try putting the old wires back in? Or maybe try another set?....
Car ran normal, you changed the wires and it ran like shit. Why would you even think it something other than the wires?? lol

Originally posted by Avenger
When I raise the BS flag ... it's a really big fucking flag and I raise it really fucking high too.

"Never whistle while your pissing." ~The illuminatus Trilogy

Matt_95tgsDec-08-08 05:58 PM
Donating 2GNT member
1246 posts,
#6214, "RE: BIG BACK FIRE....1997 gsx"
In response to Reply # 2
Dec-08-08 05:59 PM by Matt_95tgs

While you're replacing wires, I would put in some plain old NGK plugs as well (not platinum or any other fancy "amazing" plug). Everything else sucks in my opinion.

Matt
1995 Eclipse GS
2.0L, S16g Turbo, 8 Injectors, 26psi

1998 Eclipse GSX
2.3L Stroker, AEM EMS Converted to Speed Density, FP3065 Turbo, 35psi , and so on...

95eclipse420ADec-08-08 11:58 PM
Member since Jan 01st 2005
139 posts,
#6215, "RE: BIG BACK FIRE....1997 gsx"
In response to Reply # 3

Well, this might or might not help, but judging from the vac gauge, and large "pop" sound, you might have had an intercooler pipe come off. i'd do a boost Leak Test or at least look everything over. It could explain the richness aswell. the car is still seeing the air enter the motor even though its not actually making it into the engine.

Banned

AdministratorStar Turbo TalonJan-15-09 07:28 AM
Member since Oct 21st 2003
8331 posts,
#13061, "RE: BIG BACK FIRE....1997 gsx"
In response to Reply # 4

Post is a little old isnt it?

ModeratoreclipzGSTJan-21-09 03:07 PM
Old School 2GNTer
7335 posts,
#13062, "RE: BIG BACK FIRE....1997 gsx"
In response to Reply # 5

Originally posted by Star Turbo Talon
Post is a little old isnt it?

And of course he never came back to say what it was for future searches...

Originally posted by Avenger
When I raise the BS flag ... it's a really big fucking flag and I raise it really fucking high too.

"Never whistle while your pissing." ~The illuminatus Trilogy

Top 4G63 Technical 4G63 Tech topic #6211 Previous topic | Next topic