Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 4G63 Technical 4G63 Tech topic #5349
View in linear mode

Subject: "1g turbo starting troubles" Previous topic | Next topic
justins71May-13-08 04:03 PM
Member since Oct 25th 2007
466 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#5349, "1g turbo starting troubles"

So I'm helpin a friend get his car running, which hasn't happened apperently in the last 4 months. I'm a 2gnt w/turbo guy, so the 4g's are a little new to me, wiring and everything. Issue was it'd crank, but no start. I've got no spark, no fuel. Okay, did some searching, came up with the MFI relay. Hunted the bastard down behind the radio and did some probing, found out there's no ground signal comming from the ECM to switch the relay for all the power to the sensors (Crank/cam, MAF, etc). The fuel pump half seemed okay. I tried jumping the relay, and now I have spark, but no start still. I can't seem to find a pressure port to check fuel pressure, as I can't tell if the fuel pump is engaging or not. Possible the fuel pump AND the ECM is bad? Are there any other parameters that tells the ECM to ground out that relay other that just turning the key on? Any help would be appreciated, I'd just Megasquirt the damn thing if it was mine!

/>

'95 GS w/ t3/t4b
FMIC, diy piping & RFL BOV
MS2-Extra Fuel&Spark
50 lb/hr Holley injectors w/ 1:1 RRFPR
JE 8.8:1 dish w/ Hastings Rings
Eagle Rods w/ ARP bolts
ARP Head studs
Mild port/polish head
3" custom DP/cat section, 3" PIT catback
dual MBC - 12 psi / 20psi

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: 1g turbo starting troubles, TeamDR1665, May-14-08 08:24 AM, #1
RE: 1g turbo starting troubles, justins71, May-14-08 02:37 PM, #2
RE: 1g turbo starting troubles, justins71, May-14-08 02:39 PM, #3
      RE: 1g turbo starting troubles, RoninEclipse2G, May-15-08 05:59 AM, #4
           RE: 1g turbo starting troubles, justins71, May-15-08 11:49 AM, #5
                RE: 1g turbo starting troubles, RoninEclipse2G, May-15-08 12:16 PM, #6
                     RE: 1g turbo starting troubles, justins71, May-15-08 12:47 PM, #7
                          RE: 1g turbo starting troubles, TeamDR1665, May-15-08 01:52 PM, #8
                               RE: 1g turbo starting troubles, justins71, May-15-08 03:40 PM, #9
                                    RE: 1g turbo starting troubles, justins71, May-16-08 12:10 PM, #10
                                         RE: 1g turbo starting troubles, ModeratoreclipzGST, May-20-08 08:27 AM, #11
                                              RE: 1g turbo starting troubles, justins71, May-22-08 02:22 PM, #12
                                                   RE: 1g turbo starting troubles, ModeratoreclipzGST, May-23-08 08:52 AM, #13
                                                        RE: 1g turbo starting troubles, goalie40, May-23-08 10:10 AM, #14
                                                             RE: 1g turbo starting troubles, justins71, Jun-12-08 01:56 PM, #15

TeamDR1665May-14-08 08:24 AM
Donating 2GNT member
14692 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#5350, "RE: 1g turbo starting troubles"
In response to Reply # 0

Disconnect the fuel line. Turn the key to ON. If the pump is working, you'll get some Old Faithful action from that fuel line. Trust me on this one.

As for the spark the only time I've had a similar situation involved my not even having the ECU in the car. (I had set it on the 1G shell when I got home and just never put it back in.) Might be worth double checking the connection at the ECU, pins and all that.

Have the caps been replaced in the ECU? If you don't know, open it up and look for anything burninated in there. Be sure you do this somewhere the ECU case will not get a static discharge (ie: rubber shoes on carpet, socks on tile, etc.)

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

justins71May-14-08 02:37 PM
466 posts,
#5351, "RE: 1g turbo starting troubles"
In response to Reply # 1

Caps? Capacitors? Is there a common problem poppin them? As far as I know (at least that I can tell) this thing has never been touched, as far as an ECU R&R. I'll try the fuel test; I wasn't sure if it did a prime pulse or only when you cranked it. BTW, I forgot to mention (if it matters) it's a '92 Talon. I may go junk-yard shopping and try another ECU if I can find one...

/>

'95 GS w/ t3/t4b
MS2-Extra Fuel&Spark
Eagle Rods w/ ARP bolts
ARP Head studs
Mild port/polish head

justins71May-14-08 02:39 PM
466 posts,
#5352, "RE: 1g turbo starting troubles"
In response to Reply # 1

Caps? Capacitors? Is there a common problem poppin them? As far as I know (at least that I can tell) this thing has never been touched, as far as an ECU R&R. I'll try the fuel test; I wasn't sure if it did a prime pulse or only when you cranked it. BTW, I forgot to mention (if it matters) it's a '92 Talon. I may go junk-yard shopping and try another ECU if I can find one...

/>

'95 GS w/ t3/t4b
MS2-Extra Fuel&Spark
Eagle Rods w/ ARP bolts
ARP Head studs
Mild port/polish head

RoninEclipse2GMay-15-08 05:59 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2745 posts,
#5353, "RE: 1g turbo starting troubles"
In response to Reply # 3

woah, deja vu.

yes, Brian means capacitors, it's a known issue with the capacitors in the 1g ecu's cracking open and leaking.

Erik P.
Official 2GNT thread Hijacker
Some say that he's driven over more Covenant than he's shot, and that his grenades aren't where you'd expect them to be...
All we know is, He's not The Stig... But he is The Stig's Spartan cousin!

justins71May-15-08 11:49 AM
466 posts,
#5354, "RE: 1g turbo starting troubles"
In response to Reply # 4

Sorry about the double-post! happened when the server was acting up apparently. Admin can delete...

I'll hafta crack open the ECU when I can get time and check it out... Thanks

/>

'95 GS w/ t3/t4b
MS2-Extra Fuel&Spark
Eagle Rods w/ ARP bolts
ARP Head studs
Mild port/polish head

RoninEclipse2GMay-15-08 12:16 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2745 posts,
#5355, "RE: 1g turbo starting troubles"
In response to Reply # 5

IIRC there's a pretty big writeup on how to fix the ECU with radio shack caps on DSM.org

Erik P.
Official 2GNT thread Hijacker
Some say that he's driven over more Covenant than he's shot, and that his grenades aren't where you'd expect them to be...
All we know is, He's not The Stig... But he is The Stig's Spartan cousin!

justins71May-15-08 12:47 PM
466 posts,
#5356, "RE: 1g turbo starting troubles"
In response to Reply # 6
May-15-08 12:48 PM by justins71

well good news is the capacitors aren't melted, but theres like 4 other components around them that are fried. I might try to get a pic up, but I'm more leaning that I'll need a new ECU (hint hint to anyone that has an extra for a 1g turbo!!)

BTW, the 1g cap r&r page is missin on DSM.org...

/>

'95 GS w/ t3/t4b
MS2-Extra Fuel&Spark
Eagle Rods w/ ARP bolts
ARP Head studs
Mild port/polish head

TeamDR1665May-15-08 01:52 PM
Donating 2GNT member
14692 posts,
#5357, "RE: 1g turbo starting troubles"
In response to Reply # 7

Originally posted by justins71
well good news is the capacitors aren't melted, but theres like 4 other components around them that are fried. I might try to get a pic up, but I'm more leaning that I'll need a new ECU (hint hint to anyone that has an extra for a 1g turbo!!) BTW, the 1g cap r&r page is missin on DSM.org...

That's interesting. From what I've heard, when the caps go, the shit they leak or smoke out wreaks havoc on neighboring components. You should be able to scoop up a non-EPROM ECU out there for less than $100. Expect to pay more than $150 on average for the EPROM unit if you want one that badly. They have their benefits, but you have to consider your down time.

justins71May-15-08 03:40 PM
466 posts,
#5358, "RE: 1g turbo starting troubles"
In response to Reply # 8

Okay, on further research/inspection maybe the caps are bad. I've had some on other boards fry, and they literally melt, but these *appeared* ok. Read up on it a bit, and looks like they don't melt, just leak acid onto the board. That looks a bit more like what I have goin on (took some pics, will upload a bit later tonight). And it's not the EPROM version, and the guy isn't a tuner at all so I don't think anything fancy will be up his alley.

/>

'95 GS w/ t3/t4b
MS2-Extra Fuel&Spark
Eagle Rods w/ ARP bolts
ARP Head studs
Mild port/polish head

justins71May-16-08 12:10 PM
466 posts,
#5359, "RE: 1g turbo starting troubles"
In response to Reply # 9
May-16-08 12:12 PM by justins71

put an order in with DigiKey today for the new caps, since RadioShack doesn't carry them... We'll see how it goes when they come it, I'll practice on an old stereo board or something on r&r the components

/>

'95 GS w/ t3/t4b
MS2-Extra Fuel&Spark
Eagle Rods w/ ARP bolts
ARP Head studs
Mild port/polish head

ModeratoreclipzGSTMay-20-08 08:27 AM
Old School 2GNTer
7335 posts,
#5360, "RE: 1g turbo starting troubles"
In response to Reply # 10

They're pretty easy to swap out. I did mine in about 1/2 hour.
When I did mine on my 1G. Everything "looked" fine but you could smell them (think rotten fish). Then when I pulled the old ones out, you could see that they were in fact leaking.
Started right up and no troubles again after the fix.

Originally posted by Avenger
When I raise the BS flag ... it's a really big fucking flag and I raise it really fucking high too.

"Never whistle while your pissing." ~The illuminatus Trilogy

justins71May-22-08 02:22 PM
466 posts,
#5361, "RE: 1g turbo starting troubles"
In response to Reply # 11

learned how to solder on printed boards and replaced 'em, car fired right up. Only thing is i think i overheated the 100uF one, (had a hell of a time getting solder to soak all the way through the board) and sure enought about half-hour into test-driving it, it died again, no check engine light with key on engine off. guess I'll try it again! There really isn't another chain store that carries those type of parts? Fry's maybe? or is just a location-specific thing and ya might luck out with a distributor? just sux payin $10 for a $.20 part after shipping

/>

'95 GS w/ t3/t4b
MS2-Extra Fuel&Spark
Eagle Rods w/ ARP bolts
ARP Head studs
Mild port/polish head

ModeratoreclipzGSTMay-23-08 08:52 AM
Old School 2GNTer
7335 posts,
#5362, "RE: 1g turbo starting troubles"
In response to Reply # 12

Originally posted by justins71
just sux payin $10 for a $.20 part after shipping

Cost me $11 and change IIRC. But I also got like a 5 pack or something. God knows what happened to the extras...

Originally posted by Avenger
When I raise the BS flag ... it's a really big fucking flag and I raise it really fucking high too.

"Never whistle while your pissing." ~The illuminatus Trilogy

goalie40May-23-08 10:10 AM
Member since Sep 12th 2005
431 posts,
#5363, "RE: 1g turbo starting troubles"
In response to Reply # 13

I can get an ecu if you need one I have a 1g gst parts car (its a 90)

pm me.

We will build you bigger and stronger

Wake up and drive my ass... More like wake up and fix it.

If the opposite of Pro is Con
then the opposite of Progress is Congress

justins71Jun-12-08 01:56 PM
466 posts,
#5373, "RE: 1g turbo starting troubles"
In response to Reply # 14

So here's a pic of that board, I think this one's fried as it looks like there's too much that the bad capacitor leaked on.

It ran like 5-10 minutes with the new caps, then died again.

/>

'95 GS w/ t3/t4b
MS2-Extra Fuel&Spark
Eagle Rods w/ ARP bolts
ARP Head studs
Mild port/polish head

Top 4G63 Technical 4G63 Tech topic #5349 Previous topic | Next topic