Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 4G63 Technical 4G63 Tech topic #5342
View in linear mode

Subject: "Seeking info on the 1.8L motor" Previous topic | Next topic
McFoxApr-14-08 01:18 PM
Member since Aug 29th 2007
60 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#5342, "Seeking info on the 1.8L motor"

Hey guys, so I drove by this 94 red talon and stopped to take a peak at it. I chatted with the owner for a bit and helped him find out he has the 1.8L motor (SOHC). The car had all 4 disc brakes, was that option available in that year? I thought only the GSX had the rear disc brakes.

Anyway he was telling me the oil pump is shot and hes only asking $500 cash. I know the swap from a 420a into a 4g63 is out of the question. But this little 1.8's tranny bolts up same side as the 4g63. So what I really want to know is can I swap a 2.0 4g63T into that? If so, besides ECU, any big things to worry about?

For the haters out there, I did try to search and only found a bunch of posts about the 4g swap from a 420a. These 1.8L motors are entirely new to me and I have 0 knowledge of them. Thanks guys.

-Ed

'95 Eclipse RS-T
'91 Laser RS (Sold)

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: Seeking info on the 1.8L motor, foggy45, Apr-14-08 02:26 PM, #1
RE: Seeking info on the 1.8L motor, McFox, Apr-15-08 10:47 AM, #2
      RE: Seeking info on the 1.8L motor, techboy, Apr-21-08 09:01 AM, #3
           RE: Seeking info on the 1.8L motor, McFox, Apr-21-08 10:31 AM, #4
                RE: Seeking info on the 1.8L motor, 97eclipse97, Apr-27-08 01:12 PM, #5
                     RE: Seeking info on the 1.8L motor, ScreaminE, Apr-27-08 05:46 PM, #6

foggy45Apr-14-08 02:26 PM
Member since Dec 28th 2003
1032 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#5343, "RE: Seeking info on the 1.8L motor"
In response to Reply # 0
Apr-14-08 02:34 PM by foggy45

the 1.8L is a 92 hp 8V SOHC 4G37 and was avaliable in the Talon DL from 93-94
its also shared with the 90-94 base laser, the 90-94 eclipse and GS (note that the eclipse GS was avaliable in a 16V edition as well which is the 4G63NA)

the engine is also shared with the Mitsubishi Cordia and the Galant

needed for swap:
6-bolt motor is preferable
Turbo ECU
Turbo wiring harness
turbo tranny (NT tranny will work but constanty blow....the turbo one holds great)
Low impedance thingy for injectors(it sits on the firewall in the middle has 4 wires going into it)
coil pack and transistor FOR THAT YEAR MODEL ECU(90 or 91-94)
Turbo head with all sensors like CAS, etc
turbo block or NT 4g63 block
turbo thermostat housing
turbo manifolds (exhaust and intake)
turbo intake piping
turbo MAF
turbo itself (duh)
turbo downpipe
intercooler and IC piping
preferably external oil cooler from a 90
90 oil filter housing preferable
if you get 91-94 stuff then oil cooler isn't needed
turbo motor mounts (they are a little tougher)
bov

Recommended to rebuild freshly and replace all the parts with Mitsu stuff or better. Search for rebuild info to see what all that includes (fresh sensors like knock and all is a must)

if you are going from a 90 to 91-94 tranny you will need the shifter assembly swapped....go to vfaq.com to see why

Best sum up of working on a 2GNT
DR1665- "#5. Spike that motherfucker on the garage floor and grab a beer. You deserve it."

Ahhhh Priceless . . .
eclipse982nrRST "its actually lightish red"
RoninEclipse2G "yeah, they already have a color for that... it's called PINK"

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

McFoxApr-15-08 10:47 AM
60 posts,
#5344, "RE: Seeking info on the 1.8L motor"
In response to Reply # 1

Wow, that helps a lot. So basically the 2.0 4g63T engine and trans will mount straight up? No hidden fabrication needed? If that be the case I might be going to the junkyard looking for a nice little 6 bolt.

-Ed

'95 Eclipse RS-T
'91 Laser RS (Sold)

techboyApr-21-08 09:01 AM
Member since May 20th 2002
1662 posts,
#5345, "RE: Seeking info on the 1.8L motor"
In response to Reply # 2

Good luck finding a 6-bolt in a junk yard. Even if you can find a 1G there, I'd bet my paycheck the motor is gone

If you want even more info on the 1.8, DSMTalk has a whole section on there forum just for 1.8 Q&A.

1999 Eclipse GST 4G63

McFoxApr-21-08 10:31 AM
60 posts,
#5346, "RE: Seeking info on the 1.8L motor"
In response to Reply # 3

Hope you get a nice paycheck. I was at the junkyard the other day looking for a coolant overflow for a 2g, ran into 3 1g's in the same row. Didn't check for 6 bolt but all of them had at least the block sitting in them.

Thanks for the advice though, I'm going to go check it out.

-Ed

'95 Eclipse RS-T
'91 Laser RS (Sold)

97eclipse97Apr-27-08 01:12 PM
Member since Jul 29th 2003
695 posts,
#5347, "RE: Seeking info on the 1.8L motor"
In response to Reply # 4

For the amount you are going to spend in swapping in a 4G63T, you could just buy a 1g AWD. You can easily find them between $1000-2000. It's your choice and all, but I personally wouldn't do it.

'95 GSX - New motor/turbo going in...
'95 TSi AWD - For sale...buy me!
'03.5 MazdaSpeed Protege - Stock daily driver
'97 CBR 600 - Purple is a real man's color

ScreaminEApr-27-08 05:46 PM
Donating 2GNT member
815 posts,
#5348, "RE: Seeking info on the 1.8L motor"
In response to Reply # 5

Originally posted by 97eclipse97
For the amount you are going to spend in swapping in a 4G63T, you could just buy a 1g AWD. You can easily find them between $1000-2000. It's your choice and all, but I personally wouldn't do it.

What he said.

Top 4G63 Technical 4G63 Tech topic #5342 Previous topic | Next topic