Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 4G63 Technical 4G63 Tech topic #4229
View in linear mode

Subject: "Got my new GSX!!" Previous topic | Next topic
1FastEclipseNov-03-03 06:25 PM
Donating 2GNT member
467 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#4229, "Got my new GSX!!"

I finally got my new GSX. It is a 99 GSX, bone stock, auto, in great condition. I got the auto because I heard you can get stall converters and shift kits for them and less chance of crank walk. Anyone know where I can pick the shift kit and stall converter up? Also, I here that alot of the 1st gen parts will just bolt up to our engine and perform better. Which of those parts should I look out for and get? Any recomended first mods for the car? Thanks alot guys!

99GSX Auto 14b@17psi 13.345@102mph

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: Got my new GSX!!, HybriDSM, Nov-03-03 07:05 PM, #1
RE: Got my new GSX!!, Remy, Nov-03-03 08:35 PM, #2
      RE: Got my new GSX!!, PowerEclipses, Nov-04-03 01:51 AM, #3
           RE: Got my new GSX!!, ModeratoreclipzGST, Nov-04-03 11:18 AM, #4
                RE: Got my new GSX!!, Jarrad_GST, Nov-04-03 11:22 AM, #5
                     RE: Got my new GSX!!, Diceman19, Nov-04-03 12:59 PM, #6
                          RE: Got my new GSX!!, lickscissors, Nov-04-03 01:13 PM, #7
                               RE: Got my new GSX!!, TeamJeff_99gs, Nov-04-03 02:15 PM, #8
                                    RE: Got my new GSX!!, Jarrad_GST, Nov-04-03 03:29 PM, #9
                                         RE: Got my new GSX!!, ModeratoreclipzGST, Nov-04-03 06:07 PM, #10
                                              RE: Got my new GSX!!, TeamJeff_99gs, Nov-04-03 07:07 PM, #11
                                                   RE: Got my new GSX!!, chrysler kid, Nov-04-03 07:14 PM, #12
                                                        RE: Got my new GSX!!, slodsm, Nov-04-03 09:22 PM, #13
                                                        RE: Got my new GSX!!, Jarrad_GST, Nov-04-03 11:11 PM, #14
                                                             RE: Got my new GSX!!, lickscissors, Nov-05-03 04:46 AM, #16
                                                        RE: Got my new GSX!!, TeamJeff_99gs, Nov-05-03 02:52 AM, #15
                                                             RE: Got my new GSX!!, 1FastEclipse, Nov-05-03 01:00 PM, #17
                                                                  RE: Got my new GSX!!, lickscissors, Nov-05-03 06:27 PM, #19
                                                                       RE: Got my new GSX!!, ModeratoreclipzGST, Nov-05-03 06:42 PM, #20
RE: Got my new GSX!!, aquafreeta, Nov-05-03 03:37 PM, #18
RE: Got my new GSX!!, aquafreeta, Nov-06-03 01:31 AM, #21
RE: Got my new GSX!!, Brian O Conner, Apr-21-12 12:40 AM, #22
RE: Got my new GSX!!, megaskillz, Apr-21-12 08:44 AM, #23

HybriDSMNov-03-03 07:05 PM
Member since Aug 07th 2002
2407 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#4230, "RE: Got my new GSX!!"
In response to Reply # 0

welcome to the AWD turbo community and congrast on the pickup. this section seems to be a good hiding place for those who are turned to the dark side so hopefully we'll have alot of help for your future with the 4g63.

I don't know really anything about where to pick up AT mods, but hopefully if there are any other questions you have I'll be able to help with those.

Again congrats on the purchase.

It's running again shitheads.

http://www.dsmregistry.com/detail.php?carid=791

HybriDSM@gmail.com ; HybriDSM@hotmail.com

Think for yourself. Question authority does not always mean disagree with authority.

If life were perfect, I'd be Calvin and you'd be Hobbes.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

RemyNov-03-03 08:35 PM
Donating 2GNT member
6156 posts,
#4231, "RE: Got my new GSX!!"
In response to Reply # 1

You can buy that stuff at mach v.
I have never heard of to many 99 4g63's getting crank walk either.
Good luck and welcome to the family.

Hello Mr. 12's . How are you today ?

Member # 333

PowerEclipsesNov-04-03 01:51 AM
Donating 2GNT member
3215 posts,
#4232, "RE: Got my new GSX!!"
In response to Reply # 2

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! Congrats man! First couple mods, you know!

Boca Raton, Florida
95 Eclipse GS- sold
99 Eclipse GSX- 386awhp
98 Eclipse GS- sold
92 Prelude

ModeratoreclipzGSTNov-04-03 11:18 AM
Old School 2GNTer
7335 posts,
#4233, "RE: Got my new GSX!!"
In response to Reply # 3

congrats!
join the AT/DSM yahoo group. There's alot of AT knowledge there and they won't flame for noob questions. They will also know about where the best places to get shift kits and torque converters.
Upgrade path is the same as any other turbo DSM.
Start with intake, UIP with new BOV and then get a boost guage. Then, AFTER the boost guage, you can get a boost controller. Exaust comes next. There's a HUGE variety of parts, techniques and paths. Do some research and talk to people. Lots to do and even more to learn.

-Tony
98'GST
92'TSI-AWD

eclipzgst@charter.net
http://eclipzgst.webhop.net
http://www.newengdsm.org/

turboclipz on AIM

"...don't make me photoshop your pants so high that your undies start going over your head, think of it as a kaptainmyke wedgie if you will" -Kap'n Myke

Jarrad_GSTNov-04-03 11:22 AM
Member since Jun 23rd 2002
650 posts,
Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#4234, "RE: Got my new GSX!!"
In response to Reply # 4

GSX is awesome, shoulda got AWD though, you will wish you did a year after you start modding it. Crankwalk..... whats that, you wont get that. Just put a 6 bolt in, be worth driving manual over auto if I have to install a new engine.

97' GST(4G63)
Evo 16G Eclipse

Diceman19Nov-04-03 12:59 PM
Donating 2GNT member
4629 posts,
#4235, "RE: Got my new GSX!!"
In response to Reply # 5

Originally posted by Jarrad_GST
GSX is awesome, shoulda got AWD though, you will wish you did a year after you start modding it.

gsx is AWD...

lickscissorsNov-04-03 01:13 PM
Member since May 07th 2003
1206 posts,
#4236, "RE: Got my new GSX!!"
In response to Reply # 6

how many miles are on it, how much did you pay for it?....my girlfriend just bought a 97 gsx with 64k miles on it....its also an auto, but wrecked in the front.... we payed 3800 for it.....completely loaded....
doug

14b custom turbo kit, modified starion front mount, 9.6:1 JE pistons/Eagle rods....running 12psi
screw flanders

TeamJeff_99gsNov-04-03 02:15 PM
Donating 2GNT member
5473 posts,
#4237, "RE: Got my new GSX!!"
In response to Reply # 7

You won't need a "stall converter". The stock Torque Converter works just fine for Big 16G sized turbos and smaller. You won't need an upgraded TC until you have larger than that. The shift kit does work wonders though.

Don't buy through Mach V. They are extremely nice and have great customer service, but they have some of the most expensive prices in the DSM world.

Jarrad_GSTNov-04-03 03:29 PM
650 posts,
Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#4238, "RE: Got my new GSX!!"
In response to Reply # 8

Doh!! I meant you shoulda gotten manual GSX instead of auto GSX. I think getting auto GSX is pointless, if had to get an auto I get just get a GST. How can you launch a awd auto GSX. Be about the same as a manual GST?? Thats just my opinion, either way you have a turbocharged car.

97' GST(4G63)
Evo 16G Eclipse

ModeratoreclipzGSTNov-04-03 06:07 PM
Old School 2GNTer
7335 posts,
#4239, "RE: Got my new GSX!!"
In response to Reply # 9

Doh!! I meant you shoulda gotten manual GSX instead of auto GSX. I think getting auto GSX is pointless. How can you launch a awd auto GSX. Be about the same as a manual GST?? Thats just my opinion, either way you have a turbocharged car.

ever heard of Russ Coxe?

-Tony
98'GST
92'TSI-AWD

eclipzgst@charter.net

turboclipz on AIM

"...don't make me photoshop your pants so high that your undies start going over your head, think of it as a kaptainmyke wedgie if you will" -Kap'n Myke

TeamJeff_99gsNov-04-03 07:07 PM
Donating 2GNT member
5473 posts,
#4240, "RE: Got my new GSX!!"
In response to Reply # 10

Auto GSX's are much easier to launch than manual. You build boost off the line and get extremely consistent times. If I ever got a 2G AWD it would be automatic.

chrysler kidNov-04-03 07:14 PM
Member since Sep 25th 2002
7411 posts,
#4241, "RE: Got my new GSX!!"
In response to Reply # 11

it doesnt make a difference if its auto or manual, that doesnt affect if it crankwalks. i personally would never buy an auto dsm because it robs you of an extra gear and plus i think autos are for girls.

oh and the reason most 99's havent crankwalked yet is because most of them have less than 60k miles on them and are still reasonably new. 5 years old compared to 9 years old

11.65 @ 115

slodsmNov-04-03 09:22 PM
Donating 2GNT member
293 posts,
#4242, "RE: Got my new GSX!!"
In response to Reply # 12

Well, congrats dude, don't let the naysayers give you hell for an auto. Bob Friend happens to be my neighbor and if you look on dsmtimes.org, you will find he was last year the fastest auto in the states, someone has beat him now but an 11 second daily driven auto is sweet. Next, tranny mods should be done through level10.com, never heard a bad thing about them. I personally don't have an auto but the guys I know who do have gone very fast with there shift kits. Next, check out www.dsmtuners.com, go to there staged upgrades, buy them that way, trust me. You have about as much need for an UIP and a hard intake right now as I do a 1000 cc injector and stand alone. I know of 7 local people where I am who have gone 12's on the stock intercoole piping and intake piping. Its more looks than anything at the moment. Do the FP rewire, get a bigger pump, cat back, K&N, down pipe, boost controller to 16 psi cause any higher and you will start killing that poor T2small very quickly. Finaly now start looking for a good 14b turbo off ebay or the dsm trader website. You need no bigger to go fast, there are several in the 11's right now with 14b's (manuals but you could put the auto in the 12's) and then go from there. By this time you will need fuel pump, 550 cc injectors, and an afc. You will be hauling ass and have around 1500 in the car total. Welcome to the world of cheap performance

Gone but not forgotten.....
1998 Eagle Talon ESI, built and boosted 14.2@98
1992 Eagle Talon TSI AWD12.91@104
1992 Honda Hatch swapped and sprayed14.0@108

Jarrad_GSTNov-04-03 11:11 PM
650 posts,
#4243, "RE: Got my new GSX!!"
In response to Reply # 13

Sorry if its sounds like I was hateing. GSXs are the fast no matter manual or auto. I just love the fact of driving manual ever since I learned and my dream would be to have an AWD manual Eclipse or any sort of awd manual. I understand you can make an auto transmission as fast if not faster than manual. I like to driving manual maybe b/c of the stereotype of rally race car drivers. If your trying to go fast, then getting an auto against manual doesn't even matter. Was just giving my 2 cents. Your car being AWD could whip my manual FWD in a heartbeat. Wish you luck modding the beast.

97' GST(4G63)
Evo 16G Eclipse

lickscissorsNov-05-03 04:46 AM
1206 posts,
#4244, "RE: Got my new GSX!!"
In response to Reply # 14

Sorry if its sounds like I was hateing. GSXs are the fast no matter manual or auto. I just love the fact of driving manual ever since I learned and my dream would be to have an AWD manual Eclipse or any sort of awd manual. I understand you can make an auto transmission as fast if not faster than manual. I like to driving manual maybe b/c of the stereotype of rally race car drivers. If your trying to go fast, then getting an auto against manual doesn't even matter. Was just giving my 2 cents. Your car being AWD could whip my manual FWD in a heartbeat. Wish you luck modding the beast.

dude, are you half asleep when you write? none of your sentences have made sense...haha .... well im excited for my girls car... i cant wait to start messing with it...it is an auto also, but i think she'll feel more comfortable driving it...
doug

14b custom turbo kit, modified starion front mount, 9.6:1 JE pistons/Eagle rods....running 12psi
screw flanders

TeamJeff_99gsNov-05-03 02:52 AM
Donating 2GNT member
5473 posts,
#4245, "RE: Got my new GSX!!"
In response to Reply # 12

Originally posted by chrysler kid
it doesnt make a difference if its auto or manual, that doesnt affect if it crankwalks.

There are two reported Automatic crankwalked engines. Two. Maybe a few more since I last checked, but last I checked it was several thousand crankwalking 5spd engines vs. two automatic ones. And you tell me its not related?

People don't realize the true potential of the automatic AWD DSM. The power you lose through the tranny is more than made up by the fact that you can launch with tons of boost off the line and the turbo doesn't stop spooling between shifts. Whenever I race my old roommate in his 11.9 second Auto TSi AWD, we are pretty much dead even until I have to shift. I shift and he pulls ahead a few feet. It may not seem like much, but it really affects the performance of the car on the street and the 1320.

1FastEclipseNov-05-03 01:00 PM
Donating 2GNT member
467 posts,
#4246, "RE: Got my new GSX!!"
In response to Reply # 15

The reasons for the auto are that I am a BIG strip person. I don't like rally races where the manual would pay off and be more fun. I like to get from point "A" to point "B" in a very quick manor. LoL. Building full boost off the line with the auto is something you can't do in a manual. Plus as stated above, I don't loose much boost in between shifts. Anyways, my last car was stick and it is still gonna be in the family (sig pic). Here are some links to the pics of the car (color is a little off). Thanks for the welcoming!

99GSX Auto 14b@17psi 13.345@102mph

lickscissorsNov-05-03 06:27 PM
1206 posts,
#4247, "RE: Got my new GSX!!"
In response to Reply # 17

looks nice, thats not a stock color is it....how many miles are on it and how much did you pay for it...id like to get a rough idea
doug

screw flanders

ModeratoreclipzGSTNov-05-03 06:42 PM
Old School 2GNTer
7335 posts,
#4248, "RE: Got my new GSX!!"
In response to Reply # 19

Originally posted by lickscissors
looks nice, thats not a stock color is it....how many miles are on it and how much did you pay for it...id like to get a rough idea doug

It's the same color as mine. He said the color is off probably because of the camera...
Looks good!

-Tony
98'GST
92'TSI-AWD

eclipzgst@charter.net

turboclipz on AIM

aquafreetaNov-05-03 03:37 PM
Donating 2GNT member
151 posts,
#4249, "RE: Got my new GSX!!"
In response to Reply # 0

Isnt she a beauty!!!!!1 And, that girl can launch like nothing I have ever seen!!!!!!! She has already handed most of the ricers around here their ass...w/o any mods!!! cant wait to do mods on it

-Anna (96 Eclipse GS)

http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/474544

aquafreetaNov-06-03 01:31 AM
Donating 2GNT member
151 posts,
#4250, "RE: Got my new GSX!!"
In response to Reply # 18

Well, we paid 12,900 for the car with 72,000 miles on it plus I got the extra 2 year warrantee for 1,100. So all in all it came to about 14,000. Book value on the car is 13,500 so I'd say I got a decent deal. Payments are about 300 a month.

-Anna (96 Eclipse GS)

http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/474544

Brian O ConnerApr-21-12 12:40 AM
Member since May 20th 2011
28 posts,
#13240, "RE: Got my new GSX!!"
In response to Reply # 0

Originally posted by 1FastEclipse
I finally got my new GSX. It is a 99 GSX, bone stock, auto, in great condition. I got the auto because I heard you can get stall converters and shift kits for them and less chance of crank walk. Anyone know where I can pick the shift kit and stall converter up? Also, I here that alot of the 1st gen parts will just bolt up to our engine and perform better. Which of those parts should I look out for and get? Any recomended first mods for the car? Thanks alot guys!

You need to sell your gsx and get a 420a lol I had to do that.

Dude, I almost had you.

megaskillzApr-21-12 08:44 AM
Member since Oct 12th 2008
105 posts,
#13241, "RE: Got my new GSX!!"
In response to Reply # 22

Originally posted by Brian O Conner
You need to sell your gsx and get a 420a lol I had to do that.

98 GS manual - ATMT completed
91 Hyundai Excel- 4g63t swap pending
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2553845/1998-mitsubishi-eclipse

Top 4G63 Technical 4G63 Tech topic #4229 Previous topic | Next topic