Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 4G63 Technical 4G63 Tech topic #2332
View in linear mode

Subject: "'99 Eclipse RS for '96 TSi AWD?" Previous topic | Next topic
BRU_ceApr-05-05 09:22 AM
Member since Aug 25th 2003
1457 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#2332, "'99 Eclipse RS for '96 TSi AWD?"

So I'm talkin to this guy that I found through DSM Trader who is willing to sell me his 1996 TSi AWD as a trade for my 1999 Eclipse RS

The TSi has 64,000 miles (whether this is original or on a rebuilt motor is unclear at this point) Also, the TSi is unpainted and just primered black. He says he needs a new flex section for the DP but that it runs. It supposedly runs kind of rich because he used to have an 18g turbo on it but now it is back to stock T-25.
Here is his DSM Trader ad: http://www.gopartstrader.com/cgi-bin/suite/classifieds/classifieds.cgi?request=detail&id=224606&category_id=106&sub_id=1040&variable_file=autos.variables&group=1&set=2&position=33&total_count=552&website=default&prev_action=display_sub_list&session=4252e4e335fe2327

My car has 132,000 miles on it, but it's been meticulously maintained by me. I got it w/ 100k and the exterior/interior are in almost MINT condition.

CLIFFNOTES: He wants my car plus $500 for his car. Good deal or not?

Oh no! My sig died! I'll get another one.
Member and Co-Founder of FLDSM

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: '99 Eclipse RS for '96 TSi AWD?, thedawg, Apr-05-05 11:27 AM, #1
RE: '99 Eclipse RS for '96 TSi AWD?, BRU_ce, Apr-05-05 12:26 PM, #2
      RE: '99 Eclipse RS for '96 TSi AWD?, FlyinEsi, Apr-05-05 01:07 PM, #3
           RE: '99 Eclipse RS for '96 TSi AWD?, 97eclipse97, Apr-06-05 02:50 AM, #4
                RE: '99 Eclipse RS for '96 TSi AWD?, BMPDirk, Apr-06-05 03:32 AM, #5
                     RE: '99 Eclipse RS for '96 TSi AWD?, BRU_ce, Apr-06-05 07:43 AM, #6
                          RE: '99 Eclipse RS for '96 TSi AWD?, RST95eclipse, Apr-06-05 08:42 AM, #7
                               RE: '99 Eclipse RS for '96 TSi AWD?, 97eclipse97, Apr-08-05 05:04 PM, #8
                                    RE: '99 Eclipse RS for '96 TSi AWD?, BRU_ce, Apr-09-05 01:22 PM, #9
                                         RE: '99 Eclipse RS for '96 TSi AWD?, Uberingram, Apr-09-05 03:10 PM, #10
                                         RE: '99 Eclipse RS for '96 TSi AWD?, 420a-Tnthewerks, Apr-09-05 04:17 PM, #11
                                         RE: '99 Eclipse RS for '96 TSi AWD?, BRU_ce, Apr-10-05 08:40 AM, #12
                                              RE: '99 Eclipse RS for '96 TSi AWD?, Uberingram, Apr-10-05 08:59 AM, #13
                                         RE: '99 Eclipse RS for '96 TSi AWD?, Narco, Apr-10-05 09:31 AM, #14
                                              RE: '99 Eclipse RS for '96 TSi AWD?, BRU_ce, Apr-10-05 10:01 AM, #15

thedawgApr-05-05 11:27 AM
Donating 2GNT member
6287 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#2333, "RE: '99 Eclipse RS for '96 TSi AWD?"
In response to Reply # 0
Apr-05-05 11:28 AM by thedawg

I'd do it. But don't count on it to be a reliable daily driver from day 1, it's gonna need some work. Hopefully you have another car?

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

BRU_ceApr-05-05 12:26 PM
1457 posts,
#2334, "RE: '99 Eclipse RS for '96 TSi AWD?"
In response to Reply # 1
Apr-05-05 12:35 PM by BRU_ce

Really? Why wouldn't it be reliable if it is back on the stock turbo? He said to lean it out he would throw in the S-AFC so I could program the ECU. Also, he says there is an exhaust leak at the DP flex section but that it runs and pulls hard.

I'm not going to be modding it any further when I get it, maybe get a 16G turbo but that's it, and I would run conservative boost. Would it be fairly reliable?

He e-mailed me back and said it has 64,000 original miles.

FlyinEsiApr-05-05 01:07 PM
Donating 2GNT member
5187 posts,
#2335, "RE: '99 Eclipse RS for '96 TSi AWD?"
In response to Reply # 2

I think that sounds like a great idea!! Just make sure the fuel problem gets taken care of...but if he went back to stock turbo, and doesn't have an SAFC it should be running perfect, unless he put bigger injectors in too, which he should have with the an 18g turbo.

97eclipse97Apr-06-05 02:50 AM
Member since Jul 29th 2003
695 posts,
#2336, "RE: '99 Eclipse RS for '96 TSi AWD?"
In response to Reply # 3

i sold my 97 rs to get a 95 gsx, just fyi

BMPDirkApr-06-05 03:32 AM
Member since Jul 24th 2002
1288 posts,
#2337, "RE: '99 Eclipse RS for '96 TSi AWD?"
In response to Reply # 4
Apr-06-05 03:33 AM by BMPDirk

sounds like a good deal. I would ask what kind of injectors and fuel pump he has installed. Also, seems weird that he would want to trade a car thats faster(and awd), with half the miles for something slower, with more than twice the miles....just something to think about.

BRU_ceApr-06-05 07:43 AM
1457 posts,
#2338, "RE: '99 Eclipse RS for '96 TSi AWD?"
In response to Reply # 5

Trust me, I've been asking myself that... but since I am going to be able to see it in person and drive it before I give him ANYTHING, I feel a little bit better about it... know what I mean?

Here's some pics he e-mailed me yesterday:

RST95eclipseApr-06-05 08:42 AM
Member since Oct 19th 2004
403 posts,
#2339, "RE: '99 Eclipse RS for '96 TSi AWD?"
In response to Reply # 6

That ride is clean. I'd ask myself why would he want to trade straight up + 500 for it when he wants a truck/suv. But it does sound really good in your shoes.

97eclipse97Apr-08-05 05:04 PM
Member since Jul 29th 2003
695 posts,
#2340, "RE: '99 Eclipse RS for '96 TSi AWD?"
In response to Reply # 7

it seems either the kid just wants a 'slow' car which he wont put money into (although we all know how quickly money can go on a 2gnt), or maybe the car has cw or some other problem so he just wants to get rid of it. also 64,000 is very low mileage for a 96 as thats under 7,000 a year. if it is the real deal than definitly jump all over that, just be cautious. i personally got screwed on my gsx, as there was rust starting on the strut towers and went through the bay, even to both fenders. what a nightmare thast been...hopefully ill get her back in the next week or two...and thats enough of me getting off topic. goodluck with this

BRU_ceApr-09-05 01:22 PM
1457 posts,
#2341, "RE: '99 Eclipse RS for '96 TSi AWD?"
In response to Reply # 8

Well.. that deal fell through.

He contacted me and told me someone offered him $4,500 AND a pickup truck, so I can't compete with that.

Back to the GSX hunt it is... *sigh*

I was so ready to start boosting!!!

UberingramApr-09-05 03:10 PM
Donating 2GNT member
10001 posts,
#2342, "RE: '99 Eclipse RS for '96 TSi AWD?"
In response to Reply # 9

Keep trying do0d.

420a-TnthewerksApr-09-05 04:17 PM
Member since Jun 11th 2004
2267 posts,
#2343, "RE: '99 Eclipse RS for '96 TSi AWD?"
In response to Reply # 9
Apr-09-05 04:30 PM by 420a-Tnthewerks

Originally posted by BRU_ce
Well.. that deal fell through. He contacted me and told me someone offered him $4,500 AND a pickup truck, so I can't compete with that. Back to the GSX hunt it is... *sigh* I was so ready to start boosting!!!

So, offer him $5,000 plus your car. That's like $7500-$8000 for an AWD with 64,000 miles. Doubt you're gonna find a better deal.

edit- I say that because you said you were in the market for an AWD. $5000 may seem like alot, but it's really not for what you're getting.

edit dos- Unless it DOES have something wrong with it. Did you end up driving it?

BRU_ceApr-10-05 08:40 AM
1457 posts,
#2344, "RE: '99 Eclipse RS for '96 TSi AWD?"
In response to Reply # 11

Originally posted by 420a-Tnthewerks
Originally posted by BRU_ce Well.. that deal fell through. He contacted me and told me someone offered him $4,500 AND a pickup truck, so I can't compete with that. Back to the GSX hunt it is... *sigh* I was so ready to start boosting!!!
So, offer him $5,000 plus your car. That's like $7500-$8000 for an AWD with 64,000 miles. Doubt you're gonna find a better deal. edit- I say that because you said you were in the market for an AWD. $5000 may seem like alot, but it's really not for what you're getting. edit dos- Unless it DOES have something wrong with it. Did you end up driving it?

LOL... I can't offer him $5000 PLUS my car. I originally offered him $500 plus my car and that's only because my tax return was $380. I don't have that much extra money to spend, and truthfully... I'm looking for a 1G anyway.

UberingramApr-10-05 08:59 AM
Donating 2GNT member
10001 posts,
#2345, "RE: '99 Eclipse RS for '96 TSi AWD?"
In response to Reply # 12

and truthfully... I'm looking for a 1G anyway.

OooOoOo! Now that's the spirit!

NarcoApr-10-05 09:31 AM
Member since Jun 01st 2004
93 posts,
#2346, "RE: '99 Eclipse RS for '96 TSi AWD?"
In response to Reply # 9

Back to the GSX hunt it is... *sigh*

Like Uber said, don't give up. I had just about given up when mine came up for sale. I still have my GS, but I LOVE my GSX! Definately worth the wait, and it's just a fun car to drive

'98 GSX
'98 GS(In case ^ Breaks)Weird, the GS broke before the 4G did, F'n headgasket.

BRU_ceApr-10-05 10:01 AM
1457 posts,
#2347, "RE: '99 Eclipse RS for '96 TSi AWD?"
In response to Reply # 14

Well I found another guy who is willing to trade... this time it's a '91 GSX. He has these mods:

Engine:
Custom 3inch cat back exhuast(no cat)
Custom 2 1/2 downpipe
2g MAS
2g Intake
Big 16g turbo
550cc injectors
ported head (intake side)
2g exhaust manifold
Custom 2 1/4 intercooling piping
Cometic 4layer metal head gasket
walbro 255 fuel pump
manual boost controller
Transmission:
Act 2100 clutch
lightened flywheel

Suspenion:
kyb struts front and rear
lowered 2 inches in front

Interior:
AFC
autometer boost gauge
autometer air/fuel gauge
greddy turbo timer
Ractive Tachometer

So what do you guys think? Should I do an even trade or ask for money on top?

What do you guys figure that it's putting down horsepower-wise or estimated 1/4 mile?

Top 4G63 Technical 4G63 Tech topic #2332 Previous topic | Next topic