Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 2 Users in Chat
Top 4G63 Technical 4G63 Tech topic #1841
View in linear mode

Subject: "finnally replaced my 420a with a 1g" Previous topic | Next topic
import1996rsJul-06-05 02:56 PM
Member since Jun 06th 2004
277 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#1841, "finnally replaced my 420a with a 1g"

some lady cut me off and i t-boned her and wrecked my car. i have been looking for a couple of months now and i finnaly found a got a 1991 eclipse gsx 5spd with 95k on the clock, bone stock. now time to upgrade. here are some pics http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2043720

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: finnally replaced my 420a with a 1g, Diceman19, Jul-06-05 03:59 PM, #1
RE: finnally replaced my 420a with a 1g, ModeratoreclipzGST, Jul-06-05 08:07 PM, #2
      RE: finnally replaced my 420a with a 1g, import1996rs, Jul-07-05 04:25 PM, #3
           RE: finnally replaced my 420a with a 1g, SilverBullet20g, Jul-07-05 04:27 PM, #4
                RE: finnally replaced my 420a with a 1g, Narco, Jul-07-05 04:56 PM, #5
                     RE: finnally replaced my 420a with a 1g, kelvinb1, Jul-07-05 09:03 PM, #6
                          RE: finnally replaced my 420a with a 1g, HybriDSM, Jul-08-05 04:13 AM, #7
                               RE: finnally replaced my 420a with a 1g, import1996rs, Jul-08-05 01:55 PM, #8
                                    RE: finnally replaced my 420a with a 1g, ModeratoreclipzGST, Jul-08-05 02:49 PM, #9
                                         RE: finnally replaced my 420a with a 1g, import1996rs, Jul-08-05 02:58 PM, #10
                                              RE: finnally replaced my 420a with a 1g, ModeratoreclipzGST, Jul-08-05 03:10 PM, #11
                                                   RE: finnally replaced my 420a with a 1g, import1996rs, Jul-09-05 12:01 PM, #12
                                                        RE: finnally replaced my 420a with a 1g, import1996rs, Jul-09-05 02:40 PM, #13
                                                             RE: finnally replaced my 420a with a 1g, HybriDSM, Jul-10-05 02:23 PM, #14
                                                                  RE: finnally replaced my 420a with a 1g, import1996rs, Jul-10-05 05:07 PM, #15
                                                                  RE: finnally replaced my 420a with a 1g, HybriDSM, Jul-10-05 06:00 PM, #16
                                                                       RE: finnally replaced my 420a with a 1g, import1996rs, Jul-10-05 06:18 PM, #17
                                                                  RE: finnally replaced my 420a with a 1g, Dualgen2, Jul-11-05 02:25 PM, #18
                                                                       RE: finnally replaced my 420a with a 1g, import1996rs, Jul-12-05 09:54 AM, #19

Diceman19Jul-06-05 03:59 PM
Donating 2GNT member
4629 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#1842, "RE: finnally replaced my 420a with a 1g"
In response to Reply # 0

hmmm. clean as a mutha trucka. whatever you do, dont vent. do some free mods and make her go fast. take care of it too.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

ModeratoreclipzGSTJul-06-05 08:07 PM
Old School 2GNTer
7335 posts,
#1843, "RE: finnally replaced my 420a with a 1g"
In response to Reply # 1

VERY nice car. How much did you pay and what state are you in? Just curious...

Originally posted by Avenger
When I raise the BS flag ... it's a really big fucking flag and I raise it really fucking high too.

"Never whistle while your pissing." ~The illuminatus Trilogy

import1996rsJul-07-05 04:25 PM
277 posts,
#1844, "RE: finnally replaced my 420a with a 1g"
In response to Reply # 2

i live in maryland. i paid 3700 for it. its very clean leather interior power windows moon roof. rides very nice as well.

SilverBullet20gJul-07-05 04:27 PM
Member since Sep 25th 2004
558 posts,
#1845, "RE: finnally replaced my 420a with a 1g"
In response to Reply # 3

Clean car, congrats!

(parting out 95 GS)

NarcoJul-07-05 04:56 PM
Member since Jun 01st 2004
93 posts,
#1846, "RE: finnally replaced my 420a with a 1g"
In response to Reply # 4

Now the real fun begins.
You'll be disappointed when the car only runs a 14.1 lol.

'98 GSX
'98 GS(In case ^ Breaks)Weird, the GS broke before the 4G did, F'n headgasket.

kelvinb1Jul-07-05 09:03 PM
Member since Apr 06th 2004
1543 posts,
#1847, "RE: finnally replaced my 420a with a 1g"
In response to Reply # 5

14.1 isnt bad stock. throw a mbc on it and youll have lots o fun

HybriDSMJul-08-05 04:13 AM
Member since Aug 07th 2002
2407 posts,
#1848, "RE: finnally replaced my 420a with a 1g"
In response to Reply # 6

Originally posted by kelvinb1
14.1 isnt bad stock. throw a mbc on it and youll have lots o fun

Stock DSM running 14.1? 15.1 is closer to the truth, but that's a story and discussion for another day.

Congrats on the purchase. Where in MD did you find it? I live in Rockville, and spend a lot of time in Westminster and in Baltimore too? How did I miss this gem of a car?

It's running again shitheads.

http://www.dsmregistry.com/detail.php?carid=791

HybriDSM@gmail.com ; HybriDSM@hotmail.com

Think for yourself. Question authority does not always mean disagree with authority.

If life were perfect, I'd be Calvin and you'd be Hobbes.

import1996rsJul-08-05 01:55 PM
277 posts,
#1849, "RE: finnally replaced my 420a with a 1g"
In response to Reply # 7

i actually got it in rockville. my plans are to have it running 12s by the end of the summer, i have some people to compete with over here in fredneck. do you think it is better to upgrade the turbo or stick with the stock and higher boost levels? plus supporting mods of coarse. im thinking stick with stock exhaust but upgrade the downpipe and get a cut out, and a front mount ic, fuel upgrade and little other odds an ends. i have alot more reasearching to do about it all, but what do you all think?

ModeratoreclipzGSTJul-08-05 02:49 PM
Old School 2GNTer
7335 posts,
#1850, "RE: finnally replaced my 420a with a 1g"
In response to Reply # 8
Jul-08-05 02:51 PM by eclipzGST

Originally posted by import1996rs
i actually got it in rockville. my plans are to have it running 12s by the end of the summer, i have some people to compete with over here in fredneck. do you think it is better to upgrade the turbo or stick with the stock and higher boost levels? plus supporting mods of coarse. im thinking stick with stock exhaust but upgrade the downpipe and get a cut out, and a front mount ic, fuel upgrade and little other odds an ends. i have alot more reasearching to do about it all, but what do you all think?

we all think you shoud read this:
http://www.buschurracing.com/upgrade.html
and this:
http://www.vfaq.com

When I raise the BS flag ... it's a really big fucking flag and I raise it really fucking high too.

import1996rsJul-08-05 02:58 PM
277 posts,
#1851, "RE: finnally replaced my 420a with a 1g"
In response to Reply # 9

been reading it,lol, i searched and found some stuff prior to reading this reply, what do you think about stock exhaust and a cut out?

ModeratoreclipzGSTJul-08-05 03:10 PM
Old School 2GNTer
7335 posts,
#1852, "RE: finnally replaced my 420a with a 1g"
In response to Reply # 10

Originally posted by import1996rs
what do you think about stock exhaust and a cut out?

I think that on the street, you'll have a HUGE bottleneck.

import1996rsJul-09-05 12:01 PM
277 posts,
#1853, "RE: finnally replaced my 420a with a 1g"
In response to Reply # 11

i kinda figured that. is there any way to keep the noise level down while no killing the performance? im trying to build a sleeper for the most part so im trying to keep the noise out the back down. any thoughts?

import1996rsJul-09-05 02:40 PM
277 posts,
#1854, "RE: finnally replaced my 420a with a 1g"
In response to Reply # 12

ok well ive decided to just upgrade the exhaust and say screw it to the cut out. im planning on keeping the 14b for a while will this affect what size exhaust i should get? i searched and found mixed opinions about it. also ive seen that the awd cars like the act 2600 clutch. this is going to be my dailly driver but ill be at school so not a lot of road time. how long (miles) does it usually last with normal driving and then some runs on the weekend? thanks

HybriDSMJul-10-05 02:23 PM
2407 posts,
#1855, "RE: finnally replaced my 420a with a 1g"
In response to Reply # 13
Jul-10-05 02:25 PM by HybriDSM

If you get an exhaust, a 2.5" should be fine for the 14b without getting boost creep. If you get a 3" (which I suggest you do if you ever expect to get a bigger turbo), you will have to port the shit out the wastegate hole and the exhaust housing to avoid debilitating creep. Getting a 3" turbo back is perfectly fine as long as you do the prt work at the same time.

Also, the ACT 2600 is a tried and true flywheel/clutch set-up, but if you rag on the car using that 2600 to launch the car fairly often, keep in mind that the tranny is going to give up the ghost, and perhaps you'll want to save up for a new one (from Shepherd I might add). They are awesome for getting the power to the ground, but the weak stock tranny can only take so much. The only reason I say this is beause people often throw in the 2600 and then take the car to the track every weekend, shred their tranny in a month, and wonder "why the car sucks so much". The stock tranny is the car's weak point.

BTW, Jeff_99gs and I live in Rockville, so I'd like to see the car one day since it looks to be in such good shape. Are you around MD (Frederick) often?

Think for yourself. Question authority does not always mean disagree with authority.

import1996rsJul-10-05 05:07 PM
277 posts,
#1856, "RE: finnally replaced my 420a with a 1g"
In response to Reply # 14
Jul-10-05 05:36 PM by import1996rs

yea i live right outside frederick in middletown. we can def meet up sometime. im on a bit of a budget and heading to school soon so i cant do all i plan on doing for a while and trying to figure where to start. im thinking just start by building the tranny and put some 2g pistons on the 1g rods and all that before modding it heavily and trying to push some quick time down the 1/4.
edit:also tomorrow i plan on doing a compression test and see what numbers i get, what should they be around? also what fuse should i pull i tried searching but cant figure out what fuse it is, and also do i pull all the plugs then test or one at a time? thanks for the help.

HybriDSMJul-10-05 06:00 PM
2407 posts,
#1857, "RE: finnally replaced my 420a with a 1g"
In response to Reply # 15

The small fuse box attached to the positive battery terminal has three fuses in it. Pull the MPI fuse.

When you compression test, only pull one plug at a time, then make sure you are florring the gas while cranking the engine.

You should hopefully get numbers 160+. #2 will likely be the lowest, but if you have any one cylinder that is ~20 psi off from the rest (greater or lesser), that is beyond service limit. Minimum you should have in any one cylinder is something like 125 psi (I think that is service limit) but you want much higher than that.

import1996rsJul-10-05 06:18 PM
277 posts,
#1858, "RE: finnally replaced my 420a with a 1g"
In response to Reply # 16

ok ill check it out and post up tomorrow afternoon. i saw that fuse but wasnt sure if it was the one or not. thanks.

Dualgen2Jul-11-05 02:25 PM
Old School 2GNTer
3726 posts,
#1859, "RE: finnally replaced my 420a with a 1g"
In response to Reply # 14

Originally posted by HybriDSM
BTW, Jeff_99gs and I live in Rockville, so I'd like to see the car one day since it looks to be in such good shape. Are you around MD (Frederick) often?

You cunt. I live in rockville to. I'm not special matt? I was here before you. I run this city. Anyways, Middletown isn;t far. You should come down to Rockville sometime when Matt's car is back on the road. What a bad ass 1G.
-Dave

2009 Corolla S - waiting until 2012 for my next toy!
*SOLD* 1992 3000GT VR4 - pearl white and 45,6xx miles!
*SOLD* 2007 Subaru Legacy GT sedan
*SOLD* 95 Mitsubishi 3000GT VR4 - BPU
*SOLD* 97 Eclipse GS Star Stage 2

import1996rsJul-12-05 09:54 AM
277 posts,
#1860, "RE: finnally replaced my 420a with a 1g"
In response to Reply # 18

ok well i finnaly got some time to check out the compression, i got 150, 148, 124, 149. thats not the greatest news in the world, but i was planning on rebuilding it and the tranny anyway before i start to mod, so not a huge deal. one questtion i have though, how tight should the test be on? you have the gauge and then the rubber hose the connects to the cylinder. i hand tighened it down, is that what you are supposed to do? i saw no other way of getting any tighter? also where is a good place to rebuild the engine? im thinking that if i can find another 6 bolt at a junk yard and rebuild it and still drive my car while its getting built(for core). let me know thanks.

Top 4G63 Technical 4G63 Tech topic #1841 Previous topic | Next topic