Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 1 User in Chat
Top 4G63 Technical 4G63 Tech topic #1831
View in linear mode

Subject: "Evo engine swap?" Previous topic | Next topic
Mattcky2kJul-12-05 12:12 PM
Member since Jan 27th 2002
1135 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#1831, "Evo engine swap?"

A friend and I have been talking about this for a couple days now and i've tried searching on the net for anything related to it but would it be resonably possible to swap an evo engine in a 2g? i know anythings possible with money so that's why i say resonably possible.

1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX: K&N Filter, John Sheppard built transmission with GVR4 1st gear, autometer boost gauge, "free mods", Greddy type-s BOV, broken shifter

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: Evo engine swap?, Vandy420a, Jul-12-05 12:44 PM, #1
RE: Evo engine swap?, TeamJeff_99gs, Jul-12-05 01:01 PM, #2
      RE: Evo engine swap?, FlyinEsi, Jul-12-05 01:12 PM, #3
           RE: Evo engine swap?, Mattcky2k, Jul-12-05 06:30 PM, #4
                RE: Evo engine swap?, TeamJeff_99gs, Jul-13-05 07:38 AM, #5
                     RE: Evo engine swap?, BMPDirk, Jul-13-05 10:47 AM, #6
                          RE: Evo engine swap?, Mattcky2k, Jul-13-05 03:25 PM, #7
                               RE: Evo engine swap?, Moderator992gnt, Jul-13-05 04:37 PM, #8
                                    RE: Evo engine swap?, Vandy420a, Jul-14-05 01:59 PM, #9

Vandy420aJul-12-05 12:44 PM
Member since Jun 04th 2003
2037 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#1832, "RE: Evo engine swap?"
In response to Reply # 0

no, road race engineering talks about this on their website.

"EVO Motors: The valve covers of the EVO 1-3 motors will be a kind of titanium color. They are the same as a US 2G motor with nothing fancy. They have the smaller 2G style intake ports, a small runner intake manifold with a larger plenum and a larger throttle body than a 2G motor. Still they are hard to find. Many are from other 4G63 powered cars and can have small 13G sized turbos. They will not bolt into a 1G because there are no provisions for the front roll stopper motor mounts that bolt to the block. Everything in Japan from 94 and up has the front and rear roll stopper motor mounts on the transmission 2G Eclipse style. Many people are running around yapping about how they have an EVO motor in their car. If it bolts into a 1G, it isn't an EVO motor."

http://www.roadraceengineering.com/4g63motorsearch.htm

Basically, you'd need an evo tranny, evo driveshafts all around, custom driveshafts to the diffs, new motor mounts, new harnesses, new blah blah blah and for what? A 4g63 that mirrors the original motor?--totally not worth it. Buy a 2g motor from another eclipse. If you must have difficulty in your life, buy a 6 bolt from a 1g.

---------------------------------------

Black 98 GST missing her owner and looking for a new one...Inquiries welcome

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

TeamJeff_99gsJul-12-05 01:01 PM
Donating 2GNT member
5473 posts,
#1833, "RE: Evo engine swap?"
In response to Reply # 1

No. Especially no if you are talking about an Evo 4-8 engine. It is flipped around in the engine bay and will cost thousands of dollars extra for fab work.

FlyinEsiJul-12-05 01:12 PM
Donating 2GNT member
5187 posts,
#1834, "RE: Evo engine swap?"
In response to Reply # 2

Why would you even want to when our motors are capable of 600+ WHP??? I doubt you can get much more, if any more out of an EVO motor.

Mattcky2kJul-12-05 06:30 PM
1135 posts,
#1835, "RE: Evo engine swap?"
In response to Reply # 3

i was just wondering. my friend and i were just sitting around thinking of differnt engine swaps and that was one of them. and i was talking about the later evo engines cause i already new the old ones would.

1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX: K&N Filter, John Sheppard built transmission with GVR4 1st gear, autometer boost gauge, "free mods", Greddy type-s BOV, broken shifter

TeamJeff_99gsJul-13-05 07:38 AM
Donating 2GNT member
5473 posts,
#1836, "RE: Evo engine swap?"
In response to Reply # 4

Originally posted by Mattcky2k
i was talking about the later evo engines cause i already new the old ones would.

Did you even read any of the replies in this thread?

BMPDirkJul-13-05 10:47 AM
Member since Jul 24th 2002
1288 posts,
#1837, "RE: Evo engine swap?"
In response to Reply # 5
Jul-13-05 10:48 AM by BMPDirk

can i put a LS1 in my GST? I know it will take alot of time, money, and fabrication, but i think it would be SWEET. If it's physically possible, is there enough space to squeeze in dual flux capacitors with proton emitters and fuzion tanks?

Mattcky2kJul-13-05 03:25 PM
1135 posts,
#1838, "RE: Evo engine swap?"
In response to Reply # 6

Originally posted by BMPDirk
can i put a LS1 in my GST? I know it will take alot of time, money, and fabrication, but i think it would be SWEET. If it's physically possible, is there enough space to squeeze in dual flux capacitors with proton emitters and fuzion tanks?

OH! got me there! ha ha ha! idiot

Moderator992gntJul-13-05 04:37 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2245 posts,
#1839, "RE: Evo engine swap?"
In response to Reply # 7
Jul-13-05 04:40 PM by 992gnt

The Evo 8 engine is spun around the right way if you're talking about dropping it in a 2gnt. The front mount goes through the t-belt cover just like a 420a. The tranny mounts are also similar in their general location. It would be more like doing a 2.4l swap on the 2gnt than putting a GS-T engine in a 2gnt. The tranny would be the biggest issue - I don't think there is enough room for the t-case in there.

And only 600hp out of an Evo? I can point you easily to a half dozen or more putting out over 600hp. There are a several over 700hp as well. It's still a 4g63 after all.

Greg

'19 Genesis G70 3.3t AWD
'88 Chrysler Conquest TSI

Vandy420aJul-14-05 01:59 PM
Member since Jun 04th 2003
2037 posts,
#1840, "RE: Evo engine swap?"
In response to Reply # 8
Jul-14-05 02:00 PM by Vandy420a

but there's no reason you can't see that kind of power with a built 1g motor either...

I'm semi-hijacking this thread with this, but fuck it, its been answered: Is the newer evo motor capable of more power? I've heard the configuration (mirror to the 2/1g's) is stronger for some reason, but i haven't heard anything else on the topic. Any links?

thanks!

---------------------------------------

Black 98 GST missing her owner and looking for a new one...Inquiries welcome

Top 4G63 Technical 4G63 Tech topic #1831 Previous topic | Next topic