Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 1 User in Chat
Top 4G63 Technical 4G63 Tech topic #1677
View in linear mode

Subject: "1.8L 1G Help..." Previous topic | Next topic
SirZyrionJul-31-05 11:46 AM
Member since Jul 31st 2005
6 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#1677, "1.8L 1G Help..."

What's up people? I've got a slight situation I need some help with. I did a search and all, and I'm not sure where to put this one, so move if needed. Here goes:

My brother bought a 5-speed, SOHC, 93 Eclipse for $400. He says it's a 1.8L, chich I'd never heard of until the purchase. Anyway, When he started it, it backfired and put a hole in the valve cover. Ever hear of this? He said it was just because the timing was off, but I told him the motor was blown. I suggested he part it out to get more money for another car or buy another Eclipse and use this one for a parts car.

Here's my list of questions:

1. Can we replace the 1.8L with the 2.0 or 2.4, turbo or NA?

2. About how much should a replacement motor cost for this thing?

3. What would cause the motor to put a hole in the valve cover ie how much damage is done to the engine? Will I have to replace the whole engine or can I get away with pistons, cam, valve cover, etc.?

4. Is it worth it to even work on this car or should I just have him part it out and buy another one with a better motor?

Sorry for all the questions, but I know nothing about the 1.8L SOHC eclipse so this was a tough one for me even after my 2G and my current 3G. Thanks guys!

-Sir Zyrion

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

TeamJeff_99gsJul-31-05 12:06 PM
Donating 2GNT member
5473 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#1678, "RE: 1.8L 1G Help..."
In response to Reply # 0

The 1.8L cars are so plentiful and cheap you can pick them up for next to nothing. I wouldn't even bother repairing it unless the body is in perfect condition. Swapping another engine is pretty easy. Chances are if there is a hole in the valve cover there is damage somewhere else as well. You will also find it hard to part those cars out since nobody really wants anything from that engine.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

SirZyrionAug-02-05 04:26 AM
6 posts,
#1679, "RE: 1.8L 1G Help..."
In response to Reply # 1

I posted this before I actually SAW the car (should have known better). Body is pretty good. Interior and engine need MAJOR work. He says it won't start: the engine is totally seized up. So much for parting out body/interior. I guess I'll have to make the most of it. Thanks!

-Sir Zyrion

JReynosaJul-31-05 01:43 PM
Member since Oct 15th 2003
396 posts,
#1680, "RE: 1.8L 1G Help..."
In response to Reply # 0

Might want to check out http://www.dsm1eights.com/.

SirZyrionAug-02-05 04:29 AM
6 posts,
#1681, "RE: 1.8L 1G Help..."
In response to Reply # 2

NO SHIT!!! There's a whole 1.8L site?!?! I've been in my 3G so long I didn't know it existed! I need to pull my head out of my ass huh? Team 2gnt saves the day once again (no sarcasm intended... I really didn't know)!

Thanks guys!
::crying::: I love this site!

-Sir Zyrion

Top 4G63 Technical 4G63 Tech topic #1677 Previous topic | Next topic