Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 4G63 Technical 4G63 Tech topic #167
View in linear mode

Subject: "Differences between tsi and gsx?" Previous topic | Next topic
hookduphatchSep-02-06 02:38 PM
Member since Jul 10th 2004
552 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#167, "Differences between tsi and gsx?"

Okay. I'm preparing to get rid of my current RS, and pick up a Talon TSI AWD. After a search on ebay, I came across a slight thing that I am in question about.

And the question is: is there a difference in the drivetrain between the gsx and the tsi awd? i read that the gsx comes with a front a rear differential with lsd, whereas the tsi awd only comes with a front?

also, if this is true, how hard would it be to swap out the gsx parts, and even better yet, is it worth it?

95 Eclipse RS - Sold and In Montana Now
Project 95 GSX - In Full swing.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: Differences between tsi and gsx?, Moderatorbullettdsm, Sep-02-06 02:59 PM, #1
RE: Differences between tsi and gsx?, burntheblobs, Sep-02-06 03:13 PM, #2
      RE: Differences between tsi and gsx?, hookduphatch, Sep-02-06 03:28 PM, #3
      RE: Differences between tsi and gsx?, kelvinb1, Sep-03-06 07:05 AM, #11
           RE: Differences between tsi and gsx?, hookduphatch, Sep-03-06 08:53 AM, #12
           RE: Differences between tsi and gsx?, 97eclipse97, Sep-03-06 01:16 PM, #13
                RE: Differences between tsi and gsx?, hookduphatch, Sep-03-06 01:20 PM, #14
                RE: Differences between tsi and gsx?, T_K, Sep-04-06 04:01 AM, #16
                     RE: Differences between tsi and gsx?, 97eclipse97, Sep-05-06 02:31 PM, #17
                          RE: Differences between tsi and gsx?, T_K, Sep-05-06 04:43 PM, #18
                               RE: Differences between tsi and gsx?, 97eclipse97, Sep-18-06 12:04 PM, #19
                                    RE: Differences between tsi and gsx?, hookduphatch, Sep-18-06 12:54 PM, #20
                                         RE: Differences between tsi and gsx?, ModeratoreclipzGST, Sep-18-06 03:22 PM, #21
                                              RE: Differences between tsi and gsx?, hookduphatch, Sep-18-06 05:34 PM, #22
                                                   RE: Differences between tsi and gsx?, ModeratoreclipzGST, Sep-18-06 06:06 PM, #23
                                                        RE: Differences between tsi and gsx?, hookduphatch, Sep-18-06 06:09 PM, #24
           RE: Differences between tsi and gsx?, Moderatorbullettdsm, Sep-03-06 03:46 PM, #15
      RE: Differences between tsi and gsx?, ModeratoreclipzGST, Sep-02-06 03:29 PM, #4
           RE: Differences between tsi and gsx?, hookduphatch, Sep-02-06 03:34 PM, #5
                RE: Differences between tsi and gsx?, burntheblobs, Sep-02-06 06:46 PM, #6
                     RE: Differences between tsi and gsx?, hookduphatch, Sep-02-06 07:03 PM, #7
                          RE: Differences between tsi and gsx?, Moderatorbullettdsm, Sep-03-06 01:18 AM, #8
                          RE: Differences between tsi and gsx?, Diceman19, Sep-03-06 02:44 AM, #9
                               RE: Differences between tsi and gsx?, T_K, Sep-03-06 03:01 AM, #10

ModeratorbullettdsmSep-02-06 02:59 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2676 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#168, "RE: Differences between tsi and gsx?"
In response to Reply # 0

I'm thinking maybe I misunderstand your question (so don't freak out on my answer) but if it didn't have a rear diff, how would it drive the rears?

MB

Captain Caveman

96 RS Turbo 11.414 @ 119.62 MSNS, Crower 2 NA cams, BW366, 10.5 comp, UDP, 60mm TB, W/A intercooler, 3.55 tranny 567.9whp 430tq
97 RS NA 13.188 @ 103.87 MSnS powered 12.5 comp, Crower 3's and 219.4whp with 175tq
98 RS DD 12.5 comp on stock ECU, LTH, Crower 2's, Koni, GC, Hypercoil, DG hats
99 OZ 5sp Stocker 15.856 @ 85.97
99 GS stocker auto 17.7@77mph!

wiki home page:http://www.2gnt.com/index.php?d=bullettdsm

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

burntheblobsSep-02-06 03:13 PM
Donating 2GNT member
1445 posts,
#169, "RE: Differences between tsi and gsx?"
In response to Reply # 1
Sep-02-06 03:15 PM by burntheblobs

Originally posted by bullettdsm
I'm thinking maybe I misunderstand your question (so don't freak out on my answer) but if it didn't have a rear diff, how would it drive the rears? MB

He meant the differential with LSD. The way I understand it, the gsx and tsi are exactly the same. Some cars come with ABS, some come with LSD and some (specifically 92+) come with ABS and LSD. And this part is only partly guessing but I think the LSD is just a front wheel lsd on all models.

1991 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX - SOLD
2006 Mustang GT Convertible

hookduphatchSep-02-06 03:28 PM
552 posts,
#170, "RE: Differences between tsi and gsx?"
In response to Reply # 2

this is what i was meaning. taken from the ebay auction:

The engine has about 65,000 mile on it and it came out of a 1998 eclipse GSX. Along with the engine is the drivetrain and tranny from the same car. These cars come with a limited slip in the front and not in the rear. This one has the setup on both given the donor cars extra differential.

also, thanks for the quick replies guys. i'm just trying to get this figured out.

kelvinb1Sep-03-06 07:05 AM
Member since Apr 06th 2004
1543 posts,
#171, "RE: Differences between tsi and gsx?"
In response to Reply # 3

what year of car are you looking for?

hookduphatchSep-03-06 08:53 AM
552 posts,
#172, "RE: Differences between tsi and gsx?"
In response to Reply # 11

i am looking at buying the talon that's in the 4g63 for sale at the top of this area. if i can ever get ahold of the seller.

97eclipse97Sep-03-06 01:16 PM
Member since Jul 29th 2003
695 posts,
#173, "RE: Differences between tsi and gsx?"
In response to Reply # 12

Well in that case (since it is a 2g), there are non of the abs/lsd 3 bolt/4 bolt "issues" like the 1g's. The only thing they changed was the spline count of the output shaft to the transfer case for 2gb's. So nothing for you to worry about (as far as the lsd or whatever).

'95 GSX - New motor/turbo going in...
'95 TSi AWD - For sale...buy me!
'03.5 MazdaSpeed Protege - Stock daily driver
'97 CBR 600 - Purple is a real man's color

hookduphatchSep-03-06 01:20 PM
552 posts,
#174, "RE: Differences between tsi and gsx?"
In response to Reply # 13

ok. does anyone know the seller of that car? i've been trying to get in touch all weekend with no luck.

T_KSep-04-06 04:01 AM
Member since Nov 03rd 2005
219 posts,
#175, "RE: Differences between tsi and gsx?"
In response to Reply # 13

Originally posted by 97eclipse97
Well in that case (since it is a 2g), there are non of the abs/lsd 3 bolt/4 bolt "issues" like the 1g's. The only thing they changed was the spline count of the output shaft to the transfer case for 2gb's. So nothing for you to worry about (as far as the lsd or whatever).

Wait there, I'm sure with 2Gs rear LSD was an "option" so not all cars have it.

1993 Eagle Talon TSI AWD: balance shafts, cruise & AC removed; 16psi, Dejon intake & UICP, ported 14b, EVOIII mani, ported 2G O2 housing, 2.5" Buschur dp to 3" Thermal exhaust, datalogger, front strut brace, prothane motor mounts

1995 Eclipse RS U-Boot; Tokico Illuminas, GSX front brakes, ST front swaybar, short shifter, CAI with K&N filter, rear disks and swaybar, front upper and rear lower strut braces, beater exterior

97eclipse97Sep-05-06 02:31 PM
695 posts,
#176, "RE: Differences between tsi and gsx?"
In response to Reply # 16

Originally posted by T_K
Originally posted by 97eclipse97 Well in that case (since it is a 2g), there are non of the abs/lsd 3 bolt/4 bolt "issues" like the 1g's. The only thing they changed was the spline count of the output shaft to the transfer case for 2gb's. So nothing for you to worry about (as far as the lsd or whatever).
Wait there, I'm sure with 2Gs rear LSD was an "option" so not all cars have it.

How sure are you? I personally have never seen a 2g AWD without a rear LSD. I even searched and only found the usual 1g LSD/ABS option. Does anyone have a 2g AWD with no LSD (or seen one)?

T_KSep-05-06 04:43 PM
219 posts,
#177, "RE: Differences between tsi and gsx?"
In response to Reply # 17

I remember extensive discussions on dsmtalk about 2G LSD rears and I actually just did a quick search there and found a few mentions:

"My 97 has limited slip. I still have the original window sticker for it and its listed as an option. It says--

LTD SLP DIFFERENTIAL $266.00"

"I have a 2G with OUT the LSD option. Totally sucks in the snow. Anyway, for those of you with 2G's are these things 4bolts? If they are can they be swapped out with other 4bolts that have lsd's?

Mine is an early 2G Build Date - 4/94"

"in 98 both leather and power sunroof were standard equipment on the GSX. Also, ABS and LSD rear came together in an option package."

I suppose most just got that option anyway.

1993 Eagle Talon TSI AWD: balance shafts, cruise & AC removed; 16psi, Dejon intake & UICP, ported 14b, EVOIII mani, ported 2G O2 housing, 2.5" Buschur dp to 3" Thermal exhaust, datalogger, front strut brace, prothane motor mounts

1995 Eclipse RS U-Boot; Tokico Illuminas, GSX front brakes, ST front swaybar, short shifter, CAI with K&N filter, rear disks and swaybar, front upper and rear lower strut braces, beater exterior

97eclipse97Sep-18-06 12:04 PM
695 posts,
#178, "RE: Differences between tsi and gsx?"
In response to Reply # 18

Originally posted by T_K
I remember extensive discussions on dsmtalk about 2G LSD rears and I actually just did a quick search there and found a few mentions: "My 97 has limited slip. I still have the original window sticker for it and its listed as an option. It says-- LTD SLP DIFFERENTIAL $266.00" "I have a 2G with OUT the LSD option. Totally sucks in the snow. Anyway, for those of you with 2G's are these things 4bolts? If they are can they be swapped out with other 4bolts that have lsd's? Mine is an early 2G Build Date - 4/94" "in 98 both leather and power sunroof were standard equipment on the GSX. Also, ABS and LSD rear came together in an option package." I suppose most just got that option anyway.

Thanks for that info, as I could not find anything saying otherwise. I agree that almost all just came with the option.

hookduphatchSep-18-06 12:54 PM
552 posts,
#179, "RE: Differences between tsi and gsx?"
In response to Reply # 19

i now have the 95 gsx. picked it up yesterday. is there anyway to tell which i have that's not difficult?

ModeratoreclipzGSTSep-18-06 03:22 PM
Old School 2GNTer
7335 posts,
#180, "RE: Differences between tsi and gsx?"
In response to Reply # 20

Originally posted by hookduphatch
i now have the 95 gsx. picked it up yesterday. is there anyway to tell which i have that's not difficult?

Drivers side door jam will have a sticker saying so.

Originally posted by Avenger
When I raise the BS flag ... it's a really big fucking flag and I raise it really fucking high too.

"Never whistle while your pissing." ~The illuminatus Trilogy

hookduphatchSep-18-06 05:34 PM
552 posts,
#181, "RE: Differences between tsi and gsx?"
In response to Reply # 21

just checked. the rear is lsd.

ModeratoreclipzGSTSep-18-06 06:06 PM
Old School 2GNTer
7335 posts,
#182, "RE: Differences between tsi and gsx?"
In response to Reply # 22

just checked. the rear is lsd.

When I raise the BS flag ... it's a really big fucking flag and I raise it really fucking high too.

hookduphatchSep-18-06 06:09 PM
552 posts,
#183, "RE: Differences between tsi and gsx?"
In response to Reply # 23

yeah

thanks.

ModeratorbullettdsmSep-03-06 03:46 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2676 posts,
#184, "RE: Differences between tsi and gsx?"
In response to Reply # 11

Originally posted by kelvinb1
what year of car are you looking for?

LOL! Crap! Good question. I saw LSD and we were in the 1g section and I just figured....LOL!

Never mind my previous posts. Not applicable.

MB

Captain Caveman

96 RS Turbo 11.414 @ 119.62 MSNS, Crower 2 NA cams, BW366, 10.5 comp, UDP, 60mm TB, W/A intercooler, 3.55 tranny 567.9whp 430tq
97 RS NA 13.188 @ 103.87 MSnS powered 12.5 comp, Crower 3's and 219.4whp with 175tq

ModeratoreclipzGSTSep-02-06 03:29 PM
Old School 2GNTer
7335 posts,
#185, "RE: Differences between tsi and gsx?"
In response to Reply # 2

The ONLY differences between TSi's and GSX's of the same year are visual. Bumpers, badging and painted roof.
Engines, drivetrain, interior and most of the body are IDENTICAL.
Oh yeah, the biggest difference between the two: ...price.

hookduphatchSep-02-06 03:34 PM
552 posts,
#186, "RE: Differences between tsi and gsx?"
In response to Reply # 4

price indeed. why i'm getting a talon and converting the rear to eclipse spec.

burntheblobsSep-02-06 06:46 PM
Donating 2GNT member
1445 posts,
#187, "RE: Differences between tsi and gsx?"
In response to Reply # 5

price indeed. why i'm getting a talon and converting the rear to eclipse spec.

The rear end is exactly the same. Unless your talking about the tail lights.

1991 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX - SOLD
2006 Mustang GT Convertible

hookduphatchSep-02-06 07:03 PM
552 posts,
#188, "RE: Differences between tsi and gsx?"
In response to Reply # 6
Sep-02-06 07:05 PM by hookduphatch

yeah, i'm talking about the tails. never a big fan of the talon tails. but the rear diff on the talon has lsd like the gsx?

ModeratorbullettdsmSep-03-06 01:18 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2676 posts,
#189, "RE: Differences between tsi and gsx?"
In response to Reply # 7
Sep-03-06 01:19 AM by bullettdsm

Doh!..... Ok, gotcha. The diffs are the same GSX or TSI AWD. BUT some came with LSD rear end (GSX and TSI) and some came without. I don't know if that was an option or what. On the one with LSD you will see a plate on the back of the diff that actually has LSD stamped on it. Now there is also the difference of 3 bolt and 4 bolt. The 4 bolt is obviously stronger. I believe they came in the 93 and 94 cars. The biggest problem with identification now is that you can't be sure of what is in there without looking. These rear ends are often swapped out. Though people don't generally swap TO the 3 bolt, they may have, so they could steal the original 4 bolt off the car. It appears from the ad that they have put in a LSD. Wether or not it is a 4 bolt, I can't say.

MB

Captain Caveman

Diceman19Sep-03-06 02:44 AM
Donating 2GNT member
4629 posts,
#190, "RE: Differences between tsi and gsx?"
In response to Reply # 7

yeah, i'm talking about the tails. never a big fan of the talon tails. but the rear diff on the talon has lsd like the gsx?

keep in mind, not all gsx's came with LSD. if it is a 90-91 with ABS, it probably doesnt have an LSD, if it doesnt have ABS, it probably does have an LSD. 92+ are mostly both ABS and LSD.

since you are working with a car that has had "the engine and drivetrain" swapped from another car, or so the seller says, you will have no idea what you have unless you go open it up and look inside. the cars that came with a LSD came with a bright orange sticker on the driver door jamb, but with this supposed swap, you may not even have that. you will be goin on the sellers word and a 50/50 chance. that aint much, besides the fact that sellers are normally douchebags that dont know what they are talking about. good luck though.

T_KSep-03-06 03:01 AM
219 posts,
#191, "RE: Differences between tsi and gsx?"
In response to Reply # 9

Let me clarify something:

Earlier in this thread somebody said about a "Front LSD"

No such thing on our cars. Front differential is open, period. The center differential is also open, but it has a viscous coupler which makes it LSD. The rear diff. might be open or also could be LSD, depending on year and options etc.

Also it's a permanent 50/50 torque split, I mention that because there are a lot of myths on the net about it.

Top 4G63 Technical 4G63 Tech topic #167 Previous topic | Next topic