Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 1 User in Chat
Top 4G63 Technical 4G63 Tech topic #12626
View in linear mode

Subject: "1g stock turbo not boosting past 7 psi" Previous topic | Next topic
Mystic511Oct-06-03 09:40 AM
Donating 2GNT member
1582 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#12626, "1g stock turbo not boosting past 7 psi"

My friend got a 1g eclipse gst. The car wasn't boosting at all so we replaced the wastegate from a 1g talon that was boosting 14psi until it blew.

The eclipse boosts at 7 psi now, but isn't stock boost like 12 psi or something? What else could be hindering boost? Other mods include a blitz ssbov, vented to atmosphere. I was against the idea of venting to atmosphere, but my friends said it would be fine. I'm not sure if improper bov would make it so the turbo wasn't boosting.

The turbo seems to be fine, but if you guys think that's a problem, I know the turbo on the talon is working fine, we can swap the two.

Is there any kind of frequent exhaust leaks or connections that are common? I don't have much experience with 1g's, so I've just been randomly guessing.

The 1g eclipse was fully rebuilt after dying on the road, I think the timing belt snapped. My friend's uncle is a mechanic and he replaced or rebuild the engine. The car moves sluggish at 7 psi, i was kind of disappointed.

16.1 @ 87.11
http://www.virtuallyinfamous.com

ARD 57mm tb and p&p manifold, Neuspeed STB, Pro-kits, Illuminas, Injen CAI with K&N, 2.5" pacesetter catback,
AF/X UDP, Rear STB, Powerslot rotors, RRE SS Brakelines.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

L2RTSiAWDOct-06-03 09:53 AM
Member since Sep 30th 2003
244 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#12627, "RE: 1g stock turbo not boosting past 7 psi"
In response to Reply # 0

That happens becasue of these 3 main things common on 1g's

Exhaust manifold cracked.
Wastegate Hole cracked.
Turbine Housing cracked.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

TeamJeff_99gsOct-06-03 11:35 AM
Donating 2GNT member
5473 posts,
#12628, "RE: 1g stock turbo not boosting past 7 psi"
In response to Reply # 1

That happens becasue of these 3 main things common on 1g'sExhaust manifold cracked.Wastegate Hole cracked.Turbine Housing cracked.

Or boost leak, faulty wastegate actuator, the flapper may not be closing all the way, vacuum hose could be torn somewhere, faulty BOV..

Is the BOV properly installed and configured? It might be leaking. And you are right, venting the BOV to the atmosphere is not the proper way to drive the car.

Does it idle okay?

Mystic511Oct-09-03 10:56 AM
Donating 2GNT member
1582 posts,
#12629, "RE: 1g stock turbo not boosting past 7 psi"
In response to Reply # 2

Alright, so basically check everything.

The wastegate and the bov should be fine, we basically replaced that section of the intake pipe, and the wastegate was just swapped. The problem probably doesn't lie within those parts, the car itself was probably having these problems to begin with. Thanks for the 'checklist'. I'll let my friend know.

16.1 @ 87.11
http://www.virtuallyinfamous.com

ARD 57mm tb and p&p manifold, Neuspeed STB, Pro-kits, Illuminas, Injen CAI with K&N, 2.5" pacesetter catback,
AF/X UDP, Rear STB, Powerslot rotors, RRE SS Brakelines.

Top 4G63 Technical 4G63 Tech topic #12626 Previous topic | Next topic