Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 4G63 Technical 4G63 Tech topic #11318
View in threaded mode

Subject: "99 gst" 1 | 2 | Previous topic | Next topic
BMPDirkApr-12-04 07:34 AM
Member since Jul 24th 2002
1288 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#11318, "99 gst"
Apr-12-04 07:39 AM by BMPDirk

what up everyone,

A week or so ago i posted about my new 99 GST in the pits section, but i just thought id post about it in the official 4g63 section

I dont have too many pics on the web, but from my sig you can tell what it looks like, all stock on the outside.

My current mods are Injen intake, extreme motorsports upper/lower ic piping, 1g bov, and thermal 3 inch cat back.

The only things i have to put in are a short shifter, and a greddy type S bov, which jeff and matt are helping me out with(thanks guys)

Anyway, i have a few questions, just to get some input from a few people. This car is my daily driver so i have to have it as reliable as possible. My performance goals are to have a mid 13 second daily driver and ill be happy.

With that in mind, what should i do next? I was thinking boshur 2.5 downpipe with a boshur 2.5 high flow cat, but ive heard from several people that a high flow cat is not worth the money. I wouldnt mind getting a testpipe, but i dont want to have the car obnoxiously(sp?) loud. Ive heard that the high flow cats on ebay that are like 50 bucks are just resonated test pipes, does anyone know if that is true? Because ideally i would want a resonated testpipe, do they make those for our cars?

After that what turbo should i get? I know the t28 is expensive, but i was trying to keep the car as close to stock as possible, and its capable of making 350hp so i think that would reach my mid 13 sec car goal, any comments? A 14b i think would work out great for my goals, but is it as efficient as a t28? and should i trust a turbo that old?

Thanks for the input guys.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic: Pages 1 | 2
HybriDSMApr-12-04 10:58 AM
Member since Aug 07th 2002
2407 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#11319, "RE: 99 gst"
In response to Reply # 0
Apr-12-04 10:58 AM by HybriDSM

Now that you have a car built for some performance, here is a tip. Ebay is NOT a viable source for parts.

These cars have such a huge aftermarket support, so trust the tuners who spent thousands of hours developing stuff. Go ahead with a test pipe, as it does not make the car really that much louder than a high flow cat (from what I remember), and I'm thinking a 2.5" DP will be fine if you honestly don't want to make huge HP numbers. Chances are, you'll catch the bug and might have to go to 3", but that's a story for another day.

The 14b should be fine for you, but just make sure you get one that the guy knows what he is talking about and can demonstrate that there is no shaft play and the fins are not chipped or bent. There are well maintained turbos out there, and also, if you can get one really cheap that isn't beaten to death, get it rebuilt and it will be like new for cheaper than new.

I'm guessing we'll be doing the TB this weekend, so I'm sure you'll be able to ask Jeff and me more Q's as you think of them. Right on.

It's running again shitheads.

http://www.dsmregistry.com/detail.php?carid=791

HybriDSM@gmail.com ; HybriDSM@hotmail.com

Think for yourself. Question authority does not always mean disagree with authority.

If life were perfect, I'd be Calvin and you'd be Hobbes.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

RemyApr-12-04 11:10 AM
Donating 2GNT member
6156 posts,
#11320, "RE: 99 gst"
In response to Reply # 1

I would not get a 14b. Simply because you will need the same install kit that a 16g or 20g needs so why not go with one of those. Well, not a 20g but maybe a 16g.

A t28 would be a direct swap so you can go that route but I can almost guarantee you will want to get bigger later on down the line.

Edit: You can learn tons from Jeff and Matt We should all be so lucky.

www.dsmlife.com

ModeratoreclipzGSTApr-12-04 11:56 AM
Old School 2GNTer
7335 posts,
#11321, "RE: 99 gst"
In response to Reply # 2

Originally posted by Remy
I would not get a 14b. Simply because you will need the same install kit that a 16g or 20g needs so why not go with one of those. Well, not a 20g but maybe a 16g.

a 14B in decent shape is a LOT cheaper than a 16g or 20g even with the install kit. The install kit will also still work if he upgrades again later

A t28 would be a direct swap so you can go that route but I can almost guarantee you will want to get bigger later on down the line.

why bother? Even a 14b will make a LOT more power than a T-28.

You can learn tons from Jeff and Matt We should all be so lucky.

We ARE that lucky. Unless they decide to not answer our questions anymore.

Originally posted by Avenger
When I raise the BS flag ... it's a really big fucking flag and I raise it really fucking high too.

"Never whistle while your pissing." ~The illuminatus Trilogy

chrysler kidApr-12-04 11:57 AM
Member since Sep 25th 2002
7411 posts,
#11322, "RE: 99 gst"
In response to Reply # 2

just get a test pipe, im sure jeff is running straight pipes on his talon, just ask him to fire it up and youll see the not doesnt really go up, the exhaust just gets louder

11.65 @ 115

Jarrad_GSTApr-12-04 02:28 PM
Member since Jun 23rd 2002
650 posts,
Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#11323, "RE: 99 gst"
In response to Reply # 4

T28 on FWD, not gonna work out too well. Wheel hop like a bitch. T28 is more suitable with AWD. Go with a 16g if you want mid 13s. You'll be able to pull in those AWD cars with 16g. 14b is not worth the money.

Ebay is not bad for performance parts. I get many of my parts of ebay. Many aftermarket dealers sell their parts on ebay. I got my 3'Dp there, and its very nicely made. I got my turbo there too of ebay - Slowboyracing sold it on ebay cheaper than on there site. FMIC from street imports off ebay.

I got my parts from Dejon Tool - custom piping
Ebay - ported 02, dp, Safc2, greddy tt, FMIC, turbo, 1g bov, and all gauges. RRE for ,misc. parts.

97' GST(4G63)
Evo 16G Eclipse

theallpowerfulmeApr-12-04 06:12 PM
Donating 2GNT member
1629 posts,
#11324, "RE: 99 gst"
In response to Reply # 5

Originally posted by Jarrad_GST
T28 on FWD, not gonna work out too well. Wheel hop like a bitch. T28 is more suitable with AWD. Go with a 16g if you want mid 13s. You'll be able to pull in those AWD cars with 16g. 14b is not worth the money. Ebay is not bad for performance parts. I get many of my parts of ebay. Many aftermarket dealers sell their parts on ebay. I got my 3'Dp there, and its very nicely made. I got my turbo there too of ebay - Slowboyracing sold it on ebay cheaper than on there site. FMIC from street imports off ebay. I got my parts from Dejon Tool - custom piping Ebay - ported 02, dp, Safc2, greddy tt, FMIC, turbo, 1g bov, and all gauges. RRE for ,misc. parts.

'scuse me sir, but 14b is def. worth the money when it costs 30 bux!

Lane Adams

1998 GST Spyder
1995 GSX
1995 TSI AWD

Jarrad_GSTApr-12-04 06:29 PM
Member since Jun 23rd 2002
650 posts,
Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#11325, "RE: 99 gst"
In response to Reply # 6

Well if you find a 14b with no problems then its worth it. Most likely though your not going to find a good condition 14b without any problems and not having shaft play. You'll have to get a rebuild kit and then send it off to a company like Forced Performance to have it balanced and pay for shipping. IMO isnt worth it.

Now days, you can get a small 16g for $200-350 and be done with it. Turbo install isnt one of my favorite things to do either. Takes a day no matter. Freakin Exhaust manifold bolts, DP disconnected, take out fans and o2 housing.

Link to Forced Perf. turbo rebuild cost $345.
http://www.forcedperformance.net/services.aspx

97' GST(4G63)
Evo 16G Eclipse

ModeratoreclipzGSTApr-12-04 08:00 PM
Old School 2GNTer
7335 posts,
#11326, "RE: 99 gst"
In response to Reply # 7

Originally posted by Jarrad_GST
Turbo install isnt one of my favorite things to do either. Takes a day no matter. Freakin Exhaust manifold bolts, DP disconnected, take out fans and o2 housing. Link to Forced Perf. turbo rebuild cost $345. http://www.forcedperformance.net/services.aspx

It took me a full day to do my swap and considering it was my first time and I pretty much did most of the dirty work myself (Todd did lend a hand when needed), I don't think it was TOO bad. After doing it once and knowing whats involved, I think I could do it again in 5-6 hours flat. Maybe less...

Originally posted by Avenger
When I raise the BS flag ... it's a really big fucking flag and I raise it really fucking high too.

"Never whistle while your pissing." ~The illuminatus Trilogy

HybriDSMApr-13-04 03:02 AM
Member since Aug 07th 2002
2407 posts,
#11327, "RE: 99 gst"
In response to Reply # 8

Oh and I run a test pipe too. The nice thing is that it is a slip fit pipe so I have no bolts holing the DP, Test, and Cat Back sections together so it takes only a small amount of time to get it off.

Ricardo? Any other Q's after hearing everyone's input?

From what I gather, this will be more daily sriver than speed freak (although we all know what that really means) so a smaller turbo might be better, and if you search hard a really cheap 14b isn't that hard to come by. 16g would be good too, and I don;t know a whole heck of alot about the t-28 stuff since I never had to worry about replacing the t-25.

We are here to help and hopefully I'll have internet at the new apartment soon so Jeff and I can post for more than ten minutes a day.

It's running again shitheads.

http://www.dsmregistry.com/detail.php?carid=791

HybriDSM@gmail.com ; HybriDSM@hotmail.com

Think for yourself. Question authority does not always mean disagree with authority.

If life were perfect, I'd be Calvin and you'd be Hobbes.

BMPDirkApr-13-04 04:38 AM
Member since Jul 24th 2002
1288 posts,
#11328, "RE: 99 gst"
In response to Reply # 9

Thanks for all your input guys.

Matt- Yeah, what everyone says has got me thinking.

I found a 14b on dsmtuners for 140 shipped. It came off a 91 talon with 66k miles on the 14b. The guy says it has NO SHAFT play and the turbo housing is PERFECT he says. What do you guys think? Im kinda worried about buying a used turbo, especially one thats 13 years old. This will be my daily driver, and honestly i will never take it to the track. I never took my rs to the track even when it was an all motor beast(lol, you get my point) The GST feels really good now, ive very happy with the power, but it just sucks how it kinda dies at 5500.

Ive read in several places that the t28 pulls all the way to redline, and has very similar flow characteristics to the 16g.(520cfm) From what i have gathered, it is more efficient than a 14b from boost levels between 14-18psi, which is perfect.

I think jarrad said the t28 would not be good for fwd...why is that? would it spool any faster than the t25? i dont ever launch my car in first so that wouldnt be an issue....discuss.

Top 4G63 Technical 4G63 Tech topic #11318 1 | 2 | Previous topic | Next topic