Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 1 User in Chat
Top 4G63 Technical 4G63 Tech topic #9139
View in linear mode

Subject: "4g63 Crankwalk Symptoms" Previous topic | Next topic
RST95eclipseJan-12-05 04:20 PM
Member since Oct 19th 2004
403 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#9139, "4g63 Crankwalk Symptoms"

I've been doing all kinds of searches on this site trying to find everything on crankwalk on a 4g63. I'm looking into getting a GSX or TSI AWD. Any information on crankwalk is always welcome, however I would appreciate if some of you guys could post what symptoms a car would have if it were or were about to experience crankwalk. What should I look for when driving it or when the engine's cool? Can I tell if a car has it by going up to the crank pulley and wiggling it? Thanks.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: 4g63 Crankwalk Symptoms, ModeratoreclipzGST, Jan-12-05 04:44 PM, #1
RE: 4g63 Crankwalk Symptoms, RST95eclipse, Jan-12-05 06:13 PM, #2
      RE: 4g63 Crankwalk Symptoms, ModeratoreclipzGST, Jan-12-05 07:14 PM, #3
           RE: 4g63 Crankwalk Symptoms, HybriDSM, Jan-13-05 02:54 AM, #4
                RE: 4g63 Crankwalk Symptoms, Hult250R, Jan-15-05 06:56 AM, #5
                     RE: 4g63 Crankwalk Symptoms, AdministratorStar Turbo Talon, Jan-15-05 08:00 AM, #6
                          RE: 4g63 Crankwalk Symptoms, HybriDSM, Jan-15-05 09:08 AM, #7
                               RE: 4g63 Crankwalk Symptoms, RST95eclipse, Jan-15-05 11:20 AM, #8
                                    RE: 4g63 Crankwalk Symptoms, HybriDSM, Jan-15-05 11:35 AM, #9

ModeratoreclipzGSTJan-12-05 04:44 PM
Old School 2GNTer
7335 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#9140, "RE: 4g63 Crankwalk Symptoms"
In response to Reply # 0
Jan-12-05 04:44 PM by eclipzGST

Are you sure you searched?

http://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=17&topic_id=10776&mesg_id=10776&listing_type=search
http://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=17&topic_id=8690&mesg_id=8690&listing_type=search
http://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=17&topic_id=8652&mesg_id=8652&listing_type=search
http://www.angelfire.com/pa4/awdcrankwalk/

there's alot more where those came from.

Originally posted by Avenger
When I raise the BS flag ... it's a really big fucking flag and I raise it really fucking high too.

"Never whistle while your pissing." ~The illuminatus Trilogy

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

RST95eclipseJan-12-05 06:13 PM
403 posts,
#9141, "RE: 4g63 Crankwalk Symptoms"
In response to Reply # 1

I've searched "4g63 crankwalk" and have read for hours upon hours not getting a fraction of the info that I just read. Thanks a ton. More links are would be awesome.

I know this is the wrong section to ask this in, but how much would a 6-bolt bottom end cost now-a-days? Know of any distributors or people on this site?

ModeratoreclipzGSTJan-12-05 07:14 PM
Old School 2GNTer
7335 posts,
#9142, "RE: 4g63 Crankwalk Symptoms"
In response to Reply # 2

Originally posted by RST95eclipse
I've searched "4g63 crankwalk" and have read for hours upon hours not getting a fraction of the info that I just read.

Yeah, I just searched for "crankwalk" for this forum only and got 105 hits. I just went through a few of them on the first page of links and got those that I posted above.

Thanks a ton.

Thats what I'm here for.

I know this is the wrong section to ask this in, but how much would a 6-bolt bottom end cost now-a-days? Know of any distributors or people on this site?

This IS the right section BUT, the majority of the people on this site are NT. You may want to try www.dsmtrader.com. I'm sure you'll find something...
Good luck.

Originally posted by Avenger
When I raise the BS flag ... it's a really big fucking flag and I raise it really fucking high too.

"Never whistle while your pissing." ~The illuminatus Trilogy

HybriDSMJan-13-05 02:54 AM
Member since Aug 07th 2002
2407 posts,
#9143, "RE: 4g63 Crankwalk Symptoms"
In response to Reply # 3
Jan-13-05 02:55 AM by HybriDSM

For right around $1200, you can get a low mileage 4G63 engine from an importer.

As far as bottom ends, dsmtrader, like Tony said is probably your best bet for pricing and availability.

Also, go to dsmtuners.com and search for 'crankwalk' and you'll get more info than you'll know what to do with (just use the one word, it will get you more results). vfaq.com is also the most valuable resource you'll find for the 4g platform.

Crankwalk is one of the most heavily discussed topics in the DSM world. You can find info on it on almost any board by searching for anything from 'cats to 'non-binding stapler springs'. It's that prevalent.

It's running again shitheads.

http://www.dsmregistry.com/detail.php?carid=791

HybriDSM@gmail.com ; HybriDSM@hotmail.com

Think for yourself. Question authority does not always mean disagree with authority.

If life were perfect, I'd be Calvin and you'd be Hobbes.

Hult250RJan-15-05 06:56 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2017 posts,
#9144, "RE: 4g63 Crankwalk Symptoms"
In response to Reply # 4

Originally posted by HybriDSM
You can find info on it on almost any board by searching for anything from 'cats to 'non-binding stapler springs'. It's that prevalent.

LOL... Matt wtf it a "non-binding stapler spring"??

----------------------------------------

I used to have a 420A...

'92 TSi AWD

11.8 @ 119mph
470awhp 405 ft/lb torque
30psi on E85 w/ Borg Warner S256 Turbo

My DSM Registry: http://www.dsmregistry.com/166

AdministratorStar Turbo TalonJan-15-05 08:00 AM
Member since Oct 21st 2003
8331 posts,
#9145, "RE: 4g63 Crankwalk Symptoms"
In response to Reply # 5

One of the Early signs I know of is to step on the clutch and listen for a slight ticking by the crank pulley. Now depending on the engine as far as noises go this may not work for all. Some of the Chicago guys have notices the crank sensor making noise just as the crank begins to move. If the engien has lifter tick you are screwwed and probably not going to hear a thing. You can have someone step on the clutch as you watch the crank but if you can see it then its not early..lol

I would say do an oil change and cut open the oil filter.....look for metal.

I agree with above this is probably the hardest topic to search for a needle in a haystack. Honestly its been argued here and i have discussed it with many other people.....Crankwalk is not as common as many believe, it does happen way to much but its not going to happen to every car.

Some people believe that if you dont have it by 90,xxx then you are safe...i dont know?

Terry

HybriDSMJan-15-05 09:08 AM
2407 posts,
#9146, "RE: 4g63 Crankwalk Symptoms"
In response to Reply # 6

Originally posted by Star Turbo Talon
Some people believe that if you dont have it by 90,xxx then you are safe...i dont know?

This is a common old wives tale. All crankwalk is is bearing failure. It can happen at any time to any car. There is no basement or ceiling in terms of mileage for it so basically, there is no 'when' that it won't happen any more.

If your clutch sticks to the floor when you turn left, that's CW.

Basically to find out if the car might get crankwalk, you have to drive it until it crankwalks. If it never does, great. It might, but worrying over it incessantly is pointless. It's a small percentage that it happens to, so deal with it if and when it happens.

The only failsafe way is to get a feeler gauge and measure crank movement when depressing the clutch. There is a tolerance for acceptable movement, and you can find all of that info on vfaq.com.

Think for yourself. Question authority does not always mean disagree with authority.

RST95eclipseJan-15-05 11:20 AM
403 posts,
#9147, "RE: 4g63 Crankwalk Symptoms"
In response to Reply # 7

I know this is a newb question, but what if a person were to swap in new bearings at 85,XXX? If it's bearing failure, wouldn't this fix the problem then?

HybriDSMJan-15-05 11:35 AM
2407 posts,
#9148, "RE: 4g63 Crankwalk Symptoms"
In response to Reply # 8

CW is bearing failure due to a design flaw from the factory. Generally, replcing the faulty parts still leaves the possibility of CW, but again, it's an overblown occurence. It will certainly be of great help, but it's not a sure fire guarantee.

Don't get too worried about it. Just take the precautions available to you and if for some reason it happens, be prepared for it ($ for bottom end rebuild).

Top 4G63 Technical 4G63 Tech topic #9139 Previous topic | Next topic