Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 4 Users in Chat
Top 4G63 Technical 4G63 Tech topic #404
View in linear mode

Subject: "Questions on 1g/2g swaps & parts swaps" Previous topic | Next topic
EclipsedOutApr-21-06 03:03 PM
Member since Mar 29th 2006
81 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#404, "Questions on 1g/2g swaps & parts swaps"

I searched and found some info but not all I was looking for.

I bought a 95 GSX it came with the stock motor and trans out of the car. It was just rebuilt, stock rebuild. I looked at the car a couple years ago and I think it had crankwalk issues. I'm not sure yet if I want to leave the car off the road and do all the work first or put the stock motor and trans in and drive it while I figure out what I want to do.
I would like to build the motor up but was worried about building the stock (possible past crankwalked) motor. so I bought 1st gen. parts(blocks & heads)because I heard they were better motors and do not have crankwalk problems. After doing some searching and talking with people I find out that the swap is not just a swap. You have to modify the motor mount and rewire the cam senser, not that big of a deal but,
will my 2g trans work with the 1g motor??
What else should I know??

I also heard that a 1g head is better than a 2g head and will work on a 2g shortblock.
Is this true??
Will it bolt right on??
I heard the 1g head in missing a oil hole that would need to be drilled before it would work on a 2g.
I also heard it would work the way it is.

I have a 1g JDM block and head, plus 1 1g shortblock with a GSX flywheel on it but has broken rod that poked a hole in the block, also 2 complete 1g heads.
I was thinking about selling one of the heads.
What should a complete 1g head sell for?? Its complete with cam gears.

Thanks for any info and help. I have more questions but my head is spinning right now with this car plus I'm in the process of rebuilding my 420 motor for my RS. I hate not to go all out while I have it apart but yet I would rather save the money for better parts for the 4G63.

95 GSX
95 RS
96 GS (parts car)

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

destruckeclipseApr-22-06 01:42 PM
Member since Apr 26th 2004
576 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#405, "RE: Questions on 1g/2g swaps & parts swaps"
In response to Reply # 0
Apr-22-06 01:42 PM by destruckeclipse

http://www.magnusmotorsports.com/article_1g2g.htm
http://www.dsmtuner.com/forums/showthread.php?t=152329
http://www.roadraceengineering.com/2g6boltmotorinstall.htm
http://dsmtuners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=86105&highlight=2nd+gen+head+1st+block

Start reading. I am going to use all these and cross refrence off them for my swap. I plan on just going with the 2g head ont he 1g block, saves some time and trouble, but no crank walk issues. I think it's best to build it first then drop it in.

Hope that helps.

'95 GSX - Big16G ~ Leaks, but atleast it runs.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

97eclipse97Apr-23-06 04:11 AM
Member since Jul 29th 2003
695 posts,
#406, "RE: Questions on 1g/2g swaps & parts swaps"
In response to Reply # 1

I have not done the 6-bolt swap (it is a 6-bolt, right?), but VFAQ does a very good job of running through everything. It sounds like you need to spend a lot more time researching so you know what to expect and have an idea of what you are doing. It is highly adviseable to NOT build up 7-bolt blocks, as there is no point in taking the chance of getting crank-walk. You can use (and should use) your 2g tranny. You actually can't use a 1g tranny, since the 2g has a motor mount right on it, where as the 1g does not, iirc. As far as the head goes, 1g is 'better' in that it flows more air, stock for stock. The intake ports are much larger on a 1g. If you did not already, you should get a 1g intake manifold, throttlebody, water lines, thermostat housing, black top (93-94) CAS (and so you can get rid of your stock cam and crank angle sensors), etc. As far as bolting the head on, you can put a 2g head on a 1g block, or even a 1g head on a 2g block (as I have done). As far as the oil/coolant lines, if you will be running a Mitsu turbo (14b, 16g, 20g), then just get the stock lines from a '94 GSX. I feed my oil from the oil filter housing using a stainless steel line. The selling price of a head depends entirely on the condition of it. Has it been rebuilt, if so how long ago? Are any of the valves bent. How is the deck? Etc. I would say an average complete stock head should get between $75-150 depending on the condition. Hope this helps, and like I said, research till your eyes bleed!

'95 GSX - New motor/turbo going in...
'95 TSi AWD - For sale...buy me!
'03.5 MazdaSpeed Protege - Stock daily driver
'97 CBR 600 - Purple is a real man's color

Top 4G63 Technical 4G63 Tech topic #404 Previous topic | Next topic