Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top Team 2GNT Community The Pits v3.1 topic #48096
View in linear mode

Subject: "Thinking about buying 1996 Eagle Talon Esi Non-turbo Advice?" Previous topic | Next topic
NeewbiedudeMar-30-12 10:10 PM
Member since Mar 30th 2012
3 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#48096, "Thinking about buying 1996 Eagle Talon Esi Non-turbo Advice?"

Hi, I'm thinking about buying a 96 Eagle talon non turbo Esi. It has 129,050 miles. The guy said that the timing belt and water pump were replaced at 100k. Only thing he says is wrong with it is that where the transmission and axle meet there is a small leak. Also it needs a paint job. He wants 1250 for it. Are these reliable cars? And would it be a wise perchase on my part? Anything I should look for/ ask before buying? Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks and sorry if I posted in the wrong spot.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

DstachMar-31-12 11:11 AM
Member since Dec 04th 2010
276 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#48097, "RE: Thinking about buying 1996 Eagle Talon Esi Non-turbo Advice?"
In response to Reply # 0

I knew one thread would be locked haha. These can be very reliable cars is they are maintained and not super modified. Where the axle meets the trans might not be leaking there. Push down on the valve cover, if the gasket compresses then the valve cover gasket is leaking in the back and running down to there. Mine did that. I opened a lock washer and put it on the bottom of the bolts because they were bottoming out. Fixed my problem of 2 leaks. As long as you like the look of the 96 talon it would be a wise choose. I prefer 2gb eclipses but its just looks. A 99 is my first car. Easy to work on. Alot of help can be found here. Stick or auto?

-----
99 Eclipse gs (Daily)
89 Honda Crx (Drag car project)

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Babbz413Mar-31-12 12:34 PM
Member since Mar 18th 2009
260 posts,
#48098, "RE: Thinking about buying 1996 Eagle Talon Esi Non-turbo Advice?"
In response to Reply # 1

Ask them about headgasket, if its been replaced recently. These high mileage 420a are infamous for headgasket issues. Also, check the strut towers for rust. Another infamous component of 2g eclipse/talon. This is a definitive problem and hazard. Not sure what your plans would be with car, but I personally wouldn't dump much money into a car with bad towers and unless you plan to drive it til its scrap time, this will greatly affect resale value. If their bad, they will only get worse.

95 GS Boosted

NeewbiedudeMar-31-12 09:59 PM
Member since Mar 30th 2012
3 posts,
#48099, "RE: Thinking about buying 1996 Eagle Talon Esi Non-turbo Advice?"
In response to Reply # 2

Thanks for the input. I found out that it was having transmission trouble(wouldn't stay in fifth gear) so I'm not going to mess with it.

Top Team 2GNT Community The Pits v3.1 topic #48096 Previous topic | Next topic