Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top Team 2GNT Community The Pits v3.1 topic #47861
View in linear mode

Subject: "Buying a toolset" Previous topic | Next topic
burntheblobsDec-29-11 05:20 PM
Donating 2GNT member
1445 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#47861, "Buying a toolset"

Since my family has destroyed/lost a lot of my hand tools over the years, I've decided I'm starting fresh. I'm keeping my torque wrench, and a few other goodies, but for the most part, I'm donating most of my tools. I'm wondering if you guys have any advice on buying a toolset. I'm only 23 and will be most likely apartment hopping for the next decade of my life, so size does matter. You also won't see me doing major repairs either because of the apartment situation. I am looking at craftsmen because of the quality and warranty, but I just don't know how to balance getting what I need vs overspending on too much.

Basically, I want something that is complete enough that I don't have to run to the parts store and buy loose singles and repeat the process I had again, but also don't want to have a 500 piece toolset in a 500 sq ft apartment when I'm just changing alternators/slave cylinders.

Any suggestions?

1991 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX - SOLD
2006 Mustang GT Convertible

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: Buying a toolset, Moderatorteklein, Dec-29-11 05:23 PM, #1
RE: Buying a toolset, SilvrEclips, Dec-29-11 10:16 PM, #2
      RE: Buying a toolset, Moderatorxcasbonx, Dec-30-11 07:41 AM, #3
           RE: Buying a toolset, Moderatorbullettdsm, Dec-30-11 01:19 PM, #4
                RE: Buying a toolset, John99RS, Dec-30-11 03:31 PM, #5
                     RE: Buying a toolset, 95_ESi_Person, Dec-30-11 04:09 PM, #6
                          RE: Buying a toolset, burntheblobs, Dec-30-11 06:40 PM, #7
                               RE: Buying a toolset, John99RS, Dec-31-11 06:55 PM, #8

ModeratortekleinDec-29-11 05:23 PM
Member since Nov 04th 2007
1699 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list facebook
#47862, "RE: Buying a toolset"
In response to Reply # 0

Check out the Craftsman 175+ kits. Alot of times they put them on sale. Id definitely also buy a extension set, 3/8 to 1/2 adapter, and fill in the MM gap from 10 to 21mm.

I bought three of them on sale around this time a couple years ago.

Cant beat the no questions asked warranty either.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

SilvrEclipsDec-29-11 10:16 PM
Member since Nov 27th 2007
534 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#47863, "RE: Buying a toolset"
In response to Reply # 1

fyi Kobalt also has a lifetime warranty on their tools as well. I usually find them a little but cheaper than craftman tools and never had an issue with them.

98 Eclipse GS Turbo
Built motor - MS2 - Holset hy35 - Zoom Stg 4 Clutch - 57.5mm TB - ARP Headstuds - Turbonetics wastegate - 3" Turbo back - FMIC - Greddy RZ BOV - Walbro 255 - 650cc Injectors - Fidanza Flywheel - Cobra calipers w/ 13" Rotors - Oil Cooler - DevilsOwn meth injection

1981 Chevy Scottsdale
1987 Nissan 300zx - Chump Car
2001 BMW 325i

ModeratorxcasbonxDec-30-11 07:41 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2874 posts,
#47864, "RE: Buying a toolset"
In response to Reply # 2

Tim beat me to it, but I was going to mention a Craftsman set as well. I've had mine for over 7 years now and still pleased with it.

I contributed to the Wiki.

ModeratorbullettdsmDec-30-11 01:19 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2676 posts,
#47865, "RE: Buying a toolset"
In response to Reply # 3

Snap-On for professional and Craftsman for the "not-so-everyday" user. As Tim said watch for the Sears kits sales.

I'm partial to the Snap-On torque wrench though.

What is going to be your "usual" work? Do enough pulley's to get a Chrysler Puller? Enough work to get torches? etc.

Captain Caveman

96 RS Turbo 11.414 @ 119.62 MSNS, Crower 2 NA cams, BW366, 10.5 comp, UDP, 60mm TB, W/A intercooler, 3.55 tranny 567.9whp 430tq
97 RS NA 13.188 @ 103.87 MSnS powered 12.5 comp, Crower 3's and 219.4whp with 175tq
98 RS DD 12.5 comp on stock ECU, LTH, Crower 2's, Koni, GC, Hypercoil, DG hats
99 OZ 5sp Stocker 15.856 @ 85.97
99 GS stocker auto 17.7@77mph!

wiki home page:http://www.2gnt.com/index.php?d=bullettdsm

John99RSDec-30-11 03:31 PM
Donating 2GNT member
1191 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list facebook
#47866, "RE: Buying a toolset"
In response to Reply # 4

I'll second Craftsman....had all my stuff for about 10 years. Snap-On would be the best, but I don't have that kind of dough to spend on tools. I'm starting to like some Kobalt stuff and like mentioned above, they have the warranty also.

Sears always runs sales on the tool sets. Also, you get great deals if you join the Craftsman Club....it's free. Sign up for email allerts and they send you good coupons.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3130861

95_ESi_PersonDec-30-11 04:09 PM
Member since Sep 16th 2002
3260 posts,
#47867, "RE: Buying a toolset"
In response to Reply # 5

If I remember correctly, Husky, and ACE Hardware also provide lifetime warranties on their hand tools (hoping to hit Home Depot tomorrow to verify on Husky, and use up a gift card). I can confirm on ACE, they replaced the same Torx bit 5 times for me (Grand Am from hell).

I can not speak for a whole set since my tool collection was purpose purchases in set "sections"(I will not buy a set since I despise 12pt sockets, only a handful on hand).

burntheblobsDec-30-11 06:40 PM
Donating 2GNT member
1445 posts,
#47870, "RE: Buying a toolset"
In response to Reply # 6

Thanks for the responses guys. I ended up going with a 154 piece craftsman set, since they are heavy on the sockets.

http://www.sears.com/craftsman-154-pc-mechanics-tool-set/p-00935154000P

That is added to my 1/2 inch breaker bar, adapters, crescent wrench, torque wrench, needle-nose pliers, and vice grip.

Should be good to go since, like I said, I'm doing apartment living for the next decade of my life, most likely. Pretty much limits me to over engine bay work (no jacking the car up).

1991 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX - SOLD
2006 Mustang GT Convertible

John99RSDec-31-11 06:55 PM
Donating 2GNT member
1191 posts,
#47871, "RE: Buying a toolset"
In response to Reply # 7

That's a nice set. I got the same one and then started adding more and more to it.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3130861

Top Team 2GNT Community The Pits v3.1 topic #47861 Previous topic | Next topic