Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top Team 2GNT Community The Pits v3.1 topic #47236
View in linear mode

Subject: "While you were at the shootout, I bought an AWD turbo mitsu" Previous topic | Next topic
ModeratorVX100Aug-22-11 09:54 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2831 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#47236, "While you were at the shootout, I bought an AWD turbo mitsu"

but...

it's not a GSX

and it's not an EVO

nope, not a Galant VR4

and no, not a 3000GT VR4

It was this:

A 2011 Lancer Ralliart, black. The price was very good, quite a deal. Now all 3 of our cars are mitsubishis (Eclipse, Outlander Sport, Lancer Ralliart)

It's not like me to do something impractical like get rid of a perfectly good 2 year old car for a faster/better handling/more expensive one, but something came over me and I just wanted to have a more fun daily driver and be just a LITTLE irresponsible. I was happy with my 09 Ford Fusion. I was a very good car and honestly I'll miss it, but this car is in a whole other league. (Actually, the Ralliart isn't really impractical or irresponsible: cheaper, better to live with, and less to insure than an EVO)

I just picked it up, so no crazy driving for a while, until it is broken in. I did of course give it some throttle, took one long ramp a little fast keeping it at lower rpms, and test out the shifting. It pulls well, good mid range. Handles very well, very much connected to the road without beating you up. I thought the Fusion handled well (I still think it does, for what it is a mid sized family sedan) but this of course puts it to shame. Actually, I think the car is too quiet! It should be louder, it's too hard to hear the engine!

The main thing that is different is that transmission. This car would be heaven with a regular manual, but the dual clutch setups is all it has, so it will take some getting used to. It's like nothing I have driven before.

It is weird because you are driving along witout a clutch pedal, assuming it will behave like an auto at low speed and it doesn't. It behaves like a manual in that you have to be easy on the throttle at low speed in low gear or it will buck; you can't move your foot on and off the throttle rapidly like with an auto and have nothing happen.

Even in drive and "normal" mode, it holds gears a bit long; it actually behaves like I do when driving In sport mode it hates, and I mean HATES upshifting. It will really hold the gear you are in. When it's in manual mode, the paddles are good if you need to keep your hands on the wheels in tough situations. If you use the shifter like I was trying, you'll move it in the wrong direction every now and then because you instinctively shift like a regular manual and it's sequential instead. I put it in 1st instead of 3rd a couple of times (no over-revving, so it is breaking in just fine)

I'll get pics of it soon. Very nice looking car in black, agressive, but not overstated. Sooner rather than later I'll need some all season or winter tires, it comes with summer tires, and from what I read not very good ones either, but good enough for the daily drive until they wear out.

"Tutto fa brodo."

Todd Scungio
98 RS
15.173 @ 90.70 MPH

And also a 2011 Ralliart

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: While you were at the shootout, I bought an AWD turbo mitsu, burntheblobs, Aug-22-11 11:09 PM, #1
RE: While you were at the shootout, I bought an AWD turbo mitsu, Moderatorxcasbonx, Aug-23-11 05:30 AM, #2
      RE: While you were at the shootout, I bought an AWD turbo mitsu, TeamDR1665, Aug-23-11 10:48 AM, #3
           RE: While you were at the shootout, I bought an AWD turbo mitsu, Moderatorbullettdsm, Aug-23-11 11:39 AM, #4
                RE: While you were at the shootout, I bought an AWD turbo mitsu, ModeratorVX100, Aug-23-11 06:45 PM, #5
                RE: While you were at the shootout, I bought an AWD turbo mitsu, John99RS, Aug-23-11 06:56 PM, #6
                     RE: While you were at the shootout, I bought an AWD turbo mitsu, Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOne, Aug-23-11 08:40 PM, #7
                          RE: While you were at the shootout, I bought an AWD turbo mitsu, Moderatorcs82685, Aug-24-11 05:17 AM, #8
                               RE: While you were at the shootout, I bought an AWD turbo mitsu, ModeratorVX100, Aug-24-11 11:32 PM, #9
                RE: While you were at the shootout, I bought an AWD turbo mitsu, RoninEclipse2G, Aug-26-11 04:19 PM, #10
                     RE: While you were at the shootout, I bought an AWD turbo mitsu, TeamDR1665, Aug-26-11 07:33 PM, #11
                     RE: While you were at the shootout, I bought an AWD turbo mitsu, dalesmitsu, Aug-28-11 11:08 PM, #12

burntheblobsAug-22-11 11:09 PM
Donating 2GNT member
1445 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#47237, "RE: While you were at the shootout, I bought an AWD turbo mitsu"
In response to Reply # 0

Sounds like a blast. Congrats man =P

1991 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX - SOLD
2006 Mustang GT Convertible

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

ModeratorxcasbonxAug-23-11 05:30 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2874 posts,
#47239, "RE: While you were at the shootout, I bought an AWD turbo mitsu"
In response to Reply # 1

Nice Todd. Enjoy!

I contributed to the Wiki.

TeamDR1665Aug-23-11 10:48 AM
Donating 2GNT member
14692 posts,
#47247, "RE: While you were at the shootout, I bought an AWD turbo mitsu"
In response to Reply # 2

Sweet. Looks good, Todd.

ModeratorbullettdsmAug-23-11 11:39 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2676 posts,
#47249, "RE: While you were at the shootout, I bought an AWD turbo mitsu"
In response to Reply # 3

Soooooooo, you went to the dark side did you??

Captain Caveman

96 RS Turbo 11.414 @ 119.62 MSNS, Crower 2 NA cams, BW366, 10.5 comp, UDP, 60mm TB, W/A intercooler, 3.55 tranny 567.9whp 430tq
97 RS NA 13.188 @ 103.87 MSnS powered 12.5 comp, Crower 3's and 219.4whp with 175tq
98 RS DD 12.5 comp on stock ECU, LTH, Crower 2's, Koni, GC, Hypercoil, DG hats
99 OZ 5sp Stocker 15.856 @ 85.97
99 GS stocker auto 17.7@77mph!

wiki home page:http://www.2gnt.com/index.php?d=bullettdsm

ModeratorVX100Aug-23-11 06:45 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2831 posts,
#47253, "RE: While you were at the shootout, I bought an AWD turbo mitsu"
In response to Reply # 4

It was too good of an offer to say no

Anyway, it's not like my Eclipse is going anywhere Mark, so I guess I'm only halfway there.

"Tutto fa brodo."

Todd Scungio
98 RS
15.173 @ 90.70 MPH

And also a 2011 Ralliart

John99RSAug-23-11 06:56 PM
Donating 2GNT member
1191 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list facebook
#47254, "RE: While you were at the shootout, I bought an AWD turbo mitsu"
In response to Reply # 5

Nice buy man! That's exactly what I'm hoping to get Spring of next year after my daughter gets my Eclipse for graduation.

So, you're happy with the transmission?

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3130861

Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOneAug-23-11 08:40 PM
Donating 2GNT member
14938 posts,
#47257, "RE: While you were at the shootout, I bought an AWD turbo mitsu"
In response to Reply # 6

Sounds a lot like the Volkswagen DSG in my wife's Jetta. Hate that thing.

'95 Eclipse TurboGS (garage deco)
'95 TSi AWD (restoring a survivor)
'97 Talon ESi-T (poor impulse control)
'99 Eclipse RS-T (daily beater)
'13 Evo X (mostly stock)
'17 Sienna (Middle Aged Dad Mobile)

Factory Service Manuals: http://nawdu.de/files/

Moderatorcs82685Aug-24-11 05:17 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2007 posts,
#47259, "RE: While you were at the shootout, I bought an AWD turbo mitsu"
In response to Reply # 7

Congrats, I've heard some things that would make me a little wary about the trans, but that's also because I'd like a DD I was comfortable tracking every so often. Such an expensive part to fail would worry me. But for strictly a DD, great car (although underpowered when compared to subarus power bump in the wrx).

Good luck with it and enjoy some of those evo9 parts that it comes with

I contributed to the Wiki!
EVO IX - just a really expensive boost gauge and a K&N air filter
96 Eclipse RS -awaiting registration and inspection
95 Eclipse GS - parts car
Mods/Profile - http://www.2gnt.com/index.php?d=cs82685

ModeratorVX100Aug-24-11 11:32 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2831 posts,
#47261, "RE: While you were at the shootout, I bought an AWD turbo mitsu"
In response to Reply # 8

The transmission, I'd say I do like it. Now don't get me wrong, if it had a regular manual tranny, this car would be PERFECT, but this transmision is much better than an automatic and light years better than a CVT. It's fun to use and drive, but I still like shifting myself better.

I'd naturally prefer it with a regualr manual, but it's all that it comes with and I decided to take a chance with it. The transmission was the only thing giving me some pause in deciding to buy it. The only other transmission I would even consider getting in a car besides a regular manual would be a dual clutch setup, and fortunately this one seems to be one of the best. At least you do get the option to be lazy and let the computer do the work for you, or you can spend all day shifting yourself, your left foot just doesn't get a workout in the process.

I would say this, if you have never driven a manual and hopped in the car, you wouldn't like how it shifts because it shifts and behaves like a manual; it's not going to soak up sloppiness with the throttle. My opinon is you need to know how to drive a manual and how a manual feels to appreciate how this transmission behaves and what is going on with it.

Dino, from what I read reviewers really like this particular dual clutch (in the Ralliart and EVO), so I think it might behave better than the VW DSG, but I can't say for myself. In sport mode it is very, very agressive, like the tranny fluid is red bull mixed with 5 hour energy. It is one expensive part but there are already 500hp to 600hp clutch packs for it out there for it, but for a DD I think it will hold up just fine.

It's down on power by almost 30HP compared to the subaru, but for a DD it's not an issue. It's got enough power it will run a 14.2 1/4 mile stock and that's plenty. And of course just a few mods will fix that anyway Actually compared to the WRX it has a little more torque, and at a lower RPM and a broader range. Also, I'm not much of a scooby fan, I like Mitsu (go figure) and the WRX doesn't look anywhere near as good to my eyes. It's certainly an excellent car and I appreciate it, just not my preference.

"Tutto fa brodo."

Todd Scungio
98 RS
15.173 @ 90.70 MPH

And also a 2011 Ralliart

RoninEclipse2GAug-26-11 04:19 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2745 posts,
#47273, "RE: While you were at the shootout, I bought an AWD turbo mitsu"
In response to Reply # 4

Originally posted by bullettdsm

it's not like there's a 4g63 under the hood.

Erik P.
Official 2GNT thread Hijacker
Some say that he's driven over more Covenant than he's shot, and that his grenades aren't where you'd expect them to be...
All we know is, He's not The Stig... But he is The Stig's Spartan cousin!

TeamDR1665Aug-26-11 07:33 PM
Donating 2GNT member
14692 posts,
#47274, "RE: While you were at the shootout, I bought an AWD turbo mitsu"
In response to Reply # 10

Originally posted by RoninEclipse2G

Originally posted by bullettdsm

it's not like there's a 4g63 under the hood.

Yeah, the 4B11 has more in common with the 420A, anyway. Ain't that right, Dino?

dalesmitsuAug-28-11 11:08 PM
Member since May 13th 2006
986 posts,
#47287, "RE: While you were at the shootout, I bought an AWD turbo mitsu"
In response to Reply # 10

I like the color, just might repaint my 2g this.

You might wanna look into replacing the plastic pieces that'll break eventually. I've heard about it from another forum.

__
1995 gs Saved from the crusher
1998 RS gone to(Dsm Heaven)
1997 gs gone to Dsm heaven

Top Team 2GNT Community The Pits v3.1 topic #47236 Previous topic | Next topic