Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top Team 2GNT Community The Pits v3.1 topic #47355
View in linear mode

Subject: "A Salesman" Previous topic | Next topic
FotowntalonSep-06-11 04:06 PM
Member since Aug 09th 2009
350 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#47355, "A Salesman"

Sooo, I am now officially training in the Sales department at Callies Performance products, so I suggest we all do 2.2L builds, when you call sales ask for me so you can buy your cranks from a 2GNTer!

97 Talon ESi 14.943@91.35MPH N/A!
"If you need someone to provide an itemized build of materials and a flowchart to walk you through every build-related question you will need to answer at each step of the process, you shouldn't be playing with cars. "-Driggs

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: A Salesman, Moderatorteklein, Sep-06-11 04:09 PM, #1
RE: A Salesman, Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOne, Sep-06-11 04:31 PM, #2
RE: A Salesman, Fotowntalon, Sep-06-11 07:51 PM, #3
      RE: A Salesman, 420agreenvilleSC, Sep-07-11 01:40 PM, #4
           RE: A Salesman, dalesmitsu, Sep-07-11 02:37 PM, #5
                RE: A Salesman, VendorRed90Sev, Sep-08-11 06:22 AM, #6
                     RE: A Salesman, Fotowntalon, Sep-08-11 08:22 AM, #7
                          RE: A Salesman, Fotowntalon, Sep-08-11 08:26 AM, #8
                               RE: A Salesman, Slo2g, Sep-08-11 01:08 PM, #9
                                    RE: A Salesman, Fotowntalon, Sep-08-11 09:45 PM, #10
                                    RE: A Salesman, VendorRed90Sev, Sep-09-11 12:24 AM, #11
                                         RE: A Salesman, Fotowntalon, Sep-09-11 08:47 AM, #12
                                              RE: A Salesman, Slo2g, Sep-09-11 09:47 AM, #13
                                                   RE: A Salesman, Fotowntalon, Sep-09-11 04:38 PM, #14
                                                        RE: A Salesman, Slo2g, Sep-09-11 05:47 PM, #15
                                                             RE: A Salesman, Fotowntalon, Sep-09-11 09:42 PM, #16
                                                                  RE: A Salesman, Slo2g, Sep-09-11 10:29 PM, #17
                                                                       RE: A Salesman, Fotowntalon, Sep-09-11 10:39 PM, #18
                                                                            RE: A Salesman, VendorRed90Sev, Sep-10-11 03:21 AM, #19
                                                                                 RE: A Salesman, Slo2g, Sep-10-11 04:27 AM, #20
                                                                                      RE: A Salesman, VendorRed90Sev, Sep-10-11 05:05 AM, #21
                                                                                           RE: A Salesman, Fotowntalon, Sep-10-11 09:40 AM, #22
                                                                                                RE: A Salesman, VendorRed90Sev, Sep-11-11 05:16 PM, #23
                                                                                                     RE: A Salesman, Fotowntalon, Sep-12-11 09:43 PM, #24
                                                                                                          RE: A Salesman, Slo2g, Sep-13-11 04:46 PM, #25
                                                                                                               RE: A Salesman, Slo2g, Sep-22-11 09:20 AM, #26
                                                                                                                    RE: A Salesman, Fotowntalon, Sep-22-11 12:02 PM, #27
                                                                                                                         RE: A Salesman, Fotowntalon, Sep-22-11 05:12 PM, #28
                                                                                                                              RE: A Salesman, Fotowntalon, Sep-22-11 09:59 PM, #29
                                                                                                                                   RE: A Salesman, Slo2g, Sep-22-11 10:44 PM, #30
                                                                                                                                        RE: A Salesman, Fotowntalon, Sep-23-11 02:58 PM, #31
                                                                                                                                             RE: A Salesman, Slo2g, Sep-23-11 11:45 PM, #32
                                                                                                                                             RE: A Salesman, Fotowntalon, Sep-24-11 03:00 PM, #33
                                                                                                                                             RE: A Salesman, Fotowntalon, Sep-29-11 12:22 PM, #34
                                                                                                                                             RE: A Salesman, Moderatorteklein, Sep-29-11 02:10 PM, #35
                                                                                                                                             RE: A Salesman, Fotowntalon, Sep-29-11 02:24 PM, #36
                                                                                                                                             RE: A Salesman, Moderatorteklein, Sep-29-11 02:25 PM, #37
                                                                                                                                             RE: A Salesman, Fotowntalon, Sep-29-11 02:30 PM, #38

ModeratortekleinSep-06-11 04:09 PM
Member since Nov 04th 2007
1699 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list facebook
#47356, "RE: A Salesman"
In response to Reply # 0

Originally posted by Fotowntalon
Sooo, I am now officially training in the Sales department at Callies Performance products, so I suggest we all do 2.2L builds, when you call sales ask for me so you can buy your cranks from a 2GNTer!

Joo hook me up on a crank then.

Congratulations!

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOneSep-06-11 04:31 PM
Donating 2GNT member
14938 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#47357, "RE: A Salesman"
In response to Reply # 0

Don't you guys also make CP pistons?

'95 Eclipse TurboGS (garage deco)
'95 TSi AWD (restoring a survivor)
'97 Talon ESi-T (poor impulse control)
'99 Eclipse RS-T (daily beater)
'13 Evo X (mostly stock)
'17 Sienna (Middle Aged Dad Mobile)

Factory Service Manuals: http://nawdu.de/files/

FotowntalonSep-06-11 07:51 PM
350 posts,
#47358, "RE: A Salesman"
In response to Reply # 2

In shop all we make is cranks, connecting rods and cams, although we sell a bunch of pistons from wiseco, JE, SRP, diamond, oliver rods, and other stuff.

"If you need someone to provide an itemized build of materials and a flowchart to walk you through every build-related question you will need to answer at each step of the process, you shouldn't be playing with cars. "-Driggs

420agreenvilleSCSep-07-11 01:40 PM
Donating 2GNT member
1527 posts,
#47361, "RE: A Salesman"
In response to Reply # 3

nicee

http://www.2gnt.com/quote_db.php?id=278

Outside of Corona: "That sucks, peace out..." (jamie walks away)... "Sweeet, what we doin?" -Zac
Tim's garage (prior to motor install): "Im gonna smoke real quick, that way if you fuck up I am already nicotined up" -Tim

dalesmitsuSep-07-11 02:37 PM
Member since May 13th 2006
986 posts,
#47362, "RE: A Salesman"
In response to Reply # 4

congrats,

__
1995 gs Saved from the crusher
1998 RS gone to(Dsm Heaven)
1997 gs gone to Dsm heaven

VendorRed90SevSep-08-11 06:22 AM
Member since Aug 28th 2010
261 posts,
#47364, "RE: A Salesman"
In response to Reply # 5

How much is a stroker crank? congrats!

FotowntalonSep-08-11 08:22 AM
350 posts,
#47365, "RE: A Salesman"
In response to Reply # 6

I'll have to relook up the price, but I believe its around the 660 range, which I know is a lot, but the cranks Callies makes are insane durable. It will be able to handle any amount of horsepower we can throw at it, and as a former floor worker (well I guess still a floor worker I am only doing 2 hours in sales 8 on floor a day at the moment) I can vouch for are crazy tight tolerances.

FotowntalonSep-08-11 08:26 AM
350 posts,
#47366, "RE: A Salesman"
In response to Reply # 7
Sep-08-11 08:28 AM by Fotowntalon

Actually forgot I took the price book home to memorize and OMG I was right! 660 is the price, if I understand the pricing guide right. Comes with electronic Timing Wheel notches Milled and on average weighs 41lbs.
3.543-Stroke, 2.047-Main, 1.889-Pins

Slo2gSep-08-11 01:08 PM
Member since Feb 10th 2006
1074 posts,
#47368, "RE: A Salesman"
In response to Reply # 8

SOOOOO say someone had a 2.4 and wanted to make a rod that mimicked the Forward Motion long rods for the SRT4(that would be the same for the EDZ swap) and a custom piston to make said rod work in the EDZ. How much would this run(if its possible)? Because I'm short on funds and would LOVE a long rod 2.4 and don't have the 1800 it would cost from forward motion...

FotowntalonSep-08-11 09:45 PM
350 posts,
#47371, "RE: A Salesman"
In response to Reply # 9

Originally posted by Slo2g
SOOOOO say someone had a 2.4 and wanted to make a rod that mimicked the Forward Motion long rods for the SRT4(that would be the same for the EDZ swap) and a custom piston to make said rod work in the EDZ. How much would this run(if its possible)? Because I'm short on funds and would LOVE a long rod 2.4 and don't have the 1800 it would cost from forward motion...

Possible, yes, and for 4 rods, also cheaper than 1800. You would have to get a hold of JE or Wiseco for the custom piston set. I know we do sometimes do custom rods, but a lot comes down to how busy our rod department is with orders along with if we have the tooling necessary (this mainly comes down to the small bore diameter.

VendorRed90SevSep-09-11 12:24 AM
261 posts,
#47372, "RE: A Salesman"
In response to Reply # 9

^^^^^THIS^^^^^ I would be extremely interested. I'm about to do a 2.4 swap and would sell my built 420a shortblock that I have now to come up with funds for this...

FotowntalonSep-09-11 08:47 AM
350 posts,
#47373, "RE: A Salesman"
In response to Reply # 11

For something custom as I said, with the small bore diameter, beyond that I am thinking we may need so many commitments for this (dont quote me on that) Also would need some dimension specifics if you can find them. Let me talk to my manager who come back on Monday and I will give you guys some more information.

Slo2gSep-09-11 09:47 AM
1074 posts,
#47374, "RE: A Salesman"
In response to Reply # 12

http://mrxmotors.com/index_files/srt4_long_rods.htm

http://www.forwardmotioninc.com/html/catalog/page20.html

These are the only 2 places I can find info for you, and its probably not enough info. I can try to email them if you need it.

FotowntalonSep-09-11 04:38 PM
350 posts,
#47381, "RE: A Salesman"
In response to Reply # 13

The srt4 is a 4banger right? So there set of 4 rods for that amount is insane. I hate to speak out of turn, but I know we could produce rods much cheaper that would be able to handle anything the srt4 could through at them. As I said right now its mainly a tooling cost, as well as needing a market to be able to buy I'd say a minimum 126 rods (around 31 sets of 4) granted I am speaking out of turn so don't quote me on this but come Monday I will talk to my sales manager, best thing you guys can do is prove that there is a market for this.

Slo2gSep-09-11 05:47 PM
1074 posts,
#47382, "RE: A Salesman"
In response to Reply # 14

Its actually not a bad price for the Oliver rods, they are just naturally high. Why? Because they are fucking awesome. You never hear of someone having a bad Oliver. So their normal price of $720 is steep but when making a custom rod and only charging less than $200 more isn't bad, thats 50 more a rod(roughly). As far as you making a rod for cheaper I'm sure its possible but would it have the same strength? We know they make eagle rods and people buy them for cheap but the SRT stuff out of the box has been ran to mid 500's reliably, hell even a few at 600whp. So buying a set of eagle rods doesn't really appeal all that much to me seeing as they are only "rated" to 600hp. You'll find most people running Oliver rods are making well over 600whp and into the 1000's. As far as their being a market for that many rods, I doubt it. But hey, we can try right. Maybe someone needs to post this up, once we get a general price per how ever many we need, on neons.org, and srt4 forums and what not, that way we can reach a broader crowd. I'm for one down to try it out and try and get something going.

FotowntalonSep-09-11 09:42 PM
350 posts,
#47385, "RE: A Salesman"
In response to Reply # 15

We also sell Oliver rods, I dont know much about the,, but I can tell you Callies Ultra > Oliver, by what you told me. Our ultra H-Beams (normally sold at 100-125 a rod)are rated up to around 1000whp, and our I-Beams (~150) have handled a couple thousand horses. I was actually warned today about talking about rod ratings, because it is just an approximation. What a rod can handle is based on many things, if the engine is making that NA/Turbo/supercharged/spray, and also how high the engine is revving, along with what type of driving is being done. Actually learned today that the most stress on a rod is done at a hard let up as opposed to a hard acceleration, which was a big shock to me. But the number I threw out there are a good rule of thumb for what our rods can do. (dollar figures I gave were for non custom rods)

Slo2gSep-09-11 10:29 PM
1074 posts,
#47386, "RE: A Salesman"
In response to Reply # 16

Yeah the hardest force a rod sees is on decel, that's why aluminum rods aren't "streetable". I might also be interested in said rods, can you saleto us directly or do we have to go through a vendor?

FotowntalonSep-09-11 10:39 PM
350 posts,
#47387, "RE: A Salesman"
In response to Reply # 17

directly

VendorRed90SevSep-10-11 03:21 AM
261 posts,
#47388, "RE: A Salesman"
In response to Reply # 18

So, this would be something the srt4 guys could use as well.....

Slo2gSep-10-11 04:27 AM
1074 posts,
#47389, "RE: A Salesman"
In response to Reply # 19

Yes

VendorRed90SevSep-10-11 05:05 AM
261 posts,
#47390, "RE: A Salesman"
In response to Reply # 20

Yes

I know a ton of srt people would go crazy for this. But good luck trying to advertise it or sell it on srtforums without paying an insane fee of like $500 per month to become a vendor...... They won't let you mass sell anything without them getting a big chunk of change.....

FotowntalonSep-10-11 09:40 AM
350 posts,
#47391, "RE: A Salesman"
In response to Reply # 21

I'll just put a post in there BST for 1 set, and then everyone who asks about them I will say they aren't sold =P. More seriously I am sure I could get around that, through just people being told to call up to my work or something to that affect, but I will worry more about it once I figure out what all it takes for a custom run like this to be accomplished.

VendorRed90SevSep-11-11 05:16 PM
261 posts,
#47392, "RE: A Salesman"
In response to Reply # 22

Well, if you could make the cut on Srtforums, then you shouldn't have a problem getting enough people. As far as timing, it might be a good idea to have everything lined up to happen for tax return season so you know people would have money......

FotowntalonSep-12-11 09:43 PM
350 posts,
#47395, "RE: A Salesman"
In response to Reply # 23

Talked to my manager he said we need 2 things, 1) measurements, and 2) enough orders. It is however my special little project to pursue to see what can come of it.
For the measurements I need (mainly)
Length: 6.160
Wrist Pin: .866
Housing Bore:
Bearing Diameter:
Housing Width:
There is no set number of orders I need commitment to, but obviously the more commitments I can get the better the chances, and the lower the prices. If you guys can help me with these measurements I can move into the gauging interest on forums to help with commitments. Also these rules on custom orders apply to basically everything (cams/cranks/rods) that you guys may be interested in. We do have the skilled workforce, and machines to make about whatever, and we do really high quality parts, but the main question for us and for you is cost effectiveness.

Slo2gSep-13-11 04:46 PM
1074 posts,
#47396, "RE: A Salesman"
In response to Reply # 24

I'm guessing the bearing diameter would be a stock bearing size for the 2.4 and as far as the others, I'll have to look into the others.

Slo2gSep-22-11 09:20 AM
1074 posts,
#47424, "RE: A Salesman"
In response to Reply # 25

So I know this has kind of fell off but I need a price point to give some people of say an order of 10 sets to throw out there and find some of the other information that you need.

FotowntalonSep-22-11 12:02 PM
350 posts,
#47426, "RE: A Salesman"
In response to Reply # 26

Sadly I can't do a price till I have the dimensions I asked for. Reason being, the dimensions will show if we have the correct tooling (or need to order new tooling) and if we have any rods close to (for programming purposes) all which will effect price depending on how close the dimensions are.

After you can hit me up with those, I'll talk to our engineer and ask roughly what cost he would be looking at for X sets and etc.

FotowntalonSep-22-11 05:12 PM
350 posts,
#47427, "RE: A Salesman"
In response to Reply # 27
Sep-22-11 05:13 PM by Fotowntalon

Tomorrow is Friday, which translates into the slow day for sales. I'm going to do some more research and see what more I can do. But also here are some easier questions that can help me determine what would best suite your guy's needs.

Are you picky on if the rod is all US or would you mind an imported rod?

What kind of WHP would you guys like to be running (avg and highest)?
Our Ultra H beams can handle ~1200, but depending on the numbers and the answer to the first question I may be able to go our compstar route, they hand less whp, but would be much cheaper (if I can do this)

Do you have a link to the (or know which brand) of piston they are using for this set?
If its a JE, Mahle, or Wiseco, I can call up the vendor and see what our costs would be to have the same configurations made and perhaps make it cheaper.

Who all is interested in just Rods vs. Rods + Pistons + Bearings?
The more packaging I can do, the more leeway I have with costs.

Beyond length, would the rest of the measurements be the same for a standard SRT4 rod? Also beyond length, what about measurement differences for a Neon block?
Reason for asking this, if there is a tooling issue I may be able to convince the bigwigs that we can also use the tooling for regular SRT4 rods and Neon rods, opening up a much bigger market.

Some other information I would like to throw out there. There is no way I can foot the bill for vendor at the forums sadly, but if you give me the website I may try to talk to them and see what is up.

I have done more research on Callies Vs Oliver, and seen some Oliver rods, and I can tell you we make a way nicer rod, hell of a lot less tool marks (if any) threads are properly sized to the bolts, among just a few things. I guess a way to think of it (from what I read above) is our Ultra's are competitors to Oliver's, our Compstar line, the competition to Eagles. Our compstars are imported, handle less whp, but we do all the finishing work and balancing in the US and find and discard many defects.

If I had to give a price, My goal (and very rough estimate) would be for $1200-$1450 for 4 Rods (ultra H's) 4 pistons and bearings. Granted this is a jumping off point and the number is very flexible by much of the information I have given (and depending on the cost of pistons).

Lastly (hope I didn't forget anything!) If anyone would like more information on our rods they are welcome to check out our website here --> http://www.callies.com/components/connecting-rods/ Or give me a call at 419-435-2711 and ask for Steve (1-5pm EST). Also if anyone lives close enough to Fostoria (NW Ohio) I would be able to give people a tour of our rod line. Hope this all helps some!

FotowntalonSep-22-11 09:59 PM
350 posts,
#47434, "RE: A Salesman"
In response to Reply # 28
Sep-22-11 10:05 PM by Fotowntalon

was googling around and think i find the housing bore of 2.086
Main Bearing 2.36" (60mm)
Rod Bearing 1.9685(50mm)

Slo2gSep-22-11 10:44 PM
1074 posts,
#47435, "RE: A Salesman"
In response to Reply # 29

First off, excellent post! As far as tooling goes, most people run SRT4 rotating assy and if they buy a rod as an upgrade its a rod made for an srt4 but it also works in the EDZ motor. So I'm guessing you would have a high market base, but thats just a guess. As far as power goes, I want to feel comfortable making 700 whp with these bad boys and not even give a thought as to something breaking, would 1000 be nice....yes, will I ever hit 1000whp probably not. Pistons that are used with these rods are custom made by each seller, I *THINK* MRX uses Arias and Forward Motion uses JE.

http://www.forwardmotioninc.com/html/catalog/page20.html
http://mrxmotors.com/index_files/srt4_race_pistons.htm

As for being made in the US, I would rather keep it in the US, but as long as quality was there may consider outsource. I like to keep jobs in the US and not fund overseas but sometimes its unavoidable... so keep up the good work man! And keep us updated!

FotowntalonSep-23-11 02:58 PM
350 posts,
#47439, "RE: A Salesman"
In response to Reply # 30
Sep-23-11 04:50 PM by Fotowntalon

Couple quick updates, haven't had the most time today, was surprisingly busy. First off can I get the SRT4 website to try and reach the market and see what I can swing with them (hopefully I can swing under the vendor moderator radar).

Secondly we do the the pistons for a little cheaper (nothing the greatest) than FM if you get the pistons with the rod combination. (there website advertised stock CR and bore)

Also talked to my head engineer today, things sound very possible, but the bad news is he wants a rod to take measurements from and to take to QC to tolerances and measurements before he does anything with price/possibility, and this sounds like a big snag in the road. The rod can be a bad rod, burnt up or something of the like, but he was saying the measurements he wants/needs aren't just something we can look up.

But at the moment if the volume is there (and that is a big if) we are hopefully looking around the $1250 range for rods and pistons, or hopefully ~750 for rods. Did have one question, on FM's $1,900 set of titanium rods. And that question is why?

**Edit**
Just to clarify we just need an aftermarket rod for the srt4 length isn't a big deal and brand isnt that big of a deal either just as long as the big and small bore are in decent shape

Slo2gSep-23-11 11:45 PM
1074 posts,
#47440, "RE: A Salesman"
In response to Reply # 31

So a stock srt 4 rod wouldn't work? Does Callies not make a rod for the srt4 anyway? Just curious, id be willing to be some one has a stocker laying around, not sure on an aftermarket though...

FotowntalonSep-24-11 03:00 PM
350 posts,
#47441, "RE: A Salesman"
In response to Reply # 32

I'm pretty sure he wanted a used aftermarket but I will recheck on Monday. Obviously an aftermarket one will be tougher to get than a stocker, but at the same time, it can be used, and no good. And no to currently making any SRT4 stuff, we are basically only American muscle (minus the neon stroker crank which i think we are discontinuing) but I am trying to lead them into a different direction and be there ambassador into the tuner world if you would. I think both parties could benefit from them.

FotowntalonSep-29-11 12:22 PM
350 posts,
#47463, "RE: A Salesman"
In response to Reply # 33

Got involved more with my sales manager, he agrees with me the long rod shouldn't matter. Working on talking to Crower to see if we can get an aftermarket rod from them and then go from there. So don't give up yet, just keep gathering interest and people who want a set from us. If you guys need any information on the rod, call 419-435-2711 and ask for Steve, or post on here or email me at Sovermier@callies.com

ModeratortekleinSep-29-11 02:10 PM
1699 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list facebook
#47464, "RE: A Salesman"
In response to Reply # 34

Originally posted by Fotowntalon
Got involved more with my sales manager, he agrees with me the long rod shouldn't matter. Working on talking to Crower to see if we can get an aftermarket rod from them and then go from there. So don't give up yet, just keep gathering interest and people who want a set from us. If you guys need any information on the rod, call 419-435-2711 and ask for Steve, or post on here or email me at Sovermier@callies.com

Who cares about the long rod - I want a beast ass hook up on my crank!

FotowntalonSep-29-11 02:24 PM
350 posts,
#47465, "RE: A Salesman"
In response to Reply # 35

I can probably get you one super cheap but it would still need machine work done, like timing notches put in and etc. Would you be interested in that? We are actually discontinuing out 2.2L Cranks

ModeratortekleinSep-29-11 02:25 PM
1699 posts,
#47466, "RE: A Salesman"
In response to Reply # 36

How hard could that be?

But yeah, if you are discontinuing them, I need one dude!

FotowntalonSep-29-11 02:30 PM
350 posts,
#47467, "RE: A Salesman"
In response to Reply # 37

PM me your # and I'll give you a call later today with what needs done and price and etc.

Top Team 2GNT Community The Pits v3.1 topic #47355 Previous topic | Next topic