Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top Team 2GNT Community The Pits v3.1 topic #44617
View in linear mode

Subject: "Curses, Foiled again!" Previous topic | Next topic
740 turbo brickJun-23-10 10:55 PM
Member since Jun 09th 2008
831 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#44617, "Curses, Foiled again!"

I was hoping to be able to go to the track tonight after running a 15.5 a few weeks ago. I was feeling pretty confident that I could have had a 15.2 or better, So I started the day out early getting ready. I stripped all the extras out, sub box, spare tire, cleaned it up a bit (even the engine bay, looks a lot better.)

Then I went to the local Monroe and got 2 245 40 15 drag radials mounted on some alloy wheels. Not sure if I really NEED them, but I was going to do a few runs with and a few without to see the difference. After getting ready all day long, just 5 minutes before I was about to get on the freeway, it starts pouring. At this point the track opens in about half an hour. After 10 mins of still raining, I call the track, sure enough, grudge night is cancelled. At this point I realized I need anger management...

Whats worse is, I told my place of employment that if for some reason I didnt go to the track, I would come in and work from 5 to 12. I was at work or about 30 mins, the sun comes out, looks like it never rained. Needless to say, I was upset.

Cliff notes: Bullett, you have to wait for next Wednesday for me to run a 14.999999. On the good side of things, I should have my AEM V2 by then. Ended up winning it for $142, when it started at 0.99

95 Eclipse GS: 10.5:1, Crower 2's and MSII
186 WHP - 150 WTQ
14.697 @ 93.85 MPH......Gone, but not forgotten
99 420A Avenger: Given to my sister
99 GS OZ: Sold
03 Evo 8: Family Car with balls

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: Curses, Foiled again!, dalesmitsu, Jun-24-10 12:44 AM, #1
RE: Curses, Foiled again!, 740 turbo brick, Jun-24-10 12:57 AM, #2
RE: Curses, Foiled again!, Moderatorbullettdsm, Jun-24-10 03:11 AM, #3
      RE: Curses, Foiled again!, 740 turbo brick, Jun-24-10 11:06 AM, #7
RE: Curses, Foiled again!, djtrickee, Jun-24-10 09:10 AM, #4
      RE: Curses, Foiled again!, Fallen4ng31, Jun-24-10 09:25 AM, #5
           RE: Curses, Foiled again!, John99RS, Jun-24-10 11:02 AM, #6
                RE: Curses, Foiled again!, ModeratorVX100, Jun-24-10 08:57 PM, #8

dalesmitsuJun-24-10 12:44 AM
Member since May 13th 2006
986 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#44618, "RE: Curses, Foiled again!"
In response to Reply # 0

Sounds like when I go wash my 2g, it would start rainy.

Congrats, on your ebay win. Is your intake PP, what TB you're using.

__
1995 gs Saved from the crusher
1998 RS gone to(Dsm Heaven)
1997 gs gone to Dsm heaven

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

740 turbo brickJun-24-10 12:57 AM
831 posts,
#44619, "RE: Curses, Foiled again!"
In response to Reply # 1

Shit dude, I gave up on waxing my car. Every time I do, come out the next morning and theres a bird shit fiesta on the hood.

My intake manifold is gasket mactched upper and lower, a little material was taken out to open it up, the injector humps were curved way down, and the TB opening had material added and was opened to exactly 60mm. Matches up perfecly with my MP 60mm TB. When I open the throttle plate you can see clear to the other side of where the map sensor bolts to. My generic CAI ($30 ebay) is actually smaller than my whole intake now, which is why I decided to look for an AEM V2. Sort of like the god awful "Whale Penis" for Hondas.

186 WHP - 150 WTQ

ModeratorbullettdsmJun-24-10 03:11 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2676 posts,
#44620, "RE: Curses, Foiled again!"
In response to Reply # 2

Originally posted by 740 turbo brick
My generic CAI ($30 ebay) is actually smaller than my whole intake now, which is why I decided to look for an AEM V2.

Bingo. That may very well be the answer to your mph problem. Too constrictive (small diameter) a piping will choke your top end. It doesn't allow you to use the benefits of your TB. The intake should actually be at least a little bigger than your TB.

Also, I did some testing on the CAI vs the Ram air and found that I lost top end with the CAI. It was like the longer tubing was restricting the air flow.

As for the rain, I can relate. "That's racing".

Captain Caveman

96 RS Turbo 11.414 @ 119.62 MSNS, Crower 2 NA cams, BW366, 10.5 comp, UDP, 60mm TB, W/A intercooler, 3.55 tranny 567.9whp 430tq
97 RS NA 13.188 @ 103.87 MSnS powered 12.5 comp, Crower 3's and 219.4whp with 175tq
98 RS DD 12.5 comp on stock ECU, LTH, Crower 2's, Koni, GC, Hypercoil, DG hats
99 OZ 5sp Stocker 15.856 @ 85.97
99 GS stocker auto 17.7@77mph!

wiki home page:http://www.2gnt.com/index.php?d=bullettdsm

740 turbo brickJun-24-10 11:06 AM
831 posts,
#44624, "RE: Curses, Foiled again!"
In response to Reply # 3

Originally posted by bullettdsm
Originally posted by 740 turbo brick My generic CAI ($30 ebay) is actually smaller than my whole intake now, which is why I decided to look for an AEM V2.
Bingo. That may very well be the answer to your mph problem. Too constrictive (small diameter) a piping will choke your top end. It doesn't allow you to use the benefits of your TB. The intake should actually be at least a little bigger than your TB. Also, I did some testing on the CAI vs the Ram air and found that I lost top end with the CAI. It was like the longer tubing was restricting the air flow. As for the rain, I can relate. "That's racing".

I think I came to realize that after I datalogged one of my WOT runs. I noticed my map say between 98 - 101 kpa, UNTIL about 6k or so, it would drop down to about 85. :| I was thinking to myself, I really shouldnt be seeing vacuum like that at WOT, so my engine must be sucking in more air than my intake can deliver. If this V2 doesnt help me with a little more air delivery I may have to try to find some way to make a 3" intake.

186 WHP - 150 WTQ

djtrickeeJun-24-10 09:10 AM
Donating 2GNT member
5924 posts,
#44621, "RE: Curses, Foiled again!"
In response to Reply # 1

Originally posted by dalesmitsu
it would start rainy.

Chocolate?

.........................................................................................................................

Built. That's All...
.........................................................................................................................
www.monkeybuttpirate.com
2 Fingers of Scotch with a milk back... Stat!

Fallen4ng31Jun-24-10 09:25 AM
Donating 2GNT member
370 posts,
#44622, "RE: Curses, Foiled again!"
In response to Reply # 4

They same that some stay dry and others feel the pain.

1998 Eclipse RS-T - Totaled 4/23/09 -
1998 Eclipse GST - Stroked 2.3l, HX40 fed: Build in progress
2010 Subaru Outback Limited

I hate hipsters.

John99RSJun-24-10 11:02 AM
Donating 2GNT member
1191 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list facebook
#44623, "RE: Curses, Foiled again!"
In response to Reply # 5

Yeah....detailed car = Rain! Sucks

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3130861

ModeratorVX100Jun-24-10 08:57 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2831 posts,
#44625, "RE: Curses, Foiled again!"
In response to Reply # 6

Those drag radials you put on are 245s? Mine are 195s, I'd say the 245s are too heavy for the lack of tourqe we have coming out of our engines. I'd go with narrower and lighter tires. 245s have a lot of rotational inertia to overcome. I ran 225 drag radials once and got outstanding 60' times but they bogged the car down on the top end and my 1/4 mile times suffered for it. The lighter drag radials helped me to get good 60' times (when I don't screw up and bog the launch) and keep my top end.

"Tutto fa brodo."

Todd Scungio
98 RS
15.173 @ 90.70 MPH

And also a 2011 Ralliart

Top Team 2GNT Community The Pits v3.1 topic #44617 Previous topic | Next topic