Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 4 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #9822
View in linear mode

Subject: "which rotors and brake pads?" Previous topic | Next topic
ableach33Jun-03-02 05:06 AM
Member since Apr 26th 2002
194 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#9822, "which rotors and brake pads?"

i searched and found a post about rotors in this section but i tried finding the different brands in stores and online and didn't have much luck. i'm looking to spend about up to $150 for rotors and brake pads for my front wheels and was wondering on which ones I should get and where I can get them. Also, about how long do rotors and pads last because I am willing to spend more depending on how long they will last. My car is basically just used for normal driving around town and some long distance. tia.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: which rotors and brake pads?, John99RS, Jun-03-02 07:12 AM, #1
RE: which rotors and brake pads?, ableach33, Jun-03-02 08:47 AM, #2
      RE: which rotors and brake pads?, John99RS, Jun-03-02 12:44 PM, #3
           RE: which rotors and brake pads?, jZa, Jun-03-02 02:18 PM, #4
                RE: which rotors and brake pads?, ableach33, Jun-04-02 01:59 AM, #5
                     RE: which rotors and brake pads?, TeamMetalJim, Jun-04-02 02:42 AM, #6
                          RE: which rotors and brake pads?, ableach33, Jun-04-02 02:57 AM, #7
                               RE: which rotors and brake pads?, jZa, Jun-04-02 11:04 AM, #8

John99RSJun-03-02 07:12 AM
Donating 2GNT member
1191 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list facebook
#9823, "RE: which rotors and brake pads?"
In response to Reply # 0

Lets see.....here's what I can think of.

Rotors: Powerslot, Powerstop, Brembo, KVR, and EBC.
Pads: Axxis Metal Master, PBR Metal Master, KVR, and EBC has
four grades of pads.

Then there are big brake kits, such as AEM, Brembo and Willwood.

If you do a search on Yahoo or other serch engine, you will find places that sell these items.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3130861

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

ableach33Jun-03-02 08:47 AM
194 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#9824, "RE: which rotors and brake pads?"
In response to Reply # 1

do you know how long rotors and brakes usually last? and how much longer would these brands last compare to cheaper brands?

John99RSJun-03-02 12:44 PM
Donating 2GNT member
1191 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list facebook
#9825, "RE: which rotors and brake pads?"
In response to Reply # 2

It really depends on the driver(I think). Some people drive hard, some don't....some ride their brakes...you know. There are a couple types of pads out there that are not what they call "rotor safe", but these are more a long the lines of racing/track pads only.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3130861

jZaJun-03-02 02:18 PM
Old School 2GNTer
1130 posts,
#9826, "RE: which rotors and brake pads?"
In response to Reply # 3

I would get powerSlots, I wish I would have taken a picture to compare my powerslots(front) to the raceconcepts(rear), the powerslots are a lot thicker, so they'll last longer all else being equal. I have PBR pads and i'm happy with them, they don't squeal at all and they dust the same or less than stock, which is not much at all.

jZa
IHS # fo-six-fo-six

"real men don't ride stick"

ableach33Jun-04-02 01:59 AM
194 posts,
#9827, "RE: which rotors and brake pads?"
In response to Reply # 4

what about the brembo cross drilled and slotted rotors? would these be a better choice than just slotted rotors? (would they last longer?)

TeamMetalJimJun-04-02 02:42 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2135 posts,
#9828, "RE: which rotors and brake pads?"
In response to Reply # 5

I've heard(not on this board) that cross-drilled rotors will crack easier because they cool quicker AND compared to slotted rotors they give better braking performance.

95 Eclipse RS : 5 speed
Gude cams : test pipe : CAI : Dual air horns : Kenwood KDC 5000 : AutoCommand remote start
incomming - lower strut bars : AFX UDP

95 Eclipse RS : 5 speed
14.76 @ 94.72mph
Jeep TB writeup - http://www.dimensia.com:81/jimbo/JeepTBfor2gnt.html

ableach33Jun-04-02 02:57 AM
194 posts,
#9829, "RE: which rotors and brake pads?"
In response to Reply # 6

yeah.. i've been reading the same thing.. but I heard that the combination of slotted and drilled is the best choice.. however, i just need rotors for normal driving so I just would like the ones that will last longer...

i've heard that the brembo's are like $125 from http://www.advancedracingdynamics.com/main.html

and i've found the power slots for $62.27 ea. from
http://www.autoexp.com/pdf/ae/AE_Mitsubishi_Catalog.pdf (p.5)

jZaJun-04-02 11:04 AM
Old School 2GNTer
1130 posts,
#9830, "RE: which rotors and brake pads?"
In response to Reply # 7

well brembo makes most of the rotors you see including powerslots, there's just different variations of them and some companies drill them and sell under their respected names, others drill them and use the name "brembo" since its a trusted name (and thats what they actually are).

Simple physics suggests that cross drilled will crack easier (all else being equal), how easy is the question.

jZa
IHS # fo-six-fo-six

"real men don't ride stick"

Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #9822 Previous topic | Next topic