Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #8574
View in linear mode

Subject: "Clunk sound from rear left area?" Previous topic | Next topic
pancitoApr-11-02 11:48 AM
Old School 2GNTer
460 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#8574, "Clunk sound from rear left area?"

I know this has been ask, and the result that i got is LIVE WITH IT!!!. But is that it i don't have a chance to eliminate the Clunk sound that i have in my back, is been 2 weeks, and at first it didn't sounded at all, then on big potholes, now every little bump on the road i hear a clunk noise. Has anybody been able to pinpoint the exact problem, is it the A-arm bushing?, or where the spring meets the seat of the strut? Anyone can help me see the light???

Thanks

fernando_valdez@hotmail.com

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: Clunk sound from rear left area?, pancito, Apr-11-02 11:50 AM, #1
RE: Clunk sound from rear left area?, xEclipsE RaceRx, Apr-11-02 12:03 PM, #2
RE: Clunk sound from rear left area?, TeamXtremeRS, Apr-11-02 01:25 PM, #3
RE: Clunk sound from rear left area?, madregal, Apr-11-02 03:30 PM, #4
      RE: Clunk sound from rear left area?, pancito, Apr-11-02 03:54 PM, #5
           RE: Clunk sound from rear left area?, eclipsekaiser, Apr-11-02 06:46 PM, #6
                RE: Clunk sound from rear left area?, pancito, Apr-12-02 01:23 AM, #7
                     RE: Clunk sound from rear left area?, madregal, Apr-12-02 02:02 AM, #8
                          RE: Clunk sound from rear left area?, iamnotwhoiam, Apr-12-02 04:11 AM, #9
                               RE: Clunk sound from rear left area?, pancito, Apr-12-02 05:03 AM, #10
                                    RE: Clunk sound from rear left area?, run4cvr, Apr-12-02 06:12 AM, #11
                                    RE: Clunk sound from rear left area?, iamnotwhoiam, Apr-12-02 10:03 AM, #12

pancitoApr-11-02 11:50 AM
Old School 2GNTer
460 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#8575, "RE: Clunk sound from rear left area?"
In response to Reply # 0

Forgot to add that i have pro-kits (For 2 weeks) and KYB AGX since yesterday, i tought it was the worn out stock strut but nope, that wasn't it. yesterday also i installed the Camber kit for the back so it least those joints are not it.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

xEclipsE RaceRxApr-11-02 12:03 PM
Member since Jan 09th 2002
2982 posts,
#8576, "RE: Clunk sound from rear left area?"
In response to Reply # 1

have all you lug nuts installed in that area?

1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS 10th Anniversary OZ Edition
Check Out My Site For Mods And Pix
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/EclipseRaceR/Site/Intro.htm

2002 Subaru Impreza WRX

1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS 10th Anniversary OZ Edition

TeamXtremeRSApr-11-02 01:25 PM
Member since May 20th 2003
6329 posts,
#8577, "RE: Clunk sound from rear left area?"
In response to Reply # 0

This might sound dumb, but check your spare tire and jack. Be sure they aren't loose. I know with my new springs and wheels it made the ride stiffer, and i noticed my spare and jack werent' completely tightened. Be sure that you have the spring in its groove on the pearch properly. There should be a notch in the strut that goes against the last edge of the coil on the spring. Be sure those are touching. Be sure its not you tires rubbing, or your strut bumpstop bottoming out..

13.5 @108 MPH-2.2 60ft(stupid FWD!)
S16G @ 18 PSI/FMIC/Running on MegaSquirt II (Now with sequential
fuel injection)

My webpage: http://eclipsed4evr.home.comcast.net
-1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse RS-T- "Toy"
-1992 Plymouth Laser Turbo AWD(SOLD)
-2000 Honda CR-V(daily)

madregalApr-11-02 03:30 PM
Old School 2GNTer
398 posts,
#8578, "RE: Clunk sound from rear left area?"
In response to Reply # 3

Read my previous post and replies...

http://www.2gnt.com/dcforum/DCForumID14/1360.html

i find it hard to believe that we have to just grin and bear it. i have had lowered cars before and there wasn't a clunk.

it is so bad that everybody who rides with me asks me about it. i feel stupid telling them that it happened when i lowered the car.

i hate to whine but somebody MUST have a solution! anybody???

'98 GS AT.Magenta Gray Pearl.Accel Spark Plug Wires.NGK Plugs.AEM Short Stack.GS-T Exhaust.AFX Underdrive pulley.RRE Front Lower Bar.Tenzo Rear Upper Bar
Tenzo Rear Lower Bar.Tenzo Front Upper Bar.Energy Suspension Bushings.Energy Suspension Motor Mounts.Radius Rims.Pirelli Tires.Eibach Pro kit Springs.KYB GR2.$15 camber mod

'98 GS AT.Magenta Gray Pearl.Accel Spark Plug Wires.NGK Plugs.AEM Short Stack.GS-T Exhaust.AFX Underdrive pulley.RRE Front Lower Bar.Tenzo Rear Upper Bar.Tenzo Rear Lower Bar.Tenzo Front Upper Bar.Energy Suspension Bushings.Energy Suspension Motor Mounts.

pancitoApr-11-02 03:54 PM
Old School 2GNTer
460 posts,
#8579, "RE: Clunk sound from rear left area?"
In response to Reply # 4

i did read your post before i posted anything, i also fill bad, and it's anoying, i have taken apart my suspension al least 3 times now, checked and rechecked everything, this weekend i'm going to change the "moving parts" Shocks (or struts?) and springs, i'm going to change them left to right. and see the difference, if the sound moves to the other side i have something to work on, but unless we pinpoint the problem, it sucks @ss.. I will keep you updated, i don't know how much time you have to do it also, and see if we get the same result, or whatever...

eclipsekaiserApr-11-02 06:46 PM
Old School 2GNTer
2375 posts,
#8580, "RE: Clunk sound from rear left area?"
In response to Reply # 5

not sure if this is the case, but did you install the strut mounting nuts after you lower the car back on it's wheels?

if so, then what about bump stops?

also make sure the spring is sitting in the perch correctly.

hope this solevs your problem.

kaiser

-K-

pancitoApr-12-02 01:23 AM
Old School 2GNTer
460 posts,
#8581, "RE: Clunk sound from rear left area?"
In response to Reply # 6

>not sure if this is the case, but did you install the strut
>mounting nuts after you lower the car back on it's wheels?
>
>if so, then what about bump stops?
>
>also make sure the spring is sitting in the perch correctly.
>
>hope this solevs your problem.
>
>kaiser

If by Strut mounting nuts do you mean the 2 bolts that are in the top, inside of the car, yes, everything is thight, bumpstops are in also they are not cut or anything.

madregalApr-12-02 02:02 AM
Old School 2GNTer
398 posts,
#8582, "RE: Clunk sound from rear left area?"
In response to Reply # 7

with mine, the problem is that the spring bounces on the bottom perch. i put a sleeve to insulate the spring..but it still clunks.

'98 GS AT.Magenta Gray Pearl.Accel Spark Plug Wires.NGK Plugs.AEM Short Stack.GS-T Exhaust.AFX Underdrive pulley.RRE Front Lower Bar.Tenzo Rear Upper Bar
Tenzo Rear Lower Bar.Tenzo Front Upper Bar.Energy Suspension Bushings.Energy Suspension Motor Mounts.Radius Rims.Pirelli Tires.Eibach Pro kit Springs.KYB GR2.$15 camber mod

'98 GS AT.Magenta Gray Pearl.Accel Spark Plug Wires.NGK Plugs.AEM Short Stack.GS-T Exhaust.AFX Underdrive pulley.RRE Front Lower Bar.Tenzo Rear Upper Bar.Tenzo Rear Lower Bar.Tenzo Front Upper Bar.Energy Suspension Bushings.Energy Suspension Motor Mounts.

iamnotwhoiamApr-12-02 04:11 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2361 posts,
#8583, "RE: Clunk sound from rear left area?"
In response to Reply # 8

for you pancito: i belive what may be causing the sound is the same thing that tends to go wrong on all our cars with good age and wear and tear. the upper knukle arm bushings have a tendency to fail and that causes the knukle to hit against the upper control arm that it is connected to. check it on your car on both rear parts of the car. see if the knuckle is centered where it connects to the upper control arm.

-Jason

97 Talon ESi-T (forever in progress...)

95 GS (Gone)
16.74@83.18mph
119.8 whp - 113.3 lbs/ft

2GNT #677
My Wiki Page: www.2gnt.com/index.php?d=Iamnotwhoiam
Pictures: http://picasaweb.google.com/iamnotwhoiam/Talon/

pancitoApr-12-02 05:03 AM
Old School 2GNTer
460 posts,
#8584, "RE: Clunk sound from rear left area?"
In response to Reply # 9

How do i replace this bushings? is there a semi-complete. lol bushing kit to fix this? or do i have to go to satan to get this. i know my car is 7 years old but it's very odd that the sound apeared after being lowered, i will try to take a tape recorder and upload the file.

(In super-hero kinda voice)
I Will not rest until i have pinpointed the sound, if I can do something about it, then so be it, if it's to much $$$ then i will upgrade the Sound System!!! LOL

run4cvrApr-12-02 06:12 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2477 posts,
#8585, "RE: Clunk sound from rear left area?"
In response to Reply # 10

I had the same problem as iamnotwhoiam. Mine was pretty bad, so i bought the energy supenison bushing kit. Well 2 days after i bought it i wrecked my car (hit a curb), and when Satan fixed my car it still did it. So i took it back and acted dumb and told them i heard a clunk coming from the rear. They checked it out, and replaced the whole knuckle arm.

John 96 GS

iamnotwhoiamApr-12-02 10:03 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2361 posts,
#8586, "RE: Clunk sound from rear left area?"
In response to Reply # 10

two options.. get the energy suspension upper control arm bushing set.. and have someone replace the bushing which that someone will need to have a press and such, and pay for labor depending on how long it would take and such.. or get a whole new knuckle arm from satan.. which is like 170ish.

-Jason

97 Talon ESi-T (forever in progress...)

95 GS (Gone)
16.74@83.18mph
119.8 whp - 113.3 lbs/ft

2GNT #677
My Wiki Page: www.2gnt.com/index.php?d=Iamnotwhoiam
Pictures: http://picasaweb.google.com/iamnotwhoiam/Talon/

Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #8574 Previous topic | Next topic