Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 2 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #7898
View in linear mode

Subject: "Opinions on tires" Previous topic | Next topic
thisismygsMar-24-02 07:45 AM
Old School 2GNTer
730 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#7898, "Opinions on tires"

My tires have very little thread left, so I gotta get new ones. What tires do you guys have, and how do you like them, and which others do you recommend? I'm currently looking at Nittos, Kumhos, and Falkens. If any of you have these, which ones and how do you like them? The ones on there now are the ones I bought the car used with, 215/55/16. I know the stock ones are 205/55/16; so, should I get 215s, or 205s?

dgonzalez52@yahoo.com

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: Opinions on tires, bigbrent88, Mar-24-02 10:34 AM, #1
NITTO nt450!, Marctronixx, Mar-24-02 11:08 AM, #2
RE: Opinions on tires, eclipser99RS, Mar-24-02 11:14 AM, #3
      RE: Opinions on tires, vegasdsmr, Mar-24-02 11:41 AM, #4
           RE: Opinions on tires, trickedeclipse, Mar-24-02 01:57 PM, #5
                RE: Opinions on tires, HadesOmega, Mar-24-02 02:40 PM, #6
                     RE: Opinions on tires, ghostshellx, Mar-24-02 05:15 PM, #7
                          RE: Opinions on tires, thisismygs, Mar-25-02 01:48 AM, #8
                               RE: Opinions on tires, GorkoRacing, Mar-25-02 03:10 AM, #9
                                    RE: Opinions on tires, fasterGS, Mar-25-02 03:56 AM, #10
                                         RE: Opinions on tires, Irfan, Mar-25-02 09:12 PM, #11
                                              RE: Opinions on tires, Amish_Eclipse, Mar-26-02 10:26 AM, #12
                                                   RE: Opinions on tires, brynden29, Mar-27-02 01:56 AM, #13
                                                        RE: Opinions on tires, Amish_Eclipse, Mar-27-02 02:14 PM, #14
                                                             RE: Opinions on tires, Doug96GS, Mar-27-02 03:53 PM, #15

bigbrent88Mar-24-02 10:34 AM
Member since Jan 13th 2002
692 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#7899, "RE: Opinions on tires"
In response to Reply # 0

I'm runnign stock tires, but I plan tog et either the G-Force or the Pilot Sports, the new pilot sports are all-weather, but have 3 different rubber treads for all conditions, a good center rib for wet weather handling, wet weather tread with all-weather rubber, and a soft grippy outer shoulder. Its supposed to be almost as good as the summer only tires, but with good handling all the time.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

MarctronixxMar-24-02 11:08 AM
Old School 2GNTer
571 posts,
#7900, "NITTO nt450!"
In response to Reply # 1

nitto nt450s 215/35/18. i have had them since 1999 and have tons of tread left.. they have been very good to me even when i forget to miss the potholes in the street! :O

eclipser99RSMar-24-02 11:14 AM
Member since Mar 21st 2002
33 posts,
#7901, "RE: Opinions on tires"
In response to Reply # 1

SIZE 205 SEEM TO BE A FEW BUCK CHEAPER I WOULD SUGEST FOR LONGER LASTING TIRES GO WITH THE KUHMOS. I GOT SOME AND THEY ARE PRETTY GOOD THEY ALSO HAVE A CENTER RIB FOR BAD WEATHER DAYS TO LET THE WATER GO TROUGH AND THEY ARE ALSO VERY AFFORDIBLE. THEY ARENT THE BEST TIRES BUT THEY ARE SOLID FOR THE PRICE. THEY ARE THE KUHMO ECSTA SUPRA 712.

ECLIPSE 5 SPEED

ENGINE:
COLD AIR INTAKE/ AIR FILTER
INTERIOR:
KENWOOD SOUND SYSTEM
1400 WATT AMP
12" Pioneer sub
INDIGLO GAUGES
WHEELS:
16" CHROME RIMS

COMING SOON:
CATBACK EXHAUST
HEADERS
SPRINGS/SHOCKS & STRUTS

vegasdsmrMar-24-02 11:41 AM
Old School 2GNTer
4713 posts,
#7902, "RE: Opinions on tires"
In response to Reply # 3

i run the nitto 450s, only bad thing is they dont grip well when they are cold, and they arent all that good in the rain.
for performance, i.e. cornering, they are 10 times betta than the stock tires i replaced em with

03 srt-4 13.130@112.47mph (n2o, stock turbo, 10/2003)
now: 20g, portfueler, bpu+++ (track/dyno times tbd...)

i farted on your wiki

trickedeclipseMar-24-02 01:57 PM
Old School 2GNTer
438 posts,
#7903, "RE: Opinions on tires"
In response to Reply # 4

spend the extra couple dollars and get nitto 555's. you'll see why i said that when you get them. i think cyan will agree.

-PJ
'96 ESI-NOS Talon / '02 Subaru WRX

"Making Dreams Reality"

HadesOmegaMar-24-02 02:40 PM
Old School 2GNTer
4529 posts,
#7904, "RE: Opinions on tires"
In response to Reply # 5

Cheap good tires are Falken Azenis or Kumoh 712s, AA traction and like 300 treadwear. Autocrossers choice ^_^

http://www.hadesomega.info -car specz and movies 95 Eclipse RS | 76' 280Z | 89' MR2 | 99 Neon | 91 Zephyr
Who sez FF can't drift?

ghostshellxMar-24-02 05:15 PM
Donating 2GNT member
576 posts,
#7905, "RE: Opinions on tires"
In response to Reply # 6

i'm running on some faulken Zeix(or something like that)502 series, 205,55,16 they're great for the price i got them for, they seem to grip well in the cold, rain, snow, and hot ass days

The 2GNT is Gone... and the curse too!!

thisismygsMar-25-02 01:48 AM
Old School 2GNTer
730 posts,
#7906, "RE: Opinions on tires"
In response to Reply # 7

thanks for all the opinions guys!

dgonzalez52@yahoo.com

GorkoRacingMar-25-02 03:10 AM
Old School 2GNTer
1757 posts,
#7907, "RE: Opinions on tires"
In response to Reply # 8

Spend a little more and get Toyo proxes T-1S's as they are tha shit. You can hear them sticking to the road and the tread life is also good. They stick like mad even in wet weather. The only bad thing is the price. The cheapest I found them were $150 a piece.

fasterGSMar-25-02 03:56 AM
Donating 2GNT member
3879 posts,
Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#7908, "RE: Opinions on tires"
In response to Reply # 9

IMO you can never go wrong with yokohama'a either. Ive had them on both of my cars now and they are great. The higher rated ones wear fairly quickly though, we went through a set of them in a year and a half on our celica.

IrfanMar-25-02 09:12 PM
Old School 2GNTer
566 posts,
#7909, "RE: Opinions on tires"
In response to Reply # 10

i have bridgestone potenzas, 135 a piece online. 225/45/17 ... worn out after 13K, they might go to 15-17K, but thats how it is with nice tires. When new they stick like leeches, these days they arent nrealy as good. i also had a bad toe out problem early out that ruined the rear insides. over all they are still wearing fast, i plan on getting kumhos since they last longer and i cant shell out 600 bucks a year. MATRONIXX- how many miles do u have on ur tires?

2GNT Member #76, since Fall 1999

Drives: 2004 Mazda RX-8
Drove: 1999 Saab 9-5 SE
1999 Eclipse GS Hahn Stage 1

Amish_EclipseMar-26-02 10:26 AM
Old School 2GNTer
3026 posts,
#7910, "RE: Opinions on tires"
In response to Reply # 11

215 55-16 is wrong. OE size is 205 55 and optional tire size is 215 50. yes 5% aspect ratio makes a difference. plus 50 series is the cut off for low profile tires. meaning tires that are 50 series and lower come with much stiffer sidewalls. if you want good performing tires on the stock rim go with 215 50 16's and i would get either michelin pilot a/s or dunlop sp5000. those dunlopps will wear faster cause they are z rated but they have awsome rain traction.

http://www.ocaddict.com

thanks beefgg for the sig

brynden29Mar-27-02 01:56 AM
Donating 2GNT member
4079 posts,
#7911, "RE: Opinions on tires"
In response to Reply # 12

Well, I am running the Yokohama Parada's and I love them. I had the Nitto NT450's and they sucked balls. I hated them. They were horrible in the rain, dry streets they were alright, but nothing like the Parada's. They were more expensive, but well worth it if you have the duckets.

Brynden

Amish_EclipseMar-27-02 02:14 PM
Old School 2GNTer
3026 posts,
#7912, "RE: Opinions on tires"
In response to Reply # 13

paradas are the shit

http://www.ocaddict.com

thanks beefgg for the sig

Doug96GSMar-27-02 03:53 PM
Old School 2GNTer
2686 posts,
#7913, "RE: Opinions on tires"
In response to Reply # 14

215's are too big for our stock wheels. Stay with 205's, they fit better. I have Dunlop SP Sport 8000's and I love 'em.

Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #7898 Previous topic | Next topic