Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #7503
View in linear mode

Subject: "annoying clunk in the rear after lowering" Previous topic | Next topic
madregalMar-14-02 04:00 AM
Old School 2GNTer
398 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#7503, "annoying clunk in the rear after lowering"

weeks back i posted that after installing my prokits and kyb gr2s, i have this clunk that is caused by the spring hitting the bottom metal perch of the spring holder. first it was just the left rear...now i hear it on both sides.

i took somebody's advise here to put some sort of hose ( i used a garden hose) to insulate and deaden the sound.. it really didn't work.

does anybody else have this problem? it is annoying as hell. the guy that installed the springs keeps offering to put my stockers back on. that is not an option. but i am at my wits end when i hear it everytime i drive.

help!

marc
'98 GS AT.Magenta Gray Pearl.Accel Spark Plug Wires.NGK Plugs.AEM Short Stack.GS-T Exhaust.AFX Underdrive pulley.RRE Front Lower Bar.Tenzo Rear Upper Bar
Tenzo Rear Lower Bar.Tenzo Front Upper Bar.Energy Suspension Bushings.Energy Suspension Motor Mounts.Radius Rims.Pirelli Tires.Eibach Pro kit Springs.KYB GR2.$15 camber mod

'98 GS AT.Magenta Gray Pearl.Accel Spark Plug Wires.NGK Plugs.AEM Short Stack.GS-T Exhaust.AFX Underdrive pulley.RRE Front Lower Bar.Tenzo Rear Upper Bar.Tenzo Rear Lower Bar.Tenzo Front Upper Bar.Energy Suspension Bushings.Energy Suspension Motor Mounts.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: annoying clunk in the rear after lowering, m_berrow, Mar-14-02 04:26 AM, #1
RE: annoying clunk in the rear after lowering, 1TuffRS, Mar-14-02 05:19 AM, #2
RE: annoying clunk in the rear after lowering, madregal, Mar-14-02 07:57 AM, #3
RE: annoying clunk in the rear after lowering, madregal, Mar-15-02 08:25 AM, #4
      RE: annoying clunk in the rear after lowering, Ryan_RS, Mar-15-02 08:52 AM, #5
           RE: annoying clunk in the rear after lowering, madregal, Mar-15-02 09:52 AM, #6
                RE: annoying clunk in the rear after lowering, Fast420A, Mar-15-02 09:59 AM, #7
                RE: annoying clunk in the rear after lowering, John99RS, Mar-15-02 12:56 PM, #8
                RE: annoying clunk in the rear after lowering, The1Bill, Apr-12-02 03:33 AM, #9
                     RE: annoying clunk in the rear after lowering, pancito, Apr-12-02 03:51 AM, #10
                     RE: annoying clunk in the rear after lowering, madregal, Apr-12-02 04:29 AM, #11
RE: annoying clunk in the rear after lowering, 420aVenger, Apr-13-02 07:59 AM, #12
Had the same problem!!! (READ), Soular 96GS, Apr-16-02 08:50 AM, #13
RE: Had the same problem!!! (READ), basikstylz (Guest), Apr-16-02 12:40 PM, #14
      RE: Had the same problem!!! (READ), pancito, Apr-16-02 04:57 PM, #15
      RE: Had the same problem!!! (READ), madregal, Apr-17-02 03:38 AM, #16
           RE: Had the same problem!!! (READ), ez, Apr-17-02 04:52 AM, #17
                RE: Had the same problem!!! (READ), pancito, Apr-17-02 06:15 AM, #18
                     RE: Had the same problem!!! (READ), Amish_Eclipse, Apr-17-02 11:22 AM, #19
                          RE: Had the same problem!!! (READ), madregal, Apr-17-02 03:38 PM, #20
                               RE: Had the same problem!!! (READ), preci_eclipse, Apr-18-02 04:09 AM, #21

m_berrowMar-14-02 04:26 AM
Member since Feb 19th 2002
268 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#7504, "RE: annoying clunk in the rear after lowering"
In response to Reply # 0

get aftermarket struts-shocks. that should help the problem. your oem shocks are the kyb gr-2's so by you replacing those with the same shocks wont help.

GS-N pssssst!

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

1TuffRSMar-14-02 05:19 AM
Old School 2GNTer
2338 posts,
#7505, "RE: annoying clunk in the rear after lowering"
In response to Reply # 1

my car did that too. It just went away after a couple of weeks

Toney
'97 RS 5 Speed (totaled)
15.4606@88.42 Mph
96 Toyota Celica GT
88 Toyota Supra NA-T (w/ sports package)
Got Boost?? Hell yeah I-6 turbo powah baby!

madregalMar-14-02 07:57 AM
Old School 2GNTer
398 posts,
#7506, "RE: annoying clunk in the rear after lowering"
In response to Reply # 1

hmmm... are you saying the agx and the gr2s are different heights?

does everybody with gr2s on prokits have this problem?

'98 GS AT.Magenta Gray Pearl.Accel Spark Plug Wires.NGK Plugs.AEM Short Stack.GS-T Exhaust.AFX Underdrive pulley.RRE Front Lower Bar.Tenzo Rear Upper Bar
Tenzo Rear Lower Bar.Tenzo Front Upper Bar.Energy Suspension Bushings.Energy Suspension Motor Mounts.Radius Rims.Pirelli Tires.Eibach Pro kit Springs.KYB GR2.$15 camber mod

'98 GS AT.Magenta Gray Pearl.Accel Spark Plug Wires.NGK Plugs.AEM Short Stack.GS-T Exhaust.AFX Underdrive pulley.RRE Front Lower Bar.Tenzo Rear Upper Bar.Tenzo Rear Lower Bar.Tenzo Front Upper Bar.Energy Suspension Bushings.Energy Suspension Motor Mounts.

madregalMar-15-02 08:25 AM
Old School 2GNTer
398 posts,
#7507, "RE: annoying clunk in the rear after lowering"
In response to Reply # 3

whoelse has prokits on kyb gr2s?
do you have the same problems i do?

anybody who have prokits on stockers?

Ryan_HesMar-15-02 08:52 AM
Old School 2GNTer
3450 posts,
#7508, "RE: annoying clunk in the rear after lowering"
In response to Reply # 4

The clunk is fine, dont worry about it. It's just the new parts adjusting and settling. After a week or so it should go away.

Ryan
IRyanHester@Hotmail.com

'03 Mazda 6s

madregalMar-15-02 09:52 AM
Old School 2GNTer
398 posts,
#7509, "RE: annoying clunk in the rear after lowering"
In response to Reply # 5

my prokits and gr2s were installed months ago! instead of getting better they got worse. right after installation, it was just the rear left. now even ther right rear clunks.

could it be that the spring is short? i am so frustrated.

Fast420AMar-15-02 09:59 AM
Old School 2GNTer
4370 posts,
#7510, "RE: annoying clunk in the rear after lowering"
In response to Reply # 6

I have been lowered with AGX struts for about 1 1/2 years and I still have the clunk, I just ignore it.

________________________________________________________________________________________
current status - No 3rd Gear synchro

http://hometown.aol.com/ohshootuhh/
www.Fast420A.com

Flame Red SRT-4 GT40,8.5:1 Built Shortblock, Brian Crower Stage 2 Cams, etc etc etc...

John99RSMar-15-02 12:56 PM
Donating 2GNT member
1191 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list facebook
#7511, "RE: annoying clunk in the rear after lowering"
In response to Reply # 7

I think everyone has some sort of noise when lowering . I have a couple different sounds.....you just learn to deal with it.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3130861

The1BillApr-12-02 03:33 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2292 posts,
#7512, "RE: annoying clunk in the rear after lowering"
In response to Reply # 6

Well, yes, the spring is short. Stiffer too, but definately shorter. That is how it does it's lowering. I would personally save up some grip, and get a set of illuminas and ground controls with the helper spring. The helper spring keeps the coilover in contact with both perches no matter what the suspension is doing.
-=B-=

Dude, Boeing called. They want their wing back.

Dark0ne95: There is a butthole on that girl that his going to feel the wrath of 23 yeras of worldwide hate.
Me: Can I put that in my sig?
Dark0ne95: GO right fucking ahead.

pancitoApr-12-02 03:51 AM
Old School 2GNTer
460 posts,
#7513, "RE: annoying clunk in the rear after lowering"
In response to Reply # 9

>Well, yes, the spring is short. Stiffer too, but definately
>shorter. That is how it does it's lowering. I would
>personally save up some grip, and get a set of illuminas and
>ground controls with the helper spring. The helper spring
>keeps the coilover in contact with both perches no matter
>what the suspension is doing.
>-=B-=

I'm not very familiar with the part names, etc but for ground controls i understand they are Coilovers, and to ditch my $300 investment on suspension parts (AGX + Pro-Kits) it's NOT an option.

fernando_valdez@hotmail.com

madregalApr-12-02 04:29 AM
Old School 2GNTer
398 posts,
#7514, "RE: annoying clunk in the rear after lowering"
In response to Reply # 9

can you tell me what a helper spring is?

420aVengerApr-13-02 07:59 AM
Donating 2GNT member
1287 posts,
#7515, "RE: annoying clunk in the rear after lowering"
In response to Reply # 1

>>>>your oem shocks are the kyb gr-2's so by you replacing those
with the same shocks wont help. <<<

No they aren't. I've had them side by side and compared them and the stiffness. The OEM's are KYB but they aren't the same shock.

Soular 96GSApr-16-02 08:50 AM
Old School 2GNTer
105 posts,
#7516, "Had the same problem!!! (READ)"
In response to Reply # 0

Check this...

Check the center nut on the top of the strut.
Be sure its torque to the correct spec numbers

Mine was loose.... and when the strut compressed, it was moving around in the perch.

The best way to check this is to lift the rear of the car and wiggle the tire and push up to compress the strut.

If it is loose... lower the car and tighten to the proper torque.

I have Ground Control Coil Overs with KYB AGX struts with an Ingots camber correction kit... So I have many noises... But that one was the worst.

It just sounded like something was wrong and it was.

As a precaution, a 4-wheel inspection is part of my routine now that I have done all these suspension mods.
I do a walk around very much like a fighter pilot would just before strapping on his/her jet.

I don't do it everyday but I check it when I check the tire pressures and tread.

Also since the roads are a lot harder on a lowered car then a race track... I carry a deep socket that fits the top nut of the strut just in case it gets loose again due to all the pounded it gets from rough roads.

Good Luck I hope that helps! -Soular

"There are only stars in the sky because the Moon has blocked the Sun from view" -Soular

basikstylz (Guest)Apr-16-02 12:40 PM

#7517, "RE: Had the same problem!!! (READ)"
In response to Reply # 13

Make sure that the spring is sitting in there correctly. there is a lil edge on the perches that are made for where the springs end. if its not seated right that could be causeing the noise. thats what happened to me.

pancitoApr-16-02 04:57 PM
Old School 2GNTer
460 posts,
#7518, "RE: Had the same problem!!! (READ)"
In response to Reply # 14

>Make sure that the spring is sitting in there correctly.
>there is a lil edge on the perches that are made for where
>the springs end. if its not seated right that could be
>causeing the noise. thats what happened to me.

Actually i do check them dayly, i can't recreate the sound when i'm on a jack and wheels in the air, so i'm still clueless, i notice somehow when i step on it and all the weight transfers to the back, it kinda sounds less, and sometimes it does sounds less, sometimes it sounds more, I mean a sounds a lot of the times, sometimes only in few big potholes or imperfections in the road...

madregalApr-17-02 03:38 AM
Old School 2GNTer
398 posts,
#7519, "RE: Had the same problem!!! (READ)"
In response to Reply # 14

with mine the spring bounces on the perch.. that is what makes the anooying noise.

>Make sure that the spring is sitting in there correctly.
>there is a lil edge on the perches that are made for where
>the springs end. if its not seated right that could be
>causeing the noise. thats what happened to me.

ezApr-17-02 04:52 AM
Old School 2GNTer
3461 posts,
#7520, "RE: Had the same problem!!! (READ)"
In response to Reply # 16

How about prokits with another strut brand beside KYB, did you have noise as well? Did all the noises fade with time?

2gnt: '99 RS-T, killed by a toyota, pending rebuild...
Daily: Volt
Daily #2: '99 EVG ebike- STOLEN by PEDRO

pancitoApr-17-02 06:15 AM
Old School 2GNTer
460 posts,
#7521, "RE: Had the same problem!!! (READ)"
In response to Reply # 17

>How about prokits with another strut brand beside KYB, did
>you have noise as well? Did all the noises fade with time?

I don't think that KYB are the problem, Madregal has GR-2??? and I have AGX, and it sounded when i had my stock shocks.

Amish_EclipseApr-17-02 11:22 AM
Old School 2GNTer
3026 posts,
#7522, "RE: Had the same problem!!! (READ)"
In response to Reply # 18

what you guys are bishin about is the strut mounts. you can get them from tire rack for 10 a peice in front and 11 a peice in back. i need my strut mounts replaced. my problem used to be a quick loud rattling noise sounded liek something metal was hitting. it would be pretty fast if i was going fast and would slow down as i slowed down. i've been like this for over a year cause i have no money. since it started it's gotten worse. if your in a state that does inspections you won't pass. i did only because i told the guy i do my own work and he wasn't gonna make any money off of me. try it and see. it's not alot of money and even if it doesn't solve the problem you'll get a softer ride out of it.

http://www.ocaddict.com

thanks beefgg for the sig

madregalApr-17-02 03:38 PM
Old School 2GNTer
398 posts,
#7523, "RE: Had the same problem!!! (READ)"
In response to Reply # 19

hey i will try anything to get rid of this clunk.
thanks for the suggestion.

preci_eclipseApr-18-02 04:09 AM
Member since Nov 27th 2001
55 posts,
#7524, "RE: Had the same problem!!! (READ)"
In response to Reply # 20

I have the same problem and posted it a while back. Anyway I have Tokico's and I spoke to a salesman at Tirerack.com, the salesman told me the mounts are specifically for KYB shocks/struts. Can someone correct me/him if I'm wrong. I wanted to buy them but didn't because as far as I understood wouldn't work with my tokico's.

1995 GS with 147K miles, Injen Intake, Pacesetter Catback, Projector headlamps, G2 altezzas, Clear Sidemarkers, Tokico Blues and Eibach Pro's, 18" Chrome Zeneti Milanos, 97+ front bumper

Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #7503 Previous topic | Next topic