Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #6813
View in linear mode

Subject: "changing brake pads & rotors" Previous topic | Next topic
KirbyFeb-18-02 07:54 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2181 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#6813, "changing brake pads & rotors"

has anyone done this themselves? is it hard or easy

I edited to the wiki!

Originally posted by DR1665
NOTE TO SELF: Go commando to wedding. Scar the Irishman for life.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: changing brake pads & rotors, Kirby, Feb-18-02 08:51 AM, #1
RE: changing brake pads & rotors, iamnotwhoiam, Feb-18-02 10:12 AM, #2
RE: changing brake pads & rotors, thisismygs, Feb-18-02 11:56 AM, #3
      RE: changing brake pads & rotors, fasterGS, Feb-19-02 01:19 AM, #4
           RE: changing brake pads & rotors, Amish_Eclipse, Feb-19-02 02:21 PM, #5
                RE: changing brake pads & rotors, SpeedracerIndy, Feb-19-02 02:52 PM, #6
                     RE: changing brake pads & rotors, HadesOmega, Feb-20-02 12:53 PM, #7
                     excellent point!, ModeratorVX100, Feb-21-02 04:22 AM, #9
RE: changing brake pads & rotors, AaronD95GS, Feb-21-02 01:16 PM, #10
RE: changing brake pads & rotors, DeltaOperative, Feb-21-02 03:41 AM, #8

KirbyFeb-18-02 08:51 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2181 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#6814, "RE: changing brake pads & rotors"
In response to Reply # 0

also has anyone tried the ebc brake pads i'm thinking about getting these. anyone know how long they last?

I edited to the wiki!

Originally posted by DR1665
NOTE TO SELF: Go commando to wedding. Scar the Irishman for life.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

iamnotwhoiamFeb-18-02 10:12 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2361 posts,
#6815, "RE: changing brake pads & rotors"
In response to Reply # 1

pads and rotors are pretty easy if you ask me.. there are 2 bolts that hold the caliper braket on and then 2 more to remove the braket so from the caliper.. for the discs, once you have the caliper off then the disk will come right off sorta.. might need to pry it off somewhat.

-Jason

97 Talon ESi-T (forever in progress...)

95 GS (Gone)
16.74@83.18mph
119.8 whp - 113.3 lbs/ft

2GNT #677
My Wiki Page: www.2gnt.com/index.php?d=Iamnotwhoiam
Pictures: http://picasaweb.google.com/iamnotwhoiam/Talon/

thisismygsFeb-18-02 11:56 AM
Old School 2GNTer
730 posts,
#6816, "RE: changing brake pads & rotors"
In response to Reply # 2

i have the ebc green stuff pads. i replaced my rotors and pads at the same time, from both stock (or oem) to powerslot rotors and the ebc pads. incredible increase in stopping power. a VERY noticeable difference. i really like the setup; HOWEVER, one of the reasons that i chose the ebc pads was because they really emphasize the reduction of brake dust from their pads. let me tell you that if they're not as bad as the stock pads in dust buildup, they're worse. but, if you're concerned with performance more than that, go with them.

dgonzalez52@yahoo.com

fasterGSFeb-19-02 01:19 AM
Donating 2GNT member
3879 posts,
Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#6817, "RE: changing brake pads & rotors"
In response to Reply # 3

if you change the pads/rotors do you have to bleed the brakes and all that??

Amish_EclipseFeb-19-02 02:21 PM
Old School 2GNTer
3026 posts,
#6818, "RE: changing brake pads & rotors"
In response to Reply # 4

you don't need to bleed anything but you will need to find away to push the caliper piston back in so you can fir the new pads in. it's good to have like a clamp of some sort. i wouldn't just smack it with a hammer

http://www.ocaddict.com

thanks beefgg for the sig

SpeedracerIndyFeb-19-02 02:52 PM
Member since Jan 14th 2002
81 posts,
#6819, "RE: changing brake pads & rotors"
In response to Reply # 5

Just use a C clamp on one of the old brake pads to push the piston back in. You might want to loosen the cap of the brake fluid tank and suck a little bit out with a turkey baster, just in case you push too much fluid up and it overflows. i only needed to remove some though when I did all four brakes at the same time.

HadesOmegaFeb-20-02 12:53 PM
Old School 2GNTer
4529 posts,
#6820, "RE: changing brake pads & rotors"
In response to Reply # 6

Yes its not too hard just find something to hang the caliper on when it's off so it doesn't hang on the brakeline. You should bleed your brakes when you change your pads, if this is your first time you might as well change all the fluid while your at it. Wahahah I will be getting dual piston calipers soon....

http://www.hadesomega.info -car specz and movies 95 Eclipse RS | 76' 280Z | 89' MR2 | 99 Neon | 91 Zephyr
Who sez FF can't drift?

ModeratorVX100Feb-21-02 04:22 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2831 posts,
#6821, "excellent point!"
In response to Reply # 6

Speedracerindy, that's an excellent point to remember. That happened when I changed my saturn's pads and rotors 2 weeks ago, a little fluid came out the top of the reservoir.

changing pads is easy, there's no point in paying a shop to do it

and, use a little "brake lube" on the BACK of the pad and on the caliper slides, just to make sure it works better

"Tutto fa brodo."

Todd Scungio
98 RS
15.173 @ 90.70 MPH

And also a 2011 Ralliart

AaronD95GSFeb-21-02 01:16 PM
Member since Feb 13th 2002
92 posts,
#6822, "RE: changing brake pads & rotors"
In response to Reply # 1

I think the EBC green stuff pads are very good. I have powerstop drilled rotos and pads. I haven't had any trouble with them and they perform much better than stock. The EBC pads are well worth the extra money.

Before I had this car I had money.

DeltaOperativeFeb-21-02 03:41 AM
Old School 2GNTer
220 posts,
#6823, "RE: changing brake pads & rotors"
In response to Reply # 0

I have oversized calipers, that will no fit on with the dust guard, is the gaurd just screwed in ?

Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #6813 Previous topic | Next topic