Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #554
View in linear mode

Subject: "COILOVERS & SHOCKS please read" Previous topic | Next topic
cyanJan-28-01 02:06 PM
Old School 2GNTer
2958 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#554, "COILOVERS & SHOCKS please read"

ok,im about to switch my springs to coilovers, probably maxspeed or weapon-r. i am still on the factory sr=truts and plan to stay that way, but what are your suggestions about this? i will probably drop it to 2.5 or 3" for daily driving. i will also need a front camber kit but i have not found anyone selling a kit for more than 1 degree of adjustment, do any of you know any?
however, i will only be installing the front coilovers, i am happy with the height of my progress springs in the back, so can someone explain the fitment of coilovers with aftermarktet struts? which will fit, which need to be modified and how?
thanks
http://www.geocities.com/blue2gnt

1995 Eclipse GS - HRC Stage 2 - Retired.
2004 350z Enthusiast / 2008 Nissan Versa SL

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: COILOVERS & SHOCKS help me out, cyan, Jan-28-01 03:03 PM, #1
RE: COILOVERS & SHOCKS help me out, eclipse_gs, Jan-29-01 09:24 AM, #2
hey eclipse_gs!, cyan, Jan-29-01 09:57 AM, #3
      RE: hey eclipse_gs!, eclipse_gs, Jan-30-01 05:40 AM, #12
           RE: hey eclipse_gs!, Teameclipse804, Jan-30-01 06:01 AM, #13
                RE: hey eclipse_gs!, eclipse_gs, Jan-30-01 07:14 AM, #14
                     RE: hey eclipse_gs!, Teameclipse804, Jan-30-01 09:30 AM, #15
                          RE: hey eclipse_gs!, eclipse_gs, Jan-30-01 03:33 PM, #17
is it true we don't need to grind front spring perches?, Teameclipse804, Jan-29-01 10:18 AM, #4
      RE: is it true we don't need to grind front spring perches?, cyan, Jan-29-01 10:27 AM, #5
      RE: is it true we don't need to grind front spring perches?, cyan, Jan-29-01 10:30 AM, #6
           RE: is it true we don't need to grind front spring perches?, Will, Jan-29-01 12:08 PM, #7
           RE: is it true we don't need to grind front spring perches?, cyan, Jan-29-01 04:49 PM, #8
           RE: is it true we don't need to grind front spring perches?, Teameclipse804, Jan-29-01 08:06 PM, #10
                RE: is it true we don't need to grind front spring perches?, cyan, Jan-30-01 01:27 AM, #11
FORGET WEAPON - R, Skrilla, Jan-29-01 05:37 PM, #9
coil-overs, ModeratorEvuLFleA, Jan-30-01 03:04 PM, #16
      RE: coil-overs, cyan, Jan-30-01 05:01 PM, #18
           RE: coil-overs, Teamicjeclipse, Jan-31-01 02:43 PM, #19
                RE: coil-overs, Teameclipse804, Jan-31-01 03:59 PM, #20
                     RE: coil-overs, ModeratorEvuLFleA, Feb-01-01 12:21 AM, #21
                          RE: coil-overs, cyan, Feb-04-01 08:22 AM, #22
                               RE: coil-overs, Teameclipse804, Feb-04-01 09:45 AM, #23
                                    RE: coil-overs, TeamStan2gnt, Feb-04-01 05:17 PM, #24
                                         RE: coil-overs, cyan, Feb-05-01 07:17 AM, #25

cyanJan-28-01 03:03 PM
Old School 2GNTer
2958 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#555, "RE: COILOVERS & SHOCKS help me out"
In response to Reply # 0

ok i did a little research and here is what i have come up with:
1st-everyone seems to think that the stock struts wont hold up when lowered, much less when dropped 3". i have been lowered over 2" with my progress springs for two years on the stock struts but i have decided i will change to aftermarket ones with the maxspeed coilovers i get.
2nd-i dont want adjustable shocks, so which non adjustables should i get? i have heard that the KYB AGX raise the front of the car for some of you so i dont want those. i want koni or tokico i think
3rd-im only putting in the front coilovers like i said, and i was told that the front spring perches dont have to be ground off on aftermarket shocks, is this true?
4th-i found ingalls 3 degree front camber kit for $140 pair, so that is taken care of, i just need the info on shocks/struts (which do we have front & back?) and which ones should i go with for about $200 non-adj?

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

eclipse_gsJan-29-01 09:24 AM
Old School 2GNTer
36 posts,
#556, "RE: COILOVERS & SHOCKS help me out"
In response to Reply # 1

first of all, why do you want coil overs only in the front? Wouldnt you want to adjust the height of the entire car? Anyways, I've got KYB GR2 non adjustable's. They work fine, a bit stiffer than stock. got them for about 200 bux for all four. The coil overs I got are from some place called Ricky Racer. They advertise in Sport Compact Car Magazine. Got them for Christmas.

cyanJan-29-01 09:57 AM
Old School 2GNTer
2958 posts,
#557, "hey eclipse_gs!"
In response to Reply # 2

well like i said i only want the coilovers in the front for a few reasons:
1st-i have 19s and the whole car is already dropped 2 inches. a 2" rear drop and 19s do not play well with each other. on medium bumps the tires will hit in the rear, plus its right on the tire as it is, i dont want the rear any lower.
2nd-my friend has arospeed coils on his accord and he dropped the front 2" and the back 1" and it looks fine, he has the ground designs kit which is low as a bitch so he couldnt leave it past 1" in front, the kit is only 1.5" off the ground now and i want mine that way, im jealous of it.
3rd-i cant believe someone actually has tha LO-BOYZ coilovers from ricky racer. do you have the coiover/shock set or just the coilover set? i want to get the full set because they are only $600 for coilovers and shocks. how are the lo-boys (haha) workin out for you so far?
4th-i dont want to deal with cutting the rear spring perches on the shocks, and im not getting koni's so its too much work on install and maintenance without the rear coilovers in.
let me know

eclipse_gsJan-30-01 05:40 AM
Old School 2GNTer
36 posts,
#558, "RE: hey eclipse_gs!"
In response to Reply # 3

Hey Cyan, the Ricky Racer coil overs I've got are working fine. Looks good, rides good. I think its a bit over 1.5 inches down right now....maybe 1.75. Never really measured it. But that is at the maximum height for these coil overs. If I spun the adjustment sleeves on the coil over I might be able to put them a bit higher. As far as the shocks are concerned there was no grinding needed. I've got the non adjustable KYB GR2's. I think the coil overs are selling for about 150 and I got the shocks from NOPI for like 225 or something. Lots less than the 600 Ricky Racer wants for the complete setup. I also trust the KYB's more than some no name shock. Plus this setup rides extremely well. I was expeting a horrible ride but its surprisingly smooth.

Teameclipse804Jan-30-01 06:01 AM
Donating 2GNT member
5174 posts,
#559, "RE: hey eclipse_gs!"
In response to Reply # 12

When you say max height is about 1.5", do you mean that the car can't be dropped any less than that? So if I wanted only a 1" drop it would not be possible? Thanks

eclipse804@hotmail.com
http://importdeals.homestead.com
Import Parts and Performance

2004 WRX - WR Blue Pearl
1997 Eclipse GS - Royal Sapphire Pearl

eclipse_gsJan-30-01 07:14 AM
Old School 2GNTer
36 posts,
#560, "RE: hey eclipse_gs!"
In response to Reply # 13

Yep, cant be lowered much less than what I am at now. Maybe a tad bit under 1.5 inches but thats it.

Teameclipse804Jan-30-01 09:30 AM
Donating 2GNT member
5174 posts,
#561, "RE: hey eclipse_gs!"
In response to Reply # 14

Thanks, what's the lowest drop you can get? 3 inches? ALso, I saw the ad for the LOBOYZ which has an adjustable spring perch for full adjustment. But its pricy at about 350 for a PAIR, not all four. I would want those but I like sticking to more well known and proven setups.

eclipse804@hotmail.com

2004 WRX - WR Blue Pearl

eclipse_gsJan-30-01 03:33 PM
Old School 2GNTer
36 posts,
#562, "RE: hey eclipse_gs!"
In response to Reply # 15

Well, the thing is supposed to have a maximum drop of 3 inches. But it starts with it lowered about 1.5 inches when you install them. So I figure that the maximum this setup will go down is about 4.5 inches!!!

Teameclipse804Jan-29-01 10:18 AM
Donating 2GNT member
5174 posts,
#563, "is it true we don't need to grind front spring perches?"
In response to Reply # 1

Hey Cyan, are you sure that we don't need to grind off the front spring perches with coilovers? If so, that's PERFECT. I myself only want the front coilovers as well, my back height is okay. The KYB Gr2 nonadjustable front shocks ARE shorter than the stock shocks, so maybe grinding off the spring perch isn't necessary on the front? The rear shocks are same height as stock though...

eclipse804@hotmail.com

2004 WRX - WR Blue Pearl

cyanJan-29-01 10:27 AM
Old School 2GNTer
2958 posts,
#564, "RE: is it true we don't need to grind front spring perches?"
In response to Reply # 4

see thats just the thing, i was talking to EvulFlea last night and he said he was pretty sure that you dont have to grind the front perches but then again i think he said he had KYBs.
so whether its just a KYB thing or a front thing altogether im not sure, either way im looking at less money to install just the front if i decide i dont want to do it myself. i probably will do the shock/coil install but i dont know if i can install the camber kit.
maybe we can get a group buy on just 2 coilovers, ha!
if not it would be cool if the front coilovers on some brands were the same as the backs cause we could split the price of 1 set betwen both of us and take two each. hmm,i wonder...
ps-you got an AOL Instant Messenger account? if so i am ThreeRedDiamonds

cyanJan-29-01 10:30 AM
Old School 2GNTer
2958 posts,
#565, "RE: is it true we don't need to grind front spring perches?"
In response to Reply # 4

i do know that because the KYBs are shorter it causes the car to ride higher. think about it, if the bottom of the shock is higher up from the ground, then the spring perch is also higher meaning the coilover itself will sit higher and would only allow about 1-2" of adjustment. im not even sure if grinding the perches on the KYBs will give you the full lowering, i know stan2gnt has the KYBs and said his car is higher in front only

WillJan-29-01 12:08 PM
Old School 2GNTer
153 posts,
#566, "RE: is it true we don't need to grind front spring perches?"
In response to Reply # 6

How are you gonna drive around town with a 3" drop? I mean I have the ProKit 1.5" drop on my car and the front end scrape A LOT.

Will
99 Black GS Sport

----------
Will
99 GS - Sold
05 G35C
2GNT Member #51

cyanJan-29-01 04:49 PM
Old School 2GNTer
2958 posts,
#567, "RE: is it true we don't need to grind front spring perches?"
In response to Reply # 7

same way i do with a 2.5" drop...carefully, like everyone else around here. the two best integ's around here are dropped 5 inches each on Zeal bumpers,mmm,they look good.
(3" drop with my new bumper will put the bumper directly on top of speed bumps so that it will slide right over them with minimal if no scraping at all. i have every other location memorized as to whether i can pull in it or not

Teameclipse804Jan-29-01 08:06 PM
Donating 2GNT member
5174 posts,
#568, "RE: is it true we don't need to grind front spring perches?"
In response to Reply # 6

Hehe good idea about splitting the coilovers....but I don't think it will work. The front are not the same as the back (just like springs and shocks are separated in terms of front and rear). Left and right are interchangeable though.

I'm a little confused right now about whether the shorter shock makes the car ride higher? I'm trying to picture it in my mind...The total height from the top of the shock tower to the bottom where it mounts to the car is fixed right? The height of the spring is what lowers it. I'm not sure, but isn't the bottom of the shock in a fixed location, and the top of it extends to reach the strut tower bolts etc on top? Maybe the spring perch on a shorter shock is adjusted so that the location of the perch is lower?

I'm just confusing myself, but all I know is my front is a lot lower than the rear with the H&R Sport springs...

eclipse804@hotmail.com

2004 WRX - WR Blue Pearl

cyanJan-30-01 01:27 AM
Old School 2GNTer
2958 posts,
#569, "RE: is it true we don't need to grind front spring perches?"
In response to Reply # 10

damn now im confused, i dont fully understand all this either, maybe i can get someone at the place i buy from to explain this all if no one can explain it better here before then

SkrillaJan-29-01 05:37 PM
Donating 2GNT member
1868 posts,
#570, "FORGET WEAPON - R"
In response to Reply # 0

Too many horror stories and poor build quality. Get the Maxspeed, if you're looking for inexpensive ones otherwise go with GC or Skunk2's for good affordable CO's

Skrilla
'97 Base Talon NA
"Technology is the Only Substitute for Displacment"
"Peace and Turbo Grease"

*Skrilla
"Honest officer, I thought you were trying to race me"
Talon: 1st 2.4L
'97 Prelude
'04 350Z

Originally posted by YourInMyMirror95GS
dick teaser's should be rounded up and shot in the forehead
Originally posted by etx
Good luck man! Project 'STFU Brian your talon is dead meat' should be on it's feet soon!
Originally posted by Dark0ne
Thanks. Now excuse me while i fuck your sister.
"fuck all motor" -turbo ate you

ModeratorEvuLFleAJan-30-01 03:04 PM
Old School 2GNTer
9791 posts,
#571, "coil-overs"
In response to Reply # 9

Arent all 4 coil-overs the same.... If so you 2 could just buy a set and split the cost and just use them up front and not have to grind.

------------------------------------------------
98 ESi
95 GS

cyanJan-30-01 05:01 PM
Old School 2GNTer
2958 posts,
#572, "RE: coil-overs"
In response to Reply # 16

they shouldnt all be the same if they use the right size springs. the rear springs have 1 more coil than the front, front has 8 rear has 9.'
however we could do that...being that they are coilovers, we could switch and one of us would be able to go from like .5-3.5" adjustment and the other would be able to go the usual 0-3" adjustment.
the one of us that got the rear springs would have an unexact spring rate though but the springs are both the same height for front and rear. however, the rear spring has a smaller hole at the top so it may not fit on the front, can anyone confirm this?its almost worth it to just buy one set each and try to sell the rears to an ebay sucker

TeamicjeclipseJan-31-01 02:43 PM
Old School 2GNTer
871 posts,
#573, "RE: coil-overs"
In response to Reply # 18

On my Skunkwork coilover's, all the springs are 7 inches.

Ian
95 Eclipse RS
http://www.geocities.com/icjeclipse/index.html

Ian | SoCal | Former 2GNT owner |
2GNT mods & pics: www.go.to/dsmdomination |
email: icjeclipse@earthlink.net |

Teameclipse804Jan-31-01 03:59 PM
Donating 2GNT member
5174 posts,
#574, "RE: coil-overs"
In response to Reply # 19

But are the front and rear different in any way? Does skunkworks label either front or rear? The rates might be different?

eclipse804@hotmail.com

2004 WRX - WR Blue Pearl

ModeratorEvuLFleAFeb-01-01 12:21 AM
Old School 2GNTer
9791 posts,
#575, "RE: coil-overs"
In response to Reply # 20

I thought all 4 were the same on my skunkworks.

------------------------------------------------
98 ESi
95 GS

cyanFeb-04-01 08:22 AM
Old School 2GNTer
2958 posts,
#576, "RE: coil-overs"
In response to Reply # 21

well, my girl just bought me the maxspeeds for valentines day, so when she gives them to me on the 14th, ill take a look at them and give maxspeed a call and whoever it was that said they wanted 2 coilovers can split the set with me if you want. (wasnt it you eclipse804)? someone let me know if they only want to drop one end of their car like he did, ill haev an extra set for like $75

Teameclipse804Feb-04-01 09:45 AM
Donating 2GNT member
5174 posts,
#577, "RE: coil-overs"
In response to Reply # 22

Hey Cyan, ya I was interested in just the front coilovers. let me know what you find out. But the thing is, I'm getting a free set of coilovers, and I'm not sure if they already got it for me. If not, then I can see if I can take the money instead...thanks

eclipse804@hotmail.com

2004 WRX - WR Blue Pearl

TeamStan2gntFeb-04-01 05:17 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2216 posts,
#578, "RE: coil-overs"
In response to Reply # 23

Well the springs on the front and rear coilovers might be the same size (I dont know) but they likely dont have the same spring rate so you still need fronts in front. That poses another problem with coilovers up front and conventional rear springs. You may end up with a poorly balanced set up since they weren't designed with each other in mind (the spring manufacturer may have been ride oriented while the coilover might be biased towards performance. Then you have a comparitavely soft rear and worse understeer than you started with). At least get adjustables if your going to mix and match front and rear spring manufacturers to somewhat tune to your liking. I dont think the size of the strut is the cause of the raised front end. A shorter strut typically has a shorter strut body which on a lower car increases the usable travel (in other words on a stock strut and lowering springs half the travel is taken up when you lower it. On a shortened strut, which are designed to use with shorter springs, its not compressed at lowered heights, hence the civic with TRUE Coilovers, a 3" drop and still plenty of travel and smooth ride. This cant be achieved with slip-overs and struts with nonshortened strut bodies). So a shorter strut shouldn't raise the car at all unless the perches have been moved significantly up on the strut body to achieve more height (which would defeat the purpose, then you'd have travel left in the strut but the suspension would reach full compression before all the strut travel is used up). Kybs probably raise the height due to there higher gas charged pressurization or deficit of the factory struts. My car now sits were its suppose to sit with 1.3" springs. I always wondered why my ST springs sat so much lower than Eibachs Pro-kit and much like sportslines and now I know, shitty factory struts. Whatever the case if you get coilovers you should be able to more than compensate for the slight increase in ride height caused by the struts. I wouldn't mind lowering my front a bit with slip-overs but I need to know the spring is well matched to my rear suspension before making any selection (I dont even like the way the kybs front struts ride. the rear is perfect. I've heard the same complaint of tokicos too about an overly bouncy for performance strut ride).

Stan2gnt
Stan2va@aol.com
95 Talon ES-I-NOS
http://members.nbci.com/FlyEsi/home.htm
You too can have a never updated site complete with old info and dated pics!

:farfrommugen:
Yes I still own a 2gnt.
Damn right I've been here longer than U
klassic_liven@yahoo.com

cyanFeb-05-01 07:17 AM
Old School 2GNTer
2958 posts,
#579, "RE: coil-overs"
In response to Reply # 24

now i understand, ok. i just talked to devon at skunk2 today and he said that he was running the koni yellows with his "slip-over" skunk2s, so with that in mind and what you said stan about the tokicos i will probably end up doing one of two things: 1)i will get the maxspeeds with the konis or i will get the maxspeeds and a new pair of stock front struts and use them for a while (depending on their cost) until i can afford the koni's down the road somewhere. if i do go with the konis it will solve the problem of mismatched spring rates. he also said that all the front struts had to be grinded as well as the rears, except for the yellows

Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #554 Previous topic | Next topic