Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #4045
View in linear mode

Subject: "what size tire will fit....." Previous topic | Next topic
1TuffRSNov-14-01 12:56 PM
Old School 2GNTer
2338 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#4045, "what size tire will fit....."

on the stock 17in GSX rim, I know they are 6.5in wide and wanted to know how wide I could go with those rims.

-Toney
'97 RS 5 Speed
GST exhaust | custom cold air intake | axxis pads | Hurricane_GS shifter | Progress Springs | Rockford Fosgate MP3 Player & Speakers
TDaug@yahoo.com

Toney
'97 RS 5 Speed (totaled)
15.4606@88.42 Mph
96 Toyota Celica GT
88 Toyota Supra NA-T (w/ sports package)
Got Boost?? Hell yeah I-6 turbo powah baby!

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: what size tire will fit....., 1TuffRS, Nov-14-01 04:02 PM, #1
RE: what size tire will fit....., zenkie, Nov-14-01 04:27 PM, #2
      RE: what size tire will fit....., TeamJasonESi_T, Nov-14-01 04:46 PM, #3
           RE: what size tire will fit....., 1TuffRS, Nov-14-01 04:52 PM, #4
                RE: what size tire will fit....., TeamMuRiX, Nov-14-01 11:52 PM, #5
                     RE: what size tire will fit....., Fast420A, Nov-15-01 01:39 AM, #6
                          RE: what size tire will fit....., TeamJasonESi_T, Nov-15-01 02:36 AM, #7
                               RE: what size tire will fit....., TeamMuRiX, Nov-15-01 04:08 AM, #8
                                    RE: what size tire will fit....., fauchpj, Nov-15-01 05:20 AM, #9

1TuffRSNov-14-01 04:02 PM
Old School 2GNTer
2338 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#4046, "RE: what size tire will fit....."
In response to Reply # 0

nevermind, I found a guy who put 225 kumho's on his that is as wide as I want anyway

-Toney
'97 RS 5 Speed
GST exhaust | custom cold air intake | axxis pads | Hurricane_GS shifter | Progress Springs | Rockford Fosgate MP3 Player & Speakers
TDaug@yahoo.com

Toney
'97 RS 5 Speed (totaled)
15.4606@88.42 Mph
96 Toyota Celica GT

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

zenkieNov-14-01 04:27 PM
Old School 2GNTer
69 posts,
#4047, "RE: what size tire will fit....."
In response to Reply # 1

DO NOT GET KUMHO THEY FUCKING SUCK///
HRC STAGE2 TURBO<>

TeamJasonESi_TNov-14-01 04:46 PM
Donating 2GNT member
3107 posts,
#4048, "RE: what size tire will fit....."
In response to Reply # 2

Well, I'm sure many can appreciate your well spoken and eloquently said opinion, but I would differ.

They're certainly not up there with the best performance tires in the world, but they grip well in both dry and wet(especially wet) conditions. Moreover, they grip 100% better than Goodyear RS-A's(in rain probably 500% better), wear extremely well, have a nice tread design, and are a good value.

Many people(like me) just don't have the money for or choose not to spend $150+ for tires that are absolutely fantastic in dry condition performance but only last 10k miles.

Jason
98' Eagle Talon ESi-T
Mitsu Super 16g Turbo(HRC)/Custom FMIC

http://springfielddsm.homestead.com/JasonsPics.html

04' BMW 325Ci
91' Nissan 240SX
98' Eagle Talon ESi (sold)

1TuffRSNov-14-01 04:52 PM
Old School 2GNTer
2338 posts,
#4049, "RE: what size tire will fit....."
In response to Reply # 3

Jason, arent you a Lawyer??? I thought about becoming a lawyer, but I decided to shoot for dental school (wish me luck). Well I have been reading posts here for a while and I think that the general consensus is that for the money kumho's are one hell of a deal.

-Toney
'97 RS 5 Speed
TDaug@yahoo.com

Toney
'97 RS 5 Speed (totaled)
15.4606@88.42 Mph
96 Toyota Celica GT

TeamMuRiXNov-14-01 11:52 PM
Donating 2GNT member
1502 posts,
#4050, "RE: what size tire will fit....."
In response to Reply # 4

A 225 is far too large for the GSX rim. It will fit, but it will bubble. The wheel will not lay flat and this will be detrimental to traction. I would recommend nothing larger than a 215 on that size rim. If you really want a 225 or 235 you really need to go to a 8" rim.

MuRiX
97 Eclipse GS HRC Stage IV+
Sitting and collecting dust most of the time..
A.D.P.
http://www.murix.com

05 Mazda RX-8
06 Lotus Elise

Fast420ANov-15-01 01:39 AM
Old School 2GNTer
4370 posts,
#4051, "RE: what size tire will fit....."
In response to Reply # 5

Could that be my problem Murix? I have 16 x 7 inch rims with 225/50/16's right now. I was going to get 225/40/16 as my next set to change the gearing a little for the 1/4. Do you think they are too wide for the rims?

http://hometown.aol.com/ohshootuhh/

All Motor Beast in need of MAJOR TUNING

Perf:
KYB AGX Struts
Neuspeed Sport Springs
5 Strut Bars (2 F/U, F/L, R/U, R/L)
Sprint Front Camber Kit
$15 Rear Camber Kit
Corbin's A/F Gauge
MSD DIS-2 Ignition System
Some Regrind Cams that need High Compression (which I don't have)
Ported Intake Manifold
Ported Throttle Body
Nameless Cold Air Intake with a K&N Filter
Custom 2 1/2 inch exhaust with Dual DTM Muffler
Empty Catalytic Convertor
Energy Suspension Motor Mount inserts
Hurricane_GS Short Shifter
Symborsky Shift Kit
Clutchmasters Stage 3 Modular
225/50/16inch Wheels and Tires

Audio:
Alpine CD Head Unit
Alpine Flex4 25W X 4 for Fronts and Rears
Alpine V-12 450W X 1 for Subs
Infinity Reference Series 5 1/4 and 1 inch tweeter component systems for fronts and rears
Blaupunkt 3 way 6x9's in the rears
3 MTX 5000 10" 12 ohm subs running 4 ohms mono

Flame Red SRT-4 GT40,8.5:1 Built Shortblock, Brian Crower Stage 2 Cams, etc etc etc...

TeamJasonESi_TNov-15-01 02:36 AM
Donating 2GNT member
3107 posts,
#4052, "RE: what size tire will fit....."
In response to Reply # 6

I don't know the precise problem with using a tire size that barely fits a rim, but I've also heard that generally squeezing 225 tires in 6.5 inch factory rims is tight. Another thing though, many tire manufacturers will differ on what corresponding rim size will suit their 225 tire. I believe, similar to shoes, each tire company differs slightly in size and fit for their particular product. Thus, you may find a tire mfr that can recommend their 225 tire in a 6.5 inch rim.

And yes, I'm an attorney. Go for dental school! The money's certainly better (on average) and the satisfaction of helping people attain better mouth hygiene and aeshetics is admirable, but prepare yourself for a life of screaming kids, bad breath, and yellow teeth!

Jason
98' Eagle Talon ESi-T
Mitsu Super 16g Turbo(HRC)/Custom FMIC

http://springfielddsm.homestead.com/JasonsPics.html

04' BMW 325Ci
91' Nissan 240SX
98' Eagle Talon ESi (sold)

TeamMuRiXNov-15-01 04:08 AM
Donating 2GNT member
1502 posts,
#4053, "RE: what size tire will fit....."
In response to Reply # 7

LAST EDITED ON 15-Nov-01 AT 09:51 AM (PST)

I am trying to think of a good way to describe this. I know. Bear with me here. Imagine you bought a bed frame that is only a full size. You have a mattress that is a queen size. You want to fit that mattress on that frame. In order to do it, you have to stuff it on. You manage to make it fit, but it is not smooth. Instead it bends upwards in the middle to make a curve rather than laying flat. Well, this is sort of what goes on with a tire. The tire contact patch can actually become smaller than having used a smaller diameter tire that would fit properly.

My current setup is 225/45ZR17 on a 17x8.

This being said, the aspect ratio does play a part in what fits what and fitment can change from manufactuer to manufacturer as a 225 from brand x might be smaller than a 225 from brand y. A 225 with a aspect ratio of 50 would have a better chance of fitting a 7" wheel than a 225 with an aspect ratio of 45 so you might be ok with the 225/50-16 on a 7" rim where as I would not on a 45. I still prefer a 215 though. Take a look at what the manufacturer recommends. When you look at the numbers, they will give a range. An easy way to read that range is to assume the narrower rim will provide comfort where as the wider rim will provide handling.

MuRiX
97 Eclipse GS HRC Stage IV+
Sitting and collecting dust most of the time..
A.D.P.
http://www.murix.com

05 Mazda RX-8
06 Lotus Elise

fauchpjNov-15-01 05:20 AM
Donating 2GNT member
4784 posts,
#4054, "RE: what size tire will fit....."
In response to Reply # 8

i think the stock is 215/50/17 maybe 215/45/17

96 RS

Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #4045 Previous topic | Next topic