Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 2 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #33847
View in linear mode

Subject: "Anyone do the ball joint recall recently?" Previous topic | Next topic
ezAug-05-15 10:26 PM
Old School 2GNTer
3461 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#33847, "Anyone do the ball joint recall recently?"

It's been stated here previously that by law, Mitsubishi has to replace the front lower balljoints and not simply inspect them. Reading the official NHTSA recall, it sounds like they could do either, but I'm hardly fluent in legalese. My balljoints were inspected a few years back by the dealer but were never replaced. Now my car is 16 years old, and I see play in both balljoints. I understand that the recalls exist indefinitely - so has anyone had luck with dealer replacements recently?

2gnt: '99 RS-T, killed by a toyota, pending rebuild...
Daily: Volt
Daily #2: '99 EVG ebike- STOLEN by PEDRO

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: Anyone do the ball joint recall recently?, J, Aug-07-15 10:54 AM, #1
RE: Anyone do the ball joint recall recently?, AdministratorStar Turbo Talon, Aug-15-15 11:47 PM, #2
RE: Anyone do the ball joint recall recently?, John99RS, Aug-16-15 05:19 PM, #3
RE: Anyone do the ball joint recall recently?, ez, Aug-16-15 11:03 PM, #4
      RE: Anyone do the ball joint recall recently?, J, Aug-18-15 09:19 AM, #5
           RE: Anyone do the ball joint recall recently?, ez, Aug-24-15 10:38 AM, #6

JAug-07-15 10:54 AM
Old School 2GNTer
794 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#33848, "RE: Anyone do the ball joint recall recently?"
In response to Reply # 0

Last I went to satan (been a couple years), they said they don't even carry our parts anymore... under any part number (Mitsu/Dodge/Chrysler). So I would be extremely shocked that they would do anything.

- J

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

AdministratorStar Turbo TalonAug-15-15 11:47 PM
Member since Oct 21st 2003
8331 posts,
#33849, "RE: Anyone do the ball joint recall recently?"
In response to Reply # 1

I doubt the legal obligation is an indefinite time frame. At 16 years....your screwed.

John99RSAug-16-15 05:19 PM
Donating 2GNT member
1191 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list facebook
#33850, "RE: Anyone do the ball joint recall recently?"
In response to Reply # 0

I was in the dealer years ago for a transmission flush and they replaced mine without even telling me per the recall. I noticed after looking at the service ticket when I got home. If I remember right, they oem dealer control arms are only $40 each. I've also replaced them myself a couple years ago while dealing with suspension noises.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3130861

ezAug-16-15 11:03 PM
Old School 2GNTer
3461 posts,
#33851, "RE: Anyone do the ball joint recall recently?"
In response to Reply # 3

Thanks guys. Had some health issues recently so I couldn't fix things myself, so the recall option was worth a shot. I called up the local Mitsu dealer and they said there weren't any open recalls on my car. I wasn't sure if dealers even carried parts for our cars anymore.

I ordered MOOG replacements from rockauto and they look nice. I've removed both bolts from these arms when replacing axles, but never removed the balljoint nut. Hopefully it's not too difficult.

JAug-18-15 09:19 AM
Old School 2GNTer
794 posts,
#33852, "RE: Anyone do the ball joint recall recently?"
In response to Reply # 4

Nope, not difficult at all... just get a ball joint separator from Harbor Freight for like ~$15 and it just pops right off easy!

- J

ezAug-24-15 10:38 AM
Old School 2GNTer
3461 posts,
#33853, "RE: Anyone do the ball joint recall recently?"
In response to Reply # 5

You are right, it wasn't too bad. Didn't use a ball joint separator though, just a big hammer and channeled anger.

Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #33847 Previous topic | Next topic