Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 3 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #33837
View in linear mode

Subject: "Noisy struts." Previous topic | Next topic
John99RSJul-16-14 04:48 PM
Donating 2GNT member
1191 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list facebook
#33837, "Noisy struts."

Anyone ever had or heard of the struts actually making noise after time? I've got a set of Tokico Blues (14 years now) and one of them seems like it squeaks bad when compressed or when turning the steering wheel. Showed it to a few people and they say it's the strut and not any ball joint or bushings.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3130861

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: Noisy struts., Th3DooM, Jul-17-14 12:15 AM, #1
RE: Noisy struts., Moderatorxcasbonx, Jul-17-14 07:57 AM, #2
      RE: Noisy struts., John99RS, Jul-17-14 10:43 AM, #3
           RE: Noisy struts., Moderatorxcasbonx, Jul-17-14 11:24 AM, #4
                RE: Noisy struts., John99RS, Jul-19-14 04:32 PM, #5
                     RE: Noisy struts., dalesmitsu, Oct-04-14 01:19 PM, #6

Th3DooMJul-17-14 12:15 AM
Member since Jan 11th 2013
18 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list facebook
#33838, "RE: Noisy struts."
In response to Reply # 0

How does it sound exactly? I think I have a similar squeaking noise, especially when taking corners with low speed (about 10-20 mph) or when driving over bumps (then it's more like a "wooosh". I checked every bushing and bearing but I couldn't find a problem.

420a in Europe

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

ModeratorxcasbonxJul-17-14 07:57 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2874 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#33839, "RE: Noisy struts."
In response to Reply # 1

John,

If it's in the rear I would take a look up top around where the insulator and rubber bushing/pad are at. You might find something peculiar in that area.

On my old 2g, I actually had the metal insulator rust from the inside out and break loose with the strut still bolted down in the middle.

I contributed to the Wiki.

John99RSJul-17-14 10:43 AM
Donating 2GNT member
1191 posts,
#33840, "RE: Noisy struts."
In response to Reply # 2

It's not in the rear at all, only the right front. I can push down on the car when sitting still and it also makes the noise. When traveling slow through parking lots or when parking in the garage it does it when turning the steering wheel. It's really hard to describe the sound without actually hearing it. Its like a creaking/whining sound I guess. My friend and I have checked all bushings and ball joints and he thinks it's the shock shaft because of the sound.

ModeratorxcasbonxJul-17-14 11:24 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2874 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#33841, "RE: Noisy struts."
In response to Reply # 3
Jul-17-14 11:25 AM by xcasbonx

The way you're describing that sound it sounds like it could be the infamous lower lateral arm balljoint.

Again, old talon I had, made a similar noise like that. Low speed, every turn, screeeeech, squeeeeeek. One day in my driveway went to turn and the balljoint separated, bent the arm, and popped the axle out of the trans.

Long story short, I made the dealer replace all of it on their accord since they had "checked them" before this and just put some sealant on the bottoms of them. That was back in 02...damn.

Then again, it could just be a worn out shock.

I contributed to the Wiki.

John99RSJul-19-14 04:32 PM
Donating 2GNT member
1191 posts,
#33842, "RE: Noisy struts."
In response to Reply # 4
Jul-19-14 04:33 PM by John99RS

Nope, replaced those last year. The recall was done years ago, however, I replaced them again because of another suspension noise I was having. That noise was never really found, it just went away a couple months ago..hehe.

Yeah, I'm thinking it's a worn shock.

dalesmitsuOct-04-14 01:19 PM
Member since May 13th 2006
986 posts,
#33843, "RE: Noisy struts."
In response to Reply # 5

Do you mean the top shock absorber bushing

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/parts/1995-Mitsubishi-Eclipse/Shock-Absorber-Bushing/_/N-j1merZ8oz52

I have a 1995 gs also,just picked it up. It drove fine home today it started making noise something hitting my strut towers back & forth.

My balljoints & tie rods are good.

Could this be the same noise, you are hearing.

Do you guys know of a good place for tokico blues or kyb agx prices less than autozone.

__
1995 gs Saved from the crusher
1998 RS gone to(Dsm Heaven)
1997 gs gone to Dsm heaven

Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #33837 Previous topic | Next topic