Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 3 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #33739
View in linear mode

Subject: "3G/avenger rear suspension conversion. Will the rear link(the one with ball joint) fit?" Previous topic | Next topic
gramozekaNov-15-12 01:13 PM
Member since Aug 16th 2005
327 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#33739, "3G/avenger rear suspension conversion. Will the rear link(the one with ball joint) fit?"

So I found a 3G eclipse in a local junk yard. I want to do a sway bar install on my Talon. The question is due to the mileage on my car I am thinking about updating other components. For now all I read was that the lower and upper control arms are a direct bolt on as well as sway bar. What about the rear link(part with ball joint) is that swappable too?

Another question can the rear suspension be swapped in from avenger(in case 3g eclipse I saw in junk yard does not have rear sway bar?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
98 Stock Talon ESi
Mods: New spark Plugs NGK, Fresh ATF, K&N, AGX, UDP and ZipTies tieing the strut towers (according to BlackMagic increases my torsional rigidity)
I know spark plugs are not a mod but the car runs so smooth now.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: 3G/avenger rear suspension conversion. Will the rear link(the one with ball joint) fit?, Grothe3297avenger, Nov-16-12 06:25 PM, #1
RE: 3G/avenger rear suspension conversion. Will the rear link(the one with ball joint) fit?, gramozeka, Nov-17-12 07:12 AM, #2
      RE: 3G/avenger rear suspension conversion. Will the rear link(the one with ball joint) fit?, PsychO, Nov-17-12 09:00 AM, #3
           RE: 3G/avenger rear suspension conversion. Will the rear link(the one with ball joint) fit?, gramozeka, Nov-17-12 12:10 PM, #4
                RE: 3G/avenger rear suspension conversion. Will the rear link(the one with ball joint) fit?, PsychO, Nov-18-12 06:22 PM, #5
                     RE: 3G/avenger rear suspension conversion. Will the rear link(the one with ball joint) fit?, gramozeka, Nov-18-12 08:44 PM, #6
                          RE: 3G/avenger rear suspension conversion. Will the rear link(the one with ball joint) fit?, PsychO, Nov-19-12 06:45 PM, #7
                               RE: 3G/avenger rear suspension conversion. Will the rear link(the one with ball joint) fit?, Moderatorbullettdsm, Nov-21-12 11:14 AM, #8
                                    RE: 3G/avenger rear suspension conversion. Will the rear link(the one with ball joint) fit?, iamnotwhoiam, Nov-21-12 01:08 PM, #9
                                         RE: 3G/avenger rear suspension conversion. Will the rear link(the one with ball joint) fit?, Moderatorbullettdsm, Nov-23-12 07:30 AM, #10
                                              RE: 3G/avenger rear suspension conversion. Will the rear link(the one with ball joint) fit?, gramozeka, Nov-23-12 08:26 AM, #11
                                                   RE: 3G/avenger rear suspension conversion. Will the rear link(the one with ball joint) fit?, PsychO, Nov-23-12 04:09 PM, #12
                                                        RE: 3G/avenger rear suspension conversion. Will the rear link(the one with ball joint) fit?, Moderatorbullettdsm, Nov-24-12 05:39 AM, #13

Grothe3297avengerNov-16-12 06:25 PM
Member since Feb 25th 2011
31 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#33740, "RE: 3G/avenger rear suspension conversion. Will the rear link(the one with ball joint) fit?"
In response to Reply # 0

I know parts from the avenger is a direct swap with an eclipse. Also I have 3G upper control arms in the rear of my avenger, not sure what else works.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

gramozekaNov-17-12 07:12 AM
327 posts,
#33741, "RE: 3G/avenger rear suspension conversion. Will the rear link(the one with ball joint) fit?"
In response to Reply # 1

Thanks for your input.

I am getting an entire rear suspension from 3G, will there be anymore input from other members? I need to know now since the rubber boots on my rear links(part with balljoint)are completely broken the balljoint itself still has no play so I am looking to replace the whole part/boot b4 it's too late.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
98 Stock Talon ESi
Mods: New spark Plugs NGK, Fresh ATF, K&N, AGX, UDP and ZipTies tieing the strut towers (according to BlackMagic increases my torsional rigidity)

PsychONov-17-12 09:00 AM
Member since Jun 10th 2004
166 posts,
#33742, "RE: 3G/avenger rear suspension conversion. Will the rear link(the one with ball joint) fit?"
In response to Reply # 2

I have a 3G sway bar on my avenger. You have to either 1) make a 1/2" spacer where the sway bar mounts to the subframe or 2) swap to a 3G rear subframe.

I'd personally do #1. If not, the sway bar will not clear the raised edges of the subframe.

And this also using 3G lower control arms.

gramozekaNov-17-12 12:10 PM
327 posts,
#33743, "RE: 3G/avenger rear suspension conversion. Will the rear link(the one with ball joint) fit?"
In response to Reply # 3
Nov-17-12 12:15 PM by gramozeka

spacers..that is disappointing. I though I read somewhere that the stabilizer is a direct drop in with arms offcourse. The only modification needed is enlarging holes on the stabilizer bracket.

Edit
Here is a link where I read about this stuff http://www.mitsu-media.com/showthread.php?t=689

The question still stands will the link with ball joint fit?

98 Stock Talon ESi

PsychONov-18-12 06:22 PM
166 posts,
#33744, "RE: 3G/avenger rear suspension conversion. Will the rear link(the one with ball joint) fit?"
In response to Reply # 4
Nov-18-12 06:24 PM by PsychO

The rear subframes are the same, minus that spacer for the sway bar.

The rear knuckles are the same, except they use a smaller diameter wheel bearing.

I would like to say yes. I'd personally build customs ones and not look back at the OEM ones.

Here is a picture of mine:

gramozekaNov-18-12 08:44 PM
327 posts,
#33745, "RE: 3G/avenger rear suspension conversion. Will the rear link(the one with ball joint) fit?"
In response to Reply # 5

Nice pictures, thank you for that. Just have to get the right price for the components.

How does the link in your set up work. That ball joint is open to the elements, how long will it last?

98 Stock Talon ESi

PsychONov-19-12 06:45 PM
166 posts,
#33746, "RE: 3G/avenger rear suspension conversion. Will the rear link(the one with ball joint) fit?"
In response to Reply # 6

It's Teflon lined. It's been on the car for about 5 years, 3 of which on the road. I inspect them periodically and all good so far.

As long as you use quality bearings, like Aurora.

ModeratorbullettdsmNov-21-12 11:14 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2676 posts,
#33747, "RE: 3G/avenger rear suspension conversion. Will the rear link(the one with ball joint) fit?"
In response to Reply # 7

.....and I thank you guys very much for bringing this up. You see I did a write up on installing a 3g rear in a 2g but I never got around to loading it up and putting in pics. Forgot all about it. This reminded me of what a moron I am, so I just loaded her up in the wiki;

http://www.2gnt.com/index.php?d=3G_Rear_Suspension_Installed_in_a_2G

Thanks for the reminder

Captain Caveman

96 RS Turbo 11.414 @ 119.62 MSNS, Crower 2 NA cams, BW366, 10.5 comp, UDP, 60mm TB, W/A intercooler, 3.55 tranny 567.9whp 430tq
97 RS NA 13.188 @ 103.87 MSnS powered 12.5 comp, Crower 3's and 219.4whp with 175tq
98 RS DD 12.5 comp on stock ECU, LTH, Crower 2's, Koni, GC, Hypercoil, DG hats
99 OZ 5sp Stocker 15.856 @ 85.97
99 GS stocker auto 17.7@77mph!

wiki home page:http://www.2gnt.com/index.php?d=bullettdsm

iamnotwhoiamNov-21-12 01:08 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2361 posts,
#33749, "RE: 3G/avenger rear suspension conversion. Will the rear link(the one with ball joint) fit?"
In response to Reply # 8

Now... Can one use the lower 3g tube arms and a 2g sway bar?

-Jason

97 Talon ESi-T (forever in progress...)

95 GS (Gone)
16.74@83.18mph
119.8 whp - 113.3 lbs/ft

2GNT #677
My Wiki Page: www.2gnt.com/index.php?d=Iamnotwhoiam
Pictures: http://picasaweb.google.com/iamnotwhoiam/Talon/

ModeratorbullettdsmNov-23-12 07:30 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2676 posts,
#33750, "RE: 3G/avenger rear suspension conversion. Will the rear link(the one with ball joint) fit?"
In response to Reply # 9

Originally posted by iamnotwhoiam
Now... Can one use the lower 3g tube arms and a 2g sway bar?

Dunno, but if you look through the link I posted in the wiki (and the other links in it), You may be able to do a visual off the pics in there.

Captain Caveman

96 RS Turbo 11.414 @ 119.62 MSNS, Crower 2 NA cams, BW366, 10.5 comp, UDP, 60mm TB, W/A intercooler, 3.55 tranny 567.9whp 430tq
97 RS NA 13.188 @ 103.87 MSnS powered 12.5 comp, Crower 3's and 219.4whp with 175tq

gramozekaNov-23-12 08:26 AM
327 posts,
#33751, "RE: 3G/avenger rear suspension conversion. Will the rear link(the one with ball joint) fit?"
In response to Reply # 10

Looks like more work than I bargained for. Need a way around those spacers for sway bar, press and sawzall.

98 Stock Talon ESi

PsychONov-23-12 04:09 PM
166 posts,
#33752, "RE: 3G/avenger rear suspension conversion. Will the rear link(the one with ball joint) fit?"
In response to Reply # 11

Originally posted by gramozeka
Looks like more work than I bargained for. Need a way around those spacers for sway bar, press and sawzall.

You don't need the press and the sawzall for the sway bar install, just the spacers. And those are just about a 1/2" worth of metal stock with two holes drilled through it.

ModeratorbullettdsmNov-24-12 05:39 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2676 posts,
#33753, "RE: 3G/avenger rear suspension conversion. Will the rear link(the one with ball joint) fit?"
In response to Reply # 12

Originally posted by PsychO
Originally posted by gramozeka Looks like more work than I bargained for. Need a way around those spacers for sway bar, press and sawzall.
You don't need the press and the sawzall for the sway bar install, just the spacers. And those are just about a 1/2" worth of metal stock with two holes drilled through it.

Yup, the press and sawzall are just for replacing bushings. The modification you are doing is making two spacers for the crossmember (which measured out to 7/8").

Captain Caveman

Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #33739 Previous topic | Next topic