Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 1 User in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #33685
View in linear mode

Subject: "Steering issue" Previous topic | Next topic
toueeyoreeyangJun-13-12 06:14 AM
Member since Mar 19th 2012
9 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#33685, "Steering issue"

Looked around and needed an answer to this one. So I drove to my inlaws after work and as I was exiting off the freeway I hit a hole so big it made my horn go off. Anyways, as I pulled to the curb at their house I parked and turned my wheel towards the curb and I felt a pop in the steering wheel. My steering wheel can now turn forever with no resistance and the wheels don't move. Querstion is, did the rack and pinion go or is it just the pinion? Can one be replaced without replacing the other? Seems like a headache but fixable just by lifting the front? Any write ups on replacing one? Need help!

Gonna boost it baby!

98 GS

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: Steering issue, AdministratorCODE4, Jun-13-12 07:04 AM, #1
RE: Steering issue, toueeyoreeyang, Jun-13-12 07:51 AM, #2
RE: Steering issue, toueeyoreeyang, Jun-14-12 07:02 AM, #3
RE: Steering issue, AdministratorCODE4, Jun-14-12 07:06 AM, #4
      RE: Steering issue, toueeyoreeyang, Jun-14-12 07:14 AM, #5
      RE: Steering issue, toueeyoreeyang, Jun-23-12 05:39 AM, #6
RE: Steering issue, toueeyoreeyang, Jun-26-12 06:14 AM, #7
RE: Steering issue, toueeyoreeyang, Jun-29-12 01:39 PM, #8

AdministratorCODE4Jun-13-12 07:04 AM
Member since Nov 23rd 2003
2552 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#33686, "RE: Steering issue"
In response to Reply # 0

Check where the steering shaft enters the rack. See if there is a disconnect when the wheel is turned. Have you checked your tie rods?

It is easier to remove & replace it rather than remove and rebuild.

---

2012 2500HD LML

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

toueeyoreeyangJun-13-12 07:51 AM
9 posts,
#33687, "RE: Steering issue"
In response to Reply # 1

Going to go and check that today after work. Don't think it's the tie rods because I lifted the front off the ground and it is now on jack stands and as I turn the wheels by hand both wheels turned left and right. The steering shaft turns all the way down into the firewall as I turn the steering wheel. Happened late so I didn't get a lot of time to look at her yesterday. Was able to take the steering wheel apart to check if it was that and it wasn't but broke the housing for the clock spring in the steering coloum so gonna have to get a new one of those, and removed the tires.

Gonna boost it baby!

98 GS

toueeyoreeyangJun-14-12 07:02 AM
9 posts,
#33688, "RE: Steering issue"
In response to Reply # 0

I couldn't see down past the firewall after taking off the metal and rubber cover at the bottom of the shaft. I took apart the steering wheel console down to the shaft so I would have some room to look down but still can't fit. Did find out there is an aftermarket car alarm system installed that is now just dead weight because there is no remote for it. Anyways, the shaft spins free and the wheels don't turn. I think I may have to take off the rack just see if their is an issue with the bearing........ No connection down there somewhere....

Gonna boost it baby!

98 GS

AdministratorCODE4Jun-14-12 07:06 AM
Member since Nov 23rd 2003
2552 posts,
#33689, "RE: Steering issue"
In response to Reply # 3

Why bother with tearing apart the column? Pop the hood, and check the steering shaft as it mates to the rack and do a turn test there. There is a small U-joint around there - check that.

You are creating too much work for yourself. Do not remove the rack until you are absolutely sure.

---

2012 2500HD LML

toueeyoreeyangJun-14-12 07:14 AM
9 posts,
#33690, "RE: Steering issue"
In response to Reply # 4
Jun-14-12 07:14 AM by toueeyoreeyang

Didn't even think of that! BRILLIANT! Going home to do that later!

Thanks

Gonna boost it baby!

98 GS

toueeyoreeyangJun-23-12 05:39 AM
9 posts,
#33705, "RE: Steering issue"
In response to Reply # 4
Jun-23-12 05:40 AM by toueeyoreeyang

So I checked and it was the connection from the shaft to the rack. Thank goodness. Now here is my question.... There is a little bolt that tightens the u-joint to the rack. I didn't see a nut on the other side of the bolt. Is there supposed to be a nut there? The bolt tightened up pretty well but I feel almost scared thinking that if there should be a nut on the other side, that it may come loose again if I were to hit a bump. My biggest fear is that it comes loose doing 60.

Gonna boost it baby!

98 GS

toueeyoreeyangJun-26-12 06:14 AM
9 posts,
#33706, "RE: Steering issue"
In response to Reply # 0

I found it on the PNC look up and it does need a nut. Thanks for the help!

Gonna boost it baby!

98 GS

toueeyoreeyangJun-29-12 01:39 PM
9 posts,
#33709, "RE: Steering issue"
In response to Reply # 7

So I thought I had it...... I drove about a block and a half and the steering went out again. Slowly had to push it back..... After further inspection, I found that the part that connects the shaft to the rack is stripped. It doesn't matter how tight I tighten the bolt, the wheel will only turn a little bit before it slips and keeps turning. Can I replace that part only or do I have to replace the part of the shaft or the whole thing? Looks like I can't take that small part off and the U joint doesn't seem to be able to be taken apart..... Do I have to replace the entire lower joint assembly? What a headache! Gotta love the car huh?

Sorry for all the questions and thanks in advance.

Gonna boost it baby!

98 GS

Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #33685 Previous topic | Next topic