Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #33671
View in linear mode

Subject: "shaking in front end" Previous topic | Next topic
predsfan029Jun-10-12 02:53 PM
Member since Feb 19th 2011
29 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#33671, "shaking in front end"
Jun-10-12 09:01 PM by predsfan029

over the last 6 months or so i have had a shake/vibration in the front end. at first i thought it was just my tires, but after replacing all four it is still there and has gotten worst in the last 2 months. it is really noticable when i accelerate real hard. i am thinking it is in the steering rack but just wanted to see if anyone have any ideas that maybe i havnt thought of.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: shaking in front end, AdministratorCODE4, Jun-10-12 07:33 PM, #1
RE: shaking in front end, predsfan029, Jun-10-12 09:06 PM, #2
      RE: shaking in front end, electrohead, Jun-15-12 11:27 PM, #3
      RE: shaking in front end, predsfan029, Jun-16-12 06:00 AM, #4
           RE: shaking in front end, ez, Jun-16-12 12:34 PM, #5
      RE: shaking in front end, Babbz413, Jun-19-12 07:43 PM, #6
           RE: shaking in front end, fast420a83, Jul-17-12 08:17 PM, #7
                RE: shaking in front end, predsfan029, Jul-17-12 08:27 PM, #8
                     RE: shaking in front end, fast420a83, Jul-17-12 09:19 PM, #9

AdministratorCODE4Jun-10-12 07:33 PM
Member since Nov 23rd 2003
2552 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#33672, "RE: shaking in front end"
In response to Reply # 0

Have you bothered with an alignment?

Inspect tie rods/control arms/bushings/rack?

---

2012 2500HD LML

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

predsfan029Jun-10-12 09:06 PM
29 posts,
#33673, "RE: shaking in front end"
In response to Reply # 1

the alignment is good. at lower speeds, you can let the wheel go and it dosnt vere of at all and it looks like the bushings and everything is good. im starting to think its the rack. can the inner tie rods be replaced? is so i may have to look into that before i decide to jus replace the rack

electroheadJun-15-12 11:27 PM
Member since Dec 13th 2009
182 posts,
#33696, "RE: shaking in front end"
In response to Reply # 2

I had this issue 5 or 6 years ago. I checked tires, wheels, alignment, suspension components, ect. I even thought my tranny was toasted. It ended up being the inner cv joints. I had a garage check them when my car was on the lift and I was told everything was fine. I told them to change the half axles anyway, and the inners literally fell apart during the removal. That was the first time I've seen that happen. That could have caused some serious damage if they fell apart while I was driving. Your half axles may be fine, but it wouldn't hurt checking. Just my .02

predsfan029Jun-16-12 06:00 AM
29 posts,
#33697, "RE: shaking in front end"
In response to Reply # 3

Originally posted by electrohead
I had this issue 5 or 6 years ago. I checked tires, wheels, alignment, suspension components, ect. I even thought my tranny was toasted. It ended up being the inner cv joints. I had a garage check them when my car was on the lift and I was told everything was fine. I told them to change the half axles anyway, and the inners literally fell apart during the removal. That was the first time I've seen that happen. That could have caused some serious damage if they fell apart while I was driving. Your half axles may be fine, but it wouldn't hurt checking. Just my .02

i dont think its the axels. i noticed a few days ago that at when im accelerating at lower rpm's, it shakes real bad. im starting to think that its a bad motor mount. thats the only thing i can think that will cause it to shake like this. just cruising down the road, it could def be mistaken for a wheel/wheels that need to be balenced, but when i down shift and accelerate, it gets real bad. but the other day when i was leaving work, when i took off, it started shaking even worst and started to get better as the rpms went up. im going to check all the mounts today and report back so if anyone is having similar issues, maybe this will help.

ezJun-16-12 12:34 PM
Old School 2GNTer
3461 posts,
#33698, "RE: shaking in front end"
In response to Reply # 4

If it shakes the entire time you accelerate, it's an axle. If shakes momentarily just as you start accelerating, but then is relatively smooth for the rest of the acceleration, it's your motor mount.

2gnt: '99 RS-T, killed by a toyota, pending rebuild...
Daily: Volt
Daily #2: '99 EVG ebike- STOLEN by PEDRO

Babbz413Jun-19-12 07:43 PM
Member since Mar 18th 2009
260 posts,
#33699, "RE: shaking in front end"
In response to Reply # 2

Originally posted by predsfan029
the alignment is good. at lower speeds, you can let the wheel go and it dosnt vere of at all and it looks like the bushings and everything is good. im starting to think its the rack. can the inner tie rods be replaced? is so i may have to look into that before i decide to jus replace the rack

Alignment can be off and still hold a straight line. Have you inspected the insides of your rims? I once caked a bunch of mud inside of them which threw my balance off completely and lead to shaking.

95 GS Boosted

fast420a83Jul-17-12 08:17 PM
Member since Mar 18th 2012
86 posts,
#33710, "RE: shaking in front end"
In response to Reply # 6

Hey, just throwing this out there cause I don't know if you found out why your front end shakes, but I would check to see if you rotors are warped. Thats a symptom of shaking and vibration.

Double check all your coolant and oil lines....., before you take off and see a cloud of smoke behind you!

predsfan029Jul-17-12 08:27 PM
29 posts,
#33711, "RE: shaking in front end"
In response to Reply # 7

Originally posted by fast420a83
Hey, just throwing this out there cause I don't know if you found out why your front end shakes, but I would check to see if you rotors are warped. Thats a symptom of shaking and vibration.

if it was the rotors you would really feel it when you are braking and mine dosnt do that but i replaced the driver side axle and that ended up fixing it. it started to get real bad and i could tell that the shaking was coming from the drivers side. before it just felt like the whole front end. replaced the axle and no more vibrations!!

fast420a83Jul-17-12 09:19 PM
Member since Mar 18th 2012
86 posts,
#33712, "RE: shaking in front end"
In response to Reply # 8

Good job. Glad you figured it out!

Double check all your coolant and oil lines....., before you take off and see a cloud of smoke behind you!

Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #33671 Previous topic | Next topic