Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 1 User in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #33621
View in linear mode

Subject: "cross threading steering shaft bolt after install" Previous topic | Next topic
papajohnspimpApr-02-12 12:12 AM
Member since Apr 01st 2012
11 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#33621, "cross threading steering shaft bolt after install"

Hi I'm new to the Mitsubishi world, I found a 1995 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS for 400$ with a spun rod bearing last summer and decided to pick it up and put her back on the road. After reading through the "proper rebuild" so many times my eyes would bleed I got the car up and running and have been driving it for about 2 - 3 weeks. There have been a multitude of problems but I have steadily been chipping away at them until the most recent.

I replaced the rack and pinion today and after everything was put back and bolted in, when I put the bolt in the steering shaft knuckle it strips it. I went out to get a couple more bolts just to see if it would keep doing it and it wasn't a fluke. Its destroyed 2 bolts now and I can't take her on a victory test drive (I've been driving without power steering for 2 weeks now without a/c, I live in Oklahoma) this is very upsetting. The knuckle looks like its down all the way there is a little gap in between the rack and the knuckle but I can hardly see any splines at all. The bolt came out with little problem and I don't know what to do... Also the steering wheel is off and didn't know if there is a certain way the two have to meet (some sort of keyway?)

I apologize for the novel and thank anyone for their response

Mark

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

junkyarddsmApr-03-12 09:53 AM
Member since Nov 08th 2010
75 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#33622, "RE: cross threading steering shaft bolt after install"
In response to Reply # 0
Apr-03-12 09:54 AM by junkyarddsm

You could try buying a tap (same size as the bolt) and tapping the hole out depending on how bad it is. I Had that happen when I put my udp on I killed 2 bolts before I bout a 6$ tap and it fixed it in a heart beat. If you do go this way just make sure you take it easy on the tap, have you have every tryed to drill one out once you've broken it it is HARD!

If all failes for you text miller import they have everything for 2gnt's and at great prices plus very fast shipping.

Finish? What is this "finish" you speak of sir? Dsm's are never complete just temporarily put together.

97 eclipse gone but never forgotten Ill miss you money pit.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

papajohnspimpApr-08-12 02:21 PM
Member since Apr 01st 2012
11 posts,
#33623, "RE: cross threading steering shaft bolt after install"
In response to Reply # 1

I ended up drilling out the threads and putting a longer bolt with a nut on the end of it. I've been driving it for about 1 week now and have had an alignment and all is golden.

Thank you for your help

Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #33621 Previous topic | Next topic