Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 3 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #33610
View in linear mode

Subject: "list of issues becoming longer and longer" Previous topic | Next topic
driverx08Mar-22-12 08:34 AM
Member since Mar 20th 2012
9 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#33610, "list of issues becoming longer and longer"

removing engine and tranny for a full engine build and cannot, cannot, cannot get the cv's out of the wheel bearings ... i know i dont need to but im looking to replace them anyways ... and my friend as already gone about *ucking up the end of one with a hammer ... even thought he knows you cant do that ... rusted in place and id rather not pull the knuckles and press them out ...

Ride it hard and put it away wet.

I fix it to abuse it, and abuse it till i find the next weakest link.... my wallet

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: list of issues becoming longer and longer, Wes Tank, Mar-22-12 08:39 AM, #1
RE: list of issues becoming longer and longer, Dstach, Mar-22-12 11:26 AM, #2
      RE: list of issues becoming longer and longer, Wes Tank, Mar-22-12 11:40 AM, #3
           RE: list of issues becoming longer and longer, driverx08, Mar-27-12 02:29 PM, #4
                RE: list of issues becoming longer and longer, PsychO, Mar-29-12 05:25 AM, #5
                     RE: list of issues becoming longer and longer, Moderatorbullettdsm, Mar-30-12 01:10 AM, #6
                          RE: list of issues becoming longer and longer, driverx08, Mar-30-12 07:11 AM, #7
                               RE: list of issues becoming longer and longer, Dstach, Mar-30-12 07:15 AM, #8

Wes TankMar-22-12 08:39 AM
Member since Oct 13th 2006
214 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#33611, "RE: list of issues becoming longer and longer"
In response to Reply # 0

Torch and an air hammer.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

DstachMar-22-12 11:26 AM
Member since Dec 04th 2010
276 posts,
#33612, "RE: list of issues becoming longer and longer"
In response to Reply # 1

Originally posted by Wes Tank
Torch and an air hammer.

NOOO.If you don't need it replaced,leave it in. You can take it out as one piece. There are only a few bolts. Mine would not come out. Just leave it in there. Mine have been that way for over a year and no problem at all.

-----
99 Eclipse gs (Daily)
89 Honda Crx (Drag car project)

Wes TankMar-22-12 11:40 AM
Member since Oct 13th 2006
214 posts,
#33613, "RE: list of issues becoming longer and longer"
In response to Reply # 2

I've only had to do that once with a torch and air hammer. It worked out good and didn't damage anything. Heated up the spline area of the hub and used a blunt tip on the hammer and placed it in the dimple on the end of the shaft.

driverx08Mar-27-12 02:29 PM
9 posts,
#33616, "RE: list of issues becoming longer and longer"
In response to Reply # 3

well thanks for the help and i figure that out too late that i could pull the whole assembly cause now i HAVE to remove it ... peened over the end and the nut cant go on now ... :/ ill try the other method ... if it works great if not i have a parts car

I fix it to abuse it, and abuse it till i find the next weakest link.... my wallet

PsychOMar-29-12 05:25 AM
Member since Jun 10th 2004
166 posts,
#33617, "RE: list of issues becoming longer and longer"
In response to Reply # 4

Try this tool:

Hub puller

If not, you'll have to remove the wheel bearing and axle together and replace both.

ModeratorbullettdsmMar-30-12 01:10 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2676 posts,
#33618, "RE: list of issues becoming longer and longer"
In response to Reply # 5

Originally posted by PsychO
If not, you'll have to remove the wheel bearing and axle together and replace both.

This is a shitty little situation that I have been stymied on before. Over the years, I've had two set-ups that I could absolutely not get apart. From hammer to torch to actually putting it in a 20 ton press, I could not get them apart.

Well, I guess that'll help you, lol.

Captain Caveman

96 RS Turbo 11.414 @ 119.62 MSNS, Crower 2 NA cams, BW366, 10.5 comp, UDP, 60mm TB, W/A intercooler, 3.55 tranny 567.9whp 430tq
97 RS NA 13.188 @ 103.87 MSnS powered 12.5 comp, Crower 3's and 219.4whp with 175tq
98 RS DD 12.5 comp on stock ECU, LTH, Crower 2's, Koni, GC, Hypercoil, DG hats
99 OZ 5sp Stocker 15.856 @ 85.97
99 GS stocker auto 17.7@77mph!

wiki home page:http://www.2gnt.com/index.php?d=bullettdsm

driverx08Mar-30-12 07:11 AM
9 posts,
#33619, "RE: list of issues becoming longer and longer"
In response to Reply # 6

dang ... alright well ill try that tool first and see what happens, but i belive ill have to replace it but ill also have to replace the steering knuckle because you cant get the cv through the opening for the wheel bearing...

thanks much guys.

also looking for a good clutch stage 1 ish ... but minimual cash any ideas?

DstachMar-30-12 07:15 AM
Member since Dec 04th 2010
276 posts,
#33620, "RE: list of issues becoming longer and longer"
In response to Reply # 7

Check the wiki. http://www.2gnt.com/?d=Audi/VW_Pressure_Plate

-----
99 Eclipse gs (Daily)
89 Honda Crx (Drag car project)

Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #33610 Previous topic | Next topic