Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #324
View in linear mode

Subject: "If I cut off the Spring Perch on KYB Shocks, where does the COILOVER sit?" Previous topic | Next topic
Teameclipse804Jan-02-01 06:07 PM
Donating 2GNT member
5174 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#324, "If I cut off the Spring Perch on KYB Shocks, where does the COILOVER sit?"

LAST EDITED ON 02-Jan-01 AT 11:08 PM (PST)

Hey All, I hope someone can answer this. I'm told I need to grind off the spring perches on the KYB GR2 nonadjustable shocks to be used with VIS V-spec or Skunk coilvoers. My question is, if I do grind them off, where will the coilover sit or will it just slide freely along the shock?

Also, anyone have tips on grinding off or removing the spring perch? Thanks.

eclipse804@hotmail.com
http://importdeals.homestead.com
Import Parts and Performance

2004 WRX - WR Blue Pearl
1997 Eclipse GS - Royal Sapphire Pearl

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: If I cut off the Spring Perch on KYB Shocks, where does the COILOVER sit?, TeamMichael_97RS, Jan-03-01 04:36 AM, #1
RE: If I cut off the Spring Perch on KYB Shocks, where does the COILOVER sit?, Teamicjeclipse, Jan-03-01 12:48 PM, #2
RE: If I cut off the Spring Perch on KYB Shocks, where does the COILOVER sit?, Teamicjeclipse, Jan-03-01 02:44 PM, #3
A bit confused?, Teameclipse804, Jan-04-01 09:41 AM, #4
      RE: A bit confused?, Teamicjeclipse, Jan-04-01 12:41 PM, #5
           RE: A bit confused?, ModeratorEvuLFleA, Jan-06-01 05:49 AM, #6
                RE: A bit confused?, Teamicjeclipse, Jan-06-01 10:15 AM, #7

TeamMichael_97RSJan-03-01 04:36 AM
Donating 2GNT member
5866 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#325, "RE: If I cut off the Spring Perch on KYB Shocks, where does the COILOVER sit?"
In response to Reply # 0

I'm not sure about grinding it off... maybe they mean grinding it down so it's flat instead of curved to hold the spring. Not sure. But I would recommend using a dremel with a cutting disc designed to cut metal. I've used it to cut off a shock and cut through the rusted bolt so it will cut through.

"To strive to seek to find... and not to yield."
Michael J. Kulaga
Michael_97RS@2gntDSM.zzn.com
aol IM: MJKulga

Firefly:
Mal: You don't know me, son, so let me put this to you plainly: If I ever kill you, you'll be awake. You'll be facing me. And you'll be armed.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

TeamicjeclipseJan-03-01 12:48 PM
Old School 2GNTer
871 posts,
#326, "RE: If I cut off the Spring Perch on KYB Shocks, where does the COILOVER sit?"
In response to Reply # 0

Well i have the Tokicos in the rear with Skunks and have the same problem. What you need to do is grind down the perch until the sleve will fit over it. Don't grind it to much because you need the lip inside the sleeve to catch on the grinded down perch. I am probaly going to do this pretty soon because right now the rear can't be lowered any more and it is at stock height. I am going to use a bench grinder once my friend(if he ever does) brings his to my house. This is what they should look like.

Ian
95 Eclipse RS
http://www.geocities.com/icjeclipse/index.html

Ian | SoCal | Former 2GNT owner |
2GNT mods & pics: www.go.to/dsmdomination |
email: icjeclipse@earthlink.net |

TeamicjeclipseJan-03-01 02:44 PM
Old School 2GNTer
871 posts,
#327, "RE: If I cut off the Spring Perch on KYB Shocks, where does the COILOVER sit?"
In response to Reply # 2

By the way, those are for sale on www.thepartstrader.com for $380 for the whole setup.

Ian
95 Eclipse RS

Teameclipse804Jan-04-01 09:41 AM
Donating 2GNT member
5174 posts,
#328, "A bit confused?"
In response to Reply # 2

Thanks, but I'm a bit confused. So the purpose of grinding down the spring perch is so the coilover can sit a bit lower on the shock right? But the coilover still does somewhat sit on the spring perch so it can't freely slide? THanks

eclipse804@hotmail.com
http://importdeals.homestead.com
Import Parts and Performance

2004 WRX - WR Blue Pearl
1997 Eclipse GS - Royal Sapphire Pearl

TeamicjeclipseJan-04-01 12:41 PM
Old School 2GNTer
871 posts,
#329, "RE: A bit confused?"
In response to Reply # 4

Yes that is right. That is what i've been told and make sence after doing my coil-over install.

Ian
95 Eclipse RS

ModeratorEvuLFleAJan-06-01 05:49 AM
Old School 2GNTer
9791 posts,
#330, "RE: A bit confused?"
In response to Reply # 5

When I talked to Skunk2 yesterday I guess you just put the rings over the welded part thats just above the spring perch and then just set the sleeve on that. Only the tokicos have this problem and I guess your struts do to. I know Konis dont have this problem though.

Jeff Stillwell
1998 Mitsubishi
Eclipse RS
ICQ #2199879 - add me!!

------------------------------------------------
98 ESi
95 GS

TeamicjeclipseJan-06-01 10:15 AM
Old School 2GNTer
871 posts,
#331, "RE: A bit confused?"
In response to Reply # 6

Yea i have Tokicos and with out grinding off the perch, you can't get it lower than stock height.

Ian
95 Eclipse RS

Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #324 Previous topic | Next topic