Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 4 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #31346
View in linear mode

Subject: "If the stock EVO brakes aren't enough for you . . ." Previous topic | Next topic
foggy45Sep-29-08 11:32 AM
Member since Dec 28th 2003
1032 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#31346, "If the stock EVO brakes aren't enough for you . . ."
Jun-11-08 04:07 PM by foggy45

brake fade and balance issues asside, this is intended for those going to track days. i.e SCCA solo, NASA Time attack, etc
these may also be good for those into the show scene.

the stock evo VIII brakes arent a bad upgrade from a performance standpoint.
price for these arent tight budget level yet but can be done for under $1K
the calipers can be found for $300, the most expensive part is the required conversion piece.
as most of you may know, in order to use evo brakes the Knuckles need to be replaced with JDM (yes they must be JDM) Galant Knuckles (#MR223628, MR223629) this will usually cost you $500 to get shipped form japan.
however,
once you have done this a wide range of brakes are avaliable.

one idea is to upgrade the stock brembo gear to the Evo 8 Brembo GT kit.
now, yes there is a GT kit avaliabe direct fit for the 95-99 eclipse and this is the SAME kit as the Evo 8 kit just a different bracket. so if you wanted to forgo the Galant conversion you could get this for $2700 (4 piston front w/ 2 piece rotor)

now on to the main event

if you DID do the conversion you could get the newest brembo kit for the evo IX. this upgrades you to a 6 piston front and a 355mm (14") 2 piece rotor and a 4 piston rear with a 328mm (12.9") 2 piece rotor.
for those keeping score, thats the same size as Diablo brakes and is one of the largest non-GTR spec rotor they make!
now the down side: Price
www.racetechnologies.com (the Brembo master distributer for the USA)
they list the fronts for $3600 (4 piston fronts are $3400) and the rears for $3100 and are avaliable in drilled or slotted (remember Authentic Brembos are one or the other NOT both)

eventhough they push $7k for the kit they are still shy of the $11,000 8-piston Brembo GTR kit, and that for fronts only!
ohh and these require 18" rims or larger for clearence, and even then brembo sez that some 18's wont fit

now i know that not many people are gonna jump up and down for these being as they are priced fairly high, but its still fun to see what is out there for our cars for those that are curious

Best sum up of working on a 2GNT
DR1665- "#5. Spike that motherfucker on the garage floor and grab a beer. You deserve it."

Ahhhh Priceless . . .
eclipse982nrRST "its actually lightish red"
RoninEclipse2G "yeah, they already have a color for that... it's called PINK"

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: If the stock EVO brakes aren't enough for you . . ., RoninEclipse2G, Jun-12-08 07:57 AM, #1
RE: If the stock EVO brakes aren't enough for you . . ., AdministratorStar Turbo Talon, Jun-12-08 01:29 PM, #2
      RE: If the stock EVO brakes aren't enough for you . . ., foggy45, Jun-12-08 06:59 PM, #3
           RE: If the stock EVO brakes aren't enough for you . . ., freelancefool, Jun-13-08 11:47 AM, #4
                RE: If the stock EVO brakes aren't enough for you . . ., goalie40, Jun-20-08 10:37 AM, #5
                     RE: If the stock EVO brakes aren't enough for you . . ., foggy45, Jun-20-08 11:30 AM, #6
                     RE: If the stock EVO brakes aren't enough for you . . ., PsychO, Jun-20-08 04:50 PM, #7
                          RE: If the stock EVO brakes aren't enough for you . . ., goalie40, Jun-21-08 10:51 AM, #8
                               RE: If the stock EVO brakes aren't enough for you . . ., dsmtuner1, Jun-26-08 06:48 AM, #9
                                    RE: If the stock EVO brakes aren't enough for you . . ., foggy45, Jun-26-08 10:35 AM, #10
                                    RE: If the stock EVO brakes aren't enough for you . . ., goalie40, Jun-26-08 01:26 PM, #11
                                         RE: If the stock EVO brakes aren't enough for you . . ., foggy45, Jun-27-08 05:43 AM, #12
                                              RE: If the stock EVO brakes aren't enough for you . . ., goalie40, Jun-30-08 11:06 AM, #13
                                                   RE: If the stock EVO brakes aren't enough for you . . ., dsmtuner1, Jul-15-08 04:35 AM, #14
                                                        RE: If the stock EVO brakes aren't enough for you . . ., 2GeclipseRS, Jul-17-08 10:40 AM, #15
                                                             RE: If the stock EVO brakes aren't enough for you . . ., foggy45, Jul-17-08 02:13 PM, #16
                     RE: If the stock EVO brakes aren't enough for you . . ., foggy45, Sep-14-08 02:58 PM, #17
                          RE: If the stock EVO brakes aren't enough for you . . ., dsmtuner1, Sep-29-08 05:17 AM, #18
                               RE: If the stock EVO brakes aren't enough for you . . ., foggy45, Sep-29-08 11:28 AM, #19
                                    RE: If the stock EVO brakes aren't enough for you . . ., dsmtuner1, Sep-29-08 11:53 AM, #20

RoninEclipse2GJun-12-08 07:57 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2745 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#31347, "RE: If the stock EVO brakes aren't enough for you . . ."
In response to Reply # 0

that's pretty crazy, you'd need some damn sticky rubber to keep those beasts from locking when a feather hits the pedal

Erik P.
Official 2GNT thread Hijacker
Some say that he's driven over more Covenant than he's shot, and that his grenades aren't where you'd expect them to be...
All we know is, He's not The Stig... But he is The Stig's Spartan cousin!

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

AdministratorStar Turbo TalonJun-12-08 01:29 PM
Member since Oct 21st 2003
8331 posts,
#31348, "RE: If the stock EVO brakes aren't enough for you . . ."
In response to Reply # 1

Makes me want an EVO IX

foggy45Jun-12-08 06:59 PM
1032 posts,
#31349, "RE: If the stock EVO brakes aren't enough for you . . ."
In response to Reply # 2
Jun-12-08 07:03 PM by foggy45

Originally posted by Star Turbo Talon
Makes me want an EVO IX

interestingly enough, this kit (and the 355mm 4 piston front kit)is backwards compatible now with ALL Evos 1999-2007 (VI-IX)
i know a bunch of the evo guys are mainly happy about the rear upgrade over the new larger fronts. the increased brake bias helps quite a bit in getting the rear to brake and over stear better then the stock ones. not so much for dirt use but for tarmac runs the handeling can be dialed better and more neurtal brake pressures can be used.

it will be interesting to see if this kit is compatable with the new X which would confirm yet another source of components for are cars, but with the new X's forged aluminium suspension components im not really holding my breath

DR1665- "#5. Spike that motherfucker on the garage floor and grab a beer. You deserve it."

Ahhhh Priceless . . .

freelancefoolJun-13-08 11:47 AM
Donating 2GNT member
765 posts,
#31350, "RE: If the stock EVO brakes aren't enough for you . . ."
In response to Reply # 3

All this talk about Evo brakes and no pictures...

Shame on you. See my link for pics of the brakes on a 2g with Evo wheels.

http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/handling-tech/297713-evo-viii-brakes-my-2g.html

My Blog

goalie40Jun-20-08 10:37 AM
Member since Sep 12th 2005
431 posts,
#31356, "RE: If the stock EVO brakes aren't enough for you . . ."
In response to Reply # 4

Funny I was gonna post about this. I live in hawaii much much closer to japan. I can get jdm parts easy here. Im looking into the 99+ galant knuckles. Im picking up some Evo F&R calipers and rotors next weekend.

Ill let you guys know if I can get them.

We will build you bigger and stronger

Wake up and drive my ass... More like wake up and fix it.

If the opposite of Pro is Con
then the opposite of Progress is Congress

foggy45Jun-20-08 11:30 AM
1032 posts,
#31357, "RE: If the stock EVO brakes aren't enough for you . . ."
In response to Reply # 5

if you can get them for under 500 then you will become VERY popular

Ahhhh Priceless . . .

PsychOJun-20-08 04:50 PM
Member since Jun 10th 2004
166 posts,
#31358, "RE: If the stock EVO brakes aren't enough for you . . ."
In response to Reply # 6

You'll make me a buyer.

goalie40Jun-21-08 10:51 AM
431 posts,
#31359, "RE: If the stock EVO brakes aren't enough for you . . ."
In response to Reply # 7

Im on it. I almost crapped my pants when I saw they could fit.

dsmtuner1Jun-26-08 06:48 AM
Member since Jul 03rd 2006
245 posts,
#31360, "RE: If the stock EVO brakes aren't enough for you . . ."
In response to Reply # 8
Jun-26-08 06:56 AM by dsmtuner1

Originally posted by goalie40
Im on it. I almost crapped my pants when I saw they could fit.

I want to add to this:

1. Talk to mike at RRE for SS lines. He can sell you 2g front lines and evo rear lines that will work for $95.

2. Have you ordered the knuckles yet? I have everything but my front knuckles cause the cheapest i have found is through mitsumissle on tuners. He sells for 415 shipped and thats good as is!!!!! I would have ordered through him already , but i need new wheels first since mine are staggered/dished the spokes wont clear the front calipers.

2 sets of injectors is better than 1 =)

foggy45Jun-26-08 10:35 AM
1032 posts,
#31361, "RE: If the stock EVO brakes aren't enough for you . . ."
In response to Reply # 9

Originally posted by dsmtuner1
1. Talk to mike at RRE for SS lines. He can sell you 2g front lines and evo rear lines that will work for $95.

Nice catch!
agreed, this does need to be noted, as our rear lines are screw in not the needed banjo

Ahhhh Priceless . . .

goalie40Jun-26-08 01:26 PM
431 posts,
#31362, "RE: If the stock EVO brakes aren't enough for you . . ."
In response to Reply # 9

I have a buddy stationed in japan. I think he is in school for another week. Still waiting on him.

On a side note I hate ebay. I was bidding on a set of evo F&R calipers. 15 secs left Im bidding and my stupid paypal was not linked to my acct? After I fixed it auction over the fuckers went for 285.00 deal of the year.

foggy45Jun-27-08 05:43 AM
1032 posts,
#31363, "RE: If the stock EVO brakes aren't enough for you . . ."
In response to Reply # 11

lawl! 15 sec and you THEN decide to putz with your paypal!?
would it not let you bid or somthing until it was fixed?

there is one person on ebay that sometimes auctions the needed knuckles but then again they are $500 shipped

go poke your buddy and have him get a move on

this week im gonna take a extra set of rear ss lines into Aeroquip and see if we can find a banjo that will fit the stock lines for those that want to convert and a banjo that will work for those that want to have there own -3an lines built

Ahhhh Priceless . . .

goalie40Jun-30-08 11:06 AM
431 posts,
#31364, "RE: If the stock EVO brakes aren't enough for you . . ."
In response to Reply # 12

It sucked I used my ebay acct a week before, no problems. I almost had them for under 3 bills.

dsmtuner1Jul-15-08 04:35 AM
245 posts,
#31385, "RE: If the stock EVO brakes aren't enough for you . . ."
In response to Reply # 13

Just a little something for the thread. Lines From Mike at RRE.

Cell phone pics sorry, only camera I own.

2GeclipseRSJul-17-08 10:40 AM
Member since May 06th 2007
781 posts,
#31390, "RE: If the stock EVO brakes aren't enough for you . . ."
In response to Reply # 14

I still think the gsx brakes are the most cost effective upgrade ever.

If one was worried about the brake bias using an older evo setup, why not install an adjustable proportioning valve or modify the stock valve.

Goodnight sweetheart...yes its time to go...bum bum bum bum bum...good night sweetheart yes I am one little a$$hole......bum bum bum bum....

foggy45Jul-17-08 02:13 PM
1032 posts,
#31391, "RE: If the stock EVO brakes aren't enough for you . . ."
In response to Reply # 15

Originally posted by 2GeclipseRS
I still think the gsx brakes are the most cost effective upgrade ever.

Originally posted by foggy45
brake fade and balance issues asside, this is intended for those going to track days. i.e SCCA solo, NASA Time attack, etc these may also be good for those into the show scene.

true the gsx are a good upgrade and cant be bet from a price stand point. however as i said this is more for the "Ohhhhh that would fit on my car" factor or those intending to track and have extra cash for these parts

Originally posted by 2GeclipseRSIf one was worried about the brake bias using an older evo setup, why not install an adjustable proportioning valve or modify the stock valve.

if you use the whole evo 8 set then you wouldnt have to worry about bias as they would be awfully close to balanced as is.
however if you just add a large front caliper and stock rears you will have bias issues and WILL need a proporting valve (or bias bar, but if you used that you would have dual masters anyway and would be dumb for only buying the fronts and tracking this)
the problem with the adjustments would be the large difference between front and back caliper forces and since you NEVER want to drop the pressure to the fronts you will most likley end up with some crazy issues if you tried to X-cross with a set up like that

Ahhhh Priceless . . .

foggy45Sep-14-08 02:58 PM
1032 posts,
#31436, "RE: If the stock EVO brakes aren't enough for you . . ."
In response to Reply # 5

Originally posted by goalie40
Funny I was gonna post about this. I live in hawaii much much closer to japan. I can get jdm parts easy here. Im looking into the 99+ galant knuckles. Im picking up some Evo F&R calipers and rotors next weekend. Ill let you guys know if I can get them.

any luck on getting these from your buddy yet?

Ahhhh Priceless . . .

dsmtuner1Sep-29-08 05:17 AM
245 posts,
#31451, "RE: If the stock EVO brakes aren't enough for you . . ."
In response to Reply # 17

I was curious. Does anyone know if you could use rear evo calipers on the front also, and just incorporate like an s2000 300mm front rotor with it?

foggy45Sep-29-08 11:28 AM
1032 posts,
#31452, "RE: If the stock EVO brakes aren't enough for you . . ."
In response to Reply # 18
Sep-29-08 11:28 AM by foggy45

Originally posted by dsmtuner1
I was curious. Does anyone know if you could use rear evo calipers on the front also, and just incorporate like an s2000 300mm front rotor with it?

ummm if im reading this right, then the answer is NO
if you are talking about using the above Evo-IX rear caliper because its a 4-pot then your wasting your money and time, as you will be spending 3K for a rear caliper that you are gonna then retrofit for the same price you can have a 4 piston front KIT that is made for the eclipse or using the evo bracket.
or
if you were talking about using the current evo rear caliper in the front then that is just dumb as its a single piston, but i know you didnt mean that

Ahhhh Priceless . . .

dsmtuner1Sep-29-08 11:53 AM
245 posts,
#31453, "RE: If the stock EVO brakes aren't enough for you . . ."
In response to Reply # 19
Sep-29-08 12:00 PM by dsmtuner1

Originally posted by foggy45
Originally posted by dsmtuner1 I was curious. Does anyone know if you could use rear evo calipers on the front also, and just incorporate like an s2000 300mm front rotor with it?
. or if you were talking about using the current evo rear caliper in the front then that is just dumb as its a single piston, but i know you didnt mean that

I did mean that, as the brembo rear calipers are actually a dual 2-piston caliper. If you have one pick it up and notice a piston on each side of the caliper for dual clamping force. I have a set sitting on my tool box. My stock gs calipers are only a single piston and I was thinking of bolting these rears on my front until I found some cash for a set of front JDM galant knuckles. I could check myself but i'd thought I'd ask to see if someone knew off hand before taking my wheel and caliper off to test fit the brembo piece. thanks

Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #31346 Previous topic | Next topic