Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 1 User in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #29869
View in linear mode

Subject: "Rubbing the halfshafts vibration damper on the end of the sway bar" Previous topic | Next topic
turbo8uOct-15-06 05:05 PM
Member since Jun 15th 2003
10552 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#29869, "Rubbing the halfshafts vibration damper on the end of the sway bar"

On my driver side, the end of the sway bar rubs on the vibration damper, between the inner and outer boot, when I turn right to far. Anyone have this problem?

I need a new halfshaft on that side anyway, but I wanted to see if this is a common problem or if that dampener can be moved at all. I havent had a chance to jack it up and see for myself what I can do, so thought id ask.

thanks

turbs

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

96 Black ESi
91 Red TSI AWD (RIP)
02 WRX

"turnin wrenches for nine hours in the pouring rain, just to get the beast up and running again"

Aerospace Certified TIG welder for Precision Castparts in Portland, OR.

JoshSpair.com

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: Rubbing the halfshafts vibration damper on the end of the sway bar, AdministratorStar Turbo Talon, Oct-15-06 05:31 PM, #1
RE: Rubbing the halfshafts vibration damper on the end of the sway bar, turbo8u, Oct-15-06 08:32 PM, #2
      RE: Rubbing the halfshafts vibration damper on the end of the sway bar, AdministratorStar Turbo Talon, Oct-15-06 10:30 PM, #3
           RE: Rubbing the halfshafts vibration damper on the end of the sway bar, hazardeclipse, Oct-18-06 04:18 AM, #4
                RE: Rubbing the halfshafts vibration damper on the end of the sway bar, XMasta19, Oct-18-06 07:06 AM, #5
                     RE: Rubbing the halfshafts vibration damper on the end of the sway bar, AdministratorStar Turbo Talon, Oct-18-06 08:26 AM, #6
                          RE: Rubbing the halfshafts vibration damper on the end of the sway bar, Chamuko, Oct-18-06 08:50 AM, #7
                               RE: Rubbing the halfshafts vibration damper on the end of the sway bar, XMasta19, Oct-18-06 10:01 AM, #8
                               RE: Rubbing the halfshafts vibration damper on the end of the sway bar, turbo8u, Oct-19-06 01:50 PM, #10
                                    RE: Rubbing the halfshafts vibration damper on the end of the sway bar, XMasta19, Oct-19-06 03:19 PM, #11
                               RE: Rubbing the halfshafts vibration damper on the end of the sway bar, AdministratorStar Turbo Talon, Oct-18-06 10:24 AM, #9
                                    RE: Rubbing the halfshafts vibration damper on the end of the sway bar, Chamuko, Oct-20-06 10:51 AM, #12
                                         RE: Rubbing the halfshafts vibration damper on the end of the sway bar, TeamDR1665, Oct-22-06 07:02 AM, #13
                                              RE: Rubbing the halfshafts vibration damper on the end of the sway bar, XMasta19, Oct-23-06 09:14 AM, #14
                                                   RE: Rubbing the halfshafts vibration damper on the end of the sway bar, TeamDR1665, Oct-23-06 11:44 AM, #15
                                                        RE: Rubbing the halfshafts vibration damper on the end of the sway bar, XMasta19, Oct-23-06 12:51 PM, #16
                                                             RE: Rubbing the halfshafts vibration damper on the end of the sway bar, Keith2172, Oct-23-06 01:39 PM, #17
                                                                  RE: Rubbing the halfshafts vibration damper on the end of the sway bar, AdministratorStar Turbo Talon, Oct-23-06 03:53 PM, #18
                                                                       RE: Rubbing the halfshafts vibration damper on the end of the sway bar, TeamDR1665, Oct-24-06 07:52 AM, #19
                                                                       RE: Rubbing the halfshafts vibration damper on the end of the sway bar, turbo8u, Oct-24-06 01:35 PM, #20

AdministratorStar Turbo TalonOct-15-06 05:31 PM
Member since Oct 21st 2003
8331 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#29872, "RE: Rubbing the halfshafts vibration damper on the end of the sway bar"
In response to Reply # 0
Oct-15-06 05:31 PM by Star Turbo Talon

Josh this happened to me when i installed the Stillen bar 3 years ago. I couldnt find anyone that had the same issue. Since then i have done a little research to find out the dampner was only used in many 95/96 shafts. 97 the dampner was removed. Aftermarket replacements didnt seem to have one either.

Remove it Josh. As you know the shaft will come out of the CV. the spline has a cir-clip on the inside much like the clip on the splines that fit into the Diff. Cut the bands and slide it off. Re-assemble.

Or just do a cross sectional cut with a whiz-wheel.

Terry

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

turbo8uOct-15-06 08:32 PM
10552 posts,
#29873, "RE: Rubbing the halfshafts vibration damper on the end of the sway bar"
In response to Reply # 1

Maybe i'll just get a 97 halfshaft then. My inner CV boot on that side is torn anyway and it needs to be replaced.

Thanks much Terry, I appreciate it. You don't think cutting it off would have any vibration effects?

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

96 Black ESi
91 Red TSI AWD (RIP)
02 WRX

"turnin wrenches for nine hours in the pouring rain, just to get the beast up and running again"

JoshSpair.com

AdministratorStar Turbo TalonOct-15-06 10:30 PM
8331 posts,
#29874, "RE: Rubbing the halfshafts vibration damper on the end of the sway bar"
In response to Reply # 2

Originally posted by turbo8u
You don't think cutting it off would have any vibration effects?

No only because they were sold without the dampner in 97. Same axle same cv dimensions. If your really worried you could have a driveshaft shop check the balence. I dont know how much they can really do with one sice we dont have tack welded weights liek a traditional driveshaft has.

Terry

hazardeclipseOct-18-06 04:18 AM
Member since Oct 09th 2003
640 posts,
#29887, "RE: Rubbing the halfshafts vibration damper on the end of the sway bar"
In response to Reply # 3

ive actually ran drivers side axles with and without the dampner on them on my '95 and havent noticed any difference... other than the fact that the axle without the dampner was defective, 1/4" too short, and would pop out of the trans just enough to coat the entire underside of my car with atf+3, and fool my stock differential to put all the power to that side mid turn leaving me sitting in traffic, not going anywhere, reving my motor til the axle decided to pop back in the trans and lurch the car forward like i did a neutral drop. BUT, when it actually was pushed in enough that the diff would put power to it, it felt ok. lol.

RIP- Rustbucket 1995-2009

‹hazardeclipse› by the way youre thinking of hazard_eclipse
‹hazardeclipse› thats not my fucking car
‹teklein› Oh yeah
‹hazardeclipse› he stole my name
‹hazardeclipse› fuck that radioactive yellow shit
‹teklein› Hazard_eclipse is the homo.

XMasta19Oct-18-06 07:06 AM
Donating 2GNT member
650 posts,
#29888, "RE: Rubbing the halfshafts vibration damper on the end of the sway bar"
In response to Reply # 4

I actually have some rubbing in my car and have no idea what it is. It comes from the front driver side any time the wheel is turned even partially to the left. On the highway for example, it's very annoying unless I'm going perfectly straight or actually off to the right a little bit. I've changed wheels, tires, jacked it up to look at shiznit...still haven't been able to figure it out

P.S. sorry for the thread jack

-Xavier-
95 Eclipse RS-T...lost in the frozen tundra

AdministratorStar Turbo TalonOct-18-06 08:26 AM
8331 posts,
#29889, "RE: Rubbing the halfshafts vibration damper on the end of the sway bar"
In response to Reply # 5

Take a look X because you can hear it insie the car pretty well.

ChamukoOct-18-06 08:50 AM
Donating 2GNT member
3668 posts,
#29890, "RE: Rubbing the halfshafts vibration damper on the end of the sway bar"
In response to Reply # 6

dont have a prob with my stillen bars...

Member # 751

FOUNDER of the Central Cali chapter of 2GNT!
(I got kicked out after I refused to go Cow tiping) - Hehehe you know who this is for

XMasta19Oct-18-06 10:01 AM
Donating 2GNT member
650 posts,
#29891, "RE: Rubbing the halfshafts vibration damper on the end of the sway bar"
In response to Reply # 7

I don't have any bars, but I most definitely hear it very loud in my car...I have checked multiple times yet can't seem to figure it out. Maybe I should just replace all of the suspension compenents lol.

-Xavier-

turbo8uOct-19-06 01:50 PM
10552 posts,
#29893, "RE: Rubbing the halfshafts vibration damper on the end of the sway bar"
In response to Reply # 8

Originally posted by XMasta19
I don't have any bars, but I most definitely hear it very loud in my car...I have checked multiple times yet can't seem to figure it out. Maybe I should just replace all of the suspension compenents lol.

Try turning the wheel to the point where it makes noises with the car on the ground. I couldnt see what my problem with the car lifted either. Turn, park and then get out.

Just feel around the tire and suspension, lay on the ground and look around.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

96 Black ESi
91 Red TSI AWD (RIP)
02 WRX

JoshSpair.com

XMasta19Oct-19-06 03:19 PM
Donating 2GNT member
650 posts,
#29894, "RE: Rubbing the halfshafts vibration damper on the end of the sway bar"
In response to Reply # 10

I've done that lol...I'm just an idiot I think. Nothing on my mind but getting out of the Air Force in less than a month, hahahahaah.....oh yeah, and getting my car driveable to ship it outta here.

-Xavier-

AdministratorStar Turbo TalonOct-18-06 10:24 AM
8331 posts,
#29892, "RE: Rubbing the halfshafts vibration damper on the end of the sway bar"
In response to Reply # 7

Depends on the axle you have Ivan, Havent you read the entire thread?

ChamukoOct-20-06 10:51 AM
Donating 2GNT member
3668 posts,
#29898, "RE: Rubbing the halfshafts vibration damper on the end of the sway bar"
In response to Reply # 9

Yes I did Terry get off my back old man...j/k man.

I forget ppl cant read my mind or dont know my car, When I put her back together I used a 97 axle. the Urethane squeaked for a bit then went away, that was it.

Member # 751

FOUNDER of the Central Cali chapter of 2GNT!
(I got kicked out after I refused to go Cow tiping) - Hehehe you know who this is for

TeamDR1665Oct-22-06 07:02 AM
Donating 2GNT member
14692 posts,
#29901, "RE: Rubbing the halfshafts vibration damper on the end of the sway bar"
In response to Reply # 12
Oct-22-06 07:03 AM by DR1665

Just curious... are we talking about this? I've had this for some time, now, and I'm not totally sure what it's all about. Last night I discovered that the boot is torn (wasn't when this picture was taken) and also determined that my tie rod on that end is sloppy.

Could this be related to steering slop from a bad tie rod? Aside from GR2s and Sportlines, my set up is stock with 192,000 miles on it. :|

http://dr1665.com/hosted/misc/CVwear.JP G <-- big picture, but shows sway bar rubbing on damper.

XMasta19Oct-23-06 09:14 AM
Donating 2GNT member
650 posts,
#29902, "RE: Rubbing the halfshafts vibration damper on the end of the sway bar"
In response to Reply # 13

...I'm confused

-Xavier-

TeamDR1665Oct-23-06 11:44 AM
Donating 2GNT member
14692 posts,
#29903, "RE: Rubbing the halfshafts vibration damper on the end of the sway bar"
In response to Reply # 14

Originally posted by XMasta19
...I'm confused

I'm sorry... Weren't you guys talking about the sway bar rubbing on the vibration damper on the driver's side CV axle? I don't know what everyone is talking about with 97s not having it, because this puppy is original equipment.

I first noticed a sort of intermittent chirping, much like a brake wear indicator, a couple months ago and pulled to wheel, expecting to replace my pads, but found this instead. Seems to me it's doing/done a great job of self-clearancing.

XMasta19Oct-23-06 12:51 PM
Donating 2GNT member
650 posts,
#29904, "RE: Rubbing the halfshafts vibration damper on the end of the sway bar"
In response to Reply # 15

My car makes a nasty rubbing type sound anytime the wheel is anything but dead straight or to the right...an inch to the left at all and it starts. Definitely goes with how fast I'm moving as well, the axle almost positively has something to do with it...but I just couldn't figure it out. Now my car doesn't run, and is covered in a mountain of snow because I was too lazy to clean my garage and push it in...now I gotta figure out how to get it shipped outta Alaska in the next 2 weeks or so.

-Xavier-

Keith2172Oct-23-06 01:39 PM
Member since Jan 16th 2004
1281 posts,
#29905, "RE: Rubbing the halfshafts vibration damper on the end of the sway bar"
In response to Reply # 16

I don't have anything really important to add but... I think I'm going to use the phrase "Rubbing the halfshaft" as my new euphemism for punching the elf, thanks turby

Representing the Central Cali chapter of 2GNT!
(I think I'm the only member )

AdministratorStar Turbo TalonOct-23-06 03:53 PM
8331 posts,
#29906, "RE: Rubbing the halfshafts vibration damper on the end of the sway bar"
In response to Reply # 17

thats exactly it driggs.

TeamDR1665Oct-24-06 07:52 AM
Donating 2GNT member
14692 posts,
#29907, "RE: Rubbing the halfshafts vibration damper on the end of the sway bar"
In response to Reply # 18

Originally posted by Star Turbo Talon
thats exactly it driggs.

Thanks. I've tracked down some nice, Moog inner and outer tie rod ends with better seals and zerk fittings so I can keep them clean and greased and I'm now looking for some new CVs for the car. I aim to cut that damper off the new axles (should it be there) and hope having zero slop in my steering will make a difference, here.

It's funny. Despite all the problems with my steering system right now, the car doesn't *feel* like it drives any worse. Sure, there is some tramlining, but the car will otherwise track straight and true like it always has. It's actually been one of my favorite aspects of these cars - the steering feedback is excellent, imo. I'm not replacing stuff because the car drives worse, but because I don't want it to break during operation and pitch me into another car.

turbo8uOct-24-06 01:35 PM
10552 posts,
#29908, "RE: Rubbing the halfshafts vibration damper on the end of the sway bar"
In response to Reply # 18

Originally posted by Star Turbo Talon
thats exactly it driggs.

yea bingo

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

96 Black ESi
91 Red TSI AWD (RIP)
02 WRX

JoshSpair.com

Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #29869 Previous topic | Next topic