Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 1 User in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #27361
View in linear mode

Subject: "do 18's really slow you down that much?" Previous topic | Next topic
injendsmJun-23-05 04:23 AM
Donating 2GNT member
6844 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#27361, "do 18's really slow you down that much?"

i know it may be kind of a general question but would having 18's on a fairly stock 2gnt really slow it down that much on the butt dyno? just curious.

www.gregsorrells.com

http://ubanimator.com>

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: do 18's really slow you down that much?, BumpinTalon, Jun-23-05 04:26 AM, #1
RE: do 18's really slow you down that much?, injendsm, Jun-23-05 04:36 AM, #2
      RE: do 18's really slow you down that much?, BumpinTalon, Jun-23-05 04:51 AM, #3
           RE: do 18's really slow you down that much?, ModeratorEvuLFleA, Jun-23-05 05:21 AM, #4
                RE: do 18's really slow you down that much?, slowmitsu, Jun-23-05 05:29 AM, #5
                     RE: do 18's really slow you down that much?, turbo8u, Jun-23-05 06:22 AM, #6
                          RE: do 18's really slow you down that much?, pr0, Jun-23-05 06:37 AM, #7
                               RE: do 18's really slow you down that much?, BumpinTalon, Jun-23-05 07:35 AM, #8
                               RE: do 18's really slow you down that much?, pr0, Jun-23-05 08:22 AM, #10
                                    RE: do 18's really slow you down that much?, BumpinTalon, Jun-23-05 09:16 AM, #11
                               RE: do 18's really slow you down that much?, RxR_Eclipse, Jun-23-05 07:37 AM, #9
                                    RE: do 18's really slow you down that much?, FlyinEsi, Jun-23-05 09:21 AM, #12
                                         RE: do 18's really slow you down that much?, 420a-Tnthewerks, Jun-23-05 09:49 AM, #13
                                              RE: do 18's really slow you down that much?, FlyinEsi, Jun-23-05 10:37 AM, #14
                                                   RE: do 18's really slow you down that much?, MCubed45, Jun-23-05 10:47 AM, #15
                                                        RE: do 18's really slow you down that much?, undisputed, Jun-23-05 02:43 PM, #16
                                                        RE: do 18's really slow you down that much?, BRU_ce, Jun-23-05 05:28 PM, #17
                                                             RE: do 18's really slow you down that much?, EclipseTenzoR, Jun-23-05 11:55 PM, #18
                                                                  RE: do 18's really slow you down that much?, RxR_Eclipse, Jun-24-05 08:10 AM, #19
                                                                  RE: do 18's really slow you down that much?, BumpinTalon, Jun-25-05 11:03 AM, #20
                                                                       RE: do 18's really slow you down that much?, 96rs-t, Jun-25-05 02:36 PM, #21
                                                                            RE: do 18's really slow you down that much?, injendsm, Jun-27-05 07:40 AM, #22
                                                                                 RE: do 18's really slow you down that much?, Ryan_Hes, Jun-28-05 08:33 AM, #23
                                                                                      RE: do 18's really slow you down that much?, BMPDirk, Jul-05-05 05:39 AM, #24
                                                                                           RE: do 18's really slow you down that much?, BumpinTalon, Jul-05-05 06:22 AM, #25

BumpinTalonJun-23-05 04:26 AM
Member since Mar 23rd 2004
2381 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#27362, "RE: do 18's really slow you down that much?"
In response to Reply # 0

uhh I can't say for sure
my old 16s weighed more then my new 18s, so the car got faster when I put my 18s on, but braking got worse? might just be my imagination.

1995 Eagle Talon ESi

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

injendsmJun-23-05 04:36 AM
Donating 2GNT member
6844 posts,
#27363, "RE: do 18's really slow you down that much?"
In response to Reply # 1

Originally posted by BumpinTalon
uhh I can't say for sure my old 16s weighed more then my new 18s, so the car got faster when I put my 18s on, but braking got worse? might just be my imagination.

hmm alrite. i dont know how much my crappy stock 14's weigh in comparison to the 18's i will be buying pretty soon so i dont know if i will have the same luck or not. the brakes could be your imagination but the bigger wheels create more rotational mass so that could be whats making the brakes worse than before but im probably not thinking that through completely.

www.gregsorrells.com

BumpinTalonJun-23-05 04:51 AM
2381 posts,
#27364, "RE: do 18's really slow you down that much?"
In response to Reply # 2

Originally posted by injendsm
Originally posted by BumpinTalon uhh I can't say for sure my old 16s weighed more then my new 18s, so the car got faster when I put my 18s on, but braking got worse? might just be my imagination.
hmm alrite. i dont know how much my crappy stock 14's weigh in comparison to the 18's i will be buying pretty soon so i dont know if i will have the same luck or not. the brakes could be your imagination but the bigger wheels create more rotational mass so that could be whats making the brakes worse than before but im probably not thinking that through completely.

rotational mass would make both acceleration and braking worse.. it must just be my imagination they must both be slower or quicker

1995 Eagle Talon ESi

ModeratorEvuLFleAJun-23-05 05:21 AM
Old School 2GNTer
9791 posts,
#27365, "RE: do 18's really slow you down that much?"
In response to Reply # 3

Quite a bit of difference. On the butt dyno I felt like a 10-15 hp gain when I put the 14's back on.

------------------------------------------------
98 ESi
95 GS

slowmitsuJun-23-05 05:29 AM
Member since May 26th 2005
343 posts,
#27366, "RE: do 18's really slow you down that much?"
In response to Reply # 4

14's to 17's was like a whole new world of slow-ness.

turbo8uJun-23-05 06:22 AM
Member since Jun 15th 2003
10552 posts,
#27367, "RE: do 18's really slow you down that much?"
In response to Reply # 5

yea i had 15" motegi's and went to 18" racing hart's

braking got crappy, top end increased, and yea takes longer to accelerate but thats what boost is for

pr0Jun-23-05 06:37 AM
Member since Aug 26th 2004
288 posts,
#27368, "RE: do 18's really slow you down that much?"
In response to Reply # 6
Jun-23-05 06:38 AM by pr0

The difference is noticeable however, they do make light weight 18s I believe.

BumpinTalonJun-23-05 07:35 AM
2381 posts,
#27369, "RE: do 18's really slow you down that much?"
In response to Reply # 7

Originally posted by pr0
The difference is noticeable however, they do make light weight 18s I believe.

they do, but since the weight is still further out from the center of the rim they still will have a bigger performance disadvantage then a comparable 14 or 16 inch rim.

1995 Eagle Talon ESi

pr0Jun-23-05 08:22 AM
Member since Aug 26th 2004
288 posts,
#27371, "RE: do 18's really slow you down that much?"
In response to Reply # 8

Originally posted by pr0 The difference is noticeable however, they do make light weight 18s I believe.
they do, but since the weight is still further out from the center of the rim they still will have a bigger performance disadvantage then a comparable 14 or 16 inch rim.

It will be a little better though haha

I say go for a nice set of 17s, decent tires, 1 inch drop and you're set. If I weren't such a perfomance freak I would probably get 18s. ahaha...

BumpinTalonJun-23-05 09:16 AM
2381 posts,
#27373, "RE: do 18's really slow you down that much?"
In response to Reply # 10

Originally posted by pr0
Originally posted by pr0 The difference is noticeable however, they do make light weight 18s I believe.
It will be a little better though haha I say go for a nice set of 17s, decent tires, 1 inch drop and you're set. If I weren't such a perfomance freak I would probably get 18s. ahaha...

haha damn, you got me

1995 Eagle Talon ESi

RxR_EclipseJun-23-05 07:37 AM
Old School 2GNTer
1792 posts,
#27370, "RE: do 18's really slow you down that much?"
In response to Reply # 7

Putting weight aside, the differece is noticable. Just think about it, a 14" circle is going to make more full rotations than a 18" circle.
So the real question is; Is my car going to be slower with 18's?
Answer:YES
However, you won't look like a retard anymore I say go for it.

Kevin
The old:

The new:

FlyinEsiJun-23-05 09:21 AM
Donating 2GNT member
5187 posts,
#27374, "RE: do 18's really slow you down that much?"
In response to Reply # 9

Originally posted by RxR_Eclipse
Putting weight aside, the differece is noticable. Just think about it, a 14" circle is going to make more full rotations than a 18" circle. So the real question is; Is my car going to be slower with 18's? Answer:YES However, you won't look like a retard anymore I say go for it.

Okay, this statement does not make any sense. You are not just rotating the rim itself. As long as you get a tire that keeps your speed ratio the same you are rotating the same circumfrance. What makes the difference is the weight of the rim, metal weighs more than rubber, so you increase the amount of metal, decrease the amount of rubber, it is just going to weigh more which = more rotating mass.

Boost it, you won't feel a difference then, trust me.

420a-TnthewerksJun-23-05 09:49 AM
Member since Jun 11th 2004
2267 posts,
#27375, "RE: do 18's really slow you down that much?"
In response to Reply # 12
Jun-23-05 09:49 AM by 420a-Tnthewerks

I just put 18's on and even though I really can't tell the difference that much, it does slow me down a tad. BUT, I can actually use first gear now and that's a plus .

FlyinEsiJun-23-05 10:37 AM
Donating 2GNT member
5187 posts,
#27376, "RE: do 18's really slow you down that much?"
In response to Reply # 13

Originally posted by 420a-Tnthewerks
I just put 18's on and even though I really can't tell the difference that much, it does slow me down a tad. BUT, I can actually use first gear now and that's a plus .

Haha!!

MCubed45Jun-23-05 10:47 AM
Member since Sep 17th 2002
2706 posts,
#27377, "RE: do 18's really slow you down that much?"
In response to Reply # 14
Jun-23-05 10:49 AM by MCubed45

Originally posted by FlyinEsi
Originally posted by RxR_Eclipse Putting weight aside, the differece is noticable. Just think about it, a 14" circle is going to make more full rotations than a 18" circle. So the real question is; Is my car going to be slower with 18's? Answer:YES However, you won't look like a retard anymore I say go for it.
Okay, this statement does not make any sense. You are not just rotating the rim itself. As long as you get a tire that keeps your speed ratio the same you are rotating the same circumfrance. What makes the difference is the weight of the rim, metal weighs more than rubber, so you increase the amount of metal, decrease the amount of rubber, it is just going to weigh more which = more rotating mass. Boost it, you won't feel a difference then, trust me.

actually it's not the mass. if you have two wheel/tire combos of equal mass and total circumference the larger rim will require more force to accelrate/decelerate because it has a greater MOMENT OF INERTIA. it has to do with the weight distribution. it's like when skaters pull their arms in to accerlate their spin. the accelerating force has remained constant but by decreasing their moment of inertia they accelerate more quickly. consequently they also decelerate when they increase their moment of inertian by extending their arms.

-marc

undisputedJun-23-05 02:43 PM
Member since Nov 19th 2004
157 posts,
#27378, "RE: do 18's really slow you down that much?"
In response to Reply # 15

I am the exact opposite of a lot of people here. I am taking off my 17's for some lightweight 15's this summer...

1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse Gs 10th anniversary OZ edition
aem v2 CAI|Toyo Proxes FZ4|ADR Silver Sukodo wheels|Tsudo muffler|Tein S-Tech Springs|B&M short shifter
Cardomain page*new pics soon*
STILL SLOW

BRU_ceJun-23-05 05:28 PM
Member since Aug 25th 2003
1457 posts,
#27379, "RE: do 18's really slow you down that much?"
In response to Reply # 15

So the general consensus is that:

I should be damn happy with my 16" OZs? Heh, I love them anyway. I always wished they were 18" but now that I know it just slows you down, fuck it! I love em

Oh no! My sig died! I'll get another one.
Member and Co-Founder of FLDSM

EclipseTenzoRJun-23-05 11:55 PM
Member since Nov 09th 2003
2386 posts,
#27382, "RE: do 18's really slow you down that much?"
In response to Reply # 17

Ok, fuck what everything has been said about 18s and being slow. Don't even ask the question if you are that concerned about a little more slowness. Looking good comes at a price, and as slow as my car was before and now even slower I am still happy I got my 18s it adds character to my car and is deffintley noticeable all around town.

98' Eclipse GS- Hahn Stage 2- SOLD
02' Honda S2000- SOLD
04' Acura TL- Current Whip

RxR_EclipseJun-24-05 08:10 AM
Old School 2GNTer
1792 posts,
#27388, "RE: do 18's really slow you down that much?"
In response to Reply # 18

^^^ that is exactly what I meant, if you don't really care about being slower then go for it. 18"s look great on there. 14's look like shit. Its just a fact.

Kevin
The old:

The new:

BumpinTalonJun-25-05 11:03 AM
2381 posts,
#27394, "RE: do 18's really slow you down that much?"
In response to Reply # 18

Originally posted by EclipseTenzoR
Ok, fuck what everything has been said about 18s and being slow. Don't even ask the question if you are that concerned about a little more slowness. Looking good comes at a price, and as slow as my car was before and now even slower I am still happy I got my 18s it adds character to my car and is deffintley noticeable all around town.

exactly
any slowness can be remedied by a turbocharger

1995 Eagle Talon ESi

96rs-tJun-25-05 02:36 PM
Member since Jun 04th 2003
2203 posts,
#27395, "RE: do 18's really slow you down that much?"
In response to Reply # 20

worrying about rim size should only matter if you go to the track and race the car. I have my 17" gsx rims with a 50series tire, but if i go to the track i just swap them and put my 14s on. I plan on getting 18's when i get the cash. Who gives a damn if you're a tenth of a second slower on the streets, put on the 18s (public streets are not for racing), but if you take it to the track, then just swap in the 14's. The only problem is that 14's will cause lots more wheel spin than 18s will.

SoCal DSM
1996 RS-T: Under Construction
1999 GS AE: New daily driver
"USING NO WAY AS A WAY, HAVING NO LIMITATION AS A LIMITATION"--BRUCE LEE

injendsmJun-27-05 07:40 AM
Donating 2GNT member
6844 posts,
#27401, "RE: do 18's really slow you down that much?"
In response to Reply # 21

good points all around, especially the last few posts. i think ill be going with the 18s cause i know ill kick myself in the ass for spending the same price on smaller wheels and thinner tires later on down the road. besides, i almost never race anyway and as slow as my car is, it doesnt really matter. thanks for the replies, im kind of suprised there were this many of them.

www.gregsorrells.com

Ryan_HesJun-28-05 08:33 AM
Old School 2GNTer
3450 posts,
#27408, "RE: do 18's really slow you down that much?"
In response to Reply # 22

I've gone through 6 or 7 sets of rims....and I can always feel the difference when going down to smaller wheels...and now with 19's..yea...

Compensate with more boost, you won't notice a thing except the necks you're breaking as you turn the corner choppin 19 inch blades..haha (I'm not ghetto - lol)

Ryan
IRyanHester@Hotmail.com

'03 Mazda 6s

BMPDirkJul-05-05 05:39 AM
Member since Jul 24th 2002
1288 posts,
#27475, "RE: do 18's really slow you down that much?"
In response to Reply # 23

Originally posted by Ryan_Hes
I've gone through 6 or 7 sets of rims....and I can always feel the difference when going down to smaller wheels...and now with 19's..yea... Compensate with more boost, you won't notice a thing except the necks you're breaking as you turn the corner choppin 19 inch blades..haha (I'm not ghetto - lol)

i agree. i have been through a few rims in my time, and they do make a difference. The biggest difference i notice is braking though. When i went from stock chrome 16's to my current 18's, braking definetly was worse. As for acceleration...i didnt notice much of a difference...but i did regain use of 1st gear so thats a plus++

BumpinTalonJul-05-05 06:22 AM
2381 posts,
#27476, "RE: do 18's really slow you down that much?"
In response to Reply # 24

Originally posted by BMPDirk
Originally posted by Ryan_Hes I've gone through 6 or 7 sets of rims....and I can always feel the difference when going down to smaller wheels...and now with 19's..yea... Compensate with more boost, you won't notice a thing except the necks you're breaking as you turn the corner choppin 19 inch blades..haha (I'm not ghetto - lol)
i agree. i have been through a few rims in my time, and they do make a difference. The biggest difference i notice is braking though. When i went from stock chrome 16's to my current 18's, braking definetly was worse. As for acceleration...i didnt notice much of a difference...but i did regain use of 1st gear so thats a plus++

I've noticed this braking thing too. It is really annoying.. like completely piss-off annoying.

1995 Eagle Talon ESi

Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #27361 Previous topic | Next topic