Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 3 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #23519
View in threaded mode

Subject: "What could this noise be?" Previous topic | Next topic
Lindsey24Apr-14-04 03:34 PM
Member since Nov 09th 2003
6 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#23519, "What could this noise be?"

I have a 97 GSX and recently my car has been making a screeching/scratching type of noise when I drive it. It only started yesterday (pouring rain) when it was driven on a really crappy road that had tons of pot holes and uneven pavement. When I am in park and turn the wheel left or right it makes this noise. At first it sounded like rubber against the pavement, but from the outside it sounds like it might be something metal. It almost sounds like the noise a squeaky bed would make if you jumped on it but louder(I know that sounds stupid, but it does.) The reason why I posted this question under suspension and handeling was because it also makes the noise when it is driven over bumps and so I figured it might have something to do with the suspension. It is not one constant noise, it sounds like the springs would on a bed, so that is why I thought it might have something to do with the suspension. Has anyone had this problem before or know what this noise could be? I haven't done anything with the suspesion, its completely stock. Thanks!

Lindsey

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
mcgyvrApr-15-04 09:58 AM
Old School 2GNTer
3121 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#23536, "RE: What could this noise be?"
In response to Reply # 0

could be ball joints, cv joints,worn bushings,etc..

could also just be your powersteering fluid is low, it squeals too when not filled all the way

1998 dodge avenger 4 cyl AT
Mods are:
Not enough

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

ModeratorVX100Apr-16-04 06:33 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2831 posts,
#23548, "RE: What could this noise be?"
In response to Reply # 0
Apr-16-04 06:35 AM by VX100

Sorry, just trying to get a clarification...

so, the car will make an intermittent squeaking noise as you're just driving along?

That might be worn brake pads, if they're worn to the wear bars you can hear an occational squeaking (my latest car, the pads were worn when I bought it and I would hear an intermitten squeaking as the metal wear indicators rubbed the rotors)

Even though you did say you notice it over bumpy roads, since they're easy to check and replace I'd start there. If that's not it, then the things mentioned by my friend above could be it.

"Tutto fa brodo."

Todd Scungio
98 RS
15.173 @ 90.70 MPH

And also a 2011 Ralliart

AznKaos15Apr-16-04 08:39 PM
Member since May 05th 2003
256 posts,
#23564, "RE: What could this noise be?"
In response to Reply # 2

i am having similar sounds. does it sound like its coming from under the passenger floor board at times? i know where my sounds are coming from and if its from that area, raise the car up and tighten every bolt you see related to the suspension, (air tool required) mainly the spots where the 2 lower arms connect to the chassis and under your hood where the upper arm attaches. if you can, take out every bolt and dab some anti seize on it so water cannot penetrate and rust the bolts. my mechanic just tightened them for me last time and the noise went away until yesterday, after 3 days of rain. tomorrow he will redo them. MITSUBISHI mechanics are great friends to have, i fix his computer, he fixes my car, no labor charge!

willmayoApr-17-04 12:48 PM
Donating 2GNT member
680 posts,
#23572, "RE: What could this noise be?"
In response to Reply # 3

first thing i'd look at would be the ball joints.

--------------------
99 GS-Turbo 3.55 MTX
S16G @ ~15psi - FMIC - Forged Internals
Clinton Township, MI

AdministratorStar Turbo TalonApr-18-04 02:57 AM
Member since Oct 21st 2003
8331 posts,
#23575, "RE: What could this noise be?"
In response to Reply # 4

rainy weather huh.....hhmmnn how about i save you a ton and ask when you last replaced/adjusted the P/S belt.

Terry
96 Eagle talon ESI
rear disk conversion Star Stage II - Optima locate in the hatch - momo Steering wheel - Boost/oil/EGT gauges, HKS TT

97 Eclipse
Greddy header/evo exhaust - Stage 2 6 puck Sprung hub MIBA clutch - Shortened shifter - Koni Yellows w/eibach prokit - Stillen Fr/Rr swaybars - DEI Keyless entry alarm - Niche 17" Shoks

Waiting to be installed: Apexi AFC, HKS EVC IV, ceramic intake, 450 Turbo injectors, SFMU/return line, GSX Front brakes (need rotors)

AznKaos15Apr-19-04 01:14 PM
Member since May 05th 2003
256 posts,
#23595, "RE: What could this noise be?"
In response to Reply # 5

also, check the bolts that hold the cross member. its next to one of the lower arms, the one the curves towards the back. thats what mine turned out to be and the squeaks were coming from the cross member rubbing against the chassis. good luck and hope you don't have it as bad as i did because the welding that holds the nut that the bolt screws into popped off the weld and had to cut a hole in the wheel well to access and tighten it. its a rare scenario but good luck. just tighten all the bolts including ones mentioned above and see what happens.

Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #23519 Previous topic | Next topic