Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #21986
View in linear mode

Subject: "Building a handling MACHINE!" Previous topic | Next topic
a_miller_76Jan-18-04 03:32 PM
Donating 2GNT member
9515 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#21986, "Building a handling MACHINE!"

Okay, since it's all winding roads up here in NH and around mountains I'd rather handle like a mofo rather than go super fast. So I'm going to work on my suspension rather than engine. This is what I'm thinking of:

RMDSM Sway bars
Tokico Illumina shock/strut and spring combo
Energy suspension bushings kit
Neuspeed bar (if I can find one)
17's
And GSX brake upgrade with rear disk conversion

I already have front and rear upper and lower strut bars.

anyone have any suggestions?

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: Building a handling MACHINE!, djtrickee, Jan-18-04 03:35 PM, #1
RE: Building a handling MACHINE!, AdministratorCODE4, Jan-18-04 04:10 PM, #2
      RE: Building a handling MACHINE!, 98starGS, Jan-18-04 04:15 PM, #3
      RE: Building a handling MACHINE!, djtrickee, Jan-18-04 04:59 PM, #4
           RE: Building a handling MACHINE!, a_miller_76, Jan-19-04 03:16 AM, #5
                RE: Building a handling MACHINE!, Dinkjs, Jan-19-04 07:11 AM, #6
                     RE: Building a handling MACHINE!, a_miller_76, Jan-19-04 10:14 AM, #7
                          RE: Building a handling MACHINE!, MotoFool, Jan-19-04 11:39 AM, #8
                          RE: Building a handling MACHINE!, Clay, Jan-19-04 01:23 PM, #9
                               RE: Building a handling MACHINE!, a_miller_76, Jan-20-04 02:19 AM, #10
                          RE: Building a handling MACHINE!, TeamMichael_97RS, Jan-20-04 03:52 AM, #11
                               RE: Building a handling MACHINE!, a_miller_76, Jan-20-04 04:06 AM, #12
                                    RE: Building a handling MACHINE!, TeamMichael_97RS, Jan-20-04 04:16 AM, #13
                                         RE: Building a handling MACHINE!, a_miller_76, Jan-20-04 04:37 AM, #14
                                              RE: Building a handling MACHINE!, Teametx, Jan-20-04 10:11 AM, #15
                                                   RE: Building a handling MACHINE!, a_miller_76, Jan-20-04 10:22 AM, #16
                                                        RE: Building a handling MACHINE!, Dinkjs, Jan-20-04 01:39 PM, #17
                                                             RE: Building a handling MACHINE!, My9t5Talon, Jan-20-04 05:34 PM, #18
                                                                  RE: Building a handling MACHINE!, Amish_Eclipse, Jan-20-04 07:37 PM, #19
                                                                       RE: Building a handling MACHINE!, FlyinEsi, Jan-21-04 05:07 PM, #20
                                                                            RE: Building a handling MACHINE!, MCubed45, Jan-21-04 08:17 PM, #21
                                                                                 RE: Building a handling MACHINE!, espilcEGS, Jan-22-04 06:12 AM, #22
                                                                                      RE: Building a handling MACHINE!, Shockeclipse, Jan-22-04 04:23 PM, #23
                                                                                           RE: Building a handling MACHINE!, MotoFool, Jan-24-04 10:55 AM, #24
                                                                                                RE: Building a handling MACHINE!, a_miller_76, Jan-24-04 11:35 AM, #25

djtrickeeJan-18-04 03:35 PM
Donating 2GNT member
5924 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#21987, "RE: Building a handling MACHINE!"
In response to Reply # 0
Jan-18-04 03:40 PM by djtrickee

Yea. if that is your goal then replace the strut/spring combo with a full coilover setup.

Tein makes a good set for under a grand. Mucho Better.

Oh and here

http://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=16&topic_id=32471&mesg_id=32471&page=3

And maybe some motor mounts or even solid motor mounts.

.........................................................................................................................

Built. That's All...
.........................................................................................................................
www.monkeybuttpirate.com
2 Fingers of Scotch with a milk back... Stat!

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

AdministratorCODE4Jan-18-04 04:10 PM
Member since Nov 23rd 2003
2552 posts,
#21988, "RE: Building a handling MACHINE!"
In response to Reply # 1

Also add one more strut bar to your car:

http://www.ketronsales.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/43_44/products_id/554

Will aid in stiffening the ride out=] Plus it looks bad ass.

---

2012 2500HD LML

98starGSJan-18-04 04:15 PM
Member since Nov 11th 2003
528 posts,
#21989, "RE: Building a handling MACHINE!"
In response to Reply # 2

if ya want that neuspeed part hit up noodlez he has them for 100 shipped good deal if ya ask me.

djtrickeeJan-18-04 04:59 PM
Donating 2GNT member
5924 posts,
#21990, "RE: Building a handling MACHINE!"
In response to Reply # 2

Originally posted by CODE4
Also add one more strut bar to your car: http://www.ketronsales.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/43_44/products_id/554 Will aid in stiffening the ride out=] Plus it looks bad ass.

Sorry to tell ya bud, but those things are looks only. They do nothing to help stiffen the mitsu eclipse. If you really wanted to get a mid bar like that it would have to go down and be welded to the frame not just attach to the seatbelt mounts lol.

Built. That's All...
www.monkeybuttpirate.com
2 Fingers of Scotch with a milk back... Stat!

a_miller_76Jan-19-04 03:16 AM
Donating 2GNT member
9515 posts,
#21992, "RE: Building a handling MACHINE!"
In response to Reply # 4

werd, those are gay.

DinkjsJan-19-04 07:11 AM
Member since Jun 16th 2002
1035 posts,
#21993, "RE: Building a handling MACHINE!"
In response to Reply # 5

You forgot something else that is vary vital to having a great handling car...a nice little Limited Slip Differential

Phantom Grip makes something sorta like a Limited Slip
But Quaife makes a limited slip for our cars....this will also help you alot with handling because it is making both wheels spin....awesome idea for the twisties..especially coming out of a corner

Quarter mile drag racing is over rated

User #102283

"It takes a big man to cry but it takes a bigger man to laugh at him"

a_miller_76Jan-19-04 10:14 AM
Donating 2GNT member
9515 posts,
#21994, "RE: Building a handling MACHINE!"
In response to Reply # 6

Originally posted by Dinkjs
You forgot something else that is vary vital to having a great handling car...a nice little Limited Slip Differential Phantom Grip makes something sorta like a Limited Slip But Quaife makes a limited slip for our cars....this will also help you alot with handling because it is making both wheels spin....awesome idea for the twisties..especially coming out of a corner Quarter mile drag racing is over rated User #102283 "It takes a big man to cry but it takes a bigger man to laugh at him"

I would love one, but I'm not spending that much money

I've heard the phantom grips are falling apart and I seriously can't afford a quaife dif. I could go turbo for that kinda dough.

MotoFoolJan-19-04 11:39 AM
Member since Sep 08th 2002
2103 posts,
#21996, "RE: Building a handling MACHINE!"
In response to Reply # 7

TEIN do not buy springs and struts in the annoucement section there is a group buy for SS coilovers for 845$ or sumtin

there is such a HUGE difference betweens springs and struts and tein SS

get prothane bushings...

You can have it cheap, fast or good. Pick any two.

If you want it cheap and fast, it's not going to be good.
If you want it cheap and good, it's not going to be fast.
If you want it good and fast, it's not going to be cheap.

ClayJan-19-04 01:23 PM
Old School 2GNTer
1790 posts,
#21997, "RE: Building a handling MACHINE!"
In response to Reply # 8

Wow, no one mentioned tires. Sticky tires or R-compounds

95 GST | So-Cal

a_miller_76Jan-20-04 02:19 AM
Donating 2GNT member
9515 posts,
#21999, "RE: Building a handling MACHINE!"
In response to Reply # 9

Originally posted by Clay
Wow, no one mentioned tires. Sticky tires or R-compounds

True, i didn't bring up the whole tire conversation. I may not attempt to get the best tires possible due to cost.

On my bike I run Dunlop D207's which are basically race tires and I burn through a set a year. I don't wanna do that with my car, the tires are much more expensive

TeamMichael_97RSJan-20-04 03:52 AM
Donating 2GNT member
5866 posts,
#22001, "RE: Building a handling MACHINE!"
In response to Reply # 7

Originally posted by a_miller_76
Originally posted by Dinkjs You forgot something else that is vary vital to having a great handling car...a nice little Limited Slip Differential Phantom Grip makes something sorta like a Limited Slip But Quaife makes a limited slip for our cars....this will also help you alot with handling because it is making both wheels spin....awesome idea for the twisties..especially coming out of a corner

I would love one, but I'm not spending that much money I've heard the phantom grips are falling apart and I seriously can't afford a quaife dif. I could go turbo for that kinda dough.

Yes a true coil over like Tein is far better and much more adjustable. If you are sticking with a separate spring shock combo, go with Koni's and Eibach.

If you really want to do it right, do the energy suspension bushing set, pain in the arse to install but the amount of deflection taken away by going to poly urathane is going to really stiffen the ride and firm up the handling.

From there you get into custom products for suspension, like chromoly control arms to get rid of the flex there.

As far as limited slip, don't go phantom grip style, if you can't afford Quaife, we are going to be doing a Retrofit group buy (around the end of the month) and be a dealer/installer of the Retrofit limited slip conversion. It's a good cost effective solution to a $1200 differential.

Put a good wheel and tire combo and your suspension would be killer.

Exile Racing Technologies: http://www.exileracing.com
una salus victus
Mods List: http://highlander.dsmpower.com/sig.htm

a_miller_76Jan-20-04 04:06 AM
Donating 2GNT member
9515 posts,
#22002, "RE: Building a handling MACHINE!"
In response to Reply # 11

Ahh, okay, so Koni/Eibach..cool. I may get some teins, depends on the money.

I did mention the bushings kit In fact in spring I'm going to a junkyard and buying all of the control arms for the suspension so I can take them to a machine shop and have them install the bushings kit so I don't have any down time on my car.

TeamMichael_97RSJan-20-04 04:16 AM
Donating 2GNT member
5866 posts,
#22003, "RE: Building a handling MACHINE!"
In response to Reply # 12

Ahh, okay, so Koni/Eibach..cool. I may get some teins, depends on the money. I did mention the bushings kit In fact in spring I'm going to a junkyard and buying all of the control arms for the suspension so I can take them to a machine shop and have them install the bushings kit so I don't have any down time on my car.

Dooh, guess by the time I got to the end I forgot... more coffee!

I'd love to build a set of chromoly control arms, upper and lower. I doubt they would sell though, and it's down on my list below power mods.

Exile Racing Technologies: http://www.exileracing.com
una salus victus
Mods List: http://highlander.dsmpower.com/sig.htm

a_miller_76Jan-20-04 04:37 AM
Donating 2GNT member
9515 posts,
#22004, "RE: Building a handling MACHINE!"
In response to Reply # 13

If I were to go with the Koni/Eibach as opposed to the tein setup is there an available pillow mount bushing in urethane (since tein has a solid pillow mount)? Those rubber ones suck ass, but I haven't seen that bushing in any of the ES kits or available outside of those kits.

TeametxJan-20-04 10:11 AM
Donating 2GNT member
9740 posts,
#22008, "RE: Building a handling MACHINE!"
In response to Reply # 14

Dude, I got the Tein SS coilovers. They are just plain sick, I love them. I got them so I could adjust them to be super stiff at the track and then soften them out for daily driving. No matter what you do our car will always be a straight line car, it will never be good in the twisties.

a_miller_76Jan-20-04 10:22 AM
Donating 2GNT member
9515 posts,
#22009, "RE: Building a handling MACHINE!"
In response to Reply # 15

Originally posted by etx
Dude, I got the Tein SS coilovers. They are just plain sick, I love them. I got them so I could adjust them to be super stiff at the track and then soften them out for daily driving. No matter what you do our car will always be a straight line car, it will never be good in the twisties.

Yeah, but I can make it better than it is as a stock RS model

DinkjsJan-20-04 01:39 PM
Member since Jun 16th 2002
1035 posts,
#22010, "RE: Building a handling MACHINE!"
In response to Reply # 16

I so beg to differ about this car being a straight line car....the torque and hp around 2 and 3rd and pretty good....this would be a major plus when coming out of the apex or a sharp corner where your having to brake hard and bring it down to 2nd gear....Go for it man...make it a handle monster.....I will think very highly of you...Road course people rock...drag strip people are boring hahahaa

Quarter mile drag racing is over rated

User #102283

"It takes a big man to cry but it takes a bigger man to laugh at him"

My9t5TalonJan-20-04 05:34 PM
Old School 2GNTer
963 posts,
#22018, "RE: Building a handling MACHINE!"
In response to Reply # 17

Originally posted by Dinkjs
User #102283

Off topic...but you are only User #2283...sorry to burst your bubble.

William 'Tha.Will' McGroarty

~*Roary*~
Sick Skillz

Amish_EclipseJan-20-04 07:37 PM
Old School 2GNTer
3026 posts,
#22019, "RE: Building a handling MACHINE!"
In response to Reply # 18
Jan-20-04 07:41 PM by Amish_Eclipse

if you want serious handling then your first stop should be the Tein coils. it shouldn't be an "if i can squeeze it in the budget" item. it should be an "i'll build the rest around this" item. do the tein's first. then the rest will fall into place. also learning how to drive with the improved suspension (tein) will give you an idea of how much farther you need to go.

for wheel's/tires. the 3rd gen RX7 rims are perfect. they're 8" wide so 225's will fit nicely. only reason to go another route would be if you didn't like the way they looked. for tires you said you wanted something that will last a bit but still grip. look for V speed rating tires. that's the lowest performance designation. should last more than one season specially if you use snow tires.

the LSD would help alot but i can understand where you're coming from with price.

http://www.ocaddict.com

thanks beefgg for the sig

FlyinEsiJan-21-04 05:07 PM
Donating 2GNT member
5187 posts,
#22035, "RE: Building a handling MACHINE!"
In response to Reply # 19

Did anybody mention front and rear lower tie bars??

1/4 Mile: 17.4651 | 1/4 MPH: 76.69 @ 7,000 ft
www.geocities.com/rockyourworld182/

MCubed45Jan-21-04 08:17 PM
Member since Sep 17th 2002
2706 posts,
#22038, "RE: Building a handling MACHINE!"
In response to Reply # 20
Jan-21-04 08:19 PM by MCubed45

Originally posted by FlyinEsi
Did anybody mention front and rear lower tie bars??

I already have front and rear upper and lower strut bars. anyone have any suggestions?

ya he did..
the lowers get called different things sometimes
not to be confused with sway bars though

-marc

espilcEGSJan-22-04 06:12 AM
Old School 2GNTer
257 posts,
#22042, "RE: Building a handling MACHINE!"
In response to Reply # 21

If you want a serious coilover, go with a set of JIC Magic FLT-A2's. You get maximum suspension travel at any height setting, unlike the Tein.

ShockeclipseJan-22-04 04:23 PM
Member since May 18th 2003
2139 posts,
#22053, "RE: Building a handling MACHINE!"
In response to Reply # 22

I love my tein coilovers. I have the type-flex with the edfc so I can control my ride quality from inside the vehicle. I have yet to install my edfc yet but just from playing around with the adjustments on the coilovers manually it makes such a big difference over any spring/shock combination I have ridden on. Tein is defiantely a good way to go.

"We're the middle children of history, man. No purpose or great depression. Our great war is a spiritual war; our great depression is our lives. We've all been raised on television to believe that one day we'd all be millionaires and movie gods and rock stars. But we won't. And we're slowly learning that fact. And we're very , very pissed off"

Originally posted by turbo8u
every time i get in it and start it up im like 'oh...yea, you know why you just started right there bitch? because i built you...yea...you like it dont you, yea and you're about to take this boost like a bitch too arent you

MotoFoolJan-24-04 10:55 AM
Member since Sep 08th 2002
2103 posts,
#22093, "RE: Building a handling MACHINE!"
In response to Reply # 23

think about it if your gonna pay around 110$ each for konis atleast and 250-300$ for eibachs why not just plop down 850-900$ for te teins SS edition

if i was creating a handling car id get falken azenis they will go fast if you constantly burn then but other then that they last a good while, and are one of the stickiest tires for the money you get.

16" or 17" wheels would be best.

sway bars tie bars real strut bars. 10 point roll cage carbon fiber hood for a little more structural strength on the front. id go with prothane bushings a little stiffer then energy's.

with that setup you will be rockin.

hell with just the teins you might not even want any more because they handle so well....

JIC's if bought from road race are nice cause they are hand tuned in shop for our cars.

You can have it cheap, fast or good. Pick any two.

If you want it cheap and fast, it's not going to be good.
If you want it cheap and good, it's not going to be fast.
If you want it good and fast, it's not going to be cheap.

a_miller_76Jan-24-04 11:35 AM
Donating 2GNT member
9515 posts,
#22095, "RE: Building a handling MACHINE!"
In response to Reply # 24

Where are you getting Tein SS for $800?

Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #21986 Previous topic | Next topic