Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 2 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #18238
View in threaded mode

Subject: "changing brake pads (rear)??" Previous topic | Next topic
phatGSJun-05-03 06:35 PM
Old School 2GNTer
541 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#18238, "changing brake pads (rear)??"

Anyone got a walkthrough or wanna just type here real quick how to change the rear brake pads on GS disc brakes?

Brandon
'95 GS, Auto.
AEM Cold Air w/ bypass valve
Front Upper Strut Brace
Maxspeed coilovers

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
MannyyyJun-05-03 07:08 PM
Member since Dec 08th 2001
1526 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#18239, "RE: changing brake pads (rear)??"
In response to Reply # 0
Jun-05-03 07:14 PM by Mannyyy

Real easy. First off take out the cup holder/ash tray assembly to loosen the emergency brake cable. You don't have to take it off, just give it a little slack.

Then raise the car and remove the wheel. There are two bolts on the back of the caliper. Remove one of them, and flip the caliper either up or down (depending if you removed the top or bottom bolt).

There are two brake pads on each rotor... one in front of it and another behind it. Pull them straight out and stick new pads back in. Then flip the caliper back, pry it apart (you can use your hands to pry it open) and put it back in place. Put the bolt back in and tighten it up. That's it.

Note: Chilton's mentions some stuff about draining your brake fluid or something... but I found I didn't have to do this though, at least not for the rear pads.

Edit: Oh and also make you sure transfer the little metal shield from the old pads to the new pads.

-Manny

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Jason_99ozGSJun-05-03 07:20 PM
Member since Jun 04th 2003
1286 posts,
#18240, "RE: changing brake pads (rear)??"
In response to Reply # 1

You may also have to use a C Clamp to compress the piston so you can get the thicker pads to fit. Just tighten the C Clamp against the piston until it's all the way compressed and take the clamp off and the piston will remain compressed so you can put the pads in.

Also before driving, start up your car and pump the brakes a few times to extend the the piston fully. Any questions just ask.. I can get pics if needed.

1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS -Sold, I miss it

phatGSJun-09-03 07:11 PM
Old School 2GNTer
541 posts,
#18287, "RE: changing brake pads (rear)??"
In response to Reply # 2

thanks for the help, i'll let you all know if i run into any problems.

Brandon
'95 GS, Auto.
AEM Cold Air w/ bypass valve
Front Upper Strut Brace
Maxspeed coilovers

Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #18238 Previous topic | Next topic