Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 2 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #17992
View in linear mode

Subject: "Car you patch the CV boots on the axle like a raft? Or what do I need to do?" Previous topic | Next topic
KirbyMay-27-03 07:25 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2181 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#17992, "Car you patch the CV boots on the axle like a raft? Or what do I need to do?"

I have a tear in my drivers side boot and grease is shooting out if it while I drive. (I know because it's all over the body of the car) Can I use a rubber patch like for a raft on this thing or do I have to replace the boot? And how hard is it to replace the boot, what is involved with doing so.

I edited to the wiki!

Originally posted by DR1665
NOTE TO SELF: Go commando to wedding. Scar the Irishman for life.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

ErikMay-27-03 11:00 AM
Donating 2GNT member
1536 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#17996, "RE: Car you patch the CV boots on the axle like a raft? Or what do I need to do?"
In response to Reply # 0

I would replace the boot rather than patch it. I have to ask how long has it been torn? If crap has gotten in there, then it's going to act like sandpaper on your CV joint and eventually make it fail. To get the boot off, just take the wheel off, take your disk off, then remove the castle nut off the spindle. Swing the spindle out of the way and just take the boot off. You might look into how much a shaft would be since you are already going through the trouble just to replace a boot. I would recommending replacing the shaft, unless it's pretty new already or you saw the tear fairly recently.

Shit is all apart. Typical...

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Amish_EclipseMay-27-03 06:28 PM
Old School 2GNTer
3026 posts,
#18007, "RE: Car you patch the CV boots on the axle like a raft? Or what do I need to do?"
In response to Reply # 1
May-27-03 06:34 PM by Amish_Eclipse

if they're relatively new joints than you could prolly get away with just a boot. if they're old or you aren't sure how old they are just get new axles. there's no point in fixing something now just to replace it in 20,000 miles or so.

look at the inside of your wheel. if the greese on there looks fresh than you can prolly get away with doing the boot because if it's still fresh on the wheel than it's prolly a pretty recent tear. if it's dusty and has stuff stuck to it than i wouldn't chance it as it's been leaking for some time and prolly devoid of any grease on the joint at all. if it's all leaked out than fixing the boot and re greasing won't help cause it's already contaminated.

http://www.ocaddict.com

thanks beefgg for the sig

KirbyMay-28-03 08:35 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2181 posts,
#18033, "RE: Car you patch the CV boots on the axle like a raft? Or what do I need to do?"
In response to Reply # 2

Well this is a stage 3 axel from driveshaft shop.com so it won't be to easy to replace parts for it. Does the boot just slide off and the new one slide right on? It's the boot closest to the tranny not the wheel.

I edited to the wiki!

Originally posted by DR1665
NOTE TO SELF: Go commando to wedding. Scar the Irishman for life.

Amish_EclipseMay-28-03 08:59 AM
Old School 2GNTer
3026 posts,
#18035, "RE: Car you patch the CV boots on the axle like a raft? Or what do I need to do?"
In response to Reply # 3

ohh. pretty sure that could still be replaced. like i said as long as it's pretty fresh it'd be worth the time. you may have to take the boot to a parts place and see if they can match it to something. unless you can get a part number or something from the place you got it.

http://www.ocaddict.com

thanks beefgg for the sig

Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #17992 Previous topic | Next topic