Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #17443
View in linear mode

Subject: "GSX Master cylinder" Previous topic | Next topic
jamesmanApr-30-03 09:52 AM
Old School 2GNTer
1339 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#17443, "GSX Master cylinder"

Anyone know if we can swap the gsx master into our brake booster? i'm getting wilwood 6 pot brakes and they recommend using the 1 inch master, but i think the brake booster is different from the Turbo and NT.

Thanks
james

Rest In Peace Heidi Doggy

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: GSX Master cylinder, zhr420, Apr-30-03 09:58 AM, #1
RE: GSX Master cylinder, fasterGS, Apr-30-03 11:01 AM, #2
      RE: GSX Master cylinder, jamesman, May-01-03 06:31 AM, #3
           RE: GSX Master cylinder, juggalo, May-01-03 04:18 PM, #4
                RE: GSX Master cylinder, jamesman, May-02-03 06:19 AM, #5
                     RE: GSX Master cylinder, juggalo, May-02-03 08:19 AM, #6
                     RE: GSX Master cylinder, bedlam32570, May-03-03 05:09 PM, #7
                          RE: GSX Master cylinder, Karl, May-22-03 09:45 PM, #8
                     RE: GSX Master cylinder, 420AYE, Jun-22-03 06:29 PM, #10
RE: GSX Master cylinder, WheatKing, Jun-18-03 05:06 AM, #9
RE: GSX Master cylinder, wakeboard99, Jul-17-03 04:11 AM, #11
      RE: GSX Master cylinder, darosa4561, Jul-17-03 06:29 AM, #12
RE: GSX Master cylinder, mrlocalpimp, Aug-04-03 09:52 PM, #13
RE: GSX Master cylinder, The1Bill, Aug-24-03 10:14 PM, #14
RE: GSX Master cylinder, MajinVejitaXV, Oct-31-03 03:10 PM, #15
RE: GSX Master cylinder, jamesman, Nov-11-03 04:57 AM, #16
      RE: GSX Master cylinder, Chamuko, Nov-14-03 08:43 AM, #17
           RE: GSX Master cylinder, jamesman, Nov-14-03 08:54 AM, #18
                RE: GSX Master cylinder, Chamuko, Nov-14-03 09:00 AM, #19
                     RE: GSX Master cylinder, TeamXtremeRS, Jun-06-05 03:13 PM, #20
                          RE: GSX Master cylinder, totaleklipse97, Jun-22-05 08:06 PM, #21
                               RE: GSX Master cylinder, AdministratorStar Turbo Talon, Feb-19-06 10:48 AM, #22
                                    RE: GSX Master cylinder, axelthrasher, Jul-10-06 05:43 PM, #23
                                         RE: GSX Master cylinder, AdministratorStar Turbo Talon, Jul-13-06 12:50 AM, #24

zhr420Apr-30-03 09:58 AM
Old School 2GNTer
557 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#17444, "RE: GSX Master cylinder"
In response to Reply # 0

i remember someone asking about that before, it fits and it is bolt on. but don't quote me on that.
later
"Z"

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

fasterGSApr-30-03 11:01 AM
Donating 2GNT member
3879 posts,
Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#17447, "RE: GSX Master cylinder"
In response to Reply # 1

Thats what I remember too, it bolts on and is 1" instead of 15/16" or something.

jamesmanMay-01-03 06:31 AM
Old School 2GNTer
1339 posts,
#17481, "RE: GSX Master cylinder"
In response to Reply # 2

thanks,
I know the diameter is 1/16 inch bigger, but in the FSM there are 2 different boosters, one fot the 4g's and one for us, i don't know if they have different part numbers however. maybe they are the same and just represented pictorially in the fsm as different.
Thanks
James

juggaloMay-01-03 04:18 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2945 posts,
#17494, "RE: GSX Master cylinder"
In response to Reply # 3

in the 99 FSM it shows that all the cars with ABS have the same booster and master cylinder.

dsm/mitsubishi service manuals https://www.mediafire.com/folder/5k14qlaulb9s1/dsm_mitsubishi

service manuals(my whole collection) https://www.mediafire.com/folder/ac51jwwa3g1n1/automotive_manuals

jamesmanMay-02-03 06:19 AM
Old School 2GNTer
1339 posts,
#17499, "RE: GSX Master cylinder"
In response to Reply # 4

I don't have abs, maybe the booster was an abs non abs thing rather than a gsx not gsx thing

lates
james

juggaloMay-02-03 08:19 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2945 posts,
#17500, "RE: GSX Master cylinder"
In response to Reply # 5

okay this will tell you what each model has.

dsm/mitsubishi service manuals https://www.mediafire.com/folder/5k14qlaulb9s1/dsm_mitsubishi

service manuals(my whole collection) https://www.mediafire.com/folder/ac51jwwa3g1n1/automotive_manuals

bedlam32570May-03-03 05:09 PM
Member since Jan 09th 2002
1240 posts,
#17520, "RE: GSX Master cylinder"
In response to Reply # 6

if you swap out the master cylinder, they say to swap the brake booster too that way you get the benefit of it. that's what they recommend you do that. some brake systems do offer you the whole thing.

KarlMay-22-03 09:45 PM
Old School 2GNTer
289 posts,
#17911, "RE: GSX Master cylinder"
In response to Reply # 7

James, after having this discussion with you a while back about the AWD master brake cylinder, I asked Mike@RRE last time I went there. He says that the 2G AWD master brake cylinder will bolt up to our brake booster.

Karl
97 GS
04 BMW 330i ZHP

420AYEJun-22-03 06:29 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2850 posts,
#18550, "RE: GSX Master cylinder"
In response to Reply # 5
Jun-22-03 06:32 PM by 420AYE

>I don't have abs, maybe the booster was an abs non abs thing
>rather than a gsx not gsx thing
>
>lates
>james

no abs? are you fat? try some crunches

this thread is old by the way.

EDIT: maybe its not old. i've just seen the same diagram before..

Having Problems? Heres my Three step solution to anything 2gnt related.
Step 1: Put down everything in your hands.
Step 2: Grab a lucky strike, Smoke it.
Step 3: Walk to the fridge, double fist some keystone ice, sit down in the shade, drink one beer, finish cigarette, drink other beer, roll a joint, smoke it, walk back to your problem, and in about 5 minutes the solution will come to you.
If not. Go here: here

If still nothing, your trying to hard. Start over at step 1.

WheatKingJun-18-03 05:06 AM
Old School 2GNTer
133 posts,
#18477, "RE: GSX Master cylinder"
In response to Reply # 0

I'd go with the VR-4 (3KGT) master with the 6pots.. just me.. it's 1-1/16" piston.. and again.. should be a bolt up affair..

make for nice hard brakes..

-- WheatKing

wakeboard99Jul-17-03 04:11 AM
Member since Apr 15th 2003
65 posts,
#18963, "RE: GSX Master cylinder"
In response to Reply # 9

Now that would be sweet, but i doubt there are alot of VR4's laying around that you can pick apart.. lol.

Maybe just a regular 3000 gt would be an upgrad.. humm..?!?

Stage III HRC
8.5:1 compression
12 psi @ 2300 rpm
fully built engine..
oo.. and it goes vroom

best et. 14.49 @ 101

darosa4561Jul-17-03 06:29 AM
Member since Sep 01st 2002
245 posts,
#18968, "RE: GSX Master cylinder"
In response to Reply # 11

whats the difference between the VR4 booster to the SL booster.

1997 Dodge Avenger I-4 5-Speed
DreamSpeed Cold Air Intake,AF/X Under Drive Pully, ES Motor Mount Inserts, MSD DIS2, MSD Coil Pack, MSD 8.5mm Wires,Aluminem Flywheel,Spec Stage1 Clutch,Crank Scraper, Quaife LSD,Airmass 4-1 Headers, Test Pipe, Bosal Catback,B&M Short SHifter(50%),Symbroski Shifter Kit, Grounding Kit, Solid Front Motor Mount

mrlocalpimpAug-04-03 09:52 PM
Old School 2GNTer
4518 posts,
#19296, "RE: GSX Master cylinder"
In response to Reply # 0

oops edit

I got banned for being a constant tard.

The1BillAug-24-03 10:14 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2292 posts,
#19548, "RE: GSX Master cylinder"
In response to Reply # 13

There is a 1/16" difference in size between the VR-4 MC and the SL MC. Comes from those huge effin' brakes on the VR-4. So, in other words, the difference between the VR-4 and SL MCs is the length of MLP's dick... 1/16".
-=B-=

Dude, Boeing called. They want their wing back.

Dark0ne95: There is a butthole on that girl that his going to feel the wrath of 23 yeras of worldwide hate.
Me: Can I put that in my sig?
Dark0ne95: GO right fucking ahead.

MajinVejitaXVOct-31-03 03:10 PM
Member since Nov 19th 2002
446 posts,
#20812, "RE: GSX Master cylinder"
In response to Reply # 0

So, if I have a Talon without ABS, does that mean I can't get a GSX, or hell even a 3KGT master cylinder and use it? Can someone clear this up for me?

Thanks,
Corey

jamesmanNov-11-03 04:57 AM
Old School 2GNTer
1339 posts,
#21021, "RE: GSX Master cylinder"
In response to Reply # 15

Okay so you are saying that the 3kgt vr-4 master cylinder is the same bolt pattern as ours? has anyone swapped this into our cars? i mean is it a direct swap affair. I was thinking of doing this but going to a 1" master from the gsx is making me wonder if 1/16" is gonna make a big difference? If the vr4 has a 1 1/16" maste then i could see a large benefit. I think I will go to pep boys and see if they have both masters in stock so I can do a comparison to see if this will work.

lates
james

ChamukoNov-14-03 08:43 AM
Donating 2GNT member
3668 posts,
#21067, "RE: GSX Master cylinder"
In response to Reply # 16

Did you find anything out James?

Member # 751

FOUNDER of the Central Cali chapter of 2GNT!
(I got kicked out after I refused to go Cow tiping) - Hehehe you know who this is for

jamesmanNov-14-03 08:54 AM
Old School 2GNTer
1339 posts,
#21068, "RE: GSX Master cylinder"
In response to Reply # 17

Nope,
nobody in hell has that master in stock! even the freaking dealer needs to order it so i have had no luck. 1 1/16 i think is way too big, After consulting with some professionals i think the conclusion that the 1 inch master is ideal.

lates
james

ChamukoNov-14-03 09:00 AM
Donating 2GNT member
3668 posts,
#21070, "RE: GSX Master cylinder"
In response to Reply # 18

Even with you insane brake set up? Ideal in terms of your system? a stock one? or gsx dpc?or maybe all around. Sorry if im bugging, ideal is just too broad of a term for us.

Member # 751

FOUNDER of the Central Cali chapter of 2GNT!
(I got kicked out after I refused to go Cow tiping) - Hehehe you know who this is for

TeamXtremeRSJun-06-05 03:13 PM
Member since May 20th 2003
6329 posts,
#27251, "RE: GSX Master cylinder"
In response to Reply # 19

Gonna bump this... So has anyone swapped a GSX master on our cars yet?? Does it fit/work better than the stocker? Been thinking about this lately, just dont know if anyone has actually done this or tried it out.

13.5 @108 MPH-2.2 60ft(stupid FWD!)
S16G @ 18 PSI/FMIC/Running on MegaSquirt II (Now with sequential
fuel injection)

My webpage: http://eclipsed4evr.home.comcast.net
-1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse RS-T- "Toy"
-1992 Plymouth Laser Turbo AWD(SOLD)
-2000 Honda CR-V(daily)

totaleklipse97Jun-22-05 08:06 PM
Member since May 14th 2003
3589 posts,
#27358, "RE: GSX Master cylinder"
In response to Reply # 20

well matt so far it looks like no one has.. we can try if you want. I have to do the dpc gsx swap in the front and we could knock it all out in one swoop and see if the gsx mc bolts up to a 2gnt w/o ABS. For $10 it's worth a shot, I don't mind spending the money if it makes a difference or not. Although after going from a stock setup to a GSX DPC with brembo cross drilled and slotted rotors and RRE SS brake lines I doubt I will notice the difference of 1/16 larger on the MC. Althought the gsx mc seals might be less prone to failure on hard braking with the SS lines. The added pressure of the system is usually compensated for in the rubber stock lines, takin that away with SS lines the pressure is more than likely then placed on the seals of the MC. What do you think??

-----------------------------------

My DSM registry.......Powered By Exile Racing
VW= The joy of driving
DSM= The frustration of fixing

The wonders of 2gnt chat:

‹totaleklipse97› so what benefits do i get from being ur e-boyfriend
‹Jen› uh... the honor?
‹totaleklipse97› somehow i guess i got that title now
‹Jen› somehow.....

AdministratorStar Turbo TalonFeb-19-06 10:48 AM
Member since Oct 21st 2003
8331 posts,
#28770, "RE: GSX Master cylinder"
In response to Reply # 21
Mar-23-06 07:27 PM by Star Turbo Talon

I have the GSX master cylinder. My pedal travel is only 2" when i feel the brakes grabbing. to me it makes a difference compared to the single piston/RS master.

axelthrasherJul-10-06 05:43 PM
Member since Jun 15th 2006
70 posts,
#29594, "RE: GSX Master cylinder"
In response to Reply # 22

Terry - did you ever upgrade the brake booster too? Or are you running the stock RS one? Thanks.

AdministratorStar Turbo TalonJul-13-06 12:50 AM
Member since Oct 21st 2003
8331 posts,
#29606, "RE: GSX Master cylinder"
In response to Reply # 23

Brake booster is the same i think, only difference miht have been the ABS one. Never replaced it.

Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #17443 Previous topic | Next topic