Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #11613
View in linear mode

Subject: "how do i stop wheel hop" Previous topic | Next topic
trdberdAug-19-02 07:32 AM
Member since Jul 23rd 2002
48 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#11613, "how do i stop wheel hop"

every time i launch my car where the tires would spin i just hops up and down. what can i do to make the tires stick better

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: how do i stop wheel hop, BoostedGS, Aug-19-02 07:47 AM, #1
RE: how do i stop wheel hop, ModeratorVX100, Aug-19-02 07:54 AM, #2
RE: how do i stop wheel hop, tacoman123, Aug-19-02 08:12 AM, #3
      RE: how do i stop wheel hop, BuckNutty, Aug-19-02 10:46 AM, #4
           RE: how do i stop wheel hop, Logic3, Aug-19-02 11:28 AM, #5
                RE: how do i stop wheel hop, trdberd, Aug-19-02 01:50 PM, #6
                     RE: how do i stop wheel hop, tacoman123, Aug-19-02 03:12 PM, #7
                     RE: how do i stop wheel hop, Logic3, Aug-19-02 06:23 PM, #8
                          RE: how do i stop wheel hop, 1TuffRS, Aug-20-02 12:53 AM, #9
                               RE: how do i stop wheel hop, whodatt1, Aug-20-02 07:53 AM, #10
                                    RE: how do i stop wheel hop, Jarrad_GST, Aug-20-02 09:11 AM, #11
                                         RE: how do i stop wheel hop, vegasdsmr, Aug-20-02 11:10 AM, #12
                                              RE: how do i stop wheel hop, EclipzeGamer, Aug-20-02 06:54 PM, #13
                                                   RE: how do i stop wheel hop, BoostedGS, Aug-21-02 12:53 AM, #14
                                                        RE: how do i stop wheel hop, Jarrad_GST, Aug-21-02 03:49 AM, #15
                                                             RE: how do i stop wheel hop, 1TuffRS, Aug-21-02 04:23 AM, #16
                                                                  RE: how do i stop wheel hop, BoostedGS, Aug-21-02 05:12 AM, #17
                                                                       RE: how do i stop wheel hop, Logic3, Aug-21-02 05:32 AM, #18
                                                                            RE: how do i stop wheel hop, Jasvb TS2K2, Aug-21-02 03:45 PM, #19

BoostedGSAug-19-02 07:47 AM
Member since Jun 30th 2002
1329 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#11614, "RE: how do i stop wheel hop"
In response to Reply # 0

better suspension and motor mount inserts help prevent/lessen wheel hop.

You are not your job.
You're not how much money you have in the bank.
You're not the car you drive.
You're not the contents of your wallet.
You're not your fu**ing post count.

97 Eclipse GS - *SOLD*
01 Audi A6 2.7T
01 YZF-R6

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

ModeratorVX100Aug-19-02 07:54 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2831 posts,
#11615, "RE: how do i stop wheel hop"
In response to Reply # 0

You are launching too hard. Take it easier on the launch. If you are wheel hopping you are spinning the tires too much anyway. suspension will help, such as adjustable shocks and motor mount inserts will help even more, but don't try to cover up the real problem of launching incorrectly with modifications.

"Tutto fa brodo."

Todd Scungio
98 RS
15.173 @ 90.70 MPH

And also a 2011 Ralliart

tacoman123Aug-19-02 08:12 AM
Old School 2GNTer
2678 posts,
#11616, "RE: how do i stop wheel hop"
In response to Reply # 2

If you make your rear suspension harder, won't it help a little bit more?

Also, you can use those ___________ bars... (I forgot the name), but you can't use those on the street, track only..

~Tacoman

"Yes, I really do want to get banned. I no longer want to spend hours upon hours online anymore. This site is great and all, but I don't want to come online anymore. I suck, period. Ban me, please.

Thank you.

-Tahleel"

BuckNuttyAug-19-02 10:46 AM
Donating 2GNT member
7235 posts,
#11617, "RE: how do i stop wheel hop"
In response to Reply # 3

rear and upper strut bars, anti sway bars, LSD ...As far as i know all "bars" that you can get for your car are street legal, if you can have a roll cage then i don't see why you can't have an anti sway bar.

Logic3Aug-19-02 11:28 AM
Old School 2GNTer
1227 posts,
#11618, "RE: how do i stop wheel hop"
In response to Reply # 4

I think Todd hit the nail on the head. Bring those RPM's down a little bit when you launch.

Best bang for the buck "wheel hop eliminator" would be motor mount inserts and struts. I really felt an improvement in my launches after the MM's were installed. At $20 for the Energy Suspension inserts you can't go wrong.

trdberdAug-19-02 01:50 PM
Member since Jul 23rd 2002
48 posts,
#11619, "RE: how do i stop wheel hop"
In response to Reply # 5

are the mm hard to install

tacoman123Aug-19-02 03:12 PM
Old School 2GNTer
2678 posts,
#11620, "RE: how do i stop wheel hop"
In response to Reply # 6

I meant wheelie bars, I forgot the name, it was on the tip of my tongue, but I couldn't think of it earlier..

~Tacoman

"Yes, I really do want to get banned. I no longer want to spend hours upon hours online anymore. This site is great and all, but I don't want to come online anymore. I suck, period. Ban me, please.

Thank you.

-Tahleel"

Logic3Aug-19-02 06:23 PM
Old School 2GNTer
1227 posts,
#11621, "RE: how do i stop wheel hop"
In response to Reply # 6

>are the mm hard to install

Yes and no. The front mm is any easy 30 mins or so... The rear, well thats a different story. Check HadesOmegas link out for mm install write up with pics... http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4292192363

1TuffRSAug-20-02 12:53 AM
Old School 2GNTer
2338 posts,
#11622, "RE: how do i stop wheel hop"
In response to Reply # 8

well I dont know about you guys but I still get wheel hop when its wet outside, even with the motor mounts and it kinda pisses me off.

Toney
'97 RS 5 Speed (totaled)
15.4606@88.42 Mph
96 Toyota Celica GT
88 Toyota Supra NA-T (w/ sports package)
Got Boost?? Hell yeah I-6 turbo powah baby!

whodatt1Aug-20-02 07:53 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2531 posts,
#11623, "RE: how do i stop wheel hop"
In response to Reply # 9

no wheel hop here after inserting both front and rear motor mounts.

-97 GS (First project, 299 whp)(sold)
- 97 RS 2.6 last numbers: 306hp, 352tq @16psi (Dead, parted out)
- 99 GS OZ, Hahn Kit, 56k miles (Sold)
--------
- 00 Nissan Maxima GLE (Daily Driver)
- 02 Audi A4 1.8T Quattro

Jarrad_GSTAug-20-02 09:11 AM
Member since Jun 23rd 2002
650 posts,
Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#11624, "RE: how do i stop wheel hop"
In response to Reply # 10

I have heard bad side effect from getting the poly urethane motor mounts. I would get them b/c they are so cheap and everything but, I have heard bad things about them. Can you give me a little bit more detail on them.

Does it allow you to have better launches, so I can rev at higher rpms and not get wheep hop.

somebody told me they mess up your car.

97' GST(4G63)
Evo 16G Eclipse

vegasdsmrAug-20-02 11:10 AM
Old School 2GNTer
4713 posts,
#11625, "RE: how do i stop wheel hop"
In response to Reply # 11

http://seangordon1.tripod.com

i have a writeup for the front mount...and a cuple ideas/links to help out in the area...

basically since our cars are fwd, the engine rocks back and forth when revvd... on a manual 2gnt, it is easy to break em loose in first, and the tires will hop up and down....

sumthin about inertia, and our suspension...

do a lil search on motor mounts, and u will learn more...

i never heard anything bad about em, actually, the worst bein the increased vibration at idle, w/the a/c on, and in the upper rpm range...

good luck either way.. definately a good mod imo...werth 20 bux

03 srt-4 13.130@112.47mph (n2o, stock turbo, 10/2003)
now: 20g, portfueler, bpu+++ (track/dyno times tbd...)

i farted on your wiki

EclipzeGamerAug-20-02 06:54 PM
Donating 2GNT member
999 posts,
#11626, "RE: how do i stop wheel hop"
In response to Reply # 12

Is it worth putting in the rear mounts too? Or are just the front mounts good enough?

Jaeson
'96 Eclipse RS

Looks:
APC Euro clear bumper lens
front grill
chrome front emblem
Razo carbon fiber pedals
carbon fiber gauge bezel

Performance:
Perma-Cool oil cooler
custom airbox
GS-T muffler

On The Way:
Kaminari GTR wing off Shauns NER Eclipse
Hurricane_GS front & rear lower tie bars
95-96 side skirts

Smiley face 4 life!

Jaeson
'96 Eclipse RS

BoostedGSAug-21-02 12:53 AM
1329 posts,
#11627, "RE: how do i stop wheel hop"
In response to Reply # 13

We seem to be talking about 2 different things here. Jarrad_GST is talking about the polyurethane motor mounts, which do cause a lot more vibration. You have to press out your stock motor mounts and press in the polyurethane ones, which are MUCH stiffer.

But most people on this board get the motor mount INSERTS from Energy Suspension. Inserts are pieces that sit on the sides of the stock motor mount to stiffen it up a little without causing a lot more vibration.

You are not your job.

97 Eclipse GS - *SOLD*
01 Audi A6 2.7T
01 YZF-R6

Jarrad_GSTAug-21-02 03:49 AM
Member since Jun 23rd 2002
650 posts,
Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#11628, "RE: how do i stop wheel hop"
In response to Reply # 14

IC, so the energy suspension motor mounts is what you have. I will have to get those and try them out. And now I do remeber idle gets worse with the motor mounts, but you say it isnt too bad. Thxs for the feedback.

97' GST(4G63)
Evo 16G Eclipse

1TuffRSAug-21-02 04:23 AM
Old School 2GNTer
2338 posts,
#11629, "RE: how do i stop wheel hop"
In response to Reply # 15

at idle with the ac off it isnt too bad, but once you turn it on I get a hell of a lot of vibration. I can actually hear and see my dash vibrating with the ac on high

Toney
'97 RS 5 Speed (totaled)
15.4606@88.42 Mph
96 Toyota Celica GT
88 Toyota Supra NA-T (w/ sports package)
Got Boost?? Hell yeah I-6 turbo powah baby!

BoostedGSAug-21-02 05:12 AM
1329 posts,
#11630, "RE: how do i stop wheel hop"
In response to Reply # 16

Yeah, just make sure you get the INSERTS, not the actual motor mounts. The inserts are fairly easy to install, no need to have them pressed in or anything. I think RRE sells them for like $29 or something like that.

You are not your job.

97 Eclipse GS - *SOLD*
01 Audi A6 2.7T
01 YZF-R6

Logic3Aug-21-02 05:32 AM
Old School 2GNTer
1227 posts,
#11631, "RE: how do i stop wheel hop"
In response to Reply # 17

Yup, the inserts are what I was referring to as well. www.summitracing.com $20

Jasvb TS2K2Aug-21-02 03:45 PM
Member since Jun 25th 2002
1419 posts,
#11632, "RE: how do i stop wheel hop"
In response to Reply # 18

What size wheels do you have? I have 18's and have tried several times to drop it at 2k-3k RPM's and no way will it grip. I think this was the reason for broken stabalizer links and tranny seals Maybe I should put my stock 16's back on, we'll see...

weasle745: and then to top it off, im not even an attractive guy. I look like Millhouse from the Simpsons, cant put on weight if my life depended on it, etc

Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #11613 Previous topic | Next topic