Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #27102
View in linear mode

Subject: "Power Steering rack replacement...." Previous topic | Next topic
OZ_GSMay-11-05 06:08 AM
Donating 2GNT member
1067 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#27102, "Power Steering rack replacement...."

How hard is it to replace the power steering rack on our cars? It seems that mine is shot. Any idea on the amount of time it may take on average or the level of difficulty. Any writeups available? Also any hookups on a used rack for sale?

Thanks in advance!

Chad

MODS:
3" PVC CAI, GST Muffler, Greddy 4-1 Header, AFX UDP, 55 mm bored TB, P&P Intake Manifold, Corbin intake spacer, gutted cat, Apexi S-AFC, KYB AGX Struts, Eibach Prokits, Excel TZ-10 Rims

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

a_miller_76May-11-05 06:12 AM
Donating 2GNT member
9515 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#27103, "RE: Power Steering rack replacement...."
In response to Reply # 0

Wow, long time no see Chad. Where ya been?

I think mine is shot too. Does your steering wheel bounce around when you have it turned hard right or left?

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

OZ_GSMay-11-05 06:37 AM
Donating 2GNT member
1067 posts,
#27104, "RE: Power Steering rack replacement...."
In response to Reply # 1

Yeah I have fluid leaking out of the rack and the wheel bounces like crazy. I found a used rack at a local salvage yard for $100 but everyone wants like 300 in labor to replace it.

My car has been in the garage since January because of the whole power steering problem and it had a run in with a culvert. Not pretty.... Alcohol, being pissed off at a woman, driving, and being just plain stupid all played pretty significant factors.

Chad

MODS:
3" PVC CAI, GST Muffler, Greddy 4-1 Header, AFX UDP, 55 mm bored TB, P&P Intake Manifold, Corbin intake spacer, gutted cat, Apexi S-AFC, KYB AGX Struts, Eibach Prokits, Excel TZ-10 Rims

ErikMay-11-05 08:22 AM
Donating 2GNT member
1536 posts,
#27105, "RE: Power Steering rack replacement...."
In response to Reply # 2

Shame on you Chad... Rack R&R shouldn't be that bad. Not having a lift will suck. Take some basic measurements of steering wheel location and alignment of the front end. I haven't had to do a rack in a really long time and it was in a full size truck the last time. Orielly's or Carquest won't sell you a new/rebuilt one? You'll have to have it realigned when your done too.

AdministratorStar Turbo TalonMay-11-05 10:01 PM
Member since Oct 21st 2003
8331 posts,
#27107, "RE: Power Steering rack replacement...."
In response to Reply # 3

Not hard just time consuming and a pain. I have a used one with low miles also that i can ship ya.

Remove washer bottle
Disconnect steering column from rack
Disconnect lines
Remove lower triangular braces
Remove tie rod from knuckle
Remove 4 bolts holding rack in
Remove drivers compression arm from body......allows you to move the rack around and remove it easier.

Should fall on to the exhaust at that time and give you room to weasle it out without dropping the exhaust.

Terry

OZ_GSMay-14-05 11:39 AM
Donating 2GNT member
1067 posts,
#27118, "RE: Power Steering rack replacement...."
In response to Reply # 4

Thanx for the info.... I will prolly give it a shot. I have a used one sitting in my garage ready to go on. I have a couple other issues to deal with first though.

MODS:

Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #27102 Previous topic | Next topic