Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 1 User in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #26493
View in linear mode

Subject: "To those that have done the rear brake conversion..." Previous topic | Next topic
oMInOUs97RSMar-09-05 03:20 AM
Member since Mar 22nd 2002
394 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#26493, "To those that have done the rear brake conversion..."

Do you know if the rear brake lines from the RS are compatible with the calipers? Thanks for any info.

"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new."
-Albert Einstein

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: To those that have done the rear brake conversion..., a_miller_76, Mar-10-05 01:15 AM, #1
RE: To those that have done the rear brake conversion..., AdministratorStar Turbo Talon, Mar-10-05 10:57 AM, #2
RE: To those that have done the rear brake conversion..., MCubed45, Mar-10-05 11:22 AM, #3
      RE: To those that have done the rear brake conversion..., a_miller_76, Mar-10-05 12:33 PM, #4
           RE: To those that have done the rear brake conversion..., AdministratorStar Turbo Talon, Mar-11-05 10:30 AM, #5
                RE: To those that have done the rear brake conversion..., turbo8u, Mar-12-05 07:54 AM, #6
                RE: To those that have done the rear brake conversion..., HiOnPSI, Mar-18-05 04:59 AM, #7
                RE: To those that have done the rear brake conversion..., MCubed45, Mar-26-05 06:12 PM, #8
                     RE: To those that have done the rear brake conversion..., AdministratorStar Turbo Talon, Mar-26-05 06:24 PM, #9
                          RE: To those that have done the rear brake conversion..., MCubed45, Mar-26-05 07:47 PM, #10
                               RE: To those that have done the rear brake conversion..., HadesOmega, Mar-28-05 04:55 PM, #11

a_miller_76Mar-10-05 01:15 AM
Donating 2GNT member
9515 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#26494, "RE: To those that have done the rear brake conversion..."
In response to Reply # 0

No, you need everything. Discs, calipers, hub assembly, brake lines, and e-brake cable/assembly. Nothing is compatible from one car to the other.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

AdministratorStar Turbo TalonMar-10-05 10:57 AM
Member since Oct 21st 2003
8331 posts,
#26500, "RE: To those that have done the rear brake conversion..."
In response to Reply # 1

you do not need the HUB

MCubed45Mar-10-05 11:22 AM
Member since Sep 17th 2002
2706 posts,
#26501, "RE: To those that have done the rear brake conversion..."
In response to Reply # 1
Mar-10-05 11:25 AM by MCubed45

Originally posted by a_miller_76
No, you need everything. Discs, calipers, hub assembly, brake lines, and e-brake cable/assembly. Nothing is compatible from one car to the other.

umm that's wrong. you can use the lines. otherwise they would sell separate SS brake line kits for RS models. the only difference is one of the mounting clips or something. i forget. i would've installed my SS lines on my drums but i'd lost them somewhere in the garage when i finally got around to working on the brakes. if you use the lines on the drums i think you replace two pieces of brake line whereas if you're installing the on discs it's a direct swap. i'm pretty sure that was the primary difference as far as the lines were concerned.

*edit*
oh yea other people who've done the swap said that they were able to keep their drum e-brake cables. there should be info on that if you search.

-marc

a_miller_76Mar-10-05 12:33 PM
Donating 2GNT member
9515 posts,
#26503, "RE: To those that have done the rear brake conversion..."
In response to Reply # 3

Wow, so what I was told was that wrong? Crazy.

AdministratorStar Turbo TalonMar-11-05 10:30 AM
8331 posts,
#26512, "RE: To those that have done the rear brake conversion..."
In response to Reply # 4
Mar-11-05 10:31 AM by Star Turbo Talon

I will double check when i get home but the brake lines are not interchangeable. the drum assy uses a hard line comming out of the wheel cylinder that is a male fitting where the rubberline has a female fitting that connects to the hard line. the connection of fittings on the frame are the same but the calipe uses a male fitting where the drum uses a SAE fitting on a hard line.

Terry

turbo8uMar-12-05 07:54 AM
Member since Jun 15th 2003
10552 posts,
#26518, "RE: To those that have done the rear brake conversion..."
In response to Reply # 5

Originally posted by Star Turbo Talon
brake lines are not interchangeable.

he's right. the actual brake line is not interchangeable, however the E-BRAKE cables will work just fine but you need to come up with a way to secure the line to the dust shield.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

96 Black ESi
91 Red TSI AWD (RIP)
02 WRX

"turnin wrenches for nine hours in the pouring rain, just to get the beast up and running again"

Aerospace Certified TIG welder for Precision Castparts in Portland, OR.

JoshSpair.com

HiOnPSIMar-18-05 04:59 AM
Member since Mar 28th 2002
2745 posts,
#26579, "RE: To those that have done the rear brake conversion..."
In response to Reply # 6

when I did mine, i heard they were interchangable, however i didn't use them.

Jon

1997 Eclipse RS
1998 Dodge Dakota Sport
12.671 @ 111.660 1.586 60' 5/28/04

www.haiokuracing.com

shaun> i'm sayin', bro!

MCubed45Mar-26-05 06:12 PM
2706 posts,
#26673, "RE: To those that have done the rear brake conversion..."
In response to Reply # 5
Mar-26-05 06:16 PM by MCubed45

I will double check when i get home but the brake lines are not interchangeable. the drum assy uses a hard line comming out of the wheel cylinder that is a male fitting where the rubberline has a female fitting that connects to the hard line. the connection of fittings on the frame are the same but the calipe uses a male fitting where the drum uses a SAE fitting on a hard line. Terry

oh yea that's what it was. you replace the hard line going into the cylinder. that's why when the shop that installed my other stuff looked at it they said it wasn't possible. then i went on here and the people that did it before said it replaces the rubber AND hard line. the male hard line going into the wheel cylinder on the drum brakes should be the same as the male rubber line going into the caliper on disc brakes. i coudn't remember what the specifics were but i knew it was something a little different to make it work on drums. so yea, pull off the rubber line AND the hard line and replace them both with the SS line.

do a search to be sure. i'll admit i haven't done it myself b/c i lost my rear SS lines but i know i researched this before. several people explained how to make them work on drums.

*edit*
ok i was bored and i hate giving out second hand information. here's one of several threads on the topic:

http://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=14949&mesg_id=14949&listing_type=search

so... YES YOU CAN USE THE SAME LINES ON DRUMS

just hafta replace the rubber line AND hard line...

yay marc wins!

-marc

AdministratorStar Turbo TalonMar-26-05 06:24 PM
8331 posts,
#26674, "RE: To those that have done the rear brake conversion..."
In response to Reply # 8

He didnt say stainless steel lines can be used.....he said the lines from the drum can be used on the caliper.

Some people need to learn to pay attention to detail when they post that you can and cat do something (omnious is who i am referring to) because just stating it in the way it was done is wrong and will give others who search the wrong info unless they ask for clarification in the matter.

Terry

MCubed45Mar-26-05 07:47 PM
2706 posts,
#26675, "RE: To those that have done the rear brake conversion..."
In response to Reply # 9
Mar-26-05 07:50 PM by MCubed45

He didnt say stainless steel lines can be used.....he said the lines from the drum can be used on the caliper. Some people need to learn to pay attention to detail when they post that you can and cat do something (omnious is who i am referring to) because just stating it in the way it was done is wrong and will give others who search the wrong info unless they ask for clarification in the matter. Terry

umm SS lines uses the same connections as regular lines. that's why they bolt up

neeeeways... regardless of whether the questions is about SS lines or regular lines, the fact remains that they're interchangeable. it might be a little ghetto to take the hard line and rubber line off your drums and bolt them up to your calipers but it *should* work. the connections are the same, it will just be a matter of redirecting the lines and ghetto-rigging your own brackets.

so yes they work.

-marc

HadesOmegaMar-28-05 04:55 PM
Old School 2GNTer
4529 posts,
#26681, "RE: To those that have done the rear brake conversion..."
In response to Reply # 10

http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4291359413

http://www.hadesomega.info -car specz and movies 95 Eclipse RS | 76' 280Z | 89' MR2 | 99 Neon | 91 Zephyr
Who sez FF can't drift?

Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #26493 Previous topic | Next topic