Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 2 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Engine Management Systems & Controllers topic #738
View in linear mode

Subject: "Spark works now" Previous topic | Next topic
Teamner947May-15-05 05:15 PM
Donating 2GNT member
3168 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#738, "Spark works now"
May-03-05 04:27 PM by ner947

Here is my table:

I've tested it up to 150 kPa and 7000 RPM's, there seems to be quite a bit more power using the MS for ignition control vs. the MSD and the stock ECU. I'm using a 4G63 igniter with the stock coil pack. My cranking dwell/running dwell/minimum discharge is 7.0/3.8/0.5

In order to get the engine to idle near one RPM and not surge back and forth between ~600 and ~1500, I had to fudge the timing to make it unpleasant for the engine to idle where it shouldn't. It works, but it's not a very good way to do it. The best way would be to control the factory IAC valve.

I haven't turned up the boost pressure to 200 kPa yet, I've been too much of a pussy to test it without race gas as a safety measure.

EDIT: Those bins that say "10" at the upper left are my impossible bins.

2016 WRX STi Limited (current)
2001 A4 1.8tqms (donated)
1991 GVR4 #1933 (sold)
old.dsmregistry.com/detail.php?carid=218 (dismantled)

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: Spark works now, TeamXtremeRS, May-03-05 04:57 PM, #1
RE: Spark works now, Teamner947, May-04-05 10:01 AM, #2
      RE: Spark works now, TeamXtremeRS, May-12-05 03:00 PM, #3
           RE: Spark works now, Teamner947, May-13-05 02:17 PM, #4
                RE: Spark works now, TeamXtremeRS, May-14-05 12:03 PM, #5
                     RE: Spark works now, Teamner947, May-15-05 03:14 PM, #6
                          RE: Spark works now, TeamXtremeRS, May-15-05 05:06 PM, #7

TeamXtremeRSMay-03-05 04:57 PM
Member since May 20th 2003
6329 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#739, "RE: Spark works now"
In response to Reply # 0

Hey Nate, isnt 7-10 degrees timing what we run with the stock ECU at idle? Thats what i usually see with a datalog anyway..

13.5 @108 MPH-2.2 60ft(stupid FWD!)
S16G @ 18 PSI/FMIC/Running on MegaSquirt II (Now with sequential
fuel injection)

My webpage: http://eclipsed4evr.home.comcast.net
-1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse RS-T- "Toy"
-1992 Plymouth Laser Turbo AWD(SOLD)
-2000 Honda CR-V(daily)

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Teamner947May-04-05 10:01 AM
Donating 2GNT member
3168 posts,
#747, "RE: Spark works now"
In response to Reply # 1

Could be, I don't remember. I haven't hooked up to my stock ECU in a very long time.

1991 GVR4 #1933 (sold)

TeamXtremeRSMay-12-05 03:00 PM
6329 posts,
#775, "RE: Spark works now"
In response to Reply # 2

Spark works for me now too Datalogging the stock ECU at idle, it see's about 5-8 degrees of timing advance, so that is what i set the 4 bins at idle, on the MS spark table. Idles good, and only has a 100 rpm surge. I think by having the stock coilpack trigger wires disconnected from the ECU, it's freaking out a bit, and may be making the stock IAC go a bit less controlable at idle, which is why it could be surging. That's just a guess though. The mitsu ignitor stays only lukewarm at idle, so looks like the dwell settings of 3.5ms, is a good match for our coilpack.

fuel injection)

-2000 Honda CR-V(daily)

Teamner947May-13-05 02:17 PM
Donating 2GNT member
3168 posts,
#779, "RE: Spark works now"
In response to Reply # 3

Originally posted by XtremeRS
...Datalogging the stock ECU at idle, it see's about 5-8 degrees of timing advance, so that is what i set the 4 bins at idle...

Nice. Looks like I hit the timing "by ear" pretty well at idle.

1991 GVR4 #1933 (sold)

TeamXtremeRSMay-14-05 12:03 PM
6329 posts,
#781, "RE: Spark works now"
In response to Reply # 4

Well after thinking about the idle issue some more I went out and played arouund with an idea..When I got the motor fully warmed up, I disconnected the stock IAC valve. I had drilled out the plug that covers the throttle stop adjustment screw, and turned the screw in a bit to get a little bit faster idle speed. It now idles around 900-1000 rpm, and it's MUCH more consistant without almost any surge at all. The only downfall to this is that during a cold start, you will have to keep your foot on the gas pedal to keep it from stalling, since there is no more "fast idle" when cold. I'd really like to incorperate a fast idle valve onto the stock TB, and I dont think it would be that hard to do. The MS is able to control one of these valves, so it's something I may try.

I think when the stock coilpack is disconnected from the ECU, the ECU starts to freak out and cant keep the IAC at a steady control rate, which is causing the idle surge in rpm.

I also took the car out today for the first time runnng full spark control, and it ran really, really well. I ran about 20-23 degrees of timing at 10 psi,and it feels pretty damn good. A/F was around 12.0-12.3:1 also, which is perfect for 10psi on my setup. Got absolutely NO detonation either. Stock advance under ALL boost levels was always around 17 degrees. This is nice, since now i can put in a few more degrees of timing under lower boost. Low boost feels damn good now, and pulls very smooth. The Megasquirt is just f'n cool

fuel injection)

-2000 Honda CR-V(daily)

Teamner947May-15-05 03:14 PM
Donating 2GNT member
3168 posts,
#789, "RE: Spark works now"
In response to Reply # 5

My car has been running very well too under fuel+spark. I really need to find some time to get rid of these 415 cc/min injectors put the 780's back in and turn up the boost pressure on this 16G. I've never gone beyond 200 kPa or so, I think 220-230 kPa would be a good boost pressure for this turbo. Matt, what do you think would be a good advance to run at this boost pressure? If I had to guess, I'd say around 16 degrees at peak torque then slowly increase the timing to around 20 degrees at redline?

Also, what are you doing to monitor knock? I don't have any kind of knock monitoring system other than my ears.

1991 GVR4 #1933 (sold)

TeamXtremeRSMay-15-05 05:06 PM
6329 posts,
#790, "RE: Spark works now"
In response to Reply # 6
May-15-05 05:12 PM by XtremeRS

Originally posted by ner947
My car has been running very well too under fuel+spark. I really need to find some time to get rid of these 415 cc/min injectors put the 780's back in and turn up the boost pressure on this 16G. I've never gone beyond 200 kPa or so, I think 220-230 kPa would be a good boost pressure for this turbo. Matt, what do you think would be a good advance to run at this boost pressure? If I had to guess, I'd say around 16 degrees at peak torque then slowly increase the timing to around 20 degrees at redline? Also, what are you doing to monitor knock? I don't have any kind of knock monitoring system other than my ears.

Well I can run 15 psi(approx 200kpa) with 17 degrees of advance with no knock, running 93 octane, and pretty rich at around 11.0:1 A/F. It was my goal with the MS to max out the S16G on 93 pump gas, which I think is obtainable with careful spark and A/F tuning. I use a knock meter made by MSD, but it's not the greatest, although it does detect knock. Usually I will just listen for it, since I know exactly what it sounds like. A good place to start for 18-20 psi boost would be an A/F of 11.3- 11.5:1, and maybe 14-15 degrees of timing up to and during peak torque(stock cams- 4k-5k), and after 5k rpm, start adding 1 degree or so up to redline for every 200 rpm. If your A/F is good at 20 psi, and its not knocking, watch the EGT's very closely. If they climb PAST 1600, add 1-2 degree of timing up top. If it knocks a bit, pull 2 dgrees at the rpm at where it knocked. It's really best to do all this on a dyno,where you can easily hear any knock or any breakup of the engine.

Small amounts of knock wont really hurt the forged pistons, providing it only lasts for a second or two. I've had that knock issue before the MS when doing a 5th to 4th downshift at 15 psi, but its not there anymore. The knock lasted about a second, and I've "made" it knock purposely to try and tune it out before with the 8 injector setup. Prolonged knock will be very bad though..You just have to be very carefull, and immediately get off the gas if you hear it. Even with that small amounts of knock I was getting, after having the head off last year, the pistons/combustion chambers all looked just fine.

If your A/F and timing are in tune, your EGT's will be pretty close to 1600 on a long pull at high boost. Not enough timing when running a rich A/F will make for high EGT's, esp at high rpm. A high EGT can also be caused by being too lean. But if you run an A/F of 11.0-11.5, then a high EGT issue will be timing related. The boosted 420a REALLY likes fuel at high boost(15+ psi)

fuel injection)

-2000 Honda CR-V(daily)

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Engine Management Systems & Controllers topic #738 Previous topic | Next topic