Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Engine Management Systems & Controllers topic #5879
View in linear mode

Subject: "MS2 Daughterboard upgrade for MS1 v2.2" Previous topic | Next topic
99RedGsNov-18-14 11:57 AM
Member since Jul 05th 2007
42 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#5879, "MS2 Daughterboard upgrade for MS1 v2.2"
Nov-18-14 11:59 AM by 99RedGs

Hi guys,

Its been a long time since I've been on here and I don't know if anyone even visits this place anymore, but I thought I would still post something.

I am currently running a very outdated MS1 v2.2 board system which is currently only controlling fuel. I want to upgrade to an Ms2 daughterboard before I add ignition control, but want to make sure I understand the upgrade/install correctly. It seems like a very straightforward install, but usually whenever I think that it ends up being more difficult than I expect.

My understanding is that all I need to do is:

1)Unplug MS1 chip
2)Install MS2 chip
3)Solder 2 jumper wires (12v and ignition output)
4)Install current MS2 code to bootloader
5)Re-setup everything in Tunerstudio

On a V2.2 main board you run the jumper wire:

from the unmarked through hole just to the right of X13 (and slightly below) on the MegaSquirt® PCB)
to pin #16 on the 40 pin DIP (i.e., JP1-#6 on the MegaSquirt® PCB)

Is this the only soldering of jumper wires I need to do or are there more modifications I am missing. I can't seem to find a video of someone doing this anywhere, so if you have a link to someone doing it that would be great.

Full disclosure, I bought this board pre built from someone on here several years ago. I don't understand all of the intricacies of the board, I just know the tuning side. I want to upgrade to MS2, but if it is a major task then I don't want to deal with it. This car has sat for the past 2 years and I am now using it as a winter DD so I thought I would tinker with it again.

Ah Vtec... All of the lag with none of the turbo

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

AdministratorCODE4Nov-19-14 05:53 PM
Member since Nov 23rd 2003
2552 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#5880, "RE: MS2 Daughterboard upgrade for MS1 v2.2"
In response to Reply # 0

Looks about right. I have never constructed a MS1 and later upgraded to a MSII processor, but as long as you follow the manual you should be safe.

http://www.msextra.com/doc/index.html#ms2 is the place you should be at, as the /Extra code is the most up to date etc, however they do not have anything related to running an MSII chip in an old 2.2 board. Follow what you have, and check the MSExtra forums for the easiest support as there are always active members there.

---

2012 2500HD LML

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

99RedGsDec-01-14 12:48 AM
Member since Jul 05th 2007
42 posts,
#5882, "RE: MS2 Daughterboard upgrade for MS1 v2.2"
In response to Reply # 1

Thanks for responding, I decided to buy the daughterboard and give it a go. I am using /EXTRA code so should be good to go there. We'll see what happens. Worst case I throw the MS1 chip back in and take the car to someone who knows how to set up MS2.

Ah Vtec... All of the lag with none of the turbo

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Engine Management Systems & Controllers topic #5879 Previous topic | Next topic