Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 3 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Engine Management Systems & Controllers topic #5861
View in linear mode

Subject: "No crank signal from megasquirt" Previous topic | Next topic
DstachAug-25-14 08:10 PM
Member since Dec 04th 2010
276 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#5861, "No crank signal from megasquirt"

Hello I am using megasquirt as a full stand alone. No stock ecu, not even the stock fuse box. 2.4 set up.

I have megasquirt3x board 3.57. I did all internal mods as it says from diyautotune (where I purchased the ecu). I am only cranking it over (no fuel or spark, no plugs in either). I have 12v running to the crank and cam sensor. I have power running to megasquirt all grounds from megasquirt and all sensor ground run back directly to the battery. I have 12 volts at the crank sensor. I had the coax wire with the white and black inside. I at first ran the white wire to signal and black to ground from the sensor. Nothing. I tried cutting the black wire from coax and running sensor ground directly to the battery. Nothing. I thought maybe I switched the ground on the sensor and the signal so I swapped them and still nothing. I have tuner studio set to
Spark Mode- "420A/Neon"
trigger angle / offset to 0.
Ignition Input Capture to "Falling Edge."
Spark Output to "Going High (Inverted)."
Number of Coils to "Wasted Spark."
Spark Hardware in Use to "MS3X spark."
Cam input (If used) to "MS3X Cam in."

I am lost at this point on what it could be. Any help will be appreciated. I hope I have enough info up. The coils and injector harness are both unplugged aswell but that should have anything to do with it.

-----
99 Eclipse gs (Daily)
89 Honda Crx (Drag car project)

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: No crank signal from megasquirt, Dstach, Aug-25-14 08:37 PM, #1
RE: No crank signal from megasquirt, Gruff511, Sep-03-14 12:17 AM, #2
      RE: No crank signal from megasquirt, Dstach, Sep-03-14 06:12 AM, #3
           RE: No crank signal from megasquirt, Tired2, Sep-12-14 12:36 PM, #4
                RE: No crank signal from megasquirt, eclipse982nrRST, Sep-16-14 10:00 AM, #5
                     RE: No crank signal from megasquirt, Tired2, Sep-16-14 12:07 PM, #6
                     RE: No crank signal from megasquirt, Dstach, Sep-16-14 04:49 PM, #7

DstachAug-25-14 08:37 PM
276 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#5862, "RE: No crank signal from megasquirt"
In response to Reply # 0
Aug-26-14 12:07 AM by Dstach

I just switched the crank signal and ground back to how I had them which I beleive to be correct. I removed the pin for crank signal at the connector and put in a new pin with a small lead comming off. I hooked that wire to a multimeter and the ground or common wire on the multimeter to the battery negative. It was showing ~2.5v it stayed at 2.5-2.45 while cranking and when I stopped cranking it went to 2.7v I thought output should be 5v? What could cause this?
I also tested the cam signal just to see and it also had 2.7x volts as the signal output. Cranked it over slowly by hand and it never changed a significant amount, less than .1 volt.

I have it wired as the haynes book states.
Pin 1- signal
Pin 2- Power
Pin 3- Ground

I read on here people have theirs
Pin 1- Power
Pin 2- Ground
Pin 3- signal
When i wire it this was I get no signal at all. Zero voltage.

-----
99 Eclipse gs (Daily)

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Gruff511Sep-03-14 12:17 AM
Member since Aug 06th 2011
203 posts,
#5864, "RE: No crank signal from megasquirt"
In response to Reply # 1
Sep-03-14 12:18 AM by Gruff511

DstachSep-03-14 06:12 AM
276 posts,
#5866, "RE: No crank signal from megasquirt"
In response to Reply # 2

I figued it out. DO NOT WIRE IT HOW THE BOOK SAYS, MIDDLE PIN IS GROUND.
I had to set j1 to jumper 3-4 and then set my ignition to rising edge to get it to "flip" the crank twice and cam once. I say that because crank is still upside down but it changes how it reads it so it works. Car just started. Also another little tip, use wire nuts to first test your IAC. I did it how some said to and it spins backwards closing the valve when it wanted to add air. Fixed that and it idled on its own with stage 3 cams 2.4 swap, with a turbo. (:

-----
99 Eclipse gs (Daily)

Tired2Sep-12-14 12:36 PM
Member since Sep 23rd 2012
124 posts,
#5870, "RE: No crank signal from megasquirt"
In response to Reply # 3

I ran into both of those wiring issues myself. Glad you got it going.

eclipse982nrRSTSep-16-14 10:00 AM
Member since Mar 16th 2004
6314 posts,
#5874, "RE: No crank signal from megasquirt"
In response to Reply # 4

Had the same problem, but took me a month to figure it out!

If you are standalone though, why are you running a cam sensor?

-MIKE-

Stroked 2.2L

Tired2Sep-16-14 12:07 PM
Member since Sep 23rd 2012
124 posts,
#5875, "RE: No crank signal from megasquirt"
In response to Reply # 5

I think he is going for sequential injection, which needs a cam sensor to know which injector(s) to fire.

Will your report back power increase or drive-ability, etc?

I've read going sequential can get you a bit more power but only if you really tune it in properly.

I'm on MS2, so I don't have the IO headroom for Sequential, but it would be good to know if it is worth the trouble.

DstachSep-16-14 04:49 PM
276 posts,
#5876, "RE: No crank signal from megasquirt"
In response to Reply # 5

Yes I'm going sequential. I'll give an update on when it's all done. I have to finish up interior wiring and mount gauges. It will be out next season. The 2.4 is actually in my '89 CRX so as long as I hook it should be a fun ride.

-----
99 Eclipse gs (Daily)

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Engine Management Systems & Controllers topic #5861 Previous topic | Next topic