Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 1 User in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Engine Management Systems & Controllers topic #1538
View in linear mode

Subject: "Electromotive TEC 3" Previous topic | Next topic
TeamDeanoDNov-25-03 04:20 AM
Donating 2GNT member
1099 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#1538, "Electromotive TEC 3"

I'm ordering an electromotive TEC 3 next week. I would like to start a discussion about using this engine management on our cars. If someone has this or an older version TEC 2, chime in. I would like to discuss installation and tuning issues.

97 RS(PTE SC-61, Built Long Block, Electromotive Tec 3)It's Here!

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: Electromotive TEC 3, TeamMichael_97RS, Nov-25-03 06:16 AM, #1
RE: Electromotive TEC 3, redeclipset, Nov-25-03 06:20 AM, #2
      RE: Electromotive TEC 3, TeamMichael_97RS, Nov-25-03 06:22 AM, #3
           RE: Electromotive TEC 3, redeclipset, Nov-25-03 07:51 AM, #4
                RE: Electromotive TEC 3, TeamMichael_97RS, Nov-25-03 09:16 AM, #5
                     RE: Electromotive TEC 3, redeclipset, Nov-25-03 10:24 AM, #6
                          RE: Electromotive TEC 3, TeamMichael_97RS, Nov-25-03 10:56 AM, #7
                               RE: Electromotive TEC 3, Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOne, Nov-25-03 11:05 AM, #8
                                    RE: Electromotive TEC 3, Joshua97478, Nov-26-03 06:22 AM, #9
                                    RE: Electromotive TEC 3, TeamDeanoD, Nov-26-03 06:27 AM, #10
                                         RE: Electromotive TEC 3, redeclipset, Nov-26-03 08:33 AM, #11
                                              RE: Electromotive TEC 3, redeclipset, Dec-01-03 03:26 AM, #12
                                                   RE: Electromotive TEC 3, vtcomp, Dec-01-03 07:06 AM, #13
                                                        RE: Electromotive TEC 3, redeclipset, Dec-01-03 08:05 AM, #14
RE: Electromotive TEC 3, rhui, Dec-02-03 07:42 AM, #15
RE: Electromotive TEC 3, Initial DSM, Dec-02-03 11:41 AM, #16
      RE: Electromotive TEC 3, TeamDeanoD, Dec-03-03 05:01 AM, #17
           RE: Electromotive TEC 3, TeamDeanoD, Dec-03-03 07:17 AM, #18
                RE: Electromotive TEC 3, rhui, Dec-03-03 09:36 AM, #19
                     RE: Electromotive TEC 3, TeamDeanoD, Dec-03-03 10:10 AM, #20
                          RE: Electromotive TEC 3, rhui, Dec-08-03 09:14 PM, #21
                               RE: Electromotive TEC 3, redeclipset, Dec-09-03 02:00 AM, #22
                                    RE: Electromotive TEC 3, TeamDeanoD, Dec-09-03 03:11 AM, #23
                                         RE: Electromotive TEC 3, rhui, Dec-09-03 08:11 AM, #24
                                              RE: Electromotive TEC 3, Kirby, May-18-04 02:19 PM, #25
                                                   RE: Electromotive TEC 3, rhui, Jun-03-04 01:28 PM, #26
                                                        RE: Electromotive TEC 3, TeamDeanoD, Nov-23-06 02:38 PM, #27
                                                             RE: Electromotive TEC 3, AdministratorStar Turbo Talon, Nov-24-06 06:32 AM, #28
                                                                  RE: Electromotive TEC 3, TeamDeanoD, Jan-12-07 06:35 AM, #29

TeamMichael_97RSNov-25-03 06:16 AM
Donating 2GNT member
5866 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#1539, "RE: Electromotive TEC 3"
In response to Reply # 0

Nice choice. I've looked at them and Electromotive is the only way I'd go for stand alone. Good software, I played around with the TEC-2, downladed software for free. Looked pretty user friendly and the start up help in getting base tning would be outstanding for a stand alone and getting into it.

Also make sure to take good care in indexing the trigger wheel.

I look forward to your review and input on it.

http://www.exileracing.com
una salus victus
Mods List: http://highlander.dsmpower.com/sig.htm

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

redeclipsetNov-25-03 06:20 AM
Member since Aug 30th 2003
398 posts,
#1540, "RE: Electromotive TEC 3"
In response to Reply # 1

im looking for a standalone. I was leaning for the aem ems. I've never heard of electromotive and was wondering if they had basemaps for our car and how much it is. The aem has some awesome software. There are even mods that can create a dyno.

TeamMichael_97RSNov-25-03 06:22 AM
Donating 2GNT member
5866 posts,
#1541, "RE: Electromotive TEC 3"
In response to Reply # 2

check it out at http://electromotive-inc.com

una salus victus

redeclipsetNov-25-03 07:51 AM
398 posts,
#1542, "RE: Electromotive TEC 3"
In response to Reply # 3

i'm just wondering how much is it. I've been playin with aem's software and it looks easy and fun to use. I'm currently at work right now and cannot download anything but i'm gonna take a look at this software. Are you sure that it's available for our car?

TeamMichael_97RSNov-25-03 09:16 AM
Donating 2GNT member
5866 posts,
#1543, "RE: Electromotive TEC 3"
In response to Reply # 4

It'a a universal standalone. Your wire it all up. There is no plug and play.

una salus victus

redeclipsetNov-25-03 10:24 AM
398 posts,
#1544, "RE: Electromotive TEC 3"
In response to Reply # 5

the problem is that it doesn't come with basemaps. You would be better off getting aem's race application. AEM doesn't have basemaps for our cars either but it seems like a better product overall. The tec-2 is $2200 i believe.

TeamMichael_97RSNov-25-03 10:56 AM
Donating 2GNT member
5866 posts,
#1545, "RE: Electromotive TEC 3"
In response to Reply # 6
Nov-25-03 11:03 AM by Michael_97RS

You price is a high estimate, retail is under 2k and actual sale cost is probably in the mid 1k range. There's a walk through on initial set up with the Tec-2 and 3 software, to help you set her up, with options to help account for things like individual throttle bodies, etc.

*edit* apparently (with a quick serch only) noby is really cutting prices on the TEC-3 yet like they used with TEC2. $1800 retail for ECU. The 2200 to 2500 should include the coil set up thay we don't need.

The only reason I would concider the AEM EMS, is the engineer who programmed the software didn't start at AEM.

una salus victus

Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOneNov-25-03 11:05 AM
Donating 2GNT member
14938 posts,
#1546, "RE: Electromotive TEC 3"
In response to Reply # 7

The AEM EMS isn't even an AEM product. They just purchased some other company that produced a standalone system and began marketing it under the AEM name. ProTuning or something?

Regardless, you're in the same boat with either system. the only thing the AEM unit has in its favor is that it is plug and play for **some** cars, but not ours, leaving the decision purely to aethetics. Frankly, Electromotive has been doing this a lot longer than AEM has, and i would be more apt to trust them.

'95 Eclipse TurboGS (garage deco)
'95 TSi AWD (restoring a survivor)
'97 Talon ESi-T (poor impulse control)
'99 Eclipse RS-T (daily beater)
'13 Evo X (mostly stock)
'17 Sienna (Middle Aged Dad Mobile)

Factory Service Manuals: http://nawdu.de/files/

Joshua97478Nov-26-03 06:22 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2662 posts,
#1547, "RE: Electromotive TEC 3"
In response to Reply # 8
Nov-26-03 06:33 AM by Joshua97478

Originally posted by DarkOne
The AEM EMS isn't even an AEM product. They just purchased some other company that produced a standalone system and began marketing it under the AEM name. ProTuning or something? Regardless, you're in the same boat with either system. the only thing the AEM unit has in its favor is that it is plug and play for **some** cars, but not ours, leaving the decision purely to aethetics. Frankly, Electromotive has been doing this a lot longer than AEM has, and i would be more apt to trust them.

I totally agree... if i EVER get to go with a standalone, I'd go TEC3. The only advantage i could see with the AEM EMS is it supports a 5BAR map sensor, allowing for higher CPU control of boost(i think). Supposedly though, electromotive should be supporting that soon....

"Michael_97RS: Why bother, you'd have an easier time getting Mother Theresa to give you head than getting MrLocalPimp to behave."

TeamDeanoDNov-26-03 06:27 AM
Donating 2GNT member
1099 posts,
#1548, "RE: Electromotive TEC 3"
In response to Reply # 8

I will be getting the complete Tec 3 setup(including ignition). It uses GM sensors for everything. The Tec 3 has a start-up wizard as it were. The wiring should take 5-6 hours and the car should be running initially in 5 minutes or less. Since my engine/trans will be out of the car and my built motor/head will be finished in a couple weeks, this was my final step. My goal was total control over fuel and ignition. After considering the cost of a complete fuel system and a piggyback ignition system, it wasn't that much more to step up to the Tec.

Used Tec 2 setups(fuel/igition) can be bought for $1200 with the windows version and correct sensors. If you have an older version that is not windows based, just send it back to electromotive to be upgraded.

I am still new to the Tec, but have many friends who are using both the Tec 2 and 3 on their daily drivers. After I read the manual and gain a better understanding of its features, I will pass information along. This is probably the most costly and advanced management system on the market today.

I am not a fan of the AEM and won't be discussing this here.

redeclipsetNov-26-03 08:33 AM
398 posts,
#1549, "RE: Electromotive TEC 3"
In response to Reply # 10

well i guess im gonna get the tec-3 in a few months. IT just seems that the aem ems looks more programable and it has a lot more gpo's (general purpous outputs).

redeclipsetDec-01-03 03:26 AM
398 posts,
#1550, "RE: Electromotive TEC 3"
In response to Reply # 11

so does anyone have a tec 3 in a 420A

vtcompDec-01-03 07:06 AM
Member since Mar 27th 2003
89 posts,
#1551, "RE: Electromotive TEC 3"
In response to Reply # 12

I use the tec 3 all the time and it is my stand alone of choice, the AEM was built by accel DFI. don't assume you will have you car running in five minutes, you might have it halfway idling. It is a sweet system. Take your time installing it, read both manuals completely before you install it so you can benifit from all the features. Also, the newest version of the software has some base maps now.

redeclipsetDec-01-03 08:05 AM
398 posts,
#1552, "RE: Electromotive TEC 3"
In response to Reply # 13

yea i think im gonna get it after i get my 2.2 fty engine. I just don't like how it doesn't have as many gpo's and the software isn't as good as aem's. I've played around with aem's a lot and like it a lot better. Does anyone know how much it is.

rhuiDec-02-03 07:42 AM
Member since Apr 06th 2002
262 posts,
#1553, "RE: Electromotive TEC 3"
In response to Reply # 0
Dec-02-03 07:43 AM by rhui

Hey guys... I am currently getting a tec3 put into my 420A Stock motor. I will turbo the engine after I figured out this system. It is truely an awesome system.

These are a few problems I've run into.

First off, at the time I bought my tec3, make sure you buy the right 30% UDP... you can't use the AFX pulley, I had to get a custom made bracket made so I can mount the crank trigger. The one they use is the unorthodox pulley, and I bought the kit for a 95-99 neon. I don't know if this is still the case...

Also, I had to get a custom bracket made to mound the crank trigger sensor to the 30% AFX UDP.

The biggest problem was zeroing the damn engine... theres no fucking stock timing marks what so ever. So, ya thats a bitch for a stock engine... if you are rebuilding, keyway the crank!

Ok, now the car runs... I am currently making a base fuel map... the car will be tuned on a dyno and not on street, so it won't cover all ranges.

Second problem, since the charging system is controlled by the maincomputer, car won't charge the battery... so the person I got my tec3 from is now working on it... he suggested to put a regulator on the alternator.

Also, a minor problem... the fans were also controlled by ecu. So, now I am hooking them up to the gpos. 1st one turns on at 65C
2nd one comes at 75C.

Oh and, I bought the DFU as well, but turns out you can use the stock distributor... I don't know if there is an advantage or not in using the newer DFU. The person who I bought the comp from says the stock distributor is good enough.

Other than that, I don't think there is any other problems.

If you guys want my base fuel map, let me know... I'll send it out.

BTW, I live in Canada, BC. Anyone else doing the same thing I am up here?

Ritchie

Initial DSMDec-02-03 11:41 AM
Member since Sep 23rd 2003
2833 posts,
#1554, "RE: Electromotive TEC 3"
In response to Reply # 15

Holeshot performance installs Electromotive TEC 3 in their customer cars, and theyve worked with several DSM's in the past. Theyre in NY if you wanna look them up; 516-435-6586

TeamDeanoDDec-03-03 05:01 AM
Donating 2GNT member
1099 posts,
#1555, "RE: Electromotive TEC 3"
In response to Reply # 16

The minor details are being worked out now. My Electromotive dealer is an expert with the 4G63 and rotary applications. This is the first chrysler engine setup he has worked with. Basically I am piggy backing off the 95-99 Neon setup(chrysler IAC and Crank trigger).

I am still trying to work out details of mounting the pickups on the AFX underdrive pulley. If we could use the Unorthodox Neon pulley with AC/PWR Steering/Alternator I would purchase it. Since I would definately lose AC/steering with this, I need to mount the pickups on the AFX pulley.

I am going to call unorthodox today and see if they can have the brackets installed on an eclipse pulley instead. If we are going to start using the tec, it might be good if they offered us a pulley for the crank trigger.

Another detail is ensuring the alternator will work. If I have to buy an aftermarket one and dump the factory, that is fine. Ritchie said that it cost him $160 to have his setup so it will charge the battery. Aftermarket might just be a cheaper solution. My long block/transmission will be out of the car, so rewiring everything will not be that much of a hassle.

I am just deciding on which wideband O2 to use for my setup. http://www.plxdevices and http://www.efisystems.com are my top two choices. Both use a bosch sensor and have tables for input into my Tec 3. I use the #4 wire(white wire on the PLX)for a signal into one of the general purpose inputs of the tec. I will get a display unit, but it will read the AFR in the TEC software also.

BTW: the price of the EFI Systems wideband setup is $549(little steep). It is suppose to react very fast though. I am most likely going with the PLX Devices. They have already tested them with the TEC 3 and it worked just fine. They said in their e-mail that it reacted faster than the Techedge and the same as the FJO. If it is in the same league as the FJO, that is good enough for me.

And the saga continues.

TeamDeanoDDec-03-03 07:17 AM
Donating 2GNT member
1099 posts,
#1556, "RE: Electromotive TEC 3"
In response to Reply # 17

I just got off the phone with Unorthodox(Joe in Tech and Nick in Sales). They said the only difference between the neon pulley(street or race)is the grooving for the belts.

They were not aware that Electromotive recommended their crank pulley for the application on the neon 95-99 crank trigger package. They said that the pickups must use the existing mounting holes used for their two piece setup.

I went ahead and ordered the street pulley, because I definately want AC/steering. I am going to give feedback to Electromotive about the use of the mitsu pulley instead of the neon pulley for our application. The rest of the package should work just fine as it is made to fit the 420A neon. I am also going to update Nick and Joe at Unorthodox about the fitment. Nick is actually calling Electromotive today to get more information on how they use their pulley.

If had to have brackets welded to the AFX, I would do that, but this will be a much easier bolt on application.

rhuiDec-03-03 09:36 AM
262 posts,
#1557, "RE: Electromotive TEC 3"
In response to Reply # 18

Originally posted by DeanoD
I just got off the phone with Unorthodox(Joe in Tech and Nick in Sales). They said the only difference between the neon pulley(street or race)is the grooving for the belts. They were not aware that Electromotive recommended their crank pulley for the application on the neon 95-99 crank trigger package. They said that the pickups must use the existing mounting holes used for their two piece setup. I went ahead and ordered the street pulley, because I definately want AC/steering. I am going to give feedback to Electromotive about the use of the mitsu pulley instead of the neon pulley for our application. The rest of the package should work just fine as it is made to fit the 420A neon. I am also going to update Nick and Joe at Unorthodox about the fitment. Nick is actually calling Electromotive today to get more information on how they use their pulley. If had to have brackets welded to the AFX, I would do that, but this will be a much easier bolt on application.

Oh wow Deane, you got a lot more contacts than me! Ok, so I got my car back now, and it runs great... I have AC/steering as well...drove it for a bit to try out the auto tune with EFI systems... and omg, soooooo easy. The car cranks over sooo nice and very responsive, not boggy like before. I just enter the desired AFR ration on my laptop at specific KPA and RPM, and bam, as soon as i hit that area, it changes the how much fuel is inputed there.

Anyhow, interms of the mounting the crank trigger, the AFX pulley works fine, just that you have to fabricate an adapter that goes inside of it... dont have to weld it at all because the AFX has three bolt holes that u can use to mount the crank trigger... That way if u ever need to change timing, u can just losen the bolt holding the crank trigger and move the cranktrigger wheel.

But ya, it does suck they don't offer a crank triggering system and mount for our cars.

TeamDeanoDDec-03-03 10:10 AM
Donating 2GNT member
1099 posts,
#1558, "RE: Electromotive TEC 3"
In response to Reply # 19

We will see how it works when I get it together. Sorry, I misunderstood you on the welding the brackets to the AFX pulley. Either way it sounded like too much hassle to mess with it. I am all about plug and play...LOL

rhuiDec-08-03 09:14 PM
262 posts,
#1559, "RE: Electromotive TEC 3"
In response to Reply # 20

Ok little update... I'm such an idiot .

Car's running great after getting some advice on how to tune it.
Got a base map... will start dynoing it to see gains from just fuel.

Email me if u need my base map.

redeclipsetDec-09-03 02:00 AM
398 posts,
#1560, "RE: Electromotive TEC 3"
In response to Reply # 21

how much is the tec 3?

TeamDeanoDDec-09-03 03:11 AM
Donating 2GNT member
1099 posts,
#1561, "RE: Electromotive TEC 3"
In response to Reply # 22

Ritchie, Did you get one from Polk Performance or somewhere else?
E-mail me the one you are using without problems. Sorry I couldn't be of further assistance with the map. I haven't installed mine yet and don't have enough experience with it yet to give advice.

Price for a Tec 3 depends on what you get. It also depends on the volume that the dealer moves to get electromotives maximum dealer discount. This generally gets passed along to the customer within reason. I am not sure if electromotive sets a minimum price for the management system/ignition so small dealers do not get under cut. $2000-$3500 is a rough estimate(Tec3, crank trigger/sensors/pigtails, ignition, wideband O2) Using all these parts it is closer to the high estimate. If you just use the Tec narrow band O2, that would save you quite a bit of money. I just wanted to take advantage of the latest software that electromotive released.

I don't know a lot about the Tec yet, but am learning as I go. I will do my best to pass along as much info as possible when you ask.

rhuiDec-09-03 08:11 AM
262 posts,
#1562, "RE: Electromotive TEC 3"
In response to Reply # 23

Hey Deane, don't worry you helped me out a lot!

Actually, the base map, we made ourselves. I took it back to Resnick's and he told me everything I needed to do to tune the car to a base map. Mainly, it was smoothing out the fuel map and adjusting the UAP and Pulsewidth of the injectors.

I still have some problems tho. My speedometer was hooked up to stock ecu... does any one know how to get the speedo to work without the ecu? This is the same as the AC, but i think we can solve that easily.

It seems im running out of fuel at the top end... injector duty cycle is 100% at 6000-7000rpm.
Im going to try switching the fuel filter to see... if not, it will seem i will need new injectors/pump.

Until then, I'm not gonna advance the timing until im sure theres tons of fuel to go around.

Ritchie

KirbyMay-18-04 02:19 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2181 posts,
#1563, "RE: Electromotive TEC 3"
In response to Reply # 24

Any new updates on these standalones boy's? How are they running for you? and what kind of numbers are you laying with these systems????

I edited to the wiki!

Originally posted by DR1665
NOTE TO SELF: Go commando to wedding. Scar the Irishman for life.

rhuiJun-03-04 01:28 PM
262 posts,
#1564, "RE: Electromotive TEC 3"
In response to Reply # 25

Originally posted by Kirby
Any new updates on these standalones boy's? How are they running for you? and what kind of numbers are you laying with these systems????

Well.. before my stock headgasket blew, I was putting down 138fwhp and 128lb @ 6100rpm (13.3-13.6 AFR). I can post the dyno graph, but I'll have to scan it.

The curve was no where as smooth as the stock one cause I was becoming lean at top. This was due to a lack of injector duty cyle, thus therefore lack of fuel.

It was bound to happen, my headgasket blew climbing a steep hill while going home... of course this was bound to happen with my driving style and a lean fuel curve.

Now, my car's waiting for a new engine.

TeamDeanoDNov-23-06 02:38 PM
Donating 2GNT member
1099 posts,
#2765, "RE: Electromotive TEC 3"
In response to Reply # 26

Any updates?

I've got about 400 miles on my engine and the Tec3 drives as good as the stock ecu.

AdministratorStar Turbo TalonNov-24-06 06:32 AM
Member since Oct 21st 2003
8331 posts,
#2766, "RE: Electromotive TEC 3"
In response to Reply # 27

Who are you asking? Look at the dates bud...lol

TeamDeanoDJan-12-07 06:35 AM
Donating 2GNT member
1099 posts,
#2880, "RE: Electromotive TEC 3"
In response to Reply # 28
Jan-12-07 06:35 AM by DeanoD

Originally posted by Star Turbo Talon
Who are you asking? Look at the dates bud...lol
Just updating a thread from the past. I didn't want to start something new.

Now get off my thread

Top 2GNT Technical Performance/Engine Engine Management Systems & Controllers topic #1538 Previous topic | Next topic